Lizardflok stories, go!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tMjFNB-mbI4#t=0m33
dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Quick, what can I say that will trigger as many people as the last thread did

> he rolled 3 dices instead of one and multiply by 3

> he only apply CHA once instead of applying it 3 times.

Why are there so many classes when you could achieve the same thing with just Fighters and Wizards? Rogue? Just a sneaky fighter with a focus on daggers. Sorcerer? Just a refluffed and weak version of a Wizard.

Why do you even have Fighter? Just refluff Wizard. Like...Magic missile is a high speed sword slash.

Wizards are just as good at hitting things with swords as Fighters. They have the same proficiency. Just build Dex or Strength, use the appropriate weapon, and eschew casting entirely.

Ranger UA is TODAY. Quick, everyone, what are your expectations?

Shield: deflect stuff with your sword
Invisibility: bending light with your sword
Charm Person: You show off your awesome sword skill to the target
Stone Wall: You stab your sword on the ground and slice up portion of earth.
Darkness: You swordmanship is so great, you can cut the light.

Fey Ranger
Anti-Undead Ranger
Battlemaster Ranger

I need advice for making a middle-aged ex-rogue halfling cleric for rise of the dragon queen. Trickery domain seems a given. Anything I should be aware of?

What I want: Stealthy/trickster/trapsman Ranger.
What I'll get: Spellcasting ranger which is just a weak version of druid without the shapeshift.

Trickery domain is one of the weakest domain.

Something something Trump something something Meryl Streep ecks dee

>Ranger
How do you know?

Because that's how the alphabet works?

He knows the alphabet.

Alright lads, I want you to name the spells every Wizard should know, no matter what school they went through.

Because every arcana so far was going in the alphabetic order without skipping any class, and last time we had paladins.

Sad. Any advice on how to make a cleric that also functions as an off-rogue? Over the hill bandit who's put his rough-and-tumble criminal days behind him?

Wish
Counterspell

Grease. Grease is all you need.

They're going in Alphabetical order of the PHB classes, last was Paladin. This week will be ranger. Learn your ABCs, user.

Hey /5eg/, how would I craft something with diamonds? More specifically, grafting a diamond shaft to something.

>druid without the shapeshift.
Yes please.

Pick a cleric and use dex instead of str. You'll probably want knowledge domain for emulating rogue's "I know how to do and operate everything" shtick.

It is, after all, the time, the place, the motion, and the way we are feeling.

Nature cleric already exists.

Don't start this shit again.

Life is hard for the 8 Int Wizard.

Trickery is alright. You will ne weaker than other cleric defensively and offensively (no heavy armor, martial weapon,blast spell). But cleric as a class is pretty strong. Just stay out of combat and spam Sacred flame and spiritual weapon.

you do realize a diamond shaft would snap in half right
or am i being pickaxe memed

...I haven't started it before?
Would a diamond made a decent blade? Because it's already in sword-form. I just kinda want to make it into a polearm of some sort. I figured it would be more allowable is I went whole-hod and bothered to ensure the shaft was made of the same material.

Diamond makes for incredibly shitty solid structures, as it's hard (meaning scratch resistant), but as brittle as a rusty aluminum can. You'd be better off with a metal blade with small diamond bits embedded into the edge, with a normal wooden or metal haft.

A whole sword made of diamond? Pretty bad. Like 100 times less tough than steel or something. I am pretty sure someone talked about it while discussing about Minecraft's diamond blade.

A diamond tip steel blade? Should be pretty good.

Well I mean it's already the blade for a fairly stocky weapon, so I think the enchantment (it's a magic weapon) might compensate for that. Or my DM didn't really look into it that much,

I just want a way to improve it for my character that's a little more internally consistent. If it's not possible, I might just see if I can use regular metal although I think if I could swing a diamond shaft I might get my bonus action attack t o count under the same enchantment.

The "easiest" way is to make it diamond-studded rather than solid diamond. Other than that, find a magic spell that shapes rock and convince your DM to let it fuse a pile of diamonds into a single object.

