/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls General

Lush Lands of Niben Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Padomaic_Ocean
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/5g731c/ghost_ships_you_a_helpful_primer/
nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45960/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for horny bosmer

Second for Imperial Legionnaires

TES 4 should have been JUST the Imperial City, not the whole province of Cyrodiil. Imagine how awesome a city the size of a TES game would be.

>no game in the style of dishonored with the entire Imperial City
>no murdering enemy agents as an Imperial nightblade for the glory of your emperor
Trainwiz I know you'll be here, make it happen Trainboy, suck off Todd if you have to.

Oblivion really raped the Lore.

>tfw wanted to be an legionary in Oblivion
>wanted to see Roman and east-Asian influences in Cyrodiil
>got generic fantasyland instead

never forgive, never forget

You are able to choose one of the main 9 races to purge. Which do you pick?

>HARDMODE: not altmer

I see were off to a great start

Argonians in a second. worst race. Imperials second for being so boring

>we will never have a spirit sword
When Ansei? I hope the next game is in Hammerfell.

>cast Spirit Sword, cost: 100 magicka
no thank you

Lemme post my theory on Nirn spacetime here.

Its northern hemisphere looks normal, but southern one is "in reverse", instead of coming together in one point, the meridians diverge into infinity. Nirn is still a finite ball of matter, but its spacetime itself is distorted in such a fashion.

Moreover, Space and Time coordinates are linked in such a way that the amount of time between the beginning and the end of each Kalpa depends on the length of the parallel you are on.

Travelers from Tamriel towards either of the poles experience time dilation.
At the North Pole, Time moves so fast that you can't reach it before the end of current kalpa, and to outside observer everything that goes there appears to be frozen in time.
Closer to the South Pole, on the other hand, time moves so slow there that you can walk for 4000 years and not reach it, but when you finally turn back and return, not much time has passed in Tamriel in the meantime.

Basically, the closer to the North Pole you get the less time you have before the end of the current Kalpa - your time gets "eaten away". Which leads me to believe that World Eater form of Alduin resides at the North Pole, perhaps in form of some weird black hole. If you reach the pole geographically, at some point your time left becomes less then the time until next perceivable moment and you experience the World End, slipping into Alduin's Maw.
Alduin eating Nirn at the end of each kalpa appears to me as the whole planet getting sucked into this Maw, parallels getting shrinked to zero to fit in, landmasses falling into the singularity that is his stomach.

So, in the end, you can never reach the North Pole - there's not enough time in the world for it.

The South Pole is unreachable too, but for the opposite reason - space around it is stretched so much it's essentially behind an event horizon.
Perhaps that's where Aldmeris is now.

Tell me the bedtime story of how High Rock and Hammerfell sacked the Orsinium.

thats.... actually pretty original idea...
I kinda like it. but i have to think aboiut it.

can you tell us more?

fair to speculate about that since time essentially passes how akatosh wants it to pass

though what does this model really explain or where can things coherent with it be observed in the elder scrolls universe?
don't get me wrong, this is some neat theory, but how is it connected to what happens in other lore sources?
For instance, how does this model explain dragon breaks? What if someone uses teleportation magic to get to one of the poles?

Such as?

Overall it's based on a certain post by Cuckbird:

>Tamriel is the present. It is literally the center of time.
>Akavir is the East and it is in the future.
>Hammerfell is to the West and is in the past.
>Traveling from west to east means more than taking time to sail, it means sailing across time.
>Atmora to the North is frozen in time. As such, it didn't really exist at all.
>Aldmeris to the South is outside of time. As such, it didn't really exist at all.
>The moons? Now they're really weird when it comes to time.

Yes, albeit vaguely.

Things like how no one has ever been to Aldmeris (it's evaporating in time/just is Ald Tam RUGH!), why the Nords left Atmora, why and how (moving at strange angles, following the stars, whatever) the Yokudans left Yokuda, Cyrus having trouble sailing back to Yokuda and whatever emperor who invaded Akivir (the most interesting thing about all of this is that he was allegedly made of wood).

I think I just came up with an interesting idea for my UESRPG game. Thanks user!

As said, the unavailability of Aldmeris for one.
Also, invading Tsaesci force probably passed Atmora on their way to Tamriel because pic related. And then they vowed to serve Dragonborn Reman and formed the Dragonguard. Coincidence? Maybe.
Also, according to legends Atmora froze over time, so in my interpretation Alduin just slowly ate the space that was separating him from this continent. Perhaps slowly gnawing on it in his sleep, perhaps in some bursts.
Nords, who are descended from Atmorans, are also the only culture that has a World-Eating Dragon in their pantheon (inb4 Redguards, these are different story).

