MTG Standard General

This is all of the hard and soft removal right now and almost 75% of it is unplayable garbage.

so much 2 dmg, 3 dmg, 2 dmg split shit

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-combotokens/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09
deckstats.net/deck-12089196-452ff7b26b1c063d11a164e746678c71.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New to mtg, what would a GOOD removal card look like in your opinion?

Also I don't know what your complaining about, the last couple of standard fnm's I attended I got wrecked by red blue control decks

>Literally 5 different mtg generals
Are they all active?

Doom blade

Not this one, it seems

Oh man, lets see

Lightning strike
Doom blade, go for the throath, ultimate price
Terminate, Hero's downfall
Journey to nowhere, banishing light
Vapor snag, essence scatter
Beast within

And there are tons more "fair" removal cards, unlike the ones wizards think they are broken, like lightning bolt, mana leak and path to exile.

Every time I've played Path or even Swords, it has felt very fair. Even when used against me. Sure it's W. but at least there is downside to the card.

Well since no one is posting I may as well post my deck
I know it's not competitive but I don't feel like shelling out another 50 odd bucks on a deck I already spent more than enough on, wich will be out of vogue in a years time anyhow. (Plus my local store ran out of copies of what I need and I don't trust online retailers due to past experience)

Land:
x18 forest
x1 blighted woodland
x1 Nephalia Academy

Creatures:
x1 permeating mass
x1 sage of shaila's claim
x4 servant of the conduit
x4 longtusk cub
x4 thriving rhino
X2 electrostatic pummeler
x1 architect of the untamed
x4 bristling hydra
x1 riparian tiger
x1 ulvenwald observer

Plainswalker:
x1 Nissa, Nature's Artisan

Sorceries:
x4 Attune with Aether
x3 woodweaver's puzzle knot
x4 larger than life

Instants:
x3 blossoming defense
x2 ornamental courage

So how shit is it?

Is immolating glare the best removal in standard right now, besides push?

Question pertaining to game design here:

As a card game that occasionally utilizes reprints, is it counter-intuitive for wizards to print cards with italicized "keywords" that contribute nothing to the game rules-wise?

Things like radiance, morbid, and revolt effectively put cards out of context depending on the plane; without this unnecessary label, wizards wouldn't be forced to print functional reprints if the name of the card is not plane-inspired, like pic related. It's also frustrating to see cards with mundane and general names permanently tied to the story of one plane due to these non-keywords that could otherwise be left out.

I'm sure there any many reasons as to why this is a bad thing. What are your thoughts? Should they stop doing it?

Players prefer Blessed Alliance over glare.

I think it's fine, they don't really make reprints that often anyway and it's important to have synergy cards for the mechanics of the block but also to make it simple for new players by having keyword for reccuring effects. Wizards owns more thesauruses than any library in the U.S.A so new names aren't really any issue

Blessed alliance, stasis snare, and Dec in stone are all vastly better.

It's helps for mechanical familiarity. Everyone knows the basics to what revolt does and don't have to spend time reading what the same effect a million times. The only that changes is the payoff.

I bought a fatpack and a booster box of Revolt for $120

How'd I do Veeky Forums

We won't know until you post your masterpiece.

Show us the goods and we'll tell ya

That's about $10 less than they sell for, so good on that. However it's super unlikely you'd get your money back on the singles you pull, so yeah. Of course you could still have a shit ton of fun with those cards, so it can totally be worth it to you.

What If I pulled ensnaring bridge

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-combotokens/

Seeing as today's thread is as slow as an actual game of standard anybody wanna help with my brew. I mostly play modern and limited but I have a hankering for tokens and as soon as I saw pic spoiled I have been trying to get a token deck into standard.

I've made a few changes to the list currently -1 land -1 Gideon -1 thopter -1 stasis snare.

