I'm creating a 7 Deadly Sins themed DnD campaign

I'm creating a 7 Deadly Sins themed DnD campaign.
I'm kind of stuck on how "Sloth" should be represented monster wise.

My default deign is that it'll be a monster that immobilizes players. Got any better suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo
cracked.com/article_16117_6-formerly-kickass-creatures-ruined-by-evolution.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Strongest of them all but limited by its own laziness.

I was thinking Sloth from Full Metal Alchemist.

Only attacks in retaliation for being attacked.

I want it to embody slothfulness "hardly moves" and so, open to attack.

BUT, it imbues it's deadly sin on the players too
and so, players can't move in order to attack.

A really fucking fat giant.

In my gay homebrew setting overlord of sloth rules the most technologically advanced part of Hell. Full automatization, guns and enormous war machines, automated punishments.

Surprisingly it's most welcome part of hell for those humans who ended up in hell by accident (it happens, it happens a lot.), mainly because sloth demons do not actually give a single fuck about non-sinners.

Sloth isn't just about not doing anything. It's about all the shit you could be doing and aren't. In a religious context that includes devotion and prayer. In a feudal context that includes the work you do for your lord or family. Sloth is an affront to the foundations of power and civilization.

Moreover sins shouldn't just be external threats. For sloth and for any of them the confrontation should be about facing a temptation within themselves. Sloth's seduction is in questioning the need for the work you're doing. Why should you harvest crops to feed the baron? Why should you pray to a silent god? Why should you do anything if you want for nothing in this particular moment?

Give the players no real reason to fight sloth. Let sloth offer them something and have it cost them time that they could spend doing something important. Have that something feel more important in the moment than it is... maybe let it be a little selfish, like taking care of you and yours before society as a whole.

Sorcerer. Those lazy fuckers are Sloth incarnated.

The riddle telling demon you meet in Dragon Age while playing a mage comes to mind. That was one debonair motherfucker.

A stationary gelationous cube with immunity from most attacks, resistance to everything else, all the stuff you need to defeat the other enemies are inside the center of its massive size.

Sentient. Can cast sleep spells every time it is struck at a super high level.

IF ever reduced to half HP, it splits into humanoid forms wielding the weapons the heroes are their to claim and acting as one unified attacking body each turn still with the sleep spell reflex.

A huge demonic looking Turtle that instead of legs and a tail has extra heads coming out of where that would be on a normal turtle that lives in the depths of the ocean.

It would have a shit ton of parasites and lesser demons clinging to it's shell.

The turtle itself wouldn't move or attack in any way, however it's gaze from any of it's heads would inflict the sloth debilitation, which halves your movement speed for every turn you spend in it's gaze. If you reach 0.5 movement and are still in it's gaze you can't move at all and begin to slowly be corrupted into one of the parasite servants that live on it's shell.

I just came up with this on the spot, so I think I'll call this thing the Eiderdown.

I plan on doing the same thing, and my idea was to have it have an aura that will sleep/knock out/deal non-lethal damage/deal Con damage/Whatever it takes to knock the people out.

The way i planned it was to have it start small. small DC's, small damage, etc. But as it ramps up, it gets harder and harder to deal with. Eventually, the party will be rendered helpless. The various types make sure the entire party get hit, and also make sure they don't exactly know whats up. choose the easiest one that works based on the party member. If susceptible to sleep, will saves. If not, then non-lethal. If for some reason that doesn't work, Con damage.

Basically an aura that targets specific weaknesses, but that isn't lethal. Bonus points if they don't realize a specific being is the source of it.

Sloth like most deadly sins is broader than people often thingsks. It includes despair and depression, so you can use that. Yes, being despaired and depressed is a sin.

Ultimately sloth is also lack of any feeling towards the world, including oneself. So, while your Sloth character should not want to actively harm your PCs, if he's forced by the circumstances to act they will face a complete monster that doesn't give a fuck about ethics and suffering. He's no cruel because he doesn't enjoy pain (or anything else, for the matter). But he will allow, watch and, if forced, commit literally any atrocity you can think about without feeling a single emotion, positive or negative. He probably orders others to do it for him if possible tho, atrocities (and any other action for the matter) exhaust him physically and mentally.

