/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/201440/Jovian-Wars--Alpha-Playtest-Rules-Package-v1?cPath=73_124
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Question of the Now: Sci-Fi or Fantasy? (skirmish sized)

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Weird war game with good minis, good rules, and continued support fucking when?

When you can go an entire year without masturbating.

Challenge accepted.

What game is in OP's picture?

Never. Weird War is cursed.

Both are good.

I am Bizarro user. I want Fantasy warband based skirmish, and I want sci-fi mass combat.

I also want a Judge Dredd-esque gang based game that takes everything 80's and runs with it. When will I be abled to pit my outraged accountants against my buddy's Intelligent Apes?

(Probably when I quit being a jew and actually buy Gangs of Mega City One).

A Judge Dredd-esque game sounds like a lot of fun. I think GW is going to be resurrecting necromunda.

I would assume a 25-30mm WW2 game, really could be any of them.

Is GoMC1 actually worth something now? It was on discount when it was released.

I don't think it's a WW2 game. One of the characters towards the bottom has an almost western looks and it looks like a couple might be dual wielding something.

About $15, I'm just cheap.

Alternatively, the rules splat is about $40 when you can find it.

Shame we never really got vehicles rules or the like.

I have the PDFs for Combat Zone, should just clean those up (convert cm to in, re-type everything, incorporate some of the fan rules).

Neither. Alt-history is where it's at.

>I also want a Judge Dredd-esque gang based game
Well, since Warlord has the rights, we'll probably get something eventually.

Hopefully their figures scale well with the Mongoose's since I grabbed a few judges when they were on clearance.

fallout

Sorry, should have changed the filename. it's This is Not a Test, a post apocalyptic skirmish game with strong thematic ties to Fallout. The facebook page has a lot of good content.

>Gang based tabletop game for control of a city.

Sounds sweet. I'd play a frost grave style game only in the future with warring gangs.

Also as a young guy I never got the chance to play necromunda. Was it a cool game? What made it unique?

What is Konflict '47 then? Sounds like it ticks all the boxes there

I think Rogue Star by Osprey Books is up your street then cause it's small group sci-fi action!

Necromunda was a cool game and fun to play with some distinctly different gangs with a nice campaign system. Wouldn't say it was unique, it was basically a 40k skirmish game that was based on a more detailed rule set. Different ranges for w weapons, modifiers and even varying dice which is why a lot of misty eyed nostalgia is attached to it

What are you working on, /awg/?

I'm currently starting work on terrain for a gaming table for Heavy Gear

Why is Prodos so incompetent

I should be painting but I'm full of cold and just can't get motivated.

There is a leak claiming a rerelease of necromunda.

I'm busy with uni exams this week but once that's done I'll probably crack on with Heavy Gear stuff.

There seems to be so many Weird War games that are or were only good at one thing.

Dust had great vehicle minis, abysmal infantry, and the shitcunt autist that held the IP spat the dummy when Andy Chambers was contracted to write the rules that people actually wanted, ripping the IP out from under FFG and causing a shitstorm chain of events that left the game out in the cold and me still somewhat confused about what happened/ is happening now.

AE-WWII had beautiful character models but never seemed to go anywhere. I'm not even sure what it was, must have been a really small fig count skirmish game based on the range.

Secrets of the Third Reich had some good minis, a few dogs too, on the whole a more chunky old-fashioned style that I'm not necessarily opposed to. Other than the thematic but clunky 'same profile for all servicemen plus a whole heap of special rules for weird units' thing, SoTR played beautifully. It actually makes a really solid historical game too. A partnership driven development of a not-Space Hulk game with some better but also sometimes jarringly different styled sculpts which were also very expensive to kit out an army with seemed to be strange choices. Lacklustre weird selections for a couple of base game factions and extremely slow release of expansion content probably hampered take-up. Worse was a complete lack of communication, developments only communicated second hand. A second edition kickstarter with the goal of expanding the game to the pacific theatre was launched but pulled on it's way to meeting funding goals, clearly the push goals were the actual objectives, dishonesty which still annoys me.

It is still on sale, British Army and Paras, Germany, USSR and USA have well fleshed out rosters with miniatures support. But with no new content it lacks the inertia for people to pick it up, there's a lot of magpie wargamers out there.

Konflikt 47 does a lot of things okay, a few things well (probably the best power armour out there) but on the whole (IMO) it doesn't meet any of the individual high points of the other games. Very much a jack of all trades, master of none, but considering it will likely be taken up by a lot of BA players which will guarantee it will be well supported by Bolt Action for a long time it is the all round best choice.

Like Bolt Action people will compare it to 40k despite all of the positive changes like the activation system largely because of the fucktarded compression of weapons ranges which causes absurd situations like troops from one end of the laser cut Pegasus Bridge being unable to fire upon the other. Why they simply can't trust us to break fire lanes with terrain like in SoTR I have no fucking idea, it's the key gripe I have with BA.

I really dont like the mech models for k'47.