But mostly this theory was just made up for the heck of it.

Intriguing, it makes sense how you explain it, considering all the things concerning the poles
But I fail to see why Yokuda would be in the past and Akavir in the future
Do you have an explanation for that?

The greatest ansei could split atoms.

>atomos ≠ atoms

Plus there's all the "eat it to become it" stuff, how Akavir mirrors Tamriel and their search for the Dragonborn and the "Chrome Device" (is that still a thing?) and how that all ties into Talos.

It's either: representative of the past/future (like a metaphor), actually a different kalpa/cycle, or both.

They just are because they are. Time zones. Tamriel is the center of the universe, there ain't any other places that matter.

This is so, so, so obvious that I don't know how everyone doesn't realize this, but the Far Shores ARE Tamriel.

That makes no amount of sense.

It makes some sense. That specific interpretation, I mean. Because all the underlying theory is absolutely true.

And the greatest Yokudan kings got mpreg.

The concept of temporal coordinates being tied to east-west spatial ones is not integrated in my model for now, although I did try to envision it in relation to multiple kalpas. Alas, this only resulted in SAN loss.

I think it has mostly metaphysical and allegorical meaning. Like Redguards emerging from the last Kalpa in the far West of current one, or Chimer leaving Sumurset in self-exile to the East.
You could also view it as a weird sort of timezone system.

So far, I can see Time slowly rotating on the North-South axis frow East to West in a sort of current (or, if you will, the World floating upon Time in the opposite direction). So, when you go West, it's as if you are being swept by Time to the past faster than usual, and if you go East you are basically running ahead of all the other World, to the Future.

The only way if affects the model is that during the World-Eating, Alduin would appear to come from northeast instead of just north.

Put simply,
West = Anuic, East = Padomaic.

As you mentioned, the Velothi exodus exemplifies this. Just look at how every culture views Lorkhan, from west to east: hate, to indifference (Missing God), to reverence.

Oh, yeah, and it's also the name of the ocean itself.

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Padomaic_Ocean

Question: Why do people still debate the physical appearance of the Akavir people when in 2920 the Akavir are described as having tails and scaly skin?

Huh, this makes some sense. Also, Eltheric Oncean -> Aetheric -> Aetherius -> Anuic?

2920 is historical fiction and Oblivion had human Akaviri ghosts.
Before Oblivion not a single fucking soul imagined Akaviri as anything but snek people.

Nature of TES, unreliable narrators and contradicting sources. Essentially.

Because 2920 is a work of historical fiction written many years after the fact.

Every source makes it weirder: how they are referred to as snakes, vampires, or shapeshifters, how they appear as literal snakes in multiple texts, how the snake imagery related to the Padomaics, their whole "eat it to become it" and egg philosophy, their relation to the Empire of Cyrodiil and the dragons, their relation to the men of Akavir (and the soldiers you can see in Oblivion), what might possibly be a totemic society, and the very nature, ambiguity and legend, of Akavir itself.

This is definitely intentional.

Conflicting ideas and descriptions.

To be fair, 2920 is fiction, but that doesn't mean it's baseless:
>Carlovac Townway:
>There are very old warriors, survivors of Uriel V's ill-fated invasion, and they told me what they saw. I stand by my descriptions that the Akavir Potentates were serpentine, not only in temperament, but in physical appearance. Even if I did not have witnesses, there are too many descriptions of them as snakes to assume that all writers used the same metaphor. There is much in Redguard history which suggests ancient connections to the Tsaesci as well. Not only are many of the greatest heroes clearly influenced by Akaviri as well as Redguard culture - Gaiden Shinji, for example - But the whole cult of Satakal and the dungeon called Fang Lair... It is too coincidental. We are a rare generation in Tamriel, when few of us have seen any denizen of Akavir. I suspect that we're lucky in that.

Oh, of course.All things considered, I do think they're actual snake people.

And Zurin is one of them.

>And Zurin is one of them.
Naturally.
The Pig is the greater mystery.

>zenimax tries to establish tes as a huge flagship title
>trying to make it a franchise to compete with warcraft
>lending out the licence more freely
>making mmo, making card games, publishing books
>tes related official Veeky Forums material gets made
>it's elder scrolls: monopoly

>And Zurin is one of them
Zurin wuz actually black but them imperials went and wiped it from the history books
dont beleive me just look at the underkang he is clearly a brother

Fallout NV does a great job at scratching my 'slaughering giant insects' itch, here's hoping to more giant insects in the next Elder Scrolls.

