WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

New thread don't start itself edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/thgVW
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm currently chopping up a tiny plasticard rod and dotting the tiny circles all over my ork vehicles.

I find it absolutely riveting.

Fuck you, Carlos.

Sorry for getting back so late.

sorry i dont have a better picture, but you can pretty much spray prime the whole thing silver and then just do panels, and save a hell of a lot of time.

Guessing it's an Orky time of day.

>periscope

i love it

The only silver primer I've used came out way too thick. No adverse weather, can wasn't old, etc.
I'd rather start from white primer

Plan is an all over black wash, and then heavy drybrushing of Leadbelcher or Oily Steel if I have enough in my bottle. Then a lot of red across everything. When it is done, I'll post it in here. Unless something stupid comes up, probably within a week of now.

I know that at least 2 anons are making a collage of the ss gifts. I never saw my guy opening my gift so can you post the collage to see if he ever posted it?

Sec, I'll just dump an album, too many pics for a collage

imgur.com/a/thgVW

Oh, he posted it. I hope he liked it. Thank you user.

You're welcome.

Yeah, hope (and think) I got every picture posted, hard to tell!

Any people still missing their gifts (either their own or the ones they sent not being posted) ?

Can anybody recommend a Warboss-sized axe I can use to finish my conversion? I could use the big choppas from the nob box but I'd like the boss to standout a bit more. Maybe a chaos daemons axe would be appropriate?

>Noice how did you paint them ?
Sorry, I was at work

Anyway these are the colours:

>Prime White
>Pallid Wych Flesh for the skin
>Then I use a custom wash, originally made from Daemonette Hide. I then improved this by mixing Druchii Violet and Pale Grey Wash by Vallejo to make the same colour but with a better behaviour.
>Then I go back to Pallid Wych Flesh, but this is actually the very last thing I do, so I correct the mistakes I made with the other parts in a single passage.
If I had to do all over again, I would probably base with Rakarth Flesh, but now I have all my army like this

Robes and tentacles are
>Base with Army Painter's Alien Purple (basically Xereus Purple)
>Nuln oil
>Layer with a mix of purple and white (I'll use Genestealer purple in the future)
>Highlight (or drybrush, it depends) with Dechala Lilac
Claws are the same but without the layer. I really like the contrast the Dechala Lilac do with the darkened purple.
Hair on plastic daemonettes don't have the Genestealer purple too.

Gold
>Army Painter's Greedy Gold
>Agrax Earthshade
That's it. I don't do layers nor highlight because I have so much gold I fear it would become too much. And because I'm lazy.

Metal is
>Iron Breaker
>Nuln Oil
>Stormhost silver as highlight (or layer for the cutting part of the blade)
I'm not satisfied with this right now. Even when darkened, the difference between the two metals is barely noticeable.

Rocks are
>Administratum grey
>Agrax earthshade
>Drybrush with white

In the end, it's all quite simple.
I'm a relatively new and inexperienced painter.
The only special thing is the Dechala Lilac, which rare since it's a Webstore only colour.
I can't stress how good of a colour that is. I absolutely love it.

You can stick the buzzsaw from the killa kan kit on a big choppa for a ded killy one, s'what i did for my 'eadwhoppas killchoppa/axe of the ragnarork

>I hope these questions haven't been answered in OP links

Seeing as I live in the midwest and it's too fucking cold/rainy/snowy to spray paint outside, how do I prime models in my tiny apartment? My windows don't open.

Any brush/paint recommendations that I can pickup at say, Hobby Lobby? Basically I just want to avoid brush packs with sizes I'll never use and double down on sizes I'll use most often.

The last time I tried painting, I wound up varnishing about 100 chaos spess mahreens. I'd like to do things properly this time around, if only because I need to git gud for cheesecake at the end of summer.

there's that brush on shit painter use for texture..
gesso

Take awhile to harden but totally non toxic for indoor use.

Neat, that's exactly what I'm trying to model too. Thanks for the tip

Mind's still not been posted to me last I heard, I'm just relieved I got some form of feedback so my paranoia of thieving mail room workers and neighbors could be eased a bit.

