Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How are you liking Spheres of Might, the Path of War replacement? What do you like/hate about its rules? What do you want to see from its new martials with non-combat utility? Does it make Vital Strike mandatory? Can it break us free from overPoWered?
docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing
Spheres of Might preview: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/shawl-of-shadowy-disguise
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/torch-palelight
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra
myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Martial_Focus
youtube.com/watch?v=eZkOn0-yt9E
dropdeadstudios.com/contact-us/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I NEED CHARACTER IDEAS FOR A KINGMAKER CAMPAIGN!

Make a glorious all-powerful psychic character. As far as I can tell, they're great for things like illusions and trickery due to not having somatic and verbal components for their psychic spells.

>Spheres of Might
>Path of War replacement
>Vital Strike mandatory
>break us free from overPoWered

Can I get a list of the books that mention or provide content for Conference Z?

Spheres of Might seems very interesting so far. It doesn't seem to make Vital Strike mandatory since the sniper sphere at least appears to have decent damage progression on its own, but it definitely makes Vital Strike a more attractive feat than it currently is. So far I'm already much more enthusiastic about it than I have been about PoW.

An Asmodean Cleric or Hellknight (Or both!) attempting to bring law and order to an unordered region.

Why must you bait, shitposter? It's not a replacement, it's practically its own system; Adam Meyers should just write his own game at this point.

Also, you're an idiot.

Serious question Veeky Forums: Just finished playing the "Wolf Among Us" and liked the concept of fairy tale creatures being among us in "real-life."
>Would Pathfinder be a good fit for this?
I know Pathfinder's distinct classes and abilities might warp things and delving into the realm of magic might be tricky... But is it possible?

>Would a high fantasy game work for a Masquerade setting.
Yes, but there needs to be a very strong motivation to remain hidden.

>Adam Meyers should just write his own game at this point
He practically already has it seems like. With SoP and now SoM, all you'll need from Paizo is the core rules.

How does it make it mandatory?

Here's my house rules for vital strike:

>Any character with a BAB of +1 or greater receives the Vital Strike feat for free. The Improved and Greater Vital Strike feats are subsumed into Vital Strike. When making a Vital Strike attack, the feat instead gives the benefits below based on the BAB of the attacker:

>BAB + 1 = 1x base weapon dice + rider
>BAB + 6 = 2x base weapon dice + rider
>BAB +11 = 3x base weapon dice + rider
>BAB +16 = 4x base weapon dice + rider
>BAB +20 = 5x base weapon dice + rider

Valid Riders:

>Any combat manuever (eg. Trip. The attack roll used for the attack is also used for the combat maneuver check.).
>Any (ex) feat or class ability possessed by the attacker that costs a standard or full-round action (eg. - Cleave, Dazzling Display).
>Total Defense (Gaining +4 to AC, but the attacker no longer threatens enemies until next turn).
>Aid Another (A successful hit replaces the DC 10 roll needed for Aid Another).
>Elimination of a single minor, self-induced penalty from the attack (eg. Nonproficiency penalty, nonlethal damage penalty, power attack or combat expertise penalty).

A feat:

>Maximum Rider Power (Combat)
>Prerequisites: +11 BAB
>You may choose to gain no additional damage from Vital Strike, instead adding a second rider. You may use this second rider before, during, or after the execution and resolution of the first rider. Attacks granted by the second rider are made additionally to those of the first.

>For example, if a fighter uses Vital Strike to make a Spring Attack, the fighter can move and make a single attack, and the Whirlwind Attack feat can be used as a second rider at the beginning or end of movement, or at any place in between.

Well, do you intend for it to be a modern time period or not?

The thing is, Pathfinder is only really good at high fantasy. It CAN do low fantasy but is iffy on it and there's breaking points, but it outright can't do horror, is very bad at mystery, and anything more advanced than a crossbow is going to cause issues.

As such, I'd recommend finding a different game to roll with, but if you can't, then yes, Pathfinder can be jury-rigged for this concept.

/pfg/ I'm trying to come up with character ideas for a Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign. Anyone got any thoughts? I get hardcore white-page syndrome.

>How does it make it mandatory?
I don't think it does make it mandatory, but the system seems to work off of combatants using the standard action attack action, which Vital Strike is compatible with, so Vital Strike looks a lot better on the SoM options than it does in core.

