Supersoldiers

What's your favorite take on the supersoldier?

Whether they're genetically engineered, cybernetically enhanced, trained from birth, etc.

Post-human warriors who can never go back to their old lives and are basically dead men walking. People who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Any of those things or more are fine as long as they are part of a well written piece of work.
Lately though since I've been playing a lot of Warframe I'm partial to "children warped by being trapped in a hell space for years and now have to use cyborg drones to channel their powers safely".

Those that have been forged in the fires of battle, and have been granted equipment to match their skill/dumb luck.

All of them really, but in the vein of , being a super soldier is their whole life. It's not something they'll return to a normal life from. Whether it's selected from birth in 1996, being part of a warrior caste, genetically engineered, or cybernetics. Once a super soldier, always a super soldier. Thematically it works well with subjects such as real life veterans struggling with returning to civilian life in an exageration for emphasis kind of way, sorta like Forever War.

I'm also a huge fan of having several different and competing kinds of super soldiers, with different strengths and tasks. One idea was genetically manipulated Russian part bear hunter force, or massive, quickly grown shock troops wielding heavy weapons and durable as hell, but not particularly clever or versatile. The officers essentially being a mixed of handlers and day care workers. Also had the idea for cybernetic conscription, where a people are just rounded up, cut up and stuffed with cybernetics and training software and sent off. Implants would powered by the body and would include an in body defibrilator and other emergency life support allowing to soldier to fight through minor but usually fatal damage.

I put my own spin on super soldiers in a nationbuilding game once. An accidental opening of a gate to tell, followed by a failed invasion of hell, lead to the creation of a breeding program to create demon blooded super soldiers.

I guess, thinking about it, I don't have a particular favorite. As such, I'm a fan of situations where it can be achieved through different means.

Shadowrun has some neat lore on this. It's perfectly possible to make someone who is super-soldier-tier using exclusively bio-mods, cyberware, a mixture of both, or magical influence. Some are better than others, and often give more in order to be so; an augged-up fucker with cyberlegs and arms is giving up something more than a guy who achieved higher-than-possible norms with fancy new organs that no one can see or discriminate against him for. Adepts are in the middle: their powers can be "turned off," so they only draw attention when placed under occult scrutiny or if they get flashy; they're also vulnerable when not powered, whereas a cyber- or bio-aug can rely on most of their stuff being passive.

Some settings also have interesting and varied ways of going about it: Metal Gear (all of them) give you ways: cybernetics, (very high quality) enhanced-armor, organic parasites, occult meddling, child prodigies raised in war, and pure Charles Atlas Superpower; if one forgives the use of tvtropes parlance.

Star Wars gets in on it: Mandalorians and Republic Commandos rely on child-soldier rearing and martial culture to show for their super-soldiers, while Death Troopers show that cybernetics are also used to achieve the goal.

In terms of power-level, variety is also the spice of life. Using the Shadowrun stuff as an example, I'd expect cyberware-users to be more inherently powerful since they're giving up more for their abilities; SPARTAN- or Astartes-tier as opposed to ORION- or Gland-Trooper-tier; the latter two being achieved through more subtle organic manipulation as opposed to full-on gene-modding and cybernetics. If nothing else you can usually rely on unbelievable expense to prevent higher capability from being very common, including pic related's crazy-expensive (but crazy-awesome) super-armor.

Powers from God.

I prefer a combination of all three. They're a genetically enhanced warrior caste, born/bred for the sole purpose of combat through a process of eugenics and cybernetically enhanced in their teenage years (with mostly things such as a large amount of unspecialized stem cells in their bloodstream (don't know if this is possible, I'm no biologist) that allows them to heal wounds much faster than ordinary humans).

The spartan program in OPs image probably covers my favorite tropes for a super soldier

>indoctrinated/brainwashed at a young age
>extensive training
>genetic/cybernetic augmentation
>given specialized equipment to further enhance what they can do.

