Designing and Roleplaying believable females

What's up Veeky Forums? I need some help here.

I'm my groups DM and really like to make believable characters for a rather realistic fantasy Setting. This works quite well for the male NPC's, since I depict them as close to normal male behaviour as possible. They're grounded, have strong values, are often more agressive or daring and don't always show clear emotions in conversation. It works great and my players like the way I play them out.

It's just my female NPC's that are not up to the quality standard. I always tend to make them as direct and efficient and rational as the male NPC's. The players notice and tell me my womans are behaving too much like men. Don't act realistic or are all apathic and emotional blunt. As a guy I just can't get behind the irrational behaviour of woman and adapt it to my NPC's. So I got a few questions for you:

>How do you design a believable female Character or NPC?
>How do they talk?
>How do they handle emotions? How do they show emotions?
>What's their body language?
>What are the differences to men?

> Poorly disguised women bashing thread
OP, don't tell me you didn't know what you're doing. Come on, you even wrote "females" in the title instead of "women".

Sorry if it sounds like this. I mixed the two words up later in the text because my native language isn't english and I got confused.

I really just want some insight and help.

>How do you design a believable female Character or NPC?
The same way you would make any other character 'believable' by giving them a history along with a personality and goals that matches it.
>How do they talk?
It varies from person to person, we need to know more about the concept you aiming for.
>How do they handle emotions? How do they show emotions?
See above.
>What's their body language?
See above.
>What are the differences to men?
They have different genitalia then men and the rest depends on the setting.

I stopped caring about believability years ago.Now it's all about fun.

I've even tried playing a few "realistic" female characters, but like you said it's hard to do from a manly mindset. They were either "men with tits" or total cunts. So I just duct-tape some personality traits and occupational stuff together and call it good.

/r9k/ pls go

>inb4 just play a normal character that happens to be female

Not helpful. I don't want men with tits like and put it.

Go away, dumb robot.

>normal male behaviour
>grounded, have strong values

>the irrational behaviour of woman
Subtlety is not your forte, is it? Go back to /r/incels

Then base them off various female character from fiction if you're that fucking clueless till you get the hang of it.

Pretty good OP, take this (you) with my congratulations.

Was just about to post this.
Probably your best bet, OP.

> implying OP actually wanted feedback and didn't write a bait post
Come on, it's not your first day here. We've seen this before a thousand times. Wait until OP starts samefagging and asking "Since when do we have so many SJWs and white knights here?"

C'mon your shitposting morons. There's a clear difference between male and female behaviour. If you want to correct something or tell me more about female characteristics go on and give me a detailed text that is actually helping me with creating believable woman. Who knows I might actually be thankful?

And then? Most fiction today is power fantasy and male depictions of females. How do I play them out to my players now? What body language should I use? What gestures?

Do you have anything in mind that, in your opinion, depicts woman really well?

> your shitposting morons.

Not happening. Believe it or not this isn't a bait thread - I actually want some helpful feedback.

They're all waifu material, that's mine.

/thread

>Do you have anything in mind that, in your opinion, depicts woman really well?

Most of the more popular fantasy series have some pretty damn good female characters.
Kingkiller Chronicles comes to mind, Stormlight Archives and Wheel of Time series aswell. Oh and of course Song of Ice and Fire.

>They're grounded, have strong values, are often more agressive or daring and don't always show clear emotions in conversation.
So just do something different? Are you retarded?

Why do you think the females are especially well written in these books? Anything in particular? Especially the song of ice and fire stuff seems more like power fantasies on both sides - male and female.

On the off chance this is real, you aren't roleplaying believable male characters anyway.

From the description you gave you are portraying them in an extremely romanticised, idealised way, having them embrace the best of archetypal masculinity while ignoring both nuance and the darker side of it.

And you know what? That's fine. Embrace idealisation and portray women in equally idealised, romanticised ways.

Alternatively, if you're really attached to the idea of realism/believably, you need to fundamentally shift the foundations of how you roleplay characters at all.

I'm listening.

Go on.

Simple

Roleplay them like men, except not quite.

same guy as ^

GRRM is a lying, fat, beta faggot who can't write women worth a good goddamn.

I wouldn't call him a beta faggot but his female characters aren't really good.

I would

Fucking worthless writer. Worse than DC Rhind google the name, fgt

This kind of discusstion isn't really what I was aiming for when I created the thread.

> There's a clear difference between male and female behaviour

Nope.

There is a clear difference in male and female bodies that tend to encourage females into certain things, also hormones affect the behaviours(like testosterone adding agresivity or strogens psycopathy) but both of those can be dealt through cultural influence.

If in your setting you go like 99% and women don't have any certain feature that distinct them physically from men(except for having cunts and tits) then you can't create realistic behaviours for women because there is no diference between each sex, so no cultural presure to develop gender roles or stereotypes. You could have men dressed like women and women dressed like men and it wouldn't even matter, there was never a "feminity spirit" or "masculinity spirit" onto wich you can attach your characters.

For example, in Menzoberranzan drows at the very least have the gender roles reversed because women are stronger and are the only ones that are accepted by Lloth, so you can clearly see the difference between a drow male and female and even tell from a distance that a drow in a robe is a woman without further exploration.

Of course if you give them the classical -2 strenght, -2 constitution, +2 Savvy you might get some eyebrow raises.

So you either accept that you can't create realistic women in your setting(and tell your buddies to fuck off since I think they are actually asking for their idea of woman and not actual women) or you create physical differences onto wich start building gender culture.

