EDH/Commander general

Sac engines edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread topic: What's your favorite sacrifice-centric commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-jank-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/forage-through-the-fungus/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-man-throw-bigger-man/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/strongman-competition-and-tent-revival-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frog-is-loose/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/allegiance-to-the-throne/
tappedout.net/users/DokuNoSquid/deck-folders/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-time-to-die-is-now/
youtu.be/bC6hoV1EW9s
youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-mayor-of-combo-city/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What's your favorite sacrifice-centric commander?
MAZIREK. Oh sweet jesus, he's awesome. Everything to do with Mazirek is my favorite.

meren

So far, this guy. I also routinely sacrifice to Jarad in the 99 of my frog deck, though.

hungry hungry grimgrin

>what's your favorite sac-centric commander
Meren

Speaking of which:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-jank-1/

Golgari represent! Savra is mine.

My playgroup needs me to make a non white deck and some sac commanders looked really cool to me.

I cant decide between Brion Stoutarm or (and I know she doesnt specifically say Sac but that would be the whole decks theme) Kresh the Bloodbraided

Got a Brion deck link?

>she
Wait, Kresh is a she? This is news to me.
I actually don't, but I could whip one up in a second. Is deckstats.net ok?

can anyone recommend a budget replacement for archangle of thune? 20 for a single card is a little out of my price range

Can anyone explain to me how Ghave works? Some user posted a decklist yesterday, and I want to build it, but I have no idea how he actually wins games with it. I know there's something to do with +1/+1 counter fuckery, but I have no clue how to describe what's going on. Can anyone help? Here's the list I was looking at.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/forage-through-the-fungus/

Nothing really does exactly what Archangel of Thune does.
Cathar's Crusade gives you counters if you like that aspect.
Hero of Bladehold makes tokens and makes your attacking team bigger.

Also, sunbond will get you counters whenever you gain life.

There's a reason most expensive cards are expensive. Sometimes, there are budget replacements, but Thune is pretty powerful.

>Cathar's Crusade
ya thats basically the type of thing im looking for, losing the life gain is going to suck but the deck im building has a million other ways to do that. thanks for the suggestion

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-man-throw-bigger-man/
Not him, but here's mine.
Haven't updated for a while, but slowly putting more prison-type cards there and making it more fun deck for me.
Still my #1 deck

That deck seems to mainly focus on counters and token generation. There's couple of infinites there, such as ashnod's, parallel lives/hardened scales.
Just normal token overrun strategy it seems.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/strongman-competition-and-tent-revival-1/ Here it is.

A few cards in it are relatively untested, though, including Avatar of Fury, and I think I might need more artifact ramp. It's still a fun deck for what they call "gunboat politics," i.e., "if you fuck with me I'll fucking kill you."

So, the strategy is to sit back, make a ton of tokens, and then what? I got that I'm supposed to make a lot of tokens, but how in the heck do you know which hands to keep?

I was playtesting things on xmage and half the time it seemed like I had a winning hand, but something would go slightly wrong and I would get walloped. I get the obvious infinites, like Karmic Guide and Revilark, but what is this deck's bread and butter? There seems to be things that get much better when you set up a loop, like ninth bridge patrol and blood artist, but I'm not sure what the moving parts are.

S L O B A D

Best artificer

It's not too complicated user.

The obvious ones, like you said, are Karmic Guide and Revilark. Throw them down with a sac outlet and boom, infinite ETB/LTB triggers. This is why Zulaport and Blood Artist are good, but not necessarily early game plays.

The other ones interact with Ghave himself. Like the other user said, Ashnod's + Hardened Scales/Corpsejack/Cathar's Crusade/Mazirek/Juniper Order Ranger + Ghave is an infinitely large ghave, as well as infinite ETB/LTB triggers, and additional effects, depending on the token producer you're using. You need one open mana to start things off, but you pop off a +1/+1 counter from Ghave to make a token, sac the token to make two mana, pop another token off Ghave, sacrifice it to Ghave, add 2 +1/+1 counters to Ghave, which leaves you with 1 floating mana to pop off another counter and keep things going.