It has a heal/stun aura. Fail a save, and you are healed and stunned. You can choose to fail. Fails also progressively penalize saves (including against the next things).

It has a damage/healing aura. It hurts you (even on a save) and heals itself (only for those that failed saves).

It creates illusions of other shit. Urgent things you should be doing instead. Think the visions of the ruined Shire in LotR. Maybe they're even true, but you can't go back.

Damage should be high enough to make the healing it offers tempting. Starting HP should be low enough that it needs to drain you.

I don't think it's very in-theme for sloth to tempt you to DO things that are not explicit procastination.

Sloth is not one of the seven deadly sins. Sloth is a modernized translation of one of the original sins, ACEDIA.

"Acedia is the neglect to take care of something that one should do. It is translated to apathetic listlessness; depression without joy. It is related to melancholy: acedia describes the behaviour and melancholy suggests the emotion producing it. In early Christian thought, the lack of joy was regarded as a willful refusal to enjoy the goodness of God; by contrast, apathy was considered a refusal to help others in time of need.

Pope Gregory combined this with tristitia into sloth for his list. When Thomas Aquinas described acedia in his interpretation of the list, he described it as an uneasiness of the mind, being a progenitor for lesser sins such as restlessness and instability. Dante refined this definition further, describing acedia as the failure to love God with all one's heart, all one's mind and all one's soul; to him it was the middle sin, the only one characterised by an absence or insufficiency of love. Some scholarshave said that the ultimate form of acedia was despair which leads to suicide."

In short, sloth is despair that leads to inaction. Sloth is nihilism. Nothing matters because you feel nothing. No love no joy, no peace no hate.

You want to see Sloth/Acedia? Here:

youtube.com/watch?v=y688upqmRXo

Don't try to tell me you didn't cry like a bitch.

Yeah the illusion bit was a little weaker, but there's got to be some way to hammer home the tempting you to not fight it theme a little harder. Also two auras and no attacks risks shit getting boring and bean-countery.

7 deadly sins is shitty thing.

envy as some example is not a bad thing.

>see a guy driving a ferrari
>guy 1: "I wish I had an ferrari"
>guy 2: "you evil prick....., envy is bad"

Congratulations, you have a comprehension that is worse than a toddlers

Fight someone ridiculously strong, only to discover its nothing more than a projection from someone dreaming.

>Congratulations, you have a comprehension that is worse than a toddlers
I assuming semantics is the problem
will google envy trying to find the REAL meaning of the word.
Thanks, for the input

>I assuming semantics is the problem
"First line at wikipedia.

> "occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it".

>"lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and [....] wishes that the other "lacked it".

Now I see, not only its evil, but its stupid as fuck.

"urr durr I dont have a ferrari and i am so stupid that if others don't have a ferrari too, I will not feel bad about not having a ferrari since I will feel rich, since no one else has it either."

No you dope. Its a sin because it escalates. Envy easily leads to crime. Theft. Murder. Fraud. All sorts of crimes happen because of greed and envy.

"if they can't have you, no one can". That is a crime of envy, on top of passion. To envy anothers possessions or abilities leads to sinister thoughts, and sinister thoughts landslide to sinister actions. The reason envy is a sin is that if you do not resist it, it will end up killing someone.

That is the point of the deadly sins. They are emotions and feelings that every person has. If not resisted, it leads to death. yours, theirs, someones.

Some sort of ooze. Barely moves on its own, but when a player touches it, it sticks to them and sucks them in. Other monsters try to corral players towards it.

Snorlax. Also, something that summons things to fight the party for it. I did 7 deadly sins mages in a campaign once. Sloth summoned monsters, put up a prismatic sphere, and then took a nap.