Get impaled on Orc Dick

>Song of Ice and Fire
>anything good

Sorry. I write a little myself and he pisses me off from a literary point of view.

Anyway, "like men but not quite". Roleplay them almost like a man, with tiny, tiny little mental and emotional differences. Same ambitions or lack thereof, same desires or lack thereof, whatever. If gender roles are big in the setting, have the smart of them figure out ways to get the upper hand, and the less smart either mope about being pigeon-holed into certain roles, or smash through them through sheer force of will, heedless of consequences (because women can be pig-headed as well)

That's the best I can do.

When it comes to females having intricate personalities then yes, that series is better than most.
Always been a fan of Cersei, probably always will be.

>There's a clear difference between male and female behaviour
>no
You just have to remove the clear part, and you've got a correct sentence
>There is a clear difference in male and female bodies that tend to encourage females into certain things, also hormones affect the behaviours(like testosterone adding agresivity or strogens psycopathy) but both of those can be dealt through cultural influence.
but that's exactly the point you moron. These differences exist; the fact that they can be dealt with and/or negated does not matter when answering the question because they exist/existed at some point

Are you genuinely autistic? This is the kind of shit a robot would say.

OP makes this thread about once a week.

No I'm not and I'm reading the few helpful answers with great interest. I don't count yours to that.

Not really. I don't know who you guys think I am but I'm not.

You might want to see real women, to have some ideas about how they behave.

>but that's exactly the point you moron. These differences exist; the fact that they can be dealt with and/or negated does not matter when answering the question because they exist/existed at some point

How can they exist if they are not promoted in any way by actual diferences? My complaints is with systems that tend to be so egalitarian that at the end erase all diferences between sexes and makes imposible a realistically gendered character because what its actually imposible is having such character adhering to our standards about women/men, they simply wouldn't understand.

A realistic female knight knows that she can't hold a fight for as long as other men so she depends much more on them and she changes her behaviour into a one that is more social and friendly. But normally this never happens, all women in fantasy/sci-fi land are exactly equal to men so there is no way you can tell the difference since there is nothing promoting differences anywhere.

Its not that complicated.

It really is one of those threads.

>Not really. I don't know who you guys think I am but I'm not.

AH, yeah some user will make this every week or every other week. Veeky Forums just assumes that when the same topic comes up time and again that it's the same person.

Next time don't reply. It tips you off as new.

>A realistic female knight knows that she can't hold a fight for as long as other men so she depends much more on them and she changes her behaviour into a one that is more social and friendly. But normally this never happens, all women in fantasy/sci-fi land are exactly equal to men so there is no way you can tell the difference since there is nothing promoting differences anywhere.

I think this may be what my players are criticizing at my depiction of female characters. I tend to equalize men and woman so much that no differences are visible anymore and that makes them feel blunt.

I think differences are the fine and fun nuances that make characters great - if they don't fall out of a certain framework. You example was great.

Sorry about that, I don't really follow every thread on Veeky Forums. I assure you this isn't bait and I actually look forward to positive answers.

>I'm my groups DM and really like to make believable characters for a rather realistic fantasy Setting. This works quite well for the male NPC's, since I depict them as close to normal male behaviour as possible. They're grounded, have strong values, are often more agressive or daring and don't always show clear emotions in conversation. It works great and my players like the way I play them out.
Sounds like you don't have a good grasp on male characters ether.

What? Since when is females not interchangeable with women? The fuck

Since /r9k/ started using it to imply that they're an alien parasite species that has infested our manly homotopia.

>Make a character
>Give motivations and origin
>Remove male-specific cultural and biological motivations and qualities
>Add female-specific cultural and biological motivations and qualities
>Modify above as required to create a well-rounded character rather than a ball of stereotypes
How the fuck is this so hard?

>Add female-specific cultural and biological motivations and qualities

What are these?

>The players notice and tell me my womans are behaving too much like men.
Tell them to spit out what kind of waifu they want you to make for them or else to fuck off. They don't want "believable" female characters, and no good will come of including them in any position of agency in the campaign.

>I always tend to make them as direct and efficient and rational as the male NPC's.
There you go; that's fine. Don't fuck with perfection.

Cultural motivations literally depends on the culture. If I had to answer it quickly, I'd say look at the sorts of women that are praised in the culture the woman originates from and why they, as well as what the 'average' woman is expected to be based on the norms and media present. Women are judged by beauty a lot more than men, who are judged more by physical prowess. Because women are the child-bearing sex, there's often pressure, cultural, familial ('I want grandkids!'), or biological, for them to find a man to raise children with- while men have the stereotype of playing around, so it's less of an expectation for them in most cases.

Biological motivations are a bit more tricky, but by that I mean women are GENERALLY more perceptive and sociable but less physically powerful or resilient than men (this means Wisdom and Charisma is GENERALLY considered more valuable than Strength or Constitution for women). Women are generally more protective of children and 'cute' things than men, women are generally physically smaller, women usually prefer comfort food, like chocolate or ice cream, to hardy food, like steak or casserole.

It's an interesting topic. Of course, other species or fantasy realms can run wild with expectations for women or men.

>This works quite well for the male NPC's, since I depict them as close to normal male behaviour as possible. They're grounded, have strong values, are often more agressive or daring and don't always show clear emotions in conversation.
Sounds like you aren't even roleplaying males well.