Diamonds are hard. That means they are difficult to scratch, cut, and gouge. It does not mean they are difficult to break, snap, or break. A child could turn a diamond ring to rubble with a single hammer blow.
youtube.com/watch?v=tMjFNB-mbI4#t=0m33

>whole-hod
goddamnit user i'm gonna trust you on this

As said, whole diamonds are not suitable for weapons. The best idea would be to impregnate a very hard metal with diamond dust or fragments, the same way that we put corundum or diamonds into drill bits and cutting blades for shop and metalwork. Such a metal would be terrible for a long blade, which must remain flexible, but you could get away with a spear or dagger.

You could also use multiple types of metals or steels in the construction of a blade. Softer, less rigid metal for the core, a harder steel for the blades, and something like diamond-impregnated tungsten/steel alloy for a tip.

Talk to your local dwarf. They can answer all your metallurgical, gemological, and smithing questions.

It's this time again. THREAD WAR.

>implying the DM will know any of this dogshit
>implying it won't just end with minecraft esque mechanics with diamond stuff being the best

How do I run a heist themed campaign?

Uh, that thread is ~50 minutes too late. The war is already over.

Then don't ask?

Play Shadowrun instead. It's fun.

Heist in 5e is pretty sad with Pass without trace Crag cat druid around.

It is your duty to not let your DM be an idiot. This is fourth grade geology and swordfag 101.

Stupid Urban Ranger/ Bounty Hunter
Animal companion focused Ranger
and if we're lucky A sniper focus ranger (Something that focuses on single accurate, Big damage strikes instead of lego-lame rapid shot, many shot, blender shot)

Person new to 5e here,
For downtime training it says you need to find an instructor, can this just be another player in the party and you pay them the 1gp instead? If that happened the trainer party member would effectively be giving up 250 days of downtime they could be using for themselves but effectively getting comfortable lifestyle for only 1gp a day (or modest for free) during that time.

Running heist is pretty much a turn-based thing.

You let the players gather infomation and plan stuff.

You let them follow that plan to a certain point then you present them with some obstracle.

Repeat the process.

>the hardest part of a heist is not being noticed by guards as you sneak past them
>every Druid, almost exclusively from temperate climes, has seen a fucking elusive snow leopard that cannot even be tracked by magic and lives in the ass-end of the frozen north
nigga have you even seen a heist movie
no one ever just sneaks past guards
if you need to roll a Stealth check once during your big heist you're already playing outside the genre and have fucked up bigly

>Shadowrun
>the game of 1000 rolls just to scratch your ass

Never watched a heist movie in my life, where is this guy wrong?

That wasn't me, the guy asking the question.

I appreciate that it might not make practical sense, but I think due to the magical nature of the weapon a diamond shaft might be what I'm looking for. I want the enchantment that comes with it, diamonds are a sorta magic material (they're the damn keys to reviving someone) and it seems more internally consistent even if it doesn't make real-world sense.

The only issue is I have no idea HOW to get a shaft of diamonds and attach it to the sword. I was thinking Forge cleric but... no dice, it'd be way more that 100gp.

Urban Rangers you say, two-eggs-shy-of-a-basket Edboy?

You sound like an absolute idiot who has no idea what he's talking about.

So I kind of want to make a level 3 Mastermind Rogue, because the party would love me if I can toss some Aid their way. My plan was Crossbow Expert with rapier and a hand-crossbow. That way I could attack with either weapon, and if I hit get sneak attack that round. Then use my bonus action to, say, give the paladin advantage. If I miss, I'll instead use the bonus action for a second attempt at getting my sneak attack in. One level dip in fighter for shield and medium armour proficiency, as well as +2 to my ranged weapon attacks.

My problem is, the rest of Mastermind Rogue is really shitty, and each level spent in a class that isn't Rogue is going to bite into my sneak attack quite severely. I kind of want to grab a few spells. I have three good stats to spend, so I'd be able to make my Int decent enough for a dip in Wizard, but to get to a decent spell level I'll lose so many sneak dice that it doesn't seem worth it any more. Is my best bet to just continue going into Mastermind Rogue just for the sneak dice, or is there some other way to salvage the character?

