The sword speaks to you

How do you play a character with an emphatic weapon? How do you do it in a way that it's interesting or well executed? Have you ever played one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVORGr2fDk8
youtube.com/watch?v=hB9npRI0-uE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I remember playing as the sword.

Did you have a large part?

>emphatic weapon
It makes a loud "schwinggg" sound when drawn from its scabbard and little high-pitched "brrring" noises when brandished.

Only you can hear the sword speak. People around you will think you're a schizo. No, I'm just talking to my sword. Oh, well, that makes it alright then. For the last time, we're not going back to that armory just so you can check out that other sword!

The only magical weapon in 0e D&D were swords, and IIRC 1/4 were talking swords, with their own alignments and int scores. I've no idea how that works out in play, I'm not sure I've ever even seen it in fiction though apparently they were common in S&S. It's pretty clear the DM is supposed to run it, though.

>For the last time, we're not going back to that armory just so you can check out that other sword!
Hold on now, is that other sword at least easy on the eyes?

>The sword shit talks about other weapons.

>Empathic weapon
It would be as useful as Counsellor Deanna Troi during a Borg attack.

If It's talking about Swords and Fighting, listen to it.
If it's talking about anything else, leave it in the scabbard.

What if the sword identifies as an axe?

>it's just a voice saying "shwing!"
>keeps making lightsaber noises with it's nonexistant mouth as you wave it around
>really good sword despite that though

Just played a christmas-themed oneshot that was taking place in the same town as one of our first games ever. At one point I found a halberd that belonged to one of our characters. Soon it turned out that the halberd was posessed by his spirit. Oh, and he was a Malkavian. So it was a pleasant cameo of long forgotten character, as well as an oportunity for our GM to roleplay one of players, which she did flawlessly. It was great fun.

i have played this in a campaing once first the sword was just quit till it started whispering all kins of dark shit and made a player go insane

It only lasted for 1 day and after that we destroyed the sword

Stil it was fun to see something different als talking armor for once

Best post.

It only talks to you in private, but makes really bad sword fighting noises anytime it's brandished

Chuckle at unheard snark from the weapon, answer unheard questions and argue with it every no and then.

Two examples come to mind: Lilarcor Baldur's Gate 2, and Arcan'nuor the Sword of Fighting from JourneyQuest. Dangerously insane, sure, but fun.

A sentient and talking magic sword. Looks incredibly sinister and ominous and is greatly enthusiastic in providing (bad) advice to its owner suitable for being an Evil Overlord.

>"YEEEES, dark one! Murder them all, leave only the children to tell of your evil!"

>"A good idea! These children whose parents I have murdered, it will be years before they are old enough to oppose me. Living their lives under my iron-fisted rule will break their spirit. By the time they are old enough to pursue a campaign of revenge against me, they won't have the spine for it anymore. "

>"You give me good advice, unspeakable evil sword. I am glad to call you friend."

>"Doublecross the assassin's guild! Show them who the TRUE master of sudden death without warning is!"

>"Kidnap the princess! With her at your side, you'll surely sway over the peasants for yourself. I recommend locking her up until she loves you!"

>"Ah, the good old stocktown syndrome, I've read about that back in University. What a glorious Idea my trusted sword."

>"Simple oh Ruthless One! You should send your servants after this 'hero' weakest to strongest, so as to conserve your resources!"

>"I don't know, shouldn't I just kill him?"

>"Who's the ancient artifact of Pure Evil here?"

>"You could just use me to kill him now, O Evil One, but is that an appropriate demonstration of your majestic evil? Why not construct an elaborate, grandiose death trap to imprison the adventurer in? With your genius there's no way he could escape!"

Unclear if the sword is actually heroic and trying to sabotage its owner or evil but with about as much practical understanding of evil as a Saturday morning cartoon villain. The owner is under no obligation to pay attention to any of the advice.

The sword is now hanging as a barroom decoration at the local inn. The NPC innkeeper's grandparents were adventurers who looted it from an enemy they defeated. The sword continually tries to convince people to steal it and go on a rampage.

>The sign out front originally read "STEAL THIS SWORD"
>Years of wear and defacement have resulted in its current moniker, The Steal [sic] Sword

I'm stealing this idea for an NPC. It's the former Queen, who accidentally turned herself into a sword while trying to magic herself away to escape her backstabbing family but got way over in her head. Has taken to giving shit advice in the hopes that the villains attract the attention of adventurers who know their salt and can help uncurse her. Also because she's pretty disgusted with the current state of her land and stirs the pot to make the current ruling family look trash. The schadenfreude is a welcome bonus.

It's a CURVED. SWORD.

JourneyQuest, a pretty decent youtube webseries by the same people that made Gamers:Dorkness Rising, revolves around a quest to find and use an artifact exactly like that. Here's the link.
youtube.com/watch?v=pVORGr2fDk8

isn't that just the plot of Dishonoured?

youtube.com/watch?v=hB9npRI0-uE

The sword's sound effects are about this level of quality.

Never played Dishonored, is it the one that has Chaos system or something?

That pic looks hilarious, can I get a source?

The blade, I imagine.

It's the TF2 comic, don't know which issue.

I once told telepatically a whole town that a madan (PC) kept talking to his sword. There was an immediate witchunt of said player because people think that madness is contageous.

Nah, the empress is locked in a heart that can see into other peoples hearts and gives fluff advice to the MC. Most of her monologues can be summed up to "This place used to not suck as much as it's current state" but with more metaphors and depressing prose.

Are the swords supposed to be heard of by everyone or just the PC wielding it?

>"BLOOD! I NEED BLOOD! I MUST HAVE BLOOD ON THE IRON OF MY BLADE! KILL KILL KILL!"

>"By the Gods sword, calm down"

>"THE ONLY CALMNESS I FEEL IS THE CALMNESS OF DEATH!"

>"I'll kill someone later sword, just calm down"

>"MURDER! MURRRRRRRRRDER! I AM A FORGE OF DEATH AND BLOOD IS MY FUEL!"

>An intelligent sword
>cursed so that everyone but the wielder can hear it.

Use more slashing attacks

Mine is Bob Ross but he encourages my character to make happy little trees, and you just take the sword and dip it into their cateroid artery and look, a beautiful river.

:D

The magical sword you pick up is inhabited by the spirit of a Australian shitposter.

The singing sword doesn't singe with fire, it actually sings.

Perfection

>it actually sings.
Is... Is that not how it's supposed to work?