It really is.

I think tier lists that get posted all the time on your typical /v/ TES discussion are fucking cancer. Each race has good and bad bits, some have more bad bits and other have more good bits, some don't have that many bits at all. If you're a good writer you can make all 9 interesting for a game. Maybe not likeable, but definitely interesting.

To turn the race discussion into a more interesting one, what's untapped potential for Tamriel's races you want to see more?

>Argonian sub-races
>Colovian/Nibenese distinctions (something we won't shut the fuck up about, but for good reasons)
>Nords with more Bloodmoon and Skyrim concept art flavor

even deeper than pic related

These little shits.
Velothi underclass of Morrowind.

I get rump rustled by the blatant flanderization of Bretons

I think there's a lot of room for subspeices in Elder Scrolls, like Skaal as a sub-group of Nords, Reachmen for Bretons, Colovoians and Nibenese for Imperials. Would be a good way to introduce new races without having to to write in actual new races.

What's some in-game autism you have, Veeky Forums?

>eat at least twice a day
>try to sleep every 24 hours
>unequip helmet and shield when in towns
>only use black soul gems to enchant personal gear

Nords should be broken up amongst distinct tribal groups and clans. Some of which are more just and some that have become more cultural distinctions and some that are still legit tribes.

Likewise Bretons should have their own distinctly recognizable ethnicities.
This gets posted entirely too often

Definitely. I think MK also mentioned regretting the fact that there are so many races and would rather have one race that's culturally broad and widened. Something you don't see that often in fantasy, weirdly enough.

One thing I love about Skyrim is how it seems to be moving closer to this model. It's a LOT harder to tell a redguard from a cyrodiil from a nord from a Breton in that game, and even some lines like Bosmer/Altmer are blurred. I want to see more of that in the future, with the distinct races only existing as official designations. In my mind, the idea of children taking on the race of the mother was only ever a legal distinction.

Hey Seht (or anyone else tied to the new UESRPG edition), do you have any plans for the number of skills/talents governed by a certain characteristic?

Because right now, if you put down Agility and Intelligence as favoured characteristics, you just have good access to 18 of 28 skills (25 of 38 counting Sub-Professions). Compare that to something like going Strength and Endurance, which relate to just 4 skills. There's also some redundancy, where Endurance does nothing Strength doesn't do better, and Intelligence does everything Personalty does (except Charm).
Now, I'm not calling for complete equality, and I do realise that characteristics like Strength and Endurance have great usage outside of skills, but it still seems too heavy on one side, especially in terms of Intelligence.
It just feels like you're left with a lot more options if you get Intelligence and Agility.

It happens in Talents as well, where Endurance leaves you with 4 options, Personality with 7, Intelligence with 27, and Agility with 36.
You've done a good job with making Strength feel worthwhile in terms of talents though, as it leaves you with 19 options.
Might have miscounted, but you get the picture.

I mean, in the current situation Bosmer seem good, and I won't stand for that.

There is nowhere in Skyrim or Cyrodiil that a Breton can call home, especially not Vvanderfall.

>the Realm of Apocrypha already contains all possible knowledge in the Universe
>the only reason Hermaeus Mora is seeking out more knowledge is to determine what parts of his are actually relevant and applicable and not just some random bullshit

>hate looting enemy corpses and draugr ruins because it's disrespectful to the dead and basically stealing
>feel guilty for killing animals or low level enemies

I don't know if I can play RPGs anymore because of this.

>Change out of armor or at least take off my helmet when in towns
>Wear my Amulet of Kynareth and prey at her shrines before under taking a great task or adventure
>Collect Mysteries of Talara and keep them near my bed away from other book shelves

Also, how come the Talent "Businessman" requires Intelligence specifically, when it's a direct boon to Commerce rolls, and Commerce as a skill is governed by both Intelligence and Personality?
The only Personality-based Commerce-related Talent is "Charlatan", where you just stop using Commerce and use Deceive instead. Admittedly, Charlatan is somewhat cheaper to get than Businessman, but Businessman seems to be much better, meaning a Int trader is probably just straight out better than a Per trader.

I'd also like to point out that unless you're a alchemist/enchanter, there's only one Crafting Talent that's worth getting, and that's "Efficient". And that really only applies to Smithing, though I guess you could argue it counts for Fletching, and maybe even Physical Craft or Engineer. That's up for the DM, I guess.
Either way, Alchemy has 6 related Talents, Enchanting has 6, Smithing has 1, and the seven other stock Professions don't have anything strictly related to them. So there's probably room there for something tied to Acting/Art, which gives a Personality-heavy character more options. Or maybe just open up "Efficient" to make it more general, so that someone with Seamanship can use it to sail faster or someone with Bureaucracy whenever some weirdo takes that skill can do paperwork faster or something.