> Spending a feat slot and his archetype on getting mutually exclusive features that he won't be able to use in the same round
> Also deciding to multiclass into wizard for some fucking reason
Make up your mind about what do you want.

The actual heist doesn't happen until near the end of the campaign. Everything else is prep work. You have to:

Be scouted by the mysterious benefactor who will first test your skills to see if you're the right team for the job,
Scout out the location,
Get dirt on the workers and owners for blackmail or exploitation,
Perform a small-time job to test the private guards' and/or local constabulary's reaction speed and methodology,
Do a favor for the local criminal underground so you can get their help with some part of the plan OR trick them into running their own heist elsewhere which you sabotage in order to throw the fuzz onto them,
Quest for a magical MacGuffin that will help you disable part of the security system,
Arrange for the drop with some untrustworthy fuckers, possibly getting burned on the first attempt,
And finally execute your heist.
After that you may have another session where you deliver the goods to your buyer or the benefactor, evading the one canny detective who was always on your trail and also being betrayed by your associates.

Tell me your character idea and I'll tell you what I'd give to your character in my game.

A studded glove that increases unarmed strike damage to d6 and gives advantage to offensive grapple checks and Sleight of Hand checks.

Mastermind is only shitty in dungeon crawls, otherwise it is at least on par with thief
You can only use your bonus action for one thing. I understand it must be tempting to get so many options but you'll end up not doing anything particularily right

My advice is go full mastermind with a light crossbow and maybe pick up magic initiateat some point

No one crouches down and sneaks through the lobby by running from potted plant to potted plant. The job is too big to risk on someone's shoes making a squeaky noise.

Cameras gets cut. The guard is personally distracted by another member of the team, usually a woman with some distressing problem, so that there is no risk of them overhearing shit behind them or looking over their shoulder. Likewise, guards from secured areas are lured out. The guy who actually "sneaks" around and infiltrates isn't trying to tiptoe anywhere; he's in a disguise and walks around in full view like he belongs there, because anything else is suspicious as fuck. If you're dressed right and carry yourself properly, people, even guards and other staff, will think you're supposed to be there. That fucker might even walk right up to a guard and bluff his way past by insinuating he's an out-of-town member of the organization here for a surprise inspection.

A cleric, who was drafted into servitude and worship to a god he's never even heard of before.

No you're right. 3 Ranger Archetypes that have historically been in every edition and permutation of the game. No chance any of them will happen.

Sounds more like a warlock desu

If pic is related, a holy symbol that adds Dissonant Whispers to domain spells and Vicious Mockery as a bonus cleric cantrip. Vicious Mockery always comes out in a bizarre, alien language that cause intense feelings of madness, forcing disadvantage on the saving throw.

Don't we already have an animal companion focused Ranger? The beastmaster/beast conclave?

They're not mutually exclusive. Odds are I'll be able to hit an opponent flanked by one of my friends each attack, it's how all our previous games have gone so far. Movement to stay away from the enemies and try to lure them into triggering AOO from my friends, Action to get a sneak attack in on whatever the cleric is fighting, Bonus action to give the paladin advantage to set him up for a nice smite the next round.

I haven't decided to multiclass into wizard, I'm just really not excited about continuing into Mastermind Rogue. It's features:
3: Some proficiencies and the Mimic ability. Meh.
3. Help as a bonus action. Aid Ally range extended to 30ft. Nice for my party.
9: Spend a minute to learn if a creature has a better mental stat than me. Bleh.
13. Reaction to divert a hostile attack onto another hostile creature nearby. Decent, I guess.
17. Immunity to telepathy. Bleh.
Thing is, party damage output is way higher if I get two chances of hitting with my sneak attack each round, and can give my mates advantage if I hit on the first round. Advantage is worth more for the paladin than me putting out 1d6 extra damage, but me putting out 8d6 of damage is worth way more than the advantage, so Bonus action would be:
Prio 1: If my attack action failed (unlikely), use bonus action attack to get sneak attack dice in.
Prio 2: Give party mate advantage on an attack
Prio 3: Plink someone for 1d6 damage.
We're way more dungeoncrawly than social town stuff, so a lot of the court intrigue stuff is kind of meaningless to me.