Not sure if it's the right thread to ask but do tanks usually have the pintle mg mounted when not in use?

I forgot

Bone/Horns
>Ubshabti Bone
>Agrax Earthshade
And that's it. Super-lazy. I made the wash stronger on some parts to give some kind of gradient, but that's really all there is to it.

Gems and tongues on steeds.
Gems suck this way, but anyway is
>Army Painter's Hydra Turquoise
>Drakenhop Nightshade
That's it too.

Also not in the album?
imgur.com/a/thgVW

It still tickles me that someone got the ECH issue of WD

My citadel paints dry up in their bottles and turn chunky, and my Vallejo paints just come out as a clear, lemon-smelling liquid no matter how much I shake and mix. What brand of paint should I get that actually works?

Leaked image of the new mk. V power armour types

>My citadel paints dry up in their bottles and turn chunky
With GW pots you have to keep the lids clean otherwise they don't close airtight anymore. The pots aren't great to begin with though.
>and my Vallejo paints just come out as a clear, lemon-smelling liquid no matter how much I shake and mix.
This sounds like you just didn't shake and mix enough.
Try putting an agitator into the bottle. I find that rolling the bottles is somewhat more efficient at getting the settled pigment from the bottom than shaking it like a madman.

>brand of paint should I get that actually works?
Both of the above do actually work for most other hobbyists. However you can try getting some P3 or Coat d'Arms paints and see if you like the bottles/paint better.
Coat d'Arms used to be GW's old manufactuer. They still have the old, old, old snap on lids that the GW bottles used to have iirc. Those are really good at keeping your paints from drying out.

Before you buy anything else try rolling the Vallejo bottles or putting an agitator in them. With a little luck you don't have to buy new paints.

Slowly getting through my first 5 of 30 tacticals for my IW, apart for the yellow the metal thankfully goes very quickly. Brush priming suuuuucks though.

Reposting from the last thread.

Any tips on painting the green blades of the overlords?

Sorry for the filesize, phone posting :(

So guys, I'm wanting to paint the arms on my Neophyte Hybrid Squad separately, cus the idea of trying to paint it all together at once and paint the gun without messing up the chest armor sounds like a nightmare. How would I go about doing this when spray priming? I've got the torso and legs glued together obviously, but how do I spray prime the arms? Like with sticky tack to hold it up?

>This sounds like you just didn't shake and mix enough.

I swear, it still doesn't mix even after like five minutes of shaking.

>imgur.com/a/thgVW
not a single dragon dildo

soo for whatever reason GW decided to refund my money on my Made to Order Chaplain on a bike I placed back in December, anyone else have this happen? did they decide not to make the cast?

I never received my SS gift so heyo

I'd imagine with the sticky tac, use a marker to hold them in place. Or a thin stick of some sort.

How a scheme so simple can be so sexy

Got my test NL more or less finished. Rather pleased with how it turned out, though I need to work on a few things.

>kit of 3 models
>all can take disc
>only one disc

Anybody got any tips on scratchbuilding some discs for the other two?

The model itself is pretty nice, the highlights could stand to be a bit thinner and sharper but that's something you'll get better at with practice.
I don't like the base, it just looks plain, it being raised up doesn't really help.
Also if you're going for blood splatter get some Blood for the Blood God, it'll look less like splotches of red paint

Looks good, but ate you planning on putting lightning on everything? I don't know if I could do that to 50+ rank & file without going nuts.

As it's not arrived I haven't been able to post pictures. The one I sent however is in the album, though scattered throughout.

Mark II is one hell of a drug

>That moment when you find a piece you thought lost to the Grey Carpet weeks ago

Im so happy

Have you watched the WarhammerTV tutorial for Overlords? He covers it.

Good start. I'd try to neaten up some of those edge highlights though. Especially the kneepad.