Are you a player or the GM?

An elf who is totally blown away at all the completely mundane tools and technology that the average peasant uses to survive.

A con-artist on the run and looking to make a name for himself with a new identity!

Player.

Patriotic Rostlander that aspires to be an Aldori Swordlord.

A lecherous bandit set on the straight and narrow for the better pay, prettier women and a chance to kill his old boss.

Bardic Noble bastard that started his journey wishing to write down the tale of the party before being whisked into leadership positions that forces him to kill the boy, and become the man.

How much, if any, 3rd-party materials are allowed? It might be easier to think of a concept if you have an idea as to what subsystem you want to mess with; Bloodlines/Mysteries, Domains/Inquisitions, Combat Feats, Initiating, Manifesting, Arcane/Divine/Occult Spellcasting, etc.

Interesting point. Would you not consider fairy tale creatures to be high fantasy? They have certain immortalities/defenses/abilities.

So I have a stupid question. Does anybody know if there is a concrete rule on height in pathfinder? the tallest "possible" human using the rules I could find is 6'6". I myself am 6'9", and I know there are people taller/as tall as me. Conversely the shortest possible human is 4'7", I know children are shorter, but I have met people this short and shorter. also, after reading the bit on age/height/weight, apparently you can choose your age but height and weight aren't stated to be optional.

TLDR: do people really care if your characters are taller/shorter than what the rules permit?

As far as I know, the only real mechanic height/size has is determining what size categories a character/creature may have. Beyond that's it's purely aesthetic, like the size of a character's tits, or color of their hair.

No one gives a fuck. But if you make an ubermensch 8 foot tall human other players will look at you like you're the piece of shit you are.

A Tian on holiday whose poor language skills and misinterpretation of local customs get them dragged into the struggle to save the city despite their efforts to be friendly and avoid trouble.

Fairy tale creatures very often fit into incredibly binding laws and customs, things that don't always exist in Pathfinder.
Once you get below 4 feet or above 8 feet you start to encounter problems with size categories, but other than that, no.

oh! good point. I looked on the table for medium sized creatures size/reach and the range there for medium creatures is 4'-8'. I can agree with that. Thanks! ^_^

Think world of darkness would play out better? Or perhaps NPC classes with templates?

World of Darkness is designed around the concept, so yes. NPC classes with templates sounds miserable.

If you want to tough it out with Pathfinder you're either going to have to have very cooperative players or a lot of fiat so that your players don't just go around waving their magic swords.

The infobroker who's memorized half the king's library and has been trying to steal the royal treasure

No, not the sword he knights people with, no knot the gem on the crown. The one that his great grandfather hid somewhere in the castle, swearing it to secrecy for as long as the Angel of Oncaath should survive.

>Spheres of Might
>Kobolds
>make them some kind of Sneak Attack class with the system, like an SoM Slayer
>Grab Scale Foe, Unwilling Boost, Agile Manuevers, and something to help with either movement or AoO.
>They come out of holes in wall, and jump on intruders, and start to stab them with poisoned or feces covered daggers
>After a few stabs, they jump off and run for a barracade
>Archers are sitting behind the barracade, and form firing lines to alternate shotting at invaders, using either Sniping Sphere and Covering Fire, or Overwatch Style
>They rain heck on invaders, while the guys who ran grab either their own ranged weapons, or start tossing tanglefoot bags and splash weapons
>Once the invaders get within 10 ft or so, they fall back, They trigger a Ceiling Spike trap.
>If that fails, or if casualties sustained are too high, they will fall back, communicate to the next line of defense, and regroup with the other soldiers.

>This is only the initial defensive line, it gets more intense from here, as they start having more complex traps and caster support, and higher level Kobolds and tamed beasts

DARE YOU ENTER MY TRAPPED WARREN!?

'sup Veeky Forums, haven't stalked in a long while: has PoW (especially the Primal Fury discipline) been fixed yet?
Any new Initiating archetypes for non-PoW classes?

I hope you all had tremendous festivities, I personally got back on the DMing horse and going through Kingmaker.

Seems legit.

Is there any method, in Paizo material or Dreamscarred Press material, of constantly (or near-constantly) shrouding oneself in dim light or darkness, without also shedding a wide radius of dim light or darkness?