I typed up this in the other /5eg/ but didn't see this thread was made, so I'm just copy + pasting what I said in "Half-Elf Urchin Sorcerer (Silver Dragon Bloodline). Constantly boasts that his mom is a silver dragon (when no one's even sure dragons exist, as the last one seen in recorded history was 2,000 years ago). Dad's a nice enough elf, but a bit distant, and never really laid down any hard rules for his kid. Mother is not around, father won't talk about her no matter what.

The overall idea is that this is a punk kid who pulled harmless pranks as a child with his magic, but as an adult wants to make a name for himself, to prove to his father that he is someone to be proud of after a childhood of delinquency, and to maybe meet his mother, even if she isn't a dragon but is some human girl."

Womanizer knight who lost his honor after falling in love with his king's queen, tried to prevent her execution for treason and ended up escaping his own.

You'll soon notice that apart from level 3 ability, all rogue subclass abilities are largely lackluster. It's because rogue's strength comes from his main class features, not subclass.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/artificer

A trinket that lets the sorcerer cast Hex with its own spell slots and lets the sorcerer recover 2 expended sorcery points per short rest.

I'd ask what the queen was like and any talents she had. The item would be a memento from her that did something related to the queen's talents.

A roguish chef who finds more joy in trying new recipes than stabbing people in the back. He worked under an elven mentor for several years before setting off on his own.
Mechanically, dragonborn thief rogue with the guild artisan background.

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
NNNANI?!

Literally nobody called that. What the shit, Mearls?

>Int 1/3rd caster base class
>Alchemist and Gunsmith subclasses
We Eberron now?

Storytime bitches
>playing SKT but our DM modifies everything
>presents us with a number of background hooks to take
>one of our player is a Ranger and his choice of adventure-background was "you don't remember much about your past, and lately you have begun to question your own capabilities and self-worth"
>said Ranger lies constantly and keeps revealing his "true identity" as an entirely different person each time we catch him
>wants to kill Zephyros after he's been so nice to us so we finally tell him to fuck off
>Zephyros also tells us about something related to this giant mess named "Helaton", but no one knows what that is
>Ranger-player decides to be a Warlock instead since he's not feeling Ranger
>get to Waterdeep and the Ranger is yoinked into a room by some noble guards for impersonating the local royalty, and is nearly publically executed (but then jailed)
>everyone is happy because he was a huge fucker
>new Warlock (who the Ranger was impersonating) joins the party and travels with us for the next 15 or so sessions
>side-plot-that's-actually-main-plot involves Imryth kidnapping a dwarf who has learned an amazing secret about giants, and we've mostly been trying to rescue this dwarf instead of kill giants
>met the dragonbitch in Nightstone where she was looking for a chest owned by the dwarf, which we had, but successfully hid from her
>lots of shit happens, we visit a lot of the dwarf's secret research posts and hide-outs, and finally get the key to open his chest
>it's a paper detailing some great secret that everyone immediately forgets upon reading
>even writing out very other word or letter or splitting up the story or reading it in a mirror or translating it into other languages and each party member memorizing a different piece doesn't help; any time it begins to make sense, you forget
>finally get to Eye of the Allfather, talk to a ghost and ask the oracle some questions
>even the oracle doesn't know what Helaton is

>3 Ranger Archetypes that have historically been in every edition and permutation of the game.
False

>Stupid Urban Ranger/ Bounty Hunter
Unnecessary, but I think only 3.5 had this.

>Animal companion focused Ranger
5e always had that. It's called beastmaster and the revised one is actually playable.

>and if we're lucky A sniper focus ranger (Something that focuses on single accurate, Big damage strikes instead of lego-lame rapid shot, many shot, blender shot)
No edition of the game has ever had this. I think this is something you just made up.

Holy shit, I did not expect that.

Shit, I'd love to play this. Shame I'm already a warlock in my current game.