>Anybody got any tips on scratchbuilding some discs for the other two?
Dunno.
Guess I'd try to find something disk shaped and use that. Like a lego satellite dish or something like that.
If you got the one from the kit you could also try pressmoulding it though. It's just about the most simple shape you could ask for when casting something, the only thing you have to look out for it to get all the moulded detail.

Next best thing would probably be using a screamer, as disks are just screamers that look different basically, or...though this is a bit of a longer shot, try to look into resin bases. Maybe there is something you can use. I know there are a few with mayan inscriptions and stuff for lizardmen, if you painted those in metal colors, after sanding off the beveled edge under the sculpted parts they could do the trick and be in keeping with the tzeentchian theme too.

>grey carpet
rreeeEEEEEEEEE

>Dinky little cacti
How cute

Can I get some feedback on this leather? Anything I should be doing to change it or make it better?

What models are these?

2nd Edition Warzone Imperial Militia.

I have not, I'll have a look, thanks user

Two layers of thin paint.
One is clearly not enough.

And if those are already 2 layers, then you watered it down too much.

You need a solid colour before moving on.

It was based black, with a wood brown over that and a leather brown over that. I thought it looked like worn leather, but I wanted to know what others thought.
So you think I should double down on one of the layers?

Paint on the colours with a brush, instead of mixing them into your bulldog's food and then having him just slobber all over the minis.

The leather looks okayish, I feel like it could do with a wash to bring it together a bit maybe. I don't know how it's so splotchy. Also, did your prime your mini? You've got lots of spots where the paints coming off. Regardless of primer or not you need to be more careful with your mini's toes.

Nice. Classy.

Yep, see I'm still learning, so I know I need to improve. And I have rather bad eyesight.

I see.

Try this way.
Make a full strong brown as a base. Forget about the black.
Then Agrax earthshade.
Then drybrush with a lighter colour, focus on the borders.

You may highlight if you want.

So many great and wonderful gifts, some people were so incredibly generous and those less able to be were inventive and still delighted the recipient.

The one ss that turned up for some poor user which was so rubbish i offered to send the guy a $10 gift voucher to GW , but didn't respond to my message isn't in the collage which is probably a good thing.

Alright thanks user, I'll be trying that next time. Appreciate it.

Whoever sent that Green Johnny is a great painter and really generous!

I know, i was so bummed to lose the piece. I dont have greenstuff so my conversions are superfine razor knife stuff and liquid greenstuff, i really didnt want to make another.

Getting back into the Hobbit SBG or as all non faggots call it Battle Games in Middle Earth SBG.

I am making an Uruk force out of models I already own. I am stripping them and putting them on 2 pence piece with the plastic GW skirts stand turned upside down with the edges trimmed to hold them in place. I then put modelling putty on top to give it an uneaven layer. I am going to sand it with fine sand, then add larger lumps for variety.

I am going to paint them xanthoric white, I want to play them as barbarian primordial men who hate the civilised world beyond their protective walls.

My warband is 200 points and consists of

Lurtz
4 Uruk scouts with shields
4 Uruk scouts with hand weapons
4 Uruk scouts with bows
3 feral Uruks

It is the only game that maintains some innocence for me. WHFB is dead, 40k is a power creep le epic baby's toy knights etc ruined the fucking scale and aesthetic.

SBG can be played with a single box. A lot of us have them from when it was £12 for 24 models and collected the magazines. A nice scale fun game to enjoy.

I think the Johnny came unpainted and the recipient painted it but yeah... >respect-knuckles.jpg

Thanks for the blog m8. Look into plumber's putty for a cheaper alternative to green stuff for those bases, it will do the same job at a fraction of the price.

I buy 72" from troll trader for £10 fuck GW.

>It is the only game that maintains some innocence for me.
>fuck GW.
Dunno man.

Why don't you play something else then?
I mean these days GW isn't the only company doing fantasy and sci-fi games.

you could check /awg/ or /hwg/ out.

the rules for LoTR were fantastic (and that damn magazine) until that regiment nonsense with the round base trays. The whole fun of the game was little scenarios that didn't take 4 hours and it fit everyone since some liked heroes and others like hordes.