Yeah its dark as fuck when it comes to super soldier programs but I like how straightforward the result usually is.

>I admire it's purity

I'm more into the idea of the developing someone's mind rather than making them stronger or faster. The person who can manipulate outcomes in a strange or hostile environment is a more interesting character to me.

I have a soft spot for the second and third generation Spartans, personally. Fuck the Gen IVs and that cunt Palmer in particular.

Evil enemies that are stronger than the protagonists, who will have to get smart and lucky to to defeat an objectively better opponent.

>breeding program
>demon blooded

Fucking 343

Makes me want to puke with rage every time.

Halo bums me out whenever I think about it. Halo 4 and 5 are shit, Bungie tried to remake halo and failed and 343 are retards.

I miss Johnson. He was best Spartan.

This.
The amount of hours I spent on Halo 1 and 2, and to a somewhat lesser extent H3 aswell as the friends I made along the way..

Bums me out to an extreme amount.

I'm a sucker for the old "was once a man", even if they can get a bit angsty at times.

Pic related, for example - not a bad webcomic.

Both men in the scene are supersoldiers - one was a UN peacekeeper during some pretty horrific wars (including genetically engineered child soldiers), then got plenty of surgery and genetic therapy of his own.

The four-armed bloke is also a genetically modified supersoldier but he was grown and trained from the ground up to be one.

I think you can guess who wins

Rolled 5, 4 = 9 (2d6)

TEST

Now, Destiny had and has some serious problems with grind and amount of actual content, but overall I think it's pretty damn good. I'm happy with it in all respects, and the lore in particular is pretty awesome.

The lack of couch co-op was such a stupid move. 343 got cocky and tried to take out one of the features that arguably made Halo what it is today.

Johnson was to good for this world.

>I think you can guess who wins
Since extreme body modification and crazy alterations advance with time the four armed guy?

I'm willing to bet he was trying to imply an "experience dwarfs everything," angle.

Which honestly makes sense. If they're both augged up, but one has the experience of a great many wars and the other has four arms, I think I'd choose the experience over the gimmick.

Of course, this also assumes that most of their augments are equal. I haven't read the webcomic, so I don't know.

To be honest I don't own Destiny but from what I know from friends it's a competently made game, but it's no Halo 1.

And not even just that, but they also cloned the kids, the clones of which died within a few months/years, just to cover up the kidnapping.

A super soldier I feel is the modernisation of the ideals of a knight; individuals selected from and perhaps by birth to be given the training and resources to become ultimate fighters, so that others don't have too.

My ideal would be a seperate caste of people trained from infancy, and who retire either to an incinerator, something like a dreadnought or to teach the next generation of half man half monster killing machines

I think that was partly the issue: people thought Bungie were gonna make something like Halo again, but instead we got a well-made, beautifully designed Borderlands ripoff with a relative dearth of stuff to do after a few months.

Here's hoping Destiny II is better.

I like the approach of the religious supersoldier. Not game-balanced like Paladins in an RPG or something, but physically better than normal soldiers in every meaningful way, powered by an active and approachable deity that can be spoken to directly.

I like the concept of a super solider as simply that: a soldier with a higher degree of competence than the average grunt. Special forces and the like. I've always liked the idea of special forces being trained in more useful things like languages and customs as well so that they can build upon the basic soldier and become something more finely-tuned.

>unf dat CADPAT

> When you dont have any pictures of L'Enfant Terribles
> So you post their dad instead
> mfw

I like the SPARTAN II's. They cost as much as a spaceship and only about half of them even survive the augmentation. They're all kidnapped conscripts without real names and no real contact with the civilization they're built to protect.

A beatiful tragedy, me thinks

I'm rather partial to bird magic.

Those who are made by starting small. Like not enjoying a party.

I've personally liked something like a cross between halo and warhammer 40k on steroids.

