Planescape General and Q&A

Thread starter question: How would you use real-world cultures to inspire specific corners of the planes? There could be Ainu- or Mongol-like nomadic guardinals, virtuous samurai archons, a Wild West gate-town in the Outlands, or a Tenochtitlan-like Arcadian city.

Discuss Planescape and the Great Wheel here, whether the original AD&D 2e version, the 3.X version, the 4e version (traces of the Great Wheel exist in 4e, down to the baernaloths, the yugoloths, the Heart of Darkness, Maeldur et Kavurik, Tenebrous, Pelion, and the Last Word all being canon as of Dragon #417), the 5e version, or your own original blend.

I am exceedingly well-lanned on planar canon under a holistic blend of 2e, 3.X, and sporadically even 4e lore. If you have any questions at all about the setting's lore, feel free to ask, and I will give you direct quotes and citations from as many primary sources as I can, unlike afroakuma. I will note when something is open to GM interpretation, and explicitly note whenever I give merely my own personal interpretation.
If you would like to ask anything under the context of a single edition and nothing more, please mention such.

>Basic setting summary: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape
>Comprehensive Planescape reference index: rilmani.org/psIndex.txt
>Planewalker.com planar encyclopedia: mimir.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/plane
>Canonfire.com planar encyclopedia: canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Outer_Planes
>Rilmani.org planar encyclopedia (contains unmarked fanon, so beware): rilmani.org/timaresh/Outer_Planes
>List of all the multiverse's gods (contains all gods mentioned in D&D products, but also has plenty of speculation and fanon for mythological deities and for powers with few details on them): mimir.planewalker.com/forum/list-dead-gods#comment-58090

Old threads with previous questions and comprehensive answers: docs.google.com/document/d/1EC4fQ7qW0dNveXRDD2UZsB2NXbyIpEm-jCtTjwBQH3I/edit

Are there actually any good adventures in the old dragon/dungeon magazines? I've gone through most of the published ones, but dragon and dungeon don't exactly have stellar reputations.

sizzling-hot tiefling beach babes in hi-cut bikinis

The random tiefling generator chart had some pretty crazy results on it.

Bump

I am thinking of running a 2e planescape campaign.

Im interested because i loved planescape torment and because i heard good things about 2e. Also, I have had some good times in dnd 3.5 and some 5.

Can anyone comment on whether this is a good or bad idea?

This is the best idea.

2 edition is best edition.

IGGGGYYYYYYYYYY

Definitely. Just be careful of the supplements, TSR implemented a 'no play testing on work time' policy shortly after 2e came out, so some of the supplements can be pretty broken. Of course, if you're familiar with 3.x and its issues, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

iggy iggy iggy
oi oi oi

woops, out of cards, so done with tarot dump?

suggested supplements them?

Also, i plan on doing free form, but if there is anything good and pre-made please let me know.

I forgot how much I love these guys. Such good writing.

Nice, thanks for the dump.