WHFB isn't dead though, plenty still playing and most AoS players would happily play it as well. 40k has always been power creep but that doesn't change the fact that it is the most diverse game it has ever been especially if playing with intermediate lists.

I've read a lot of people use this stuff to strip their minis.
They don't sell it in the UK, so any UKbros know something similar?

"How to strip" gets asked all the fucking time in basically every forum that has ever discussed miniatures painting. Just fucking google it.

Acetone

Detol
e
t
o
l

Now painted. This is the first paint I've done, and I messed up a bit on the corners (rubbed it off) and while doing a wash, but eh, can't get it perfect the first time. Red one is the master for the small tile; not very happy with how it turned out.

DON'T USE ACETONE, THAT SHIT MELTS PLASTIC AND WILL RUIN YOUR FIGURES

it's great for metals though.

We have a sticky for this.

Just because we have a sticky for this doesn't mean you're not being a dick. Stop being a dick.

I've always had the impression it was the alcohol in the dettol doing the job; does it work better than something like strong (90%) rubbing alcohol?

Like basically every other beginner ever it's a blandly not good that might improve with plenty of practice.

I know, but I figured I might as well post in case someone wants to give me tips. I've thinned my paints, tried to apply layers, but it still looks flat. I'm sure I'll get better with time.

I use this.

SO i got this box full of Scrap, base detail parts and some Styrene H-columns. I already have a whole bunch of urban terrain and now i want to make some rubble/dirt/debris barricades that can block streets that are usually 5" wide so that they are completely or 2/3 blocked.

has anyone made something similar or do you have sources to inspiration?

pic related

some toy cars from the dollar store are good to use as conversion fodder for urban scatter terrain

honestly i feel like a disc of that variety would be easy to make. you can just take a circular base, add greenstuff to create the shape, and then cut up some sword/dagger bits to create the stuff around the edges.

the patterning on the top could just be etched into the drying greenstuff with a small tool. the smooshy shit underneath could also just be sculpted from greenstuff around some wires for stability

i like it, the muted grey and rust scheme you did will help them seem unified when on the battlefield and prevent them from overpowering the miniatures and being visually distracting.

aaaarrg help me Veeky Forums

I have been stuck on this for weeks, I just can't figure out what colors to use for the weapons, some color-theory-smart user can help me?

it's not mine, just pulled it out of my inspiration folder.

Those I beams need to be turned into Czech hedgehogs. 3 of those on a base with some scrap leaned on them for barricades would probably be cool and quick.

building/painting some krieg and i was wondering if i would be able to get away with using some scion pieces - this fist mainly

think it looks too weird?

How do I get a better blend on my colors? I'm thinning my paints, but they still come out as stripes rather than blends. Then I tried REALLY thinning out one of the colors and applying it back over, but that just made more stripes.

Also I cannot into lightning effects lmao

itll be a bit hard since i only play wh40k but that terrain does look really good!

Thats a good idea!

bright silver?

Pic related is perfect for both brush and airbrush priming.

Just shake it well and apply two thin coats to be sure if you fo it by brush.

Yea, the Highlights are something I really need to work on, though it could be due to my sub par brushes. Both probably.

As for the base, it was my first time doing anything besides static grass. I might get some of the BFtBG tech paint next time I'm at my shop and run it through the larger cracks. I could maybe break up some Styrofoam for rocks to throw on there, too.

I am because it wouldn't be nightlords otherwise. This'll be more of a project than an army at this point.

Where do the melta hand come from? I saw it several times but I don't know which kit has it.

Finished blocking out these golds. Going to do the swords, as well as the blacks/red in a week or two.

I'm happy with how they came out.

Total of 10 Custodes.

And I kitbashed 4 Terminator Librarians.

Not attached yet is their cloaks, and some purity seals. Going to do their force axes along with the Swords.

(Overdid the silver tarnish on this ones chest a bit. It has since been corrected.)

Looks good to me senpai

This is what I'm working on. What do you guys think?