I am trying to make the most of this item:
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/shawl-of-shadowy-disguise

But a Palelight Torch is too blatant for stealth operations:
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/torch-palelight

The character is supposed to be 4th-level, but any Paizo or Dreamscarred Press class will do.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....HAH! Hoooooo.....
No, no PoW errata has been released. That's just a fairy tale people talk about to try and keep faith in DSP alive.

There's a spell called Protective Penumbra, it's a level 2 Wizard/Sorc and Cleric/Oracle spell.
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protective-penumbra

They did take the time to tell the guy trying to homebrew errata on GitP to stop it, so that's whatever that is.

And I just realized you wanted it for stealth purposes, so this doesn't work.

Not Dreamscarred, but the SoP Dark Sphere Handbook Playtest has Penumbra talents for that.

This would do nothing for the Shawl of Shadowy Disguise.

Spheres of Power is not an available source.

>some random guy posts in my RotJR app asking to play my character
Fucking what? Can someone explain this shit to me? Is this some kind of roll20 idiocy?

>Wolf Among Us

Use Nobilis or Chuubo. They fit the whole fairy-tale struggle of myths vibe much better.

Ha, you missed us talking about it briefly in the last thread. He's probably just not that smart user.

Apparently someone thought it was some kind of casting call for a Pregen. Take it as a compliment, I guess.

I think its just that person being an idiot and not understanding how applications work and/or too lazy to make their own character

The kid thought the whole list of apps were premade characters for other players to play as. Take it easy on him pls

Is the Critique user from a thread or two still around? I'm interested to see his take on some of the other applications for RotJR, since it's evident that he or she is quite good at giving constructive criticism and recognizing the flaws and strengths of a character.

>Take it as a compliment, I guess.
I suppose. It's just kind of fucking weird at the same time.

What's this RotRJ stuff I keep seeing?

What's the best way to be good at fighting with ladders?

Rise of the Jade Regent-a campaign someone's running on Roll20. Starts off with the first book of Rise of the Runelords, then segues into the entirety of Jade Regent.

Yo, Jolly, You still in here? I gots a question.
Do you know how, if at all, SoM will interact with the Combat Stamina system? Also I know Adam in the Promo Video said the system will be able to be applied to most of the classes that currently exist, if so do you have any ide how that is going to work? Or is sharing that info currently verboten?

What's that from, anyway? Was there an Utawarerumono sequel?

Two, in fact

There was a prequel, but I havent seen it. The original was based on a VN, so maybe it's a sprite from that.

#hashtagwhyamIstillawake?
As of the moment, there's not any real interaction; although the idea of possibly using it as another way to regain focus is a possibility.

So what was the thinking behind Focus anyway? What brought it about?

It looks like that's Anju, a character from Itsuwari no Kamen, in the sequel game Futari no Hakuoro.

Turns out Psionic Focus as a mechanic is pretty good, so rename it for martials works out well.

Makes me want to see a Psychic Warrior archetype using both Psionic and Martial focus.

Is it?

myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Martial_Focus

This is not what we are talking about at all.

We sort of wanted a 'resource' that wasn't going to be spell points. Things would be slightly too static without something like that, although really berserker (once we get to show it off) does some REALLY cool stuff with it.

For me, it's that hard pop to really send things off; I think it was my suggestion, but we're 4 people talking at once.

Psionic Focus was another inspiration since I like that mechanic. If we keep getting people who want the name changed though, we probably will.

Working on the 'street fighter' class now, it's gonna be hype.

God, I hope we get my LG artist on this project...heart eyes...

I presume it was intended as some kind of limiting factor, but we already have Stamina.

>Red Love
That's not a breastplate she's wearing.

Yeah, it would kinda make more sense to at least reuse the Stamina pool.

Are you looking for an artist?

Nah, it's a symbiote.

It's hard to say for that myself since I'm not the lead, but I like getting my pocket artist in on things. Plus I have my own reasons for wanting to diversify the artistic roster of this project...

If you want, you could probably message Adam since he's no doubt looking for the most bomb ass artists he can get for this, we're still at a point where I think we're looking for this, I just love Yuki's art and want it to be my punch girl's designer.

Then why do her stats say she wears a breastplate?