Narrow it down a little, what part are you aiming at? They seem to be getting better with Warzone Resurrection. Which is all I care about.

I'm not touching the AVP shenanigans.

If you mean they have had to stop taking or dropping other people's projects cause they have been acquired and having to focus on getting better at their own game I can see that upsetting some people too!

Nice work.

I'm awaiting some goodies to arrive for Warpath and Deadzone. Need to pick a main force and paint it. Do some work on a secondary force and sort out some battlezone terrain.
I'm painting some figures for a couple friends with some more figures for others due as well. So loads of painting!!

I think they have charm, I'd prefer them to a more serious design that itself falls down in terms of feasibility. They are a bit playful, remind me of Pax Limpopo.

How do you guys store your minis? I'm up to some devious endeavors in the lab, think I found a great way to do it and replace my current set up.

Does anyone have recomendations for a good build your own warband type fantasy skrimish game that is more complex than SoBaH or advanced SoBaH?

I haven't played it so it's not really a recommendation but you could take a look at Otherworld.

Thanks user I'll check it out.

I keep forgetting this game as well

Can't find any battle reports of it. What does it play like?

Look for battle reports of 7TV, it's built on the same basis.

It uses the same core system that 7TV by Crooked Dice does so you could maybe look that up and see how that plays?

It's mostly roll a D6 to get a target number based on comparative stats with a bunch of mods, standard stuff.

15mm goodness from clearhorizonminiatures from the USA. Wonder if they have a UK supplier?

Would someone happen to have the expansion for Reaper's Warlord scanned? Can't find it anywhere and Reaper won't do shit when asked to release the rules in pdf form.

So, how do you guys store you wargaming terrain? Do you use a mat or modular tiles? Do you have a lot of terrain?

Back when I used to play 40k I never needed to buy terrian, as I only ever played at my FLGS and the GW store, and both had their own terrian. But after both of those closed down and I started playing Dystopian Wars I had to start getting my own terrain. Of course, the good thing about Dystopian Wars as that because of the small scale I could fit the terrain in my old Citidal cases.

Oh, and for a mat I use a navy blue tablecloth.

Advantage of Deadzone is you can store all the terrain and the have mat in the box, admittedly I got the first version with its massive box

IIRC the second had a rather massive box as well.
Alternatively you could make inserts for boxes to store your terrain in.
Or magnetize them. Or make them modular. Or never leave the house and always play at home, that's a viable solution as well.

Lol there is always they option!

The 2nd version photo of the box looks half the size but about 1/3rd again deeper but yeah big boxes help

Wow it's struggling tonight

It's been struggling a lot lately. There just hasn't been much to talk about.

Christmas and New Years just hit, everyone is recovering.

Yeah, it's the slow beginning of the year. At least there's some good stuff hearing from Mantic but that's going to be April for retail so that's a bit grim!!

Heading out from Mantic, what is wrong with this phones auto correct

And of course the grim bit odd the wait, should have made that more obvious!

The problem with Weird War is that they go too weird.
Without elements that tie them back to reality, you're just playing some fantasy game. I mean, Warmachine could be a game about Weird War 1, right?

You need the ability of your nazi mech to fight an M4 Sherman. Or some japanese soldiers who are suffering from malaria on some island to engage US Rocket Paratroopers. Or something like that.

Giving everyone werewolf zombie psychics and nothing else just leaves a dumb setting.

So how do the vinyl wargame mats compare to the rubber/neoprene ones? Are the more expensive rubber ones worth the extra money?

Tell me about these AVP shenanigans you speak of.

Yes buy the mouse mat versions, they store better and they are more hard-wearing. The cheap nasty one crease and tear and if you fold it well that's it. Oh and they mark really easy to, so spend a little more for a better product

It's a well know tale of woe, a young company off the back of successfully bring Warzone back from the dead via kickstarter made a deal with the devil. The devil taking the form of Fox, I mean really why would you deal with them, and wafted the AVP licence at them. Sucker's took it and ran to kickstarter and geeks threw money at monitors across the world.

Then Prodos realised that Fox was a lot slower than Paradox/Cabinet and a lot more controlling with their IP. Didn't help that Gearbox screwed the pooch with their disappointing game so Fox went into damage control. Product slowly got approved, but damage has been done.
To keep people in work Prodos appeared to be taking on casting and design for other companies, which didn't go down well with the masses but hay ho. It's damaged then enough to put off people from doing Warzone which is a shame as it's really good

Doesn't look like it.

Oh wow...so I guess I can add this to the list of reasons to hate Anthony Butch.

I feel like there needs to be a chart of all the wargame companies, and on that chart it should say all of the problems that a company has or had.

you wouldn't ever buy anything lmao

Nah, just because something about a company is bad doesn't mean the whole company is bad.

Is rogue stars pretty much frost grave only sci-fi?

It's similar in that it is a small scale skirmish game with integrated campaign rules, uses a d20 bases system and you can use any models you want.

That's where the similarities end. The gameplay and squad creation are all very different.