Overall, I'm really stoked for more UESRPG, and I think it's looking great so far, but these things stood out to me.

>hate looting enemy corpses and draugr ruins because it's disrespectful to the dead and basically stealing

The scavenger encounters in Skyrim really make me question my character's life.

This image makes me wonder if there are half-dwemers around, and when they went all tonal did only half of them go or did they become like a tuning fork?

>one race that's culturally broad and widened

But how would that work? I suppose you could group together "Nedic" races (Bretons, Imperials, Nords) and Dominion Elves (Altmer, Bosmer) but the others are too distinct.

>Nords should be broken up among distinct tribal groups and clans

Maybe not necessarily in tribes and clans, but making the holds be more like medieval duchies, being their own states loosely united by a monarch and having a common Nordic culture but with varieties and different influences.
This could also work for the regions of Cyrodiil, and not just Colovians/Nibenesse, but the Golden Coast, West Weald, being distinct.

>Change into noble clothes in towns
>Continue to wear amulet of Talos and pray at his shrines (Sided with Imperials)
>Always give coins to beggars
>Always use the kindest responses when given multiple choices

but if you give coins to beggars after praying you lose your buff!

That was more about going back multiple steps of worldbuilding and re-doing it. Just an idea, thought, mind you. No beasts, men and mer. Just men or mer or beasts.

I don't know what he preferred, but I'll stick with men for the conversation's sake. Change all the races to men. Instead of using race as a major differentiating factor between the peoples; use culture, use religion, use mythology. Something.

And? I do it whatever order I want anyway. I don't let meta decisions get in the way of my choice.

>Maybe not necessarily in tribes and clans, but making the holds be more like medieval duchies
The Nords have always had a very tribal aspect to them. Prior to Skyrim their leaders were almost exclusively referred to as 'Chieftains.'
Though as I said, it would make the most sense that if with most groups, their tribal origins evolved to be more cultural distinctions, when I say this I'm thinking sort of along the lines of groups like the Franks.
Though there should still be a fair amount of actual tribal groups like the Skaal within Skyrim.

>remove helmet in town and walk instead of run
>sell loot at multiple shops instead of using the Dunmer from Battlehorn Castle addon
>collect all books that increase attributes because KNOWLEDGE
>litter half of my home with bones and the other half with flowers because Madgod

>>Wear my Amulet of Kynareth and prey at her shrines before under taking a great task or adventure

That's pretty kawaii, user.

How did people of Tamriel realise that Tiber Septim became a God? Did he rise in a column of light to heaven? Did he come down and say hi?

One day something in the West goes BOOM and he was always a god.

What is cute about praying? Are you not a pious Knight of the Dragon in service to our King Gothryd?

Is there any precedent on traditional Redguard wedding customs?
Would one spouse unsatisfied with an arranged marriage challenging the other to a martial duel to prove their worth seem valid?

>look what i can do
>boom
>wow guess he's a god

Dragonbreak raped the lore. Talos' apotheosis was a mistake.

Well the Nords kind of thought him a god to begin with.

Are you me?

I do all that but I only change into civilian clothes when I'm not about to do something.

>Kindness and mercy to everyone
> Almost never commit crimes (If it's for the greater good like destroying the Dark Brotherhood or contributing to my other autism)
>Collect one of every lootable animal or monster parts (hides,body parts, fish or bugs in Skyrim, essence, etc)
>Not sure if autism because I'm sure everyone probably does it but collect any unique weapons and apperal and try to get full sets of faction armor, as long as I don't have to kill for it or steal it
>Collect all types of alcohol (for unique ones for misc quests like firebrand or dragonsbreath or argonian ale I will pickpocket it and then put it in a merchant's invetory to buy it back but I also put something valuable in the victims pocket)
>Collect all types of gems and any unique item really
>Always walk away if bandits beg or flee
>Really liked Hearthfire and Battlehorn castle

How autistic am I?

reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/5g731c/ghost_ships_you_a_helpful_primer/

I wrote a thing.

That's actually the exact explanation I would have given

So here's the important question:

Ghost planet when?

is this a mod?

nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45960/?

We need more ghosts for that.

