Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Too tired to come up with questions; just talk about your favorites, wishlists, what's been played lately, news, whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First post claimed by /kdm/, undisputed KS king.
All hail the cock monsters!

Played Power Grid for the first time
Stayed in first the whole game then just barely lost in the end because I don't know how to play

>Drinks that close to the board

Not my picture

That map looks oddly like Ticket to Ride... I know it isn't but at first glance.

They're more different than alike

asking again because of bump limit last thread, what are /bgg/'s opinion on suitable replacements for Monopoly? I have seen someone mention Power Grid a few threads ago but I feel that may be a bit too heavy for my non-gamer friends

I prefer Shadows of Malice over Mage Knight but thanks for the laugh

Are there "hardcore" board games that don't require a college course to learn or take 100 hours to finish?
It seems all the most popular (and fun) ones get labeled as casual or entry-level.
Chess is a relatively short game with simple rules but I wouldn't call it entry-level.

>Are there "hardcore" board games that don't require a college course to learn or take 100 hours to finish?
>is there an instance of "a" which does not meet any of the defining qualities of "a"

Chess is an abstract board game, which gives it a huge advantage as far as being easy to teach/learn.

The closest thing I know of that seems to fit what you're talking about is Battlecon. It's fairly easy to learn, as far as "hardcore" board games go. It simulates a 2d fighting game, so it's usually played 1v1, but there are other possible configurations. Like in chess, almost all information is available to both players and there is almost no RNG. The main challenge comes from mastering your character and adapting to your opponent's character, and then reading their moves. In this sense it is easy to learn, difficult to master. There are many different characters with totally different abilities and play styles, meaning it's got huge replayability. Each game can take as little as 20-30 minutes once you know what you're doing (1 minute rounds, 15 round limit, short maintenance between rounds). Plan for at least an hour when you're starting out though.

I haven't really seen much about it on Veeky Forums, but it doesn't seem like you could call it entry level or casual. There are communities online that have Battlecon tournaments. There are several expansions that allow you to customize your experience quite extensively. And, of course, it's a blast to play.

Sup fellow fa/tg/uys!

Im here with a request; im in hopes of receiving some recommendations.

Here's the deal, im late on some christmas gifts for my cousins. We're really close and recently I've been able to get them hype for good ol board games! I want to get them at least 2 games.

Heres what to keep in mind: they're big fans of biblios, above and below, shadow hunters, dixit, dungeon fighters, code names, and carcassonne but the one game that rises above all in their eyes has got to be deception: murder in hong kong.

So any suggestions which may be similar to those games would be perfect!

They currently own epigo, talisman and risk. I have over 50 games by now so they've been exposed to quite a bit, but i really wanna get them something special that i don't already have. Ill try to post my collection via a list through bgg or maybe a pic later.

Im super appreciative of you guys even just spending the time to read this! Thank you!! If you do post a reply to help me out then id be ever more grateful! Cheers!

Anyone know a decent place to find scans of the Space Hulk:Death Angel expansions? I love the game, but I'm not paying the going rate nowadays for the expansions.

I tried to get the scans from TTS, but I have no idea what I am doing.

Deception is probably the best game in it's genre(s), but other similar games include Mysterium (probably the closest even though there's no traitor), and the entirety of the "social deduction" genre of which there are now many many games.

>played
Adrenaline. The weapons and arena-style map both scream Quake, but the gameplay is slow and deliberating. That doesn't necessarily mean it's boring, or that it can't be played fast and loose, but you won't win that way. I actually got into it despite going in skeptical.
Epic. Fuck all the haters this game is good. Did a quick 2p draft and play between games
Cairo Corridor. 2p Nestorgame abstract that I love
Fuji Flush. This game can be taught to anyone under any circumstances, even in a screaming bar of drunken football fans. 5-player might be the sweet spot for a short game

Any team games that aren't just red&blue army vs green&yellow army, but more like Captain Sonar where each team member is doing a different thing? Preferably no party games.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Quartermaster General are the only ones I know.

Games that have asymmetric teams: StarCraft (an FFA but can be played team vs team), 1775: rebelion and 1812: The Invasion of Canada have asymmetric team members (but same roles).

Ladies & Gentlemen for a party game.

Settlers of Catan is good

Not a board game, but I never feel bad recommending Artemis on Veeky Forums.

The resistance? Either with expansions or Avalon. It's not exactly army versus army but it is a team game.

DIY

DIY part 2

i dig it

What are some classic must-own 3-4 player board games?

