Post Apocalyptic General

What is your favorite flavor of post apocalyptic RPG?

MilSim: Twilight 2000, Morrow Project
Road Warrior: Redline, Atomic Highway
AI did it: Terminator, Reign of Steel
Science Fantasy: Metamorphis Alpha, Gamma World, Mutant Epoch, Mutant Crawl Classic, Mutant Future
Anthropomorphic: TMNT/After The Bomb, Mutant Genlab Alpha

Or add your own!

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/STALKER:_The_RPG
mediafire.com/folder/wq2k0r1bqesqt/RPG_Trove#g6n6fydh6mef5
youtube.com/watch?v=_WlplIxEuTY
youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVnhwB4Gw
biology-online.org/dictionary/Mutant
dictionary.com/browse/mutation
youtu.be/j2Iswwpvsdo
youtu.be/W1iEt7s6TeE
youtu.be/QSZ-0Mr30mU
youtu.be/C0K7H73rD74
youtu.be/uzMK0_vkStg
youtu.be/7H9ZQSZ9G9I
youtu.be/n--qRtxkouc
youtu.be/J9GWNFLHg58
youtu.be/vxtfjrfY1pY
youtu.be/lkIX7wkHr7c
mega.nz/#F!34JXiCyD!6ztxmBU_0tZFGX88UoeYJA
gammaworldwar.blogspot.com/p/appendix-g.html?m=1
ageofravens.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-history-of-post-apocalyptic-rpgs.html?m=1
sendspace.com/file/eqjd6l
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Road Warrior.
Atomic Highway.

Is it supported anymore?

Bad Wrong fun! Atomic Highway is overly focused on vehicle combat and is a unsupported dead game with no official releases in 6+ years.

Aftermath

What's the comfy-yet-depressing one like Engine Heart called?

How can the apocalypse be comfy?

Drenched in radiation and vodka. Get out of here stalker!

Use GURPS
1d4chan.org/wiki/STALKER:_The_RPG

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

I lived in Japan 3 years and that's weeb talk.

I'd agree with you but I already read it and it's a super-comfy post-apoc setting.

Mutant Year Zero / Gen Lab Alpha - getting ready to run another game this coming weekend. Just got done creating a custom zone map. Weee.

Do you run Aftermath games? I'd love to be a player in one.

I personally run solos with Twilight 2013/Aftermath/the Morrow Project.

There's a guy on suptg who did. I don't know if he's still around.

We are playing Other Dust by Sine Nominie Publishing which is like D&D B/X as in their sci-fi OSR game Stars Without Number.

I do like the Mutant Epoch art but havent played yet. Hard to believe McAusland wrote, laid out and illustrated every single Mutant Epoch by himself.

Is there a setting in aftermath or is it a tool kit to run any flavor of post apoc?

>Morrow Project

Hard to believe that anyone still remembers that one... I knew the author decades ago (the 80's) when he was living in Ann Arbor MI and basically self-publishing the game. IIRC if you look at the old black & white picture of the M-60 machine-gun in the book you can see the tips of the author's shoes at the bottom of the image when he took the picture.

Other Dust sounds interesting, and as for McAusland - that's hella-impressive if he did all the illustrations (I've snagged a bunch for use with my Mutant Year Zero campaign) as well as wrote all the content.

I can't pick a favourite, but it leans towards harder science fiction a bit. I've played a lot of T2K, Morrow Project, Dark Future ( a Road Warrior game), Car Wars, Gamma World.

I've always wanted to try this one.

It's a tool kit. There are a lot of encounter tables, which give a sort of implied setting. It does have discussion of different types of apocalypses, and there are some optional rules for civilized apes, radioactive zombies

>Hard to believe that anyone still remembers that one... I knew the author decades ago (the 80's) when he was living in Ann Arbor MI and basically self-publishing the game.

I'm yet another Morrow Project fan. There was a new edition not all that many years ago, so there is still some interest.

There is a sort of tribute to the Project in the setting of the German game Degenesis, quite a neat take on what happens to the sleeping re-builders when the apocalypse happens.

I liked "Fucking Ghosts did it" from Deadlands Hell on Earth vibe.