>Be spartan games
>Successfully fund a kickstarter
>Proceed to not talk about it at all on your blog

Sweet.

It's more sci-fi Songs of Blades and heroes but d20 based.

They're probably disappointed that it went nowhere, like Other Side, you could feel the desperation when they said they'd add in free minis halfway in.

Didn't exceed its goal and then some user? I just don't know how you have a success then not acknowledge it.

I'm confused by what you mean.

Let's be honest, Spartan has not exactly been the most expeditious company when it comes to updating, well, anything.

Guys would you be interested in an 70-80's themed sci-fi skirmish game. 10-20 models at maximum.

Thinking about going through the works of starting it. Or maybe just the late night tiredness is getting too me...

I finished painting three more 6mm minis, although I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with their bases (or what kind of game I'll play with them).

>Didn't exceed its goal and then some user?
The stretch goals were probably the actual goals rather than the stated one, a la Westwind with Secrets of the Third Reich.

Fucking christ... why do I even try and play /awg/ when the mainstream ones I like are run by idiots.

Really wish Heavy Gear was more Gundam and less VOTOMS

That's what Jovian Chronicles is for my friend. Too bad it isn't as supported as Heavy Gear.

Westwind a shit.
I love Empire of the Dead, but it is at best a half-finished system that will likely never get finished.
Also, what are they thinking charging 7gbp for a single pewter man sized model?

They're probably thinking it's half the price of a GW plastic figure. Some are £4. I've just had a look and they seem to be nice figures and reasonable prices considering the market. They look better than Northstars sculpts who do 7-9 figures got £23 but most of those are mooks not characters

It's coming back, actually.
drivethrurpg.com/product/201440/Jovian-Wars--Alpha-Playtest-Rules-Package-v1?cPath=73_124

I've got the vampire starter set, and they are nice figures. I still can't wrap my head around the price - I'd like to add some of the weird weaponry to my gang, but at those prices with the level of support the game is getting I can't pull the trigger.

Very cool, I did not know that. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm flat broke poor and I don't think they are over charging. In fact I'm tempted to take dip, if I hadn't just ordered some Warpath as I'm in sci-fi mode at the moment!

other side is typical Wyrd tho- just like with TTB they appear to not *want* a runaway success. Which makes a lot of sense- kickstarters get delays, making the delays even worse AND gutting the retail marked for years (because everyone jumps on the KS for the great savings) is not ideal for an established company that wants to have good relations with said retailers.

Spartan on the other side doesn't know it's ass from it's elbow when it comes to business, so who knows.

I come from Historicals, where I don't pay more than 2gpb a figure unless there's a really good reason.
Even Black Scorpion's beautiful (albeit resin) figs come in around that price.

>don't pay more than 2gpb a figure unless there's a really good reason

This is the only reasonable thing and wargamers deserve every woe for allowing >2gpb to become the standard.

Except it's significantly more complex. Which is a good thing. I would really like SoBaH if it wasn't so simplified.

Sounds interesting but I'd need more details.

Is the Other Side pretty much just a dumbed down Malifaux? That's the impression I got but I could be very wrong.

There is little reason for a company to not want their KS to hit a couple million dollars. Wyrd are no exceptions.
Standard practice is to set a lower goal than you want so that when goes off it immediately is like 300% funded which looks good and gets it better press. I guarantee that Wyrd was salty they hit a little over 200k in the first day then barely got to 250k 2 weeks later.

By all accounts yes.

What's the point of it then? Malifaux doesn't even seem that complex in the first place.

To try and grab a different market. Expand without expanding Malifaux.

Don't have anything designed more then the rough factions.

>Mining Corp PMC. Takes themes from 70-80's American fighting forces and things like aliens colonial marines.
>The Machinist Union. Communist robots tired of being exploited. Theme would be the propaganda images of the early USSR and modern north korea.
>The savages. Think 80's maybe 90's cyberpunk ruffians. Bright colored Mohawk blaring synthwave doing drivebys on the man on the back of their hub less motorbikes.

All of it takes place on a big mining asteroid turned floating freeport.

Progress continues on my Heavy Gear table, and I have realised 10mm houses are actually kind of small so I'm not sure 18 will be enough to populate a 3x3 board.

They also don't fully block LOS for Gears, usually obscuring 50-75% of the model. I am a little concerned this will make the fire lanes too open (HGB being properly 12mm scale, which is tricky to get scenery in).

On the other hand, mechs towering over squat, blocky adobe buildings and using them as waist high walls looks rad as fuck, proper Front Mission stuff. I will get some photos once my roads arrive, but the plan is a desert town in the centre of the table with some rocky outcrops on an otherwise sparse desert, with a highway crossing and the junkyard/ammo dump off to one side.

Does anyone got the axe and brimstone rules for advanced song of blades and heroes yet?

But they reached all their stretch goals.

I posted them a few threads back but I'll post them again for ya.

What about the gameplay?

Nice. Thank you very much. Bought the hard cover today and can´t wait.