Start with Megatherium.
cracked.com/article_16117_6-formerly-kickass-creatures-ruined-by-evolution.html

Then add demonic levels.

Envy ain't seeing a ferrari and going "I want a ferrari," it's seeing your neighbor's ferrari and going "I want /that/ ferrari"

>I'm kind of stuck on how "Sloth" should be represented monster wise.
It's like you're not even trying.

Our DM introduced a set of 7DS enemy Generals in our campaign a few years back. Sloth was essentially a double agent who was undermining the efforts of our Patron-King by messing with people's heads.
I think that as far as monsters go, messing with how your players feel would be better than with their characters.
Maybe in the middle of a dungeon or what have you the players could find an inn or something, that's populated by Sloth-element or whatever Mimics who basically give your players exactly what they want within the confines of the "inn". Or you could (depending on your players) introduce a daughteru-bait little girl character in an attempt to derail the players from your rails.
If what you're looking for is more for a combat encounter, some kind of bide ability might be cool. Have three or four mobs per encounter, and give them the option to deliberately not heal their allies or attack enemies or whatever and then give them bonuses in the next round, similarly make some of them punish players either for being Slothful themselves or in contrast by being "go-getters" or however you would describe the opposite of Slothful. I also think that rather than bloated, fat body types, withered or decrepit would be better or at least less reminiscent of Gluttony. Maybe have people stuck to their seats or growing into walls because it's been so long since they moved, maybe a lot of the combat encounters could be avoidable then. I mean it's not like the Slothful enemies are going to be going out of their way to attack the party. Maybe the players have to balance just how many encounters they choose to engage in. Give them a smorgasbord of small encounters that will really bog them down in their quest but will be quite lucrative loot and experience wise. if you have a paladin or similarly zealous character in your group, bait them with evil or whatever so that they have to role-play these decisions as well as meta them.

This.

Also, note that in the classical formulation, despair is included in the whole "not bothering to do things you should" package. So despair-based debuffs would fit well.

I like the idea of it distracting them rather than just trying to stun them. You don't have to be inactive to be slothful; procrastination through hobbies is still a form of slothfulness. So it throws out all kinds of minions which they wind up concentrating on instead of it, while it slowly debuffs them into uselessness.

RAPE SLOTH KING OF MAYMAYS

> came here for rape sloth memes
> ended up learning some cool history
How RAPE SLOTH thread became the best thing on Veeky Forums

Sounds like Krune from Rise of the Runelords. What were the other sins in your campaign?

Huge jellyfish that floats around and passively consumes anything that gets too close. It doesn't actively pursue or flee from anything and isn't even sentient, it just drifts drifts around. Having it drift between dimensions would make it a colossal threat since it could just appear out of thin air over a major city or destroy a seal that's keeping some other monstrosity sealed away.

Jellyfish are my only phobia so this would make me nope the fuck out of a game

Don't make it a monster, in the sense of a big thing to fight.
Make it an entity that is agreeable and friendly, one they will be inclined to ally with, that will offer then seeming boons for negligence of their quest and goals. Have it embody sloth by itself being too lazy to fight, and bring them around to their side.
If you insist on giving it more supernatural powers, and have players that will RP along with mind affectation, you can give it some disguise and charm abilities. Otherwise you can have it affect NPCs that they're inclined to listen to.
They aren't going to need to fight Sloth, but instead slothfulness.

A huge snorlax type monster that only sleeps. It has a sleeping aura with increasing (or not) DC. Once failed the PC sleeps but can be waked up by another PC with a simple action. If all PC are asleep, they will keep sleeping until they die of starvation.

The battle would be the PC having to decide if they attack the monster or wake up the allies to avoid a TPK.

It gets a massive army of the lowest of demons to do its dirty work while puking corrosive gunk at long distances.

Also these demons are fat with his gunk, and killing them releases noxious vapors that do damage over time to anyone in the area, and it doesn't go away.

Don't prepare shit.

Tell your players you've been lazy and didn't do your homework. They stat the monster right now.