Pupetteer Clique + Sac Outlet + Cathar's Crusade lets you pull someone's entire graveyard, as well as giving you infinite triggers and an infintely large board state. If the sac outlet is Ashnods, you get infinite mana, if the sac outlet is carrion feeder, you get an infinitely large creature, and if the sac outlet is nantuko husk, you also get an infinitely large creature, but only for one turn.

Carnival of Souls + Ghave + 1 open mana lets you take every single counter off your board and make them into a tokens, at the cost of 1 life per token, but will kill you if you aren't careful.

A lesser known one is Crystaline Crawler + Token Producer + Ghave. You pop a counter off ghave to make a token, sac the token to ghave, put 2 on crystaline crawler, and then you have infinite ETB/LTB triggers.

Now, if all THAT fails, literally just ramp, slap down avenger of zendikar, and win. Or kalonian hydra. Even just wrathing the board then dropping one of these fatties should be pretty good. I think the important part is knowing what combos exist, and what things you should prioritize.

Which Non-Vampire, Non-Demon Rakdos commander is most fun?

Kaervek the Merciless seems pretty fun but Mogis could be way better in multiplayer and be a bit more controlling which I am used to playing. .

I would try Vial Smasher the Fierce but I'm not sure he is strong enough for multiplayer to be on his own and I am not looking for a 3+ color deck.

I run kaervek out. Alot of time if you have good artifact ramp you can get him out in 2 or 3 turns and while everyone plays their shit you can target the other guys shit. I did this in a 3 person game and eventually they were like damn I lost all my shit kaervek after 4 turns of playing stuff.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frog-is-loose/

Didn't see if I got any suggested changes last thread. I know the quillspike/devoted druid combo is silly but I want to keep it in. Maybe find a replacement for bloodrite invoker but I don't want to buy skittles right now

>tfw giving it double strike

damn I have this card with a little chip in the top

Zuran orb is great in Gritog. Life and limb makes all forests into 1/1 saprolings and vice versa, it can also combo with spore mound but if you don't have an instant speed sac for the mound it makes the game a draw.

So if I want to try some stupid deck I made, is there any xmage server where I can have casual fun with peoples from that thread?

If I equip Skullclamp to Magus of the Wheel and sac it with its wheel ability, do I draw then wheel or can I stack those?

xmage is aggravating, I can't even move folders without it reinstalling

Double strike and a lifegain trigger you say?

I'm pretty sure the magus trigger goes on the stack first so you draw first then wheel

I forgot about shortcuts for a minute
why do I try to do things I don't even want to do

Celestial Ancient/Phalanx Leader + Flickering Ward

I tend to use stuff like High Market and Ashnod's Altar, though that's in part because I have like four decks that all want things to die (Mimeoplasm, Grenzo, Gonti, Lazav), though I don't have as many of each of those as I'd like

I guess you could call my sack-factory commander Jalira. I need better blue fatties than she actually runs for her to be very good, but it's always fun to turn a destitute college student into a giant whale/leviathan/etc.

Oh, and as always, 「POST 'EM」

>Sacrifice based commander
There is only one in my heart. Locked away because RC shitters are fascist buffoons who think EDH should only be played how they deem fit.

RIP in Peace you beautiful, crazy bitch. Someday you'll be free.

>yfw she gets unbanned on a whim and everybody starts making Rita Repulsa jokes

Adriana is damn hot

oh fuck yes

I want my post em to be as autistic with yours but I am too lazy to make those Power/Fun bars.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/allegiance-to-the-throne/

This is my first attempt at making a hard control deck in EDH. Realy excited to get this out on the table. Thoughts, suggestions?

prossh, followed by jarad

tappedout.net/users/DokuNoSquid/deck-folders/

rate em, hate em, or tell me how bad i am at building.

I get the combo but what would be the end game? The forest will becomes creatures due to life and limb and the saprolings don't have haste and the forests in turn can't tap for mana, you can't just swing out with the mob.

I would actually lose my shit.

Are we /postem/ yet boys?

Just found this fantastic guy.
TOKENS!
How can there be so few decks with him?

Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Damn good, if I say so myself. Removes creatures permanently when they die, makes sac fodder that he can eat to get bigger or use for other things, great all around. However, since seeing the new black vampire Aetherborn, I wanted to change the deck up, have a new Commander at the helm. What changes can I make to properly use her? I would like some advice please, brain is ash right now.

Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-time-to-die-is-now/

Have a guy in my group who runs him in the greek fags deck. Works pretty well, he's mainly overlooked because 1) its an old card nobody heard of and 2) he's considered shit for being a 4 mana 1/1 despite his ability

worm harvest/raven's crime are pretty good once you have life from the loam going.

strip mine/wasteland and crucible of worlds is tons of fun for everyone.

idk what kind of changes are you looking for?

I'm still not convinced that /edh/ isn't just the same 25 people posting over and over

So many haste enablers and token generators.
It's like a Cathars' Crusade except more explosive.

>「POST 'EM」

I like dem barz

Infinite mana with ashnod's altar, infinite life with zuran orb, infinite 5/3s from Titania for sacing them, infinite landfall triggers, convergent crossroads to give them haste. There's a lot of silly things you can do with infinite creatures that are also lands.

That's high-quality ballertime. I think I need to fix up my Ghave deck

Is this really that oppressive? It makes her pilot a hard target but it isn't the only one

>27 unique posters

There's a cast of permanent posters, that's true. Not sure how many, though.

So it actually requires a multitude of setups. Seems really jank I might test it out on xmage first before going that route but I will need to get a zuran orb

Just on how to more finely tune it. I don't want to use EDHrec as I feel like I'm cheating if I do it. I was thinking of adding mazirek in but I feel like he would get blown up almost instantaneously, also I need more boardwipes besides toxic deluge. I might add in crux of fate as a budget thing for now

I'm the guy with one deck

That they do but like I said, many people have probably never heard of him and are maybe afraid of him "dying to removal"

Update on my list- Ruric Thar has... escaped.
The Suspiciously Deck-Like Pile of Cards is no longer actually a deck, as Ruric Thar took most of the basics and ran. He's the only nonbasic I'm missing from the pile. Apparently he didn't like the idea of being used for the Hellkite Charger-Ventmaw combo, so I might end up making it an actual infinite combo with Radha, Heir to Keld. Though at the moment my only options are Solo Tana or Ulrich (read: Solo Tana only), and I do actually want to run Tana...

hanna list?

Go for it user. If you get some free time, I'll take a look at what you've thrown together. The one thing I'll say about my ghave list is, like the original user said, some hands are just indecipherable garbage. I have three different schools of thought on what hand to keep:

>Keep a hand with ramp, and cards that enable the ramp. You'll be able to fish whatever colours you need at this point, and the deck works significantly better.
>Keep a hand with removal, and just blow everything up until you can assemble the combo in your hand.
>Keep a hand that has 2 green and one black, or two black and one green lands. The most complicated devotion in my deck revolves around 2 black, 2 green, or 2 white mana, and most of the card draw is black, while most of the ramp is green

Sometimes, you'll honestly have to Demonic Tutor Sakura Tribe Elder to get a green land on the field. The ramp setup, ironically, is the most fragile, but I've blown people out t4 in magical christmasland, so make sure you stick with the strengths of the deck, namely, filling the board with bullshit, and blowing up the board to prevent bullshit.

It requires some sort of set up, but is really flexible on which you use. It's not exactly a must have combo set up, but I think it's silly and neat. Actually AG are you here? Would the SBAs even see that the saproling tokens are lands or the forests are creature when they hit tge grave? I don't think they would now that I think about it, but I like to double check.

youtu.be/bC6hoV1EW9s

is Chandra a bitch? she like left the plane, came back and pulled this shit?