While I'm not a fan of the Deadlands system, I quite enjoyed Hell on Earth. Must also be because we had a great DM that really managed the post-apocalyptic/horror vibe well. We were constantly in danger - nights were especially dreadful as we were constantly stalked, harassed or attacked . We never had enough ammo, fuel, food or medical supply and constantly and to scavenge, loot or steal whatever we could. No combat was easy - even a total victory meant spending ammo and chips that would probably be much needed later on. Most survivors couldn't be trusted and the ones that could were mostly useless.

Morrow Project is still very much alive. 4th Ed was released in 2014 after a successful Kickstarter campaign to funnit.

Interesting! I had no idea that it was still around in any incarnation. And I'll have to check Degenesis for the tribute.

>Or add your own!
Fuck Armageddon
Jovial Despair
Lonely World
Retrocalypse - Fallout
Road Warriors
Stalkan (Stalker RPG)
The Quiet Year
Watch the World Die
15 Years Later
Fragged Empire
(And Numenaria???)

Bitume, the French post-apocalyptic RPG, is pretty good. Like all games designed by Croc, it has a terrible system, but it's really fun to play.

The background story is that the Haley comet passed the earth a little bit too close. This caused natural catastrophes of all kind, but the major and strangest effect was that earth's population suddenly suffered from complete amnesia. Civilization crumbled and new groups appeared influenced by popular culture from that era (cartoons/manga, video cassette covers, magazines...).

The action is located in France where following groups are active:

Amazons: Man-hating females inspired by radical feminism
Brotherhood of the Snake: Followers of a psychotic and technophobe cult vaguely inspired by New Age philosophy and ecologism.
Farmers
Grease-Monkeys: Scroungers
Healers
Hell's Angels
Indians: They are the descendants of the Arab/North African population of France's ghettoes
Kids: Children gangs inspired by popular manga and seitan TV shows
Mercenaries: Guns for hire inspired by Rambo, Chuck Norris, Mad Max and legion of B-movie heroes
Merchants: A greedy bunch
Punks: Punks who mix anarco-psychotism and communism
Skinheads: Royalist skinheads who worship Louis XIV
Sons of Metal: Psychopathic cult inspired by covers of heavy metal discs and cassettes
Vigilantes: Post-apocalyptic cops who worship Judge Dredd and Dirty Harry
Vikings: Croc put vikings in all his games - no exception for Bitume. Anyway, those vikings come from the North, use big trucks, they call drakkars, and they raid settlements
Yankees: Extremist libertarians

Then you have also the Ants. An underground living society. They didn't get affected by the amnesia, but their immune system is extremely weak. Therefore, they are the only group with advanced technology. They trade manufactured products (mainly weapons and vehicles, though they also do artificial insemination for the Amazons) against food and prisoners (guinea pigs) with the other groups.

>French post-apocalyptic RPG, is pretty good. Like all games designed by Croc, it has a terrible system, but it's really fun to play.

Sounds strange. :) What's wrong with the rules system?

Almost missed one...

Last time I played it, it must have been like 14 years ago or so and I don't remember when I read the rulebook the last time, but it was also a long time ago.

To create a character you have to choose a tribe. The tribe will give you bonus and penalties to your stats and skills and it will determine what kind of armor you're allowed to wear. The tribe also determines what advantages/disadvantages you're allowed to take and which you aren't (some also will cost more or less depending on your tribe). Then, you distribute points among your many stats (stats range from 1 to 20). Skills are derived from stats and range from (1 to 100). I don't remember if you can distribute directly some points among skills or not. What is sure, is that you can purchase "advantages" that will give you bonuses to your skills. You can also take "disadvantages" that will give you points to by more "advantages".

As an example you create a guy who has Speed and Precision both at 10. This would give you a Shooting score of 20. To increase this score you purchase the advantage Night Combat (+20 to combat skills during nighttime) and Urban Combat (+20 to combat skills and to stealth when fighting in a constructed environment).

Otherwise, once the character creation is completed, the game isn't that difficult - apart of vehicular combat.

The art was pretty good, though. Here a pic from the MJ screen.

Thanks!

Dig the art! Is a English translation available?

I would have chosen the M16A2 w/ M203 and the MG on the bike over a rocket launcher and a shotgun to shoot down a chopper.

McAusland does Mutant Epoch as a nearly a one man show. I believe there is a paid editor and some of the adventures have been written by other people. But he does all the illustrations. blows my mind.

I do think there are too many modifiers in combat but I made a reference sheet of the modifier page and laminated it that has really sped up play.