Games that are not well known to the general public (not stratego, risk) but are extremely rewarding

I know this question probably gets asked a lot so I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask

This is exactly the right place to ask.

You say classic, are you mostly interested in old stuff, or modern classics too?

thank god i was scared you won't dig it

Papercraft?

in the same vain i was wondering what are really good oop games i should look out for (not ffg)

preferably the games that have not exploded in price yet. but i dont mind those being included.

>out of print
>good
>unexploded price
Pick two.

When people ask this, it's because they know Monopoly is bad but they don't want to ask a dumb question like, "What games are good?" "Monopoly but better" exists, but you'd be better off playing a good game that's not trying to be like Monopoly at all.

You brought up Power Grid, and whether there's something like it for non-gamers. Power Grid The Card Game just came out, which does away with the map. I haven't played yet, but this probably does away with half of the complexity. More importantly, most of the mathyness is eliminated, because totalling up how many cities and connections you can afford for the next two-three turns is no longer a factor.

If you like mathy, maybe the long-awaited Ponzi Scheme is for you. It reviewed really well, some saying one of the best Economic games ever, with one possible downside being that the game is about drowning in interest payments which people may not like. Lots of wheeling and dealing

Maybe you want something classic though. Acquire was just reprinted and I think the plastic pieces are really cool (you may have to touch-up the board for visibility though, pic related). It's just got that classic wealth-building feel that warms you up.

Feel free to clarify with the type of mechanics/feel you're looking for if you want more suggestions

>11111
>00
Witnessed

Both would be great, older ones are nice as long as they aren't too obscure/expensive

Kemet, mythic egyptian risk but better in every conceivable way, very aggressive,very good, almost beyond reproach even around here.

Mare Nostrum, period agnostic ancient Mediterranean empire building game, awesome hybrid of trade, military, and culture as victory paths, VERY strong player agency.

Probably the two I'd most consider modern classics that are huge trade-up's from Risk and it's ilk.

lol, no it's not

like I said at the end of the previous thread, it's more that I have a particular hole that I need to fill in my collection. over time I've also seen suggestions like Alhambra, Las Vegas, Fools Gold, For Sale! and Stockpile as "Monopoly replacements" from other posters here but I'm not sold on Alhambra fulfilling that at all when I watched a friend play it and the descriptions I've read on Las Vegas, Fools Gold and Stockpile on BGG didn't really convince me, I might have to look up gameplay videos on those. For Sale plays a bit too short for my liking

auction/bidding is preferred mechanic, I'm not interested in card games for this particular request so Power Grid The Card Game is out

sorry I meant Black Gold, not Fools Gold

I have looked extensively at the board game market and mechanics for the past few weeks and I've narrowed it down to several choices:

1. Pandemic (which I will most likely take)
2. Santorini (which looks great but not now)
3. Dead of Winter (mentioning it because it's one of rare games that's really pretty through and through) - too expensive and text based for purchase for someone on a budget
4. Carcasonne (seems a bit too random but fun, really nice design)
5. Neuroshima Hex (would be my 2nd choice but it seems that 3.0 edition comes with less features than previous ones and they throw in armies as exp packs), still, looks really good, good theme etc.
6. Legacy (Risk and Pandemic) - do not have a consistent group for these. Would 3-4 players be enough?

Maybe first play pandemic before taking legacy, and even then having a group that plays consistently keeps the tempo up. So if you have 3-4 people who also switch in and out its maybe not a good idea

Yeah, original game + expansions seems to offer far more

>auction/bidding is preferred mechanic, I'm not interested in card games for this particular request so Power Grid The Card Game is out

You might look at Puerto Rico and see if it might scratch your itch.

Colosseum is probably the game for you. You build your own Colosseum, you get money for putting on shows, you bid over performers to add to your acts, and you even roll dice and move the Emperor and a few other special pieces, hoping they land in your Colosseum and give you extra points.

I accidentally just realized Colosseum is the perfect Monopoly replacement. The new edition is either out now or later this year.

all versions of Neuroshima Hex have extra armies as expacs, the only difference between the 3.0 Z-Man and 3.0 Portal edition is that the Z-Man edition includes a fifth army which isn't sold separately. there was copies for a reasonable price on Amazon but that no longer appears to be the case

Well it's not too expensive, and seems fair enough. Hopefully we will get a STALKER themed game in the future, and I wonder what Pathologic board game is like.

Wow, really pretty design.

What are your favourite innovations regarding board games?

Do you guys just print your pnp games on regular letter paper?

I want to try the one deck dungeon pnp, but I've never done one before.

kemet, risk legacy

Not exactly a boardgame, but thoughts on Fluxx mechanics?