I have included some more removal with grasp of darkness, that master card from the previous set and the artifact that gives non artifact spells improvise. The idea is to remove and disrupt until the token engine is down and going. It's pretty weak to board wipes at the moment but does have some resilience with the new enchantment almost guaranteeing a token every turn. Anyway helps appreciated. Cheers lads

Come on guys. I just want to play hidden stockpile and have difficult to remove threats and resilient tokens. It doesn't need to win fnm or a tournament. Just not get beaten by jank

There's no such thing as jank anymore. There is only our lord and savior UW Flash, the last deck in the last standard format.

What do you think about Scrapheap Scrounger in the deck user? it can be used as sacrifice fodder and can put some pressure on the opponent

I'd be a little jelly no lie

If I've never played and just want to have "fun" without dropping hundreds of dollars should I go with standard, or is some other format like commander better suited for me, or should I not buy into MTG at all?

This is pretty much all of the "good" removal in standard right now, and even then, some cards are better than others. The biggest problem is the lack of strong board-wipes; that don't have to meet some condition (Kozileks return; you have to play a 7cmc eldrazi for the 5 dmg...etc)

Do you have "friends" that also just want to have "fun" without dropping hundreds of dollars?

If so, grab whatever random cards you like and don't worry about formats.

Pauper is the most bang for your buck competitive format. If you don't care about competition and just was play cards cimmander is best format.

>don't care about competition and just was play cards cimmander is best format.
Okay thank you

I'm a rdw player and I don't play standard, let's see, usable burn in here is

- Incendiary Flow (not that bad to be honest)
- Shock (there were times shock was considered garbage, such is NWO)

- Fiery Temper (really good but has to be built around)
- Unlicensed Disintegration (needs black, requires a target, actually good though)
- Chandra (big red only)
- Fateful Showdown (big red only, also eeeeh)
- Burn from WIthin (big red finisher only)
- Nahiri's Wrath (big red finisher only)

So there is one viable 1cmc burn card and one viable 2cmc burn card and both of them would be filler in a real red deck to begin with. You can MAYBE get a third burn card if you play a very an archetype just for it.

This was supposed to be the red set? Red might as well not be there.

forgot collective defiance, I imagine using it to wheel somebody's hand is a huge meme

but three mana eww

The GB counters deck feels really strong, with Rishkar creating two mana dorks T3 you can cast Rishkar's Expertise T4, refill your hand and drop a huge threat. Like Gitrog or Greenhulk

Skywhaler's Shot is pretty good, add it into white.

fw nothing sweet for bring to light in aether revolt

Just play with the cards you have or print proxies to test out broken scenarios

If you're not going to play autists in tournaments you don't need to worry about formats

Actually playing the game for fun (read: noncompetitive in any way) is completely up to you and your friends, and I recommend against any rules that stipulate real cards otherwise someone will be a tryhard, outspend your group, and ruin magic for everyone

I feel like playing standard now. I was thinking of building aristocrats, panharmonicon or maybe g/r aggro. I enjoy proactive decks more than reactive ones, even though I feel control is going to be huge now.

>nothing sweet for bring to light
what is paradox engine?

Aristocrats loses scooter which sucks, but control being better really helps the deck.

g/r aggro is probably going to be a step above playable now that flash is gonna be on the downlow until someone optimizes a new build.

I remember at the beginning of the format everyone was jamming it

>lack of board wipes
Because Descend Upon the Sinful and Fumigate don't exist, right?

>Haven't payed attention to banlist announcements
>See video in sub box
>Emrakul banned
>Copter banned
>Reflector Mage banned
Yooooooooo
Did I miss the discussion on this? This is the first standard ban in years.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-9-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-01-09

I want to either jam spirits or something with toolcraft exemplar and scrapheap scrounger since I just bought into esper aggro a week before the ban.

I'm kind of optimistic about spirits with copter gone and delirium gimped, but I'm concerned about getting fucked over by aethersphere harvester. 3 mana for a flying 3/5 with 2 doses of lifelink is hard to beat when it has crew 1.

it makes me want to try the old controlly spirits build with the selfless spirit+boardwipe/avacyn wombo combo along with some instant speed interaction.

You are turbo late.