Mutant Epoch:
mediafire.com/folder/wq2k0r1bqesqt/RPG_Trove#g6n6fydh6mef5

Despair

Thanks for the link.

haha, nice wrong opinion there. Why would I need more releases for a rules light game like this? Also there is 7 pages of vehicle combat rules in the 20 pages of actual rules. 10 pages of vehicles and customization, so 17 pages of vehicles in a 137 pages rulebook about Mad Max like cinematic post-apocalypse. I don't get your problem.

1. 2. I don't get the appeal of that

this looks good, I think I'll play a round of this and use the created setting to play atomic highway afterwards, with the same guys.

this speaks to my inner 14 year old.

pdf?

Does anyone know an post-apocalyptic RPG system that pretends to be pulp scifi but deep underneath it all is just hard scifi?

That's what I want to play.

>dinosaurs running around BECUZ WE GOT NUKED BACK 2 DA STONE AGE
>it's really just a region that used to have a "jurassic park" filled with genetic engineered birds made to look like dinosaurs, and some AI is living in the computer systems of the park, making dinosaurs to keep annoyances away from it

>death zone filled with mutants FRUM DA RADIATION
>it's actually just some community living out there in the "death zone" using surgery and other fucked up methods to create an army of slave soldiers - they're not really mutants as much as they are surgically enhanced slave warriors

No I want real mutants!

okay.

So it's a rattle yote?

what music do you play in your post apocalyptic games?

My game is set in europe and in some eastern europe bars I used these guys covers:
youtube.com/watch?v=_WlplIxEuTY
youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVnhwB4Gw
they are a band in my setting, playing these songs after they found them on damaged tapes n stuff

That's not a mutant

Mutant

Definition

noun, plural: mutants

(1) An organism, gene, or chromosome that is different from the wild type by one or more (new) characteristics as caused by mutation(s).

(2) An organism or gene that is undergoing or resulting from mutation.

(3) An organism with a new or different characteristic from the due to a mutation in its gene or chromosome.

biology-online.org/dictionary/Mutant
dictionary.com/browse/mutation

Have you ever visited a school?

So it's not a mutant then.

I didn't know they were made by splicing, so not technically a mutant.

G..guys is it ok to like Gamma World 7th Edition, the one based on D&D 4th Ed rules?

It's ok to like anything you like man.

Hilarious! Metal meets Polka. Heh!

Old School Gamma World was just nuts. Hopefully the new one is just as fun with better rules. :)

Oh look! A Death Machine. I throw a Torq Grenade at it and watch it disintegrate.

The problem with 7th ed Gamna World is you need the fucking equipment cards. Well the game is out of print and unsupported and there aint no more cards.

don't mock my music

You can get the cards now on rpgnow

>what music do you play in your post apocalyptic games?
Here's some thematically-appropriate stuff (mostly metal).

Echoes in the Well (Corrosion of Conformity) - youtu.be/j2Iswwpvsdo
I Rule the Ruins (Warlock) - youtu.be/W1iEt7s6TeE
Skeletons of Society (Slayer) - youtu.be/QSZ-0Mr30mU
When the Walls Came Tumbling Down (Def Leppard) - youtu.be/C0K7H73rD74
Blackened (Metallica) - youtu.be/uzMK0_vkStg
Electric Funeral (Black Sabbath) - youtu.be/7H9ZQSZ9G9I
Set the World Afire (Megadeth) - youtu.be/n--qRtxkouc
The New Order (Testament) - youtu.be/J9GWNFLHg58
The Wild Boys (Duran Duran) - youtu.be/vxtfjrfY1pY
Sub-Effect (Voivod) - youtu.be/lkIX7wkHr7c

Future apocalypse is best apocalypse. Modern-day or near-future apocalypse is boring. You need lasers *and* mutants.

I'm not - I'm just enjoying the unexpected juxtaposition.

> No Equipment Cards
> on rpgnow

And here I was wondering if one could simply mock something up in PDF format.

I'm really enjoying Mutant Year Zero - it's kind of both - it's set in the near future (decades or a couple of centuries from now) and give the GM the ability to include things like Lasers and Masers. (Some of the dicks who caused the apocalypse are still around in hidden pockets.)

>And here I was wondering if one could simply mock something up in PDF format.