Is elder sign fun or is it just yahtzee

it's mostly just yahtzee

What mechanics? Random things happening until someone randomly wins? Kill me.

As far as Monopoly replacements go, this one works far better than it should - it condenses the basic components of Monopoly into something that won't take 5 hours to play.

Yes, I'm serious.

Thanks!

Just get the mobile version

Isle of Skye or Takenoko?
I'm looking for something that is simple enough to teach but also holds some complexity once learned the basics.

if I want a tableau builder, I'd get something with a more appealing theme like The Bloody Inn which is already on my wishlist

this looks good, shame that the secondary market price is ridiculous. I decided to go with Lords of Vegas (not sure why I said Las Vegas previously) after re-researching it so we'll see how that goes

Gonna pick up Captain Sonar and Mare Nostrum in my next order. Any $10-15 game recommendations for free S&H?

If you're ordering off amazon space hulk death angel is a good choice

Isle of Skye
Takenoko is pretty shallow.

I use 110lb paper for when I'm doing a pnp first run (basically index cards). If it's a game I really like I'll put it on matte sticker paper (preferably whole sheets, even better if you can get it done at a print shop) and then affix/cut on chipboard I pick up at Hobby Lobby. If it's something I want really thick/heavy duty, I'll affix to craft foam and then hose it down with varnish spray (you can get 8.5x11 sheets in 2-5mm depending how heavy you want it. Haven't done the foam often but debating doing it when I finally print out the stuff for a HotAC campaign. Rulebooks, I'd say 80lb would be pretty solid and wouldn't need to worry about it.

It's definitely fun, but the mobile version really does the game a lot more justice, it's theme is all in reading flavor text on the card, but the app adds sound effects and music that up the immersion. It's not very challenging after a while though so getting the expansion bosses helps. If you go for the physical version it really needs either of the last two expansions to feel immersive.

This, but I wouldn't call Takenoko shallow, just more firmly family weight than strategy game.

How hard would it be to get light gamers to play that?
Read the description on bgg but I feel like only 2 people in my group would really go for it.

Kenjin

Doesn't matter, if you don't like it scalp it in a year, it's somewhat popular going OOP forever soon.

Gonna buy zombicide black plague in a couple of weeks, looks pretty fun and the kind of game my group could enjoy, even if we play rarely.

Zombicide is kinda lame mechanically to be honest, mostly just chucking dice for an hour without a lot of interesting choices to make.
But black plague is definetly the way to go if you're still into it though, much better than the original.

True, also apparently it's a good solitaire game so that should be nice

It really isn't a difficult game fundamentally. It's brutal in difficulty, punishes you a lot, and is a little more complex under the hood than you would think. Luck plays fair amount into the game and sometimes things just don't go your way but when you do win it feels like you've really earned it. If your group gets discouraged easily or doesn't like to be tested every step of the way then this game may not be for them. But if not then they may like it

I know it is kinda a dice chucking game, but it looks that a game could take like one hour which is a plus right now, as my other games for the group are too heavy (mage knight, caverna, war of the ring, Imperial assault) or too light (carcassone, ascension, boss monster, munchkin).

For whatever reason, my group doesn't like Pathfinder card game even though I love it. Wish more games were like it.

>Boss Monster
>Pathfinder adventure card game
How are both of these games? I've been thinking about getting both of them

I found an eBay seller that is selling shadows of malice for only $27? Do you guys think it's legit or a counterfit?

Damn, you go all out. I'm going to throw some 110lb paper in my printer and try that out. Thanks.

Pathfinder does some really cool things, but undermines them a lot by using dice resolution for everything, so strategy tends to Boil down to padding your rolls with resources appropriate to how critical the roll is and then praying to the dice gods, but there's some nonzero quantity of fun still to be had. Recommend the app over the physical version.

Boss monster is. . . I don't know, I probably need to play it more, but my instinct is that it's just a little too random, and might have some balance problems with spells giving you a little too much ability to screw over other players. But that's just after a couple plays and I wasn't super invested to begin with.

I have the first pathfinder card game, I really love it, its the best game Ive played solo so far and when you find people that are into it its pretty great. The more people like pnp rpgs the more they like the game for whatever reason, I would have thought it would be the other way.

Boss monster is the total opposite of that, I don't really like it but it is the most asked light game to play in my table other than munchkin. The only advice I can give with it is to not buy any expansion, as other players have told me part of the fun is that it is quick, adding the expansion makes it an hour+ game which takes away the charm.

Sorry but what are pnp games?