If they made Colovians distinct from Nibenese in some way, which I doubt they ever will then I'd probably drop Nord as my main race

No Altmer? Hmm. Argonians, I resent how whiny Skyrim's writers portrayed them.

Argonians seemed less bitchy when they were slaves under the Dunmer than they seemed as workers under Nords.

>Always walk away if bandits beg or flee

>''I yield!''
>attacks again

And I would let the motherfuckers live too if they just walked away.

Shitmer, of course.

Same, I want to play as a northern Colovian

Well, actually that isnt even that strange
Most of the slaves in Morrowind were captured by House Dres
House Dres is infamous for how good they are at breaking the minds of their slaves

The Argonian workers in Skyrim arent mind broken to work like their enslaved counterparts
So its not that strange that they would complain more than mind broken Argonian slaves

>showing mercy to murderous thugs who will no doubt return to their murderous ways as soon as you are out of earshot
>this is what the divines actually teach

There's actually a mod for that, although you cant really talk to them and it never says a location is cleared.

>make deal with Clavicus Vile for all the mer pussy I can handle in exchange for my soul.
>mfw I forgot about the orsimer

Agility and Intelligence remain strong in this edition, but we've done some things that are going to shift power back into Strength and Willpower.

An example: Block is now far better for several reasons, giving Strength characters a defense that works in many cases better than Evade.

For Willpower, our damage spells now have the option to scale with WpB in some ways and Willpower also plays into magicka cost reduction in a neat way that can enable you to run a heavy Willpower focused mage and be successful with less Int.

Talents are getting entirely redone, and I think you're right that things are a bit lopsided, but at the end of the day Intelligence is still going to be the "skillmonkey" characteristic. Agility is going to take a hit for sure though, there's no way around that.

As for the specifics of current talents, don't worry too much about them. We're overhauling them and most of those attached systems (like all of crafting!)

I'm going to be doing a full rundown of the big 3e changes soon, and it'll start to make more sense then.

I do those first three.

Also,
>Visit family at least once every three to five days.
>Try to find ways to pay respects to my chosen deities. Usually Julianos and Azura.
>When at home, spend some time cooking to RP that I'm making food for family.

Oh, and I should also say that Endurance is really good now. We've implemented a meta point mechanic revolving around Stamina that gives pure physical fighter types some more cool shit to do in combat that makes having more End worth it for more than just having a lot of HP.

Every time I see artwork by Kirkbride I haven't seen before, I fall in love again. I wish I could draw like he does

I want the next Elder Scrolls game to take place during the fall/disappearance of the Dwemer. Their steam tech in its prime, the enslavement of their cousins because they are refugees, grossly huge Atmorans removing Mer, a world unlike any Elder Scrolls game, and so on...

It's not autism, user, it's roleplaying. This is Veeky Forums, where people pretend to be elves and dorfs and shitpost about it online.

Anyways, there's too many to count, so here are a few.
>Eat at least twice a day, sometimes have tea time in Morrowind using Trauma root.
>Sleep every night. Normally at home with the family.
>Have days where the character relaxes and trains, maybe smokes some moonsugar or drink a bit or spends time with the family,
>Always carry utensils, a bowl, and a saucepan to cook in.
>Carry a rag and Sloadsoap to wash.
>Carry robes and a pillow or two for camping. Bonus for pelts, the Extra Comfy Pillow, or Icecap to stay warm at night.
>Learn as many spells as possible for the sake of knowing them. e.g. Emasculate.
>Decorate my house(s) to suite my character, normally put some Telvanni Bug musk around to make the place smell nice.
>In Skyrim pray to the deities that I like.
>Collect all the skillbooks/books I really like (such as Chance's Folly) I pick up. In Skyrim I put them all on one shelf and put all my used Spellbooks on another shelf. I like to think my character is teaching his son magic and uses those books.
>Keep instruments around the house.
>Cast water walking instead of walking over a puddle or walking in the rain.
>Keep Alchemy items in their own lab instead of carrying them around everywhere.
>Name my horse
>When I live in a town, go out and meet the townspeople. Essentially do a quest that would increase their disposition and/or just use speechcraft.
>Keep pets, be it a pack rat or a Familiar.
>Keep a fishing rod to help spend my days off.
>Always choose the merciful/good option. Use Speech to solve things instead of violence.

Which Tribunal is Best Tribunal?

I like the new Tribunal more.

I /want/ to like khajiits. I really do.
I just hate them so fucking goddamn much.
Argonians are also kinda shit, but outside skyrim they're rather charming somehow.
I actually sort of like altmer
Why "I aint got to explain shit"?