Anybody have any good brews with Baral?

not a deck

baral probably doesnt go in midrange and he definitely doesnt go in aggro so I guess that means he goes in a control deck but the problem is a 1/3 body is pretty garbage and he doesn't block much. looting is gucci and control decks usually arent doing much on turn 2 so i wouldnt rule him out there. Might be good as a decent post-board tech vs control for better card selection and tempo for counter wars

On turn 2 control decks are holding a counter or lightening to kill their opponents 2 drop

>mfw fat packs are $60 aud
>mfw boxes are at least $175
>mfw i have no face

He seems to be good T4 when you drop him and hold up a Disallow/Void Shatter with UU

4ww and 3ww are kind of hard to pull off when you're getting run over by vehicles/electrostatic pummeled by turn 3

Okay but why not just play a thing and hold back an unsub or revolutionary

Incendiary Flow is better with the Copter ban.

Lemme get this straight about removal

Black = pure kill spells and "destroy target fucker"
Blue = Bouncing shit & counterspells
Red = Hit for x amount of damage
White = send to the shadow realm or destroy/exile something attacking/blocking
Green = Creature throws itself at another and (hopefully) kills its target

Black also has deal damage, usually with gain life, and -X, and sacrifice. Blue has Pongify.

How is it not a deck, it's got 60 cards right?

also worth noting blue and white have lockdown auras usually i.e. pacify and claustrophobia and just blue has tap down for pseudo removals
Green has beast within, red has chaos warp those cards are clearly exceptions.

Why don't we have cards that have 'destroy target planeswalker' as a cantrip-like effect yet? Like, Expedite, except instead of 'draw a card', it reads 'destroy target planeswalker'.

These bastards have been nothing but trouble.

Well they printed a second Pongify for RTR.

We just need a proper amount of burn that can target players. And it feels like white should have some sort of punishment effect for planeswalkers.

How plausible is it to make a mono-green ramp deck in the (upcoming) standard?

Yeah I still wouldn't call it standard blue fair, they're experimental

WOTC has a massive hard on for walkers so good luck with that

Is it bad to hope for a Hero's Downfall reprint in Amonkhet?

It might as it would fit the plane very well. It would be spicy to see the art of Nico Bollas' shadow looming over someone like Jayce.

He should have been a 2/1

>blue creature
>aggressively costed
lol no, also there is an incredible amount of removal that hits 1/2 toughness in limited

considering there are no good ramp cards besides hedron archive, I'm going to go with not very plausible

the old G/R ramp decks liked to ramp into world breakers and ulamogs chained off of sanctum of ugin. You can still kind of do that but I think the ramp is a bit worse

alternatively you can use cryptolith rites to spam out tokens and then eat ass with decimator of the provinces which is a little like ramping

missing galvanic bombardment

lol no
>blessed alliance crumbs to tokens or a board state
>stasis snare is an entire 3 cmc
>dec in stone is sorcery and gives away card advantage for FREE

Your better off going mono green energy with RIP tiger. I love the fact that green/red is the only color to get instant speed energy.

Some form of UB or Grixis control will dominate this standard. You saw it here first

Grixis probably, butub alone never

Jesus hadnt changed at all, started playing 21 years ago.

Grasp of Darkness and Stasis Snare.

I honestly think every colour except green probably should.

The only reason I say green is that normally I'd suggest black since planeswalkers are just busted Enchantments, but black already has planeswalker hate.

If I'm trying to do something in U/B should I go for hard control until I drop a huge bomb to close, or a more midrange approach using Improvise cards and artifacts?

The format looks more like hard control.

>The format looks more like hard control.
Oh goodness no

>mfw land pass for 12 turns
>counter wars with shitty standard counters
>gearhulk shenanigans

Thinking about building pic related, need tips.

Why disallow over rebuke? Disallow seems better in the side for this deck especially because its double blue and you're in 3 color

Was thinking about switching those around

Three mana Nissa and some amount of Heroic Intervention in the side and mainboard. Disallow seems awkward, and I would only run 1 or 2 of Second Harvest as a way to suddenly win with Mecha Production.Possibly some Slip Through Spaces to punch through with Stoneforge Masterworks.