Print and play, making up the game components yourself.

pen and paper, so D&D and the like, thats what I ment in that post, not the one you would use here that is print and play.

I don't print and play often, but when I do, I want it to last; besides it's another project to do when people cancel on game night, like making a map for my brother for a game I've never played, or updating those wife/kids rec charts. I'm currently looking at crafting storage, based on pic related, which seems like it'll take a while. Find the catches I want to use, how I want to craft the panels (looks like he used screws from the inside), what size I want to build, stencils for paint. Then the insert building, which I'm sure could take weeks.

Alternatively if you've got skills in paint/gimp/whatever The Game Crafter has done alright by me when I wanted a board printed for Elder Sign.

wait, sorry, wrong post, disregard my answer.

I'm going to do pnp of kingdom death, 300$ for a game is way to much.

When I do proxies like that I just use old magic cards and print them on normal paper, then put the copy infront of the car in the sleeve.

Sometimes you can reduce the cost by a lot if you know how to treat cheap materials.

Whats the difference between pandemic legacy amd regular pandemic?

I don't have the game but legacy games change each time you play them and after you finish the campaign then you are done with that copy of the game.

Yeah that'd work easy too, and I am a big proponent of saving money whenever you can. Any game I buy is obsessed over reviews, playtested, and then I won't pay anywhere near retail, and any pnp/storage/game bling project is the same. I've got a huge binder of half drawn plans, that just don't seem important enough to waste the cash on. Really it's more just another outlet for me to go overboard on, and a lot healthier than when I was drinking in my 20s, or gambling in my teens.

You make permanent changes to the board and cards as you play.

What is an euro type board game and what in contrast is the american one?

Euros are typically more strategic, while ameritrash has a lot of rng and player elimination. That doesn't mean that ameritrash games aren't enjoyable.

Oh wow. That doesn't sound like something I would like.

euro are games that you make decisions that don't directly affect your opponents. For example you take option A then no other player can take that option for the turn.

Other competitive games are just normal competitive games where option A is more likely "fuck over one player"

from what i gather a lot of eurogames are mostly about non direct player interactions thru taking board control; stuff like trading, economies, and resource management

True, good thing you got out of it. Another thing I like about pnp is that hombrewing is so much easier. In fact I will create a lot of stuff for that project I'm doing because I think the game is way too pussyfied for what it really tries to be.

so what are the best 40k based board games?

Anyone played Android: Mainframe? How is it depth wise?

Hey bros, I read up some reviews and ended up buying Blood Rage for like 50 bucks. Anyone got some highlights to share about their experiences? Given that me and a bunch of friends will be trying it for the first time, are we in for a bad time? We get into a few errors last time we played Super Dungeon Explore but I've taught a number of them how to draft MtG. Plus I played 7 Wonders.

You should read some reviews about the game and make a decision after that. It's always been the norm to keep your board games in good conditions and legacy games took that rule and flipped it on its head. This game has been #1 on boardgamegeek for a while now and has been dominating 2015 and 2016.

>Anyone got some highlights to share about their experiences?
They guy who played the unfun uninteractive Loki strat won two of the three games I was in, the third being won by someone gumming up the Loki strat through the use of a KS exclusive mini.
You got had, son.

>game is way too pussyfied for what it really tries to be
I looked at the original kickstarter and thought "cool a totally ai rpg....... shit I need to start a new 3.5 campaign"

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame
Huh, wikipedia finally got around to changing the page from German style board games; anyhow link related.

Also wanted to ask about experiences with Vampire Prince of the City

please share

All I've heard about are good things, doesn't even looks that rule heavy. I would watch a tutorial on how to play for good measure before playing it tho.

How is super dungeon explore?

Ill check it out. Whats the difference between red and blue?

I am running currently 2 D&D campaigns and 1 horror on my own system, so what I want from a tabletop game is to give me what I cannot have on a rpg game. Sexual themes, torture, powerlessness, regret, sadness, real events that would make you feel uncomfortable but that WOULD happen in a world of total despair. I mean, I would never rape a character in my games, not even in horror even though I have had players do it to npcs so I want a game that goes balls to the wall hardcore on it if it really is about horror.

Nothing. Pick your favorite color.

I found it complicated but fun. I was playing the dungeon master and was instructing them wrong so they had quite a few edges over me and also I messed up how monsters spawn. It does become a little repetitive on the dice rolls though. It all comes down to how atmospheric your dm is and how much you love the aesthetic I think.

If you want to ever finish it some time in the foreseeable century, three players + dungeon master seems optimal.