I've never done more than glance at 7e, so I don't really know anything about what I'm posting, but it says it's the Gamma World cards.

mega.nz/#F!34JXiCyD!6ztxmBU_0tZFGX88UoeYJA

>I'm really enjoying Mutant Year Zero - it's kind of both - it's set in the near future (decades or a couple of centuries from now) and give the GM the ability to include things like Lasers and Masers. (Some of the dicks who caused the apocalypse are still around in hidden pockets.)
I want mine to be at least a century or two in the future (long enough for the established order to be up-ended) and for a decent amount of time to pass after the apocalypse (at least 50 years, but quite possibly centuries).

MCC release date when?

Sometime between now and GenCon.

Appendix Gamma: Inspirational Material
In the spirit of Gary Gygax's Appendix N. gammaworldwar.blogspot.com/p/appendix-g.html?m=1

I found this a very informative series of blog posts on Post Apocolyptic RPGs 1976 to 2012

ageofravens.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-history-of-post-apocalyptic-rpgs.html?m=1

>Appendix Gamma: Inspirational Material
No such list is complete without Dark is the Sun. It's arguably better than Hothouse and inarguably better than Hiero's Journey.

So apparently there's a second edition of Apocalypse World. Anyone have a pdf?

Pic unrelated.

Damn! Thanks to both Anons for posting these.

Ohh! Even more goodies! Thank you Santa Anons!

RE: Apoc World 2nd E.

Try the PDF share threads - I know it's been asked about, and I'm pretty certain a link was posted. I just don't have it handy. Sorry.

anyone else here familiar with Palladium's game Splicers, cause it's a pretty interesting setting(even if like most things Palladium publishes it's kinda a garbage fire mechanically), as it's basically Guyver meets Terminator(with a couple other things smooshed in)

How much of a role does religion play in your campaigns? Personally, I love the idea of post-apocalyptic people worship somthing from before the apocalypse that they don't understand.

Not that I know of. I will try to find a PDF and if I can't, I'll scan it.

Damn! My google-fu is strong! Here's the link for the Mk.5 rulebook: sendspace.com/file/eqjd6l

For the Hell on Earth campaign I mentioned before, our DM used following music:

Archon Satani - In Shelter
Raison d'Être - Prospectus I
Resident Evil II - ripped in-game music
Div. metal bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Kreator for raider camp music...

also I'd share my copy, but it's watermarked

>mega.nz/#F!34JXiCyD!6ztxmBU_0tZFGX88UoeYJA

Thanks for the attempt. Unfortunately this is just a type up of the text on the cards and not the cards themselves.

there are fanatic factions and many people believe in something.

Thanks! I don't want to alarm you, but there's some sort of weird encryption on the file. It's all scrambled up. It's like the whole thing is written in French or something. But the pictures are good.

(All joking aside - I wonder what Google translate will make of it - at least the back story.)

now all these french classes I took have a purpose

It would be pretty much impossible to translate as there are so many references to French pop-culture from the 1980s/1990s. You'd have to rewrite the game completely and best adapt it to your own country.

>Unfortunately this is just a type up of the text on the cards and not the cards themselves.
I'd actually think that would be better in most cases. If you want to go all out and print on card stock and try to replicate the original cards as closely as possible, this obviously isn't what you're looking for, but I'd image that most people wouldn't go that far. If I were running 7e, I think I'd be more likely to do what most games do and write the powers down on your character sheet (or copy and paste the text onto them). And since they're all already numbered, random generation would be pretty easy.

Fallout / 2000 AD style is my favorite, so I prefer Mutant Future. Even if it's just Labyrinth Lord with guns. Fucking MCC needs to come out soon though.

I haven't looked at mutant future, but I think that having honest-to-god levels in a post-apocalyptic game is a mistake, at least when it comes to hit points.

Fragged Empires is a Post-Post-Apocalypse setting, where everyone is a result of genetic engineering. Top that.

Waterworld with furries. Cringe!

You're gonna have to explain "post post apocalyptic" to me m8.

I've been trying to find a Mutant Epoch game for ages but no one seems to be playing it.
Feels bad man.

We play it every Sunday night here in Nashville, TN. But I get what you're saying. Roll20 and other platforms are completely dominated by D&D and it's derivatives.

I once run one of the starting adventures, but it was a real mess due to my inexperience as a GM. But yea, fucking 5e and Pozzfinder everywhere.

>Cringe

Yikes, pretty cringeworthy post user

The apocalypse happened, Mad Max happened, the Earth got better, people stopped eating each other and started building comfy villages again.

It's only been out for what 4-5 years?