>If we keep getting people who want the name changed though, we probably will.
Given the similarity in mechanics, you should at least change focus to something else like trance or insight. Otherwise people are going to keep making the Psionic Focus rip-off reference.

So me and my group were playing level 6 of Emerald Spire after essentially skipping the water level for not being fun, since unless you're built for it water levels rarely are, and whoo boy is our GM getting sick of this book that was marketed for supposedly being "super hard".

I'm playing a Ranger who's the secondary DPS behind the Barbarian, we have an AC tank dwarven fighter who's next to impossible to hit and a summons/chip wizard that will guaranteedly do SOME damgage each round as long as the opponent has no SR.

I don't know about anyone else but unlike my old days of playing 3.5 encounters with creatures of equal CR to us just aren't a challenge, even though I have automatons as my favored enemy even without that extra to-hit and damage dealt I still deal 1d4+9 with my sling (I wanted to try something new) at a +11 to hit, which for most enemies is MORE than enough to hit as long as I don't roll lower than like, 7, and even if they do have DR I bought adamantine bullets to pierce through that kind of stuff since I got wise to the fact that so many of these guys have DR/Adamant.

My AC is only 22 but very, very few things are going to hit me consistently, and honestly the biggest areas we seem to run into trouble seems to be when there's environmental dangers like in the first couple of floors when everything is dark and difficult terrain, or the water level because water is inherently difficult unless you're built for it.

I dunno, it just seems like these Pathfinder Society guys don't really know how to make things truly difficult unless the people playing are complete fools with their character creation.

Because she presumably wears one in battle, not when hunting down prey.

That's fair, I mean it's basically our psionic focus, but at the same time, the name isn't a big issue for me (as opposed to wanting to keep the boxing sphere called the boxing sphere).

Those are even worse names.

Personally, I kinda like both. Focus creates a sorta Passive vs Dynamic Cash-in system that can be renewed between combat easily, while Stamina is for those "Reach into your reserves of inner strength" dynamic.

Personally, I'd have both, and put in a caveat that after expending focus, you can expend a certain amount of Stamina to regain focus

>(as opposed to wanting to keep the boxing sphere called the boxing sphere)
How about "Pugilism" Sphere?

Right now we're still in the early stages of balancing focus, so the ability to get it back that easily might be a bit rough. Maybe stamina + swift action would work, but we're still kicking around the sports circle about it.

That's the proposed name, but I like boxing because of how I envision it, which is Ippo.

>I dunno, it just seems like these Pathfinder Society guys don't really know how to make things truly difficult unless the people playing are complete fools with their character creation
Occam's razor is perfectly accurate here.

This AP is difficult for terribly designed characters.

I'd rather not see the Stamina system get mixed in. That's one more subsystem from one more book I have to deal with. I'd rather one nice neat system that covers what it's supposed to do on its own, preferably not point-based.

This is actually my plan for the next game I run, just to see how it works. Once I see more of SoM, I plan to design a setting around a world where it's nothing but NPC classes, SoP classes, and SoM classes.

Fisticuffs sphere.

On a scale of 1-10 how edgy is turning my arms into giant katana? Because I figured out a way how.

Pankration?

But here's the thing, the first couple of floors were actually legitimately hard! Granted, that's because even though 3/4ths of our party had darkvision we were still practically blind, but friggin Vengeance was much harder than this when we were going through that campaign because the story did things that caused our resources to become strained, and there was little to no ability to just leave an encounter or dungeon until we were able to come back later, refreshed and ready to do battle.

See pic for how edgy that is.

That was our general thought there; we want you to reference as few books as possible, which is why we're also not using Paizo's called shots...also because they're TERRIBLE.

That...isn't terrible.

That involves more than just karate punches. Remember, we have two unarmed spheres, and boxing is more based on counter punches, while open handed is based more on general punch shenanigans.

Pankration is Wrestling, holds, breaks, crushing, twisting, and stuff like that, it would ideally have its own sphere

It seems like that will work very well. It's hard to judge so far, but an armiger seems like it would fit in really well alongside hedgewitches, shifters, and elementalists.

If any of y'all are in the tiny venn diagram of fans of Spellburst Savant and users of Hero Lab, I'm about 75% of the way through getting it and all its archetypes and stuff working in the app, and will probably be submitting it to the community data pack maintainer sometime this week.