I'm the guy that paints shitty spaghetti monsters on damaged cards and has a kami turbostasis deck I talked about constantly many generals ago. I also am the guy with the girlfriend who extends borders

will there ever be another trailer as hype as this one?

youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg
lol i'm a retard

I'm Junkybrewster on tappedout. I get the exact same feeling, even when I look at the unique post count and its in the 100s.

jesus christ wotc

I get that you want to use the art of your cards for these trailers, but hire an animation studio or something

My Coastal Piracy is in my other half of cards
Tidal Mastery was my first precon too

I'm many guys in this general, notably that one guy who types out extremely detailed deck building theory paragraphs and janky budget brews that are usually twice to three times as strong as their cost would indicate.

>hype
Chandra sounds whiny and her poses are awkward as fuck. Also we already have a trailer that hypes the good guys winning and then the plot rekts them and it's a lot better:

Goys, what are the best counterspells?

Force of will, counterspell, stifle, mana leak, mental misstep (meta dependent), disdainful stroke, dissolve, mana drain.

stymied hopes too i guess

Any good multi colored ones?

the Charms

Aside from expensive shit, like Mana Drain and Flusterstorm? Swan Song, Counterspell, Arcane Denial probably. Then meta dependant best ones are Dispel and Mental Misstep.

render silent, counterflux, last word, mindbreak trap is basically a counterspell and timestop

I should've probably mentioned this is for commander so meta isn't really a huge factor.

Got to run my Atraxa deck last night with my playgroup since adding in a bunch of new cards. Highlight of the night was when I was watching another friend playing MTGO during another persons turn and the second the Narset player dropped a Dack Fayden I walked over and just said "Destroy target permanent" and tapped my Lux Cannon. Damn that felt good. Very pleased with my purchase. Managed to win a few of the matches too.

Disallow seems good new though, muddle the mixture for options, hinder or speel crumple to fuck graveyard shenanigans

I'm the guy who always post about his Queen Marchesa deck and promises to post an updated list but never does.

I think the low unique post count is honestly fine. This place functions more as resource for lurkers to read theory and ask questions. If you post a deck their is usually enough peple interested for you to get some actual feedback.

I was both posts you replied to. I was wondering if we were ever going to get another trailer as hype as the new phyrexia one.

Oh right, got it.

Maybe if we go back to Mirrodin and WotC doesn't shit up the plot.

>control magic
should I really touch peoples' cards?

Neck that could kill a man

Sure here

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-mayor-of-combo-city/

It's basically a repurposed Skullbriar list with some white cards tossed in. It can do well but it's super inconsistent

why wouldn't you? why, it reminds me of how my gonti deck works

>playing edh at my lgs
>in a pod with a few dudes who play cheap jank
>guy enters the shop, know he plays edh with expensive cards
>immediately take out my gonti deck when he enters the pod
>always target him with gonti because i know he has the good shit
>when he hands me the cards, quickly use my phone to check TCG for the card prices and verify that the card i'm taking is the most expensive one
>never actually cast the cards, instead set them aside face-down and slowly move them more and more away from the board
>stall the game with various pillowforty and other game slowing effects to make sure the game lasts as long as possible
>when the game finally ends, they'll usually have forgotten about the card, if they ask, usually just give 1 or 2 back but keep the most expensive ones to myself

last weekend i walked home with a gitaxian probe and a survival of the fittest. pretty cool, huh?

I keep thinking of playing in person but I haven't yet. Like 'shuffling' the library cards do people trust that or do they shuffle for each other?

Depends on your deck, if you need inexpensive or free ones: Counterspell, Delay, Disdainful Stroke, Negate, Swan Song, and then the over $20 ones like Pact, Mana Drain, and Force of Will
If you have big mana or are intending to keep a lot of mana open: Desertion, Spelljack, Cryptic Command, Dismiss, Rewind, and Time Stop are all good.

like playing Blue Sun Zenith then topdecking bsz and then I'm the asshole

I know this is probably a troll but if not you're a scumbag

>tfw I own cryptic command but completely forgot I had it in a box right next to my desk
>tfw I'm this retarded

What is a good budget deck that turns guys sideways? like 100$ budget, I was thinking gruul to round out my collection more, can you build Ruric Thar cheap maybe?

There are a decent amount of lurkers, Id assume. However, when people post their decks, you do tend to see alot of the same ones again and again.