pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf
sageadvice.eu/2016/06/05/if-an-effect-gives-disadvantage-to-all-saving-throws-would-this-include-death-saves/
lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am thinking about requiering an action or bonus action to hold concentration on spells would that just be retarded or more ballanced?

First for kobold dragon hunting parties and 8 INT wizards

Heads up folks, we are expecting UA to come out today, but nothing published as of yet. Maybe within the next hour or two, so hold on tight.

It would nerf casters onto uselessness and ensure they just stopped using concentration spells. How do you not anticipate something like this?

Tell me your character race, class, and concept. I'll tell you what magic item I'd give your character in my campaign.

An amulet that increases martial arts die by 1 step (1d4 to 1d6, 1d6 to 1d8, 1d8 to 1d10, 1d10 to 1d12) and allows the monk to cast Friends using her ki DC.

A golden chain that lets the character use an action to charm the target. The DC is 8+prof+Wis. If the creature fails the saving throw, it is charmed and restrained by spectral chains unless the character holding the chain allows the charmed creature to move. Duration is 10 minutes, usable Wis mod times per day.

>Duration is 10 minutes, usable Wis mod times per day.
Add on concentration to duration, and damage lets the creature repeat the saving throw.

A bludgeoning weapon with the finesse quality. Adds proficiency to damage, but always deals non-lethal damage. Once per day, the user can gain advantage on the next attack with the weapon if an ally is within 5 ft. of the target of the attack and the ally is not incapacitated.

I'm a half-elf necromancer bard. I'm in it for the fame, but I'm also a coward, so as soon as I'm inside the dungeon and people can't see me I raise a few skeletons or zombies to be my meat wall or palanquin bearers.
It's my aspiration to one day be mayor, or maybe even exroy.

Thread war when?

>that thread: 10:32
>this thread: 11:26
why would someone even make this one

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CURRENT CAMPAIGN YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS

Old one wasn't linked in previous dying thread.

Modified hats of disguise that can also cover smell. For the zombies and skeletons.

>idiots don't punch "5eg" into the catalog before clicking POST on their new thread
just sage this shit and maybe it'll still be around when we finish the other one

The other thread is already full of cancer. Put it out of its misery

A desert bandit that uses tavern brawler to fight with his shield and his fist. Used to be the leader of a band of about two-score until some guy stumbled upon their secret hideout. Has an imperfectly healed knife wound on the heart where the interloper's slave stabbed him before he escaped

Go to the thread with all the cancer.

Funny you should mention that, it's something my character is actually researching together with a Magic Item Shopkeeper and our cleric. Except our idea is basically just simple guard armour with an enchantment, because I want my skeletons to be decent henchmen.

Trying to make a dust genasi for 5e because i love the idea of being born part elemental but the 4 basic ones seem too...strong leaning.
however these dour fucker look like they'd make great necromancers

so im thinking:
+2 CON (from genasi)
+1 INT (they are said to be smart but sarcastic)
breathless (they are said to not breathe, but maybe i should change it to be the same as air genasi?)
darkvision (just seems like it would make sense)
lastly im thinking about adding some thematic cantrip that uses CON as it's modifier,something either wind or earth related
maybe feather fall? or maybe something like an ability that kicks up dust providing cover and requires a fort save?

Half-Elf Urchin Sorcerer (Silver Dragon Bloodline). Constantly boasts that his mom is a silver dragon (when no one's even sure dragons exist, as the last one seen in recorded history was 2,000 years ago). Dad's a nice enough elf, but a bit distant, and never really laid down any hard rules for his kid. Mother is not around, father won't talk about her no matter what.

The overall idea is that this is a punk kid who pulled harmless pranks as a child with his magic, but as an adult wants to make a name for himself, to prove to his father that he is someone to be proud of after a childhood of delinquency, and to maybe meet his mother, even if she isn't a dragon but is some human girl.

lord if he was half dragon you'd be able to tell. characters with even 16th dragon blood have dragonic features. I can't imagine what a half dragon would look like.

>I can't imagine what a half dragon would look like.
There are pictures, you know. Like, a ton of pictures. All over the place.

>It would nerf casters onto uselessness
But arent casters much better than martial? Dont they need nerfs?

5e is decently well balanced. A lot of the time martial will do more hp damage than casters, and control spells have gotten a fair deal weaker.
It's not 3.5, at least.

would crawling claws make good familiars?
owls seem OP but i want something more thematic but useful
it seems all they have going for them is blindsight and climbing

Owls spit on every other familiar. Flyby is just that good.
Even so, Crawling Hand is still worse than Bat, which is flying with blindsight.

if you were a dm what "buffs" would you allow to be applied to a crawling hand to make it competitive to the other familiars (excluding owl)

I'd make enemies not pay much attention to the familiar. There's not really any reasonable buffs you can make to turn non-flying familiars competitive, short of giving them flyby as well.