Yeah, I guess. Even Arcane Trickster isn't particularly impressive, since it's so far behind on spells. When other classes are taking out entire squads with a single spell, AT is casting Disguise Self or doing some sneak attack dice, or incapacitating a single person with a concentration check until they succeed a save they get at the start of each of their rounds.

Underrated post

>go full mastermind
Never go full rogue, the capstone sucks. Almost always best to grab one level of fighter so you can grab a fighting style.

I am so horribly disappointed with Alchemist.

Color me surprised.

What the fuck!? Literally no one thought this was coming. But if they're letting this be playtest material - not to mention a full class - I can only speculate this one thing:

We're going back to Eberron, baby!

It has a dead level at level 11. I didn't think they did those anymore.

I knew there'd be some impetus to put out something big for the first UA of the year, but I never would have imagined this. How long has it been since Artifailure wizard?

I've had my suspicions ever since Monster Hunter and Inquisitive. Those two were very Eberron.

>ask him about this weird symbol we found in the dwarf's chest; tells us it's the symbol of Congenio Ioun
>our Wizard's mysterious benefactor (his background, also pretty sure it's the lich from PotA) previously sent him a book about Congenio Ioun, the inventor of said stones
>walk outside and there's Imryth
>vaporizes a wyrmling we stole from some cultists and starts fighting Harshnag
>our Warlock somehow goes SSJ thanks to his Patron when Imryth lightning breaths him
>Imryth also has a rock spinning around her giant dragon head
>Rogue knocks it off her head with a critical dagger toss
>I go after it but get crushed by falling rocks
>give Rogue Darkvision so he can find it instead and we escape
>DRAGON CULT is attacking our airship outside
>kick everyone off our flying boat but nearly crash because someone harpoon gunned a stone golem off the edge of the railing and it anchored us into a cliff before we cut the rope
>also the dwarf Imryth kidnapped is there now but he's unconscious, has no thoughts, and can't be woken
>Rogue discovers that attuning to the ioun stone allows him to remember the secret on the pages in the dwarf's chest
>FLASHBACK
>Imryth contracted some ancient GOO/Far Realm entity and made a deal for help with a spooky ritual
>said ritual would erase all knowledge of an individual from reality
>she chose Helaton, who is actually the firstborn son of King Hekaton
>the reason the Ordning broke is not because Imryth has replaced the heir with a shithead, but because no one even knows who the real heir is anymore despite him still existing
>ioun stone gets passed around so everyone can gain the knowledge
>Wizard-Detective goes into his lair and ponders over a massive Investigation check to solve the mystery
>FLASHBACK
>Zephyros, a diviner, knew who everyone in the party was when we met him
>except the Ranger
>THE RANGER WAS FUCKING HELATON
>entire table starts screaming

This is a stupid dead meme

That is a bit odd, it looks like 11th level just gives you an increase in dice for Alchemical Acid, Healing Draught, and Thunder Monger.

You learn 1 extra spell and a Alchemical Acid, Healing Draught, and Thunder Monger all become more powerful. It's not a powerful change, but it's not a dead level.

>still can't heal FORTY (40) hp like the Whizzurd variant from the Eberron UA with the Alchemist feat at level 5
>or mix potions they produce themselves, if your DM would be kind enough to allow the variant rule in order to bypass the 3 pot limitation at the cost of wasting your spell slots
>dont even have the risk of blowing themselves up
You MAD chemist bois?

I REALLY don't like the mechanical servant class feature. Not only it feels really out of place for both gunsmith and alchemist, it's stepping on beastmaster ranger's toes. At minimum, it should be it's own subclass. Like, a robotech, or golem maker.

>Animal companion focused Ranger
...you mean Beastmaster?

He means the Artificer's Mechanical Servant

>Like, a robotech
please
they're called macrosses

>it's stepping on beastmaster ranger's toes.
Everything does. A wizard does. A fighter with a dog does.

Anything that wizard can conjure up usually sucks, though, and fighter's dog has nothing on beastmaster's pet either.

I have a possibly contentious question: how do you deal with a problem player?

I kick him out of the group.