Tell me about Strix, /pfg/. If given the opportunity, should I play one?

I've never really done any published art for anyone before so I'd like to maybe start somewhere.

How should I get in contact?

Tell me a moment of terror you've had while playing. A moment of horror when you realize there was a very real chance your character wasn't coming out of the next five minutes alive and moments where you felt like an actual hero.

My last one was when me and my party were in a town that was under the control of a werewolf king. We ended up saving the mayor's daughter who was supposed to be killed for sport by the werewolves. In response the werewolves that were still alive (we had killed one) decided to kill the entire village. We didn't know the entire situation at the time, but we realized we had doomed the entire village (the hunt was a 'if you make it to morning you get to back to the village, no one makes it to morning'). We had come into conflict with the werewolves twice already and they knew my character on sight.

We could have easily left from there. Two of our party members wanted to go back to base (we were part of a rebel group) and me and one other wanted to save the village. We convinced them to go back.

I volunteered to distract them. The plan I formulated was the only one I could think of that might kill the werewolves. I stripped out of my armor because I was faster without it. I was an oracle who had Energy Body so I could glow like a torch. Ended up running into the village as the werewolves arrived and antagonized them. They gave chase and I ran into the inn. The rest of the party barred the doors of window with me and the werewolves inside, and then we caught the inn on fire, they tossed as much oil onto the fire as they could find to speed it up.

I managed to survive barely because I knew there was a root cellar that I went into as I was running. One of the werewolves went in after me. I barely managed to kill the werewolf in the cellar as the building burned itself down.

I managed to survive but contracted lycanthropy.

>Alchemist
>Get Cognatogen as soon as possible
>Use it almost exclusively to boost your Charisma
>Multiclass as bard for extra party face skills and bardic performance for shits and giggles
>Yfw

youtube.com/watch?v=eZkOn0-yt9E

Personally, I'd just say through their page:
dropdeadstudios.com/contact-us/

I'm not sure if I'd suggest this as your first published gig, but I don't know your art, maybe you're awesome and we need you, so I'd try shooting them a portfolio, see what they say.

In non SoM news, for those of you whom were waiting for the Inquisitive Detective, Talented Tactician, and Trickshot Hood, that book is going to layout soon so you'll be able to finally see those archetypes in print!

News on the fate of Gore Fiend and Hellion are still up in the air, but hey, the playtest is slowly being filtered out.

Also there's a feat that I hope sees print in what I sent in that'll make my life better.

Back in my first Pathfinder game ever, my party was fighting the Attic Whisperer encounter in the first module and my fighter nearly got asphyxiated by it with a fucking blanket.

Conversely, I was later able to rip the skull off of said Attic Whisperer with my bare hands a session or two later

I was thinking about doing a 3spooky5me character with an exaggerated love for poisons, skeletons, doomed things, etc, for RotJR, with some combination of medium, occultist, or spiritualist.

Is there anything else you think would go neat with that, other than just dipping into witch? I was thinking of maybe investigator or something else with alchemy/poison stuff...

Yo, this is just me talking, I just wanted y'all to know that I do appreciate the feedback that you give to my playtests and other such things, and I really do want to take into account the things you want for both SoM and my other projects.

I'll try to keep you updated on SoM, LK 2, #drake99 (the dragon race book), and whatever other jazz I've got going so I can get your feedback and make it even better!

>Spend the past 6 hours thinking up and making my character
>Just now it occurs to me that I may have went overboard in the "special snowflake" department and the GM might disapprove of my character, even though he most likely won't say anything
What do I do? I thought the idea was so amazing and creative while I was making it but now I feel like it will be the opposite.

I don't want to say exactly what it is in fear of people taking my idea but just know it might be misconstrued as magical realming if you think about it hard enough even though that's not even close to my intention.

>Molthune hasn't picked characters yet

When will we be saved from this hell?

>finally get to use my dinosaur wild shape
>the fucking ranger puts his cat in the way
>it gets mind controlled over and over
>tell him i'll fucking kill it if it means i can get to the boss and put same damage on him
>he and three other party members swear to kill me if i even touch the fucking cat
>i bull rush it out of the way
>they attempt to kill me
>DM allows this

Same, even though I know mine won't get picked I just want the wait to be over

Wow, your party are faggots.