NEW UA FOLKS.

>two threads at once

At least use

A female human Old One Warlock. Used to be a male tiefling, but died and bargained with his patron to come back 'by any means'. He was put in someone else's body and became very ashamed of his new form, using the disguise self invocation to hide the news from his party.
this sounds magical realm-y when I put it to words...

maybe increase move and climb to 30'
and double blindsight radius to 40' and add stealth?
that puts it on par with crab or spider

Yes, it really does.

bump

It was half my idea. When he was killed and I bargained, my DM offered to jumble my characteristics since my patron was chaos personified. I thought it would be fun to fuck with my party by keeping the secret, since they already didn't trust my CE ass. The new body gave my character new motivation to break my pact, which was my character's true motivation. I got a DBZ Shenron-style wish after killing the BBEG and became a force of order to oppose my old patron, so in the end it all worked out.

Eh, as long as you weren't the one who decided to change the gender of the character the fault really falls on the GM for doing it without giving you a way out. There's not really any way to fix that issue without cringe.

...I was the one who offered to go all out with it, so I technically was.

Fuck yeah. Let's hope this go at an artificer is better than the last attempt.

I think fog cloud once a day (fog of dust), more as you level, or maybe feather fall as you said, would be great thematic spell choices.

That picture is totally shadar-kai though, the whips'n'chains shadowfell humanoids.
I would stat THEM as
+2 Dex, +1 Int,
Medium, human sizes
30ft speed
Darkvision
Weapon Proficiency: Whips, Nets
Armour proficiency: Leather
One free cast of Misty Step per long rest
+2 to death saving throws

CG dragón born paladín of kord. In the monastery he was trained they workout instead of praying. He is a goodhearted fella, that appriciate strength in people and knows that there is more than phisical strength

>+2 to death saving throws
Death throws are supposed to be a coin toss. Nobody else gets a bonus to them; not necromancers, not undying warlocks, no one.

I would suggest instead the Half-Orc thing, where if you get reduced to 0 hp you can instead be reduced to 1 hp.

Cloak of Protection gives a bonus to death throws.

Didn't know that, cool. But magic items are different from classes, and definitely different from races.

Paladin's aura of protection gives a bonus to death saving throws.

Not that guy, but you got a source on this?

NEW UA OUT

Sure do! DMG159

CLOAK OF PROTECTION
Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)
You gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws while you wear this cloak.

Okay, at this point I've kinda basically been proven wrong, so I'm gonna keep moving the goalposts.

Are there any other races that give a bonus to death saves?

Come on, move over to the other thread already

sageadvice.eu/2016/06/05/if-an-effect-gives-disadvantage-to-all-saving-throws-would-this-include-death-saves/

Eh, not that I can remember.

Link to other thread?

Thanks.

yeah we know already it's the Artificer

Poor Jeremy, having to repeat himself 4 fucking times.

Does anyone have a tool to make medium and higher strength magic items? I have a tool for weak but That's it

>lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Is it just me or does the Gunsmith options seem underwhelming? The ranged attack seems fine, considering they have only 1 attack, but Blast Wave (9th level), Piercing Round (14th) and Explosive Round (17th) look like they do way too little damage for the level they get the ability.

Artificers look like they're supposed to be utility focused rather than damage focused. So it'd make sense if their damage output was more like a cleric than a fighter. It looks to fall somewhere between those two.

>2d6+9d9+DEX
What does this damage look like?

>9d9
Dammit

So I'm planning a heist to try and steal the Wyrmskull Throne, the only catch being that my very nice DMs have told me it will be nearly impossible as all the storm giants near it will try and kill me (I know the throne exists and appears at the end of the adventure, and requires the rod, but that's all I know). I may be able to get a Robe of Stars to assist me, so since the rules for being ethereal are much murkier this edition I have a few questions:

>Can you attune to an item from another plane of existence? I suspect no, but the rules don't specifically disallow it though Etherealness indicates that you will be unable to do so as you ignore the item.

>If you take an item with you into the ethereal plane, would that constitute being more than 100ft away for the purposes of breaking attunement?

>Do the borders of the planes that are abutted to the ethereal plane count as the ethereal plane where they overlap?

>can a part of my body occupy solid space when I return? I know my full body can't but, for example, could just my hand phase through something?

Roughly 50pts of damage statistically speaking.

Also, when the robe of stars says "...you reappear in the last space you occupied" does that mean you appear on the material plane from the last place you were on the ethereal (e.g. simply reappear as per the spell Etherealness), or where you were standing when you activated the ability?