I would, also just a general tip for gameplay if you can slap your mechanized on the puzzleknot over a servo. it dodges removal better and gives you two artifacts even if one cost 2 to turn into a servo

Brewing a U/B Aggro deck focused on evasion and disruption, any idea of how to speed up my clock? I want to cute the Night Market Lookouts and the Aethersphere Harvesters, but there are no more good evasive 1 drops or efficient 3CMC beaters in these colours I just want faeries to come back
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Rattlechains
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner

4 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Essence Flux (Revolt enabler)
4 Fatal Push
3 Negate
3 Revolutionary Rebuff

22 Lands, 4 Aether Hubs

What about throwing in some Ovalchase Dragsters to close games out? maybe like 2

I was considering Fleetwheel, which feels like Dragster but better.

They specifically want to make unreprintable cards, but they don't want to repeat the mistake of making the block too parasitic. Lore/Plane/Legend linked names are an easy solution and also lets you put in the staples of limited/standard play with the local twist. Also people like reprints but not too many reprints. It's fucking weird.

With their print schedule, this is the saner approach.

from 1 to 10 how much of a piece of shit am I for planning on sliding a Smuggler's Copter in my pool at the pre release?

W: Only kills dudes that have done something that could be considered bad. Kill Shot gets creatures that have attacked you. Skywhaler's Shot gets creatures that are too large. White can also kill creatures unconditionally if there's some form or repayment, so it's "fair". Look at Path to Exile or Declaration in Stone. White can also "detain" (not the keyword) permanents with enchantments or creatures, but the permanent comes back if the thing holding it gets removed. (Oblivion Ring, Fiend Hunter)

U: Only gets to temporarily remove permanents. It does this with bounce effects mostly. Blue also gets to mess with power (Pin to the Earth). Very rarely, Blue gets to "downgrade" creatures by exiling or destroying them and replacing them with something that could be considered worse. (Rapid Hybridization, Reality Shift) Blue also gets to mess with the stack with counterspells.

B: Gets the most efficient removal in the game. For small costs, Black gets conditional removal. (Fatal Push, Disfigure) For medium costs, Black gets unconditional removal. (Hero's Downfall, Murder) The more mana it costs, the less conditional it will be. Black tends not to exile creatures. It also tends to give -X/-X instead of dealing damage, but it can do both.

R: Gets all the burn spells. The more mana it costs, the more damage it deals. (Lightning Bolt, Fated Conflagration) That's about it. Red can't straight up kill creatures as far as I know.

G: Green does actually get hard removal, but only for flying creatures. (Plummet) All of the rest of Green's "removal" is in the form of fight effects or things that are similar to fight. (Rabid Bite, Prey Upon). Green has gotten direct damage effects /rarely/ in the past, but R&D has said that they're done doing this. (Hornet Sting)

Hope this helped!

10 for cheating at a casual event
9 if it weren't a casual event

10, it's so unfair dude. It'd be more fair to slip in a gearhulk

t.guy who opened two in kaladesh pr

I want the gatewatch to fail and fail horribly
I want them to get rekt by dovans gimmicky thopter mass production deck
I want the kaladeshian government to improve by itself

So far the BBGs have killed literally no one of any importance and the restricrion on aether seems pretty justified

10 I'm bringing a Renegade Freighter to keep it lowkey

RG Energy beatdown. Fuck the pummeler combo, go this way, and make sure to get 4 copies of key to the city to make those bristling hydras unblockable

How's this for using clues to win with mechanized production?

Should I add a copy or two of pic related?

deckstats.net/deck-12089196-452ff7b26b1c063d11a164e746678c71.html

I don't know how I feel about Rampager.

Talking about GR energy, Highspire Infusion or Invigorated rampage for pump? This is also for the non pummeler version because pummeler is kind of a weird card I don't like.

>no one of any importance
>avacyn
>bruna
>sigarda
>ugin
>half of innistrad & zendikar's population

you forgot me, disperse!

i'm still legal you know!