There is a tool for that;it's called your imagination.

Wow, this was unexpected. And pretty cool, actually.

it's dragon-hunting kobold party

>Latest news
OP is retarded

haha my bad seems like I was just pretending guys

Aaand it takes you to the astral plane, not the etheral one. Trickier but can still make the heist work.

So i hear a lot of rumbling in these threads that Mystic is coming.
is that a for sure thing that Mearls said on twitter or something?
or is it speculation and Artificer shat on it?

Kobold gunslinger or alchemist now that I got an all clear from my DM?

Snakelike green dragonborn sorceress who sort of blundered into an investigation alongside a paladin and cleric into the cult activity of the Yellow King, while researching the connection she has to an elder snake deity on the side. Acts aloof and uninterested, but genuinely cares about the wellbeing of the rest of the party. Normally uses Disguise/Alter Self to appear as a human.

Gunsmith. Little dudes need to make big booms.

True. Now I've got to ask the DM if I can change lightning and thunder to fire damage to show his dragon obsession.

Amulet that changes breath weapon to Str to set DC, adds Str to damage, and sets breath weapon damage to xd10, where x = proficiency bonus

Wand that lets Alter Self last for full duration on you without needing to concentrate

Albino Lizardfolk Druid, homebrew campaign serving their God of Predation, Hunting, and basic aminalshits. And yeah, full evil party.

A piercing that lets you benefit from your scales in wildshape form and lets you use your own Con modifier in place of the wildshape's if yours is higher.

Well let's try my new one.

Kobold Gunslinger who was raised by Dwarves. Follows most of their beliefs and hopes to be a dragon hunter.

I'm building a dirge-singer bard and I was wondering whether it's worth it to take chill touch via magic initiate or just go straight vicious mockery. I was also wondering what spells to take for my first magical secret. I was thinking going with Animate Dead and Spirit Guardians.

No idea what a gunslinger does. I don't pay attention to anything besides official releases and UA.

First thought is a ring that gives you the paladin's Divine Sense, except it only picks up dragons and lets you add your proficiency bonus to damage dealt to dragons.

Sorry meant the gunsmith artificer. Gotta try not to mix those up.

Starting a campaign that is a bit spelljammey and is a crack setting full of various setting insides and Spelljammers flying around (still dont know rules, but players will start low, so theres time) And one of the players made an Aetherborn from Kaladesh. What race would be good to base the stats and abilities on? He knows the creature is short lived and is ok with it.

That's actually not bad at all, do like.

First game was yesterday, by the way. Anyone want to hear about the shenanigans?

probably tiefling, if only because of the stat bonuses and free spells

Halfling swashbuckler rogue who had to flee from his village after assassinating the father of the woman he loved (because he didn't approve the relationship and killed his own daughter), leaving their child behind with his own parents. Trying to find his calling and to make the world a better place for his child.

It's coming for sure. Artificer was just something outta nowhere.

>psionics
>sci-fi
half of this thread has been people calling others who say this retarded
why have you not learned

They should have released the mystic, now we have to wait to mid Feb at the earliest for it. Fucking hell.

Would ask for info on the woman he loved. It would be some memento from her that had a relationship to her skills or something she liked. It would be part of a matching set that allows two-way telepathic communication in addition to the first thing.

If the other half of the pair is shared with someone, you get some ability like the other person has and they get some ability like you have, probably the Lucky racial.

It originates from Sci-Fi but no longer is tied to it in any way, especially since they added bits about radiation from the Cthulhu Dimension. What's hard to understand about that statement?

That's not even the most recent update pre-Artificer

>It originates from Sci-Fi
That part.

Noble Human Barbarian. His house and bloodline has the tendency to fly into horrific rages, despite the foppishness they exude.

He's out and about in the world to discover the source of his family's innate bloodlust, whether it's truly the result of the once-indigenous people of the country cursing his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather as he explored (read: took over) their lands, or something different entirely. He's perfectly fine with anything, as long as he's the one that gets to discover it.

That sounds neat. Reminds me of the trinket I rolled for him, "a silver earring made from a real tear"

how do you deal with characters deaths? let them reroll, resurrect, or some original approach linked to the particular world you built?

I do, especially your team composition. Being evil opens up quite a bunch of possibilities for character creation.
I know a guy that's gonna launch an all-evil campaign myself and I might participate, so I would like to know how it is.

A pair of cufflinks that grant you temporary hit points equal to Con modifier plus level when you go into a rage. Any remaining THP when your rage ends go away.

Also something like: When you take damage, you can use your reaction to start your rage.