Pretty much children drafted to be soldiers, genetically modified, tons of technology and organs grown in test tubes shoved into their bodies, pumped full of drugs and hormones and trained constantly and ruthlessly with a high mortality rate. The end result is terrifying super humans who while still technically having the psychology of humans are so psychologically damaged by their lifetime of being soldiers that they are pretty much all sociopaths with no sense of the value of human life outside of numbers.

Retroviral therapies, nanomachine accelerants, and a device that constantly backs up their memories, experiences, and neural pathways to a main storage system, in case they need to be 'brought back'. Tuned for a generally more vibrant experience - stronger emotional reactions, faster reflexes, greater physical strength of course, quicker minds - beyond mere soldiery.

They're meant to return to the population, outside of war, to spread their altered genes. It's far easier to have them born naturally than spend millions on every single applicant that comes our way.

The narrative in Destiny was obviously unfinished, but the lore and flavor text is in a class all its own.

I think trained from birth probably works the best.

I really like Halo's Spartans because it was really reinforced that the only ones that were left were a combination of insanely strong and insanely lucky.

In a less space-operalike setting, supersoldiers designed to be more spooky Black Operations types would be pretty neat as well, ones that could probably take out a battalion of enemies if they were given some camping supplies and orders to do so.

>Whether they're genetically engineered, cybernetically enhanced, trained from birth
More like bested by generic grunts on regular basis.

Why do you say that? I've never played Destiny but from everyone I ask they say the story is non existent.

In a setting where all your average grunts are genetically engineered, cybernetically altered, trained since childhood, wear spaceproof power armour with exoskeletons and personal shields, as well as pumped full of performance enhancing drugs and dope, what would you have to do more to be considered ''super''?

Be superer. Could always have a cold war style arms race with genetic and cybernetic modifications.
>Our super soldiers are genetically modified to have perfect eye sight, hearing, an improved sense of smell, a much higher pain tolerance, and to build muscle more easily
>Well ours have cybenetic eyes that allow them to spot an ant from a mile away
>Well ours have an advanced ballistic computer hooked up to their brain so they can calculate firing trajectories on the fly to hit an ant from a mile away
>Well our super soldiers have a 25% greater lung capacity
>Well our super soldiers have bones like steel that can resist small arms fire
>Well our super soldiers have skin like kevlar that's resistant to shrapnel

Alternatively you could have each soldier be customized depending on the needs. The elites tasked with hunting down rogue super soldiers might be given every single augmentation available. The basic grunts might just get the basic suite of upgrades while special forces get some additional upgrades depending on their specialization (UDTs have larger lungs so they can hold their breath longer and can have better stamina, snipers might have the aforementioned ballistic computers in their brains).

>Favorite supersoldiers
Cute artificially engineered inhuman girls that can murder people without remorse and are a thousand times more powerful than you but will obey your every command.

that's not magic

>NGNL
get this trash out of here faggot

You are correct. Webcomic is in the filename, it's pretty good.

Also, the guy who made the 4-armed guy was starting from scratch, with the techniques used to make the old soldier being kept very secret, and genetic modification being hugely frowned upon and prohibited - a prohibition which carried enormous penalties, usually the destruction of the offender's army at the hands of the super-soldiers, bioweapons, or nukes.
Or, on more than a couple of occasions, all three.

This is one of the things that annoyed me about post-war Halo; you could have had a storyline about Spartans having to adapt to peacetime, without much in the way of wars to fight, and, having been raised from childhood for nothing BUT war, exploring how they would deal with it.

Well, there is a S2 that did retire from active duty, and was used to test new tech, so it's not an unimaginable stretch.
I believe she even got married.

Sauce?

Why not all three?

I've got two variations in my 1700s Dark Fantasy setting.

#1 are less 'supersoldiers' and more merit-based nobility. They're given near-limitless authority and enough arcane trinkets to fuck up a city.
A martial-themed one can juggle cannons and catch bullets, as long as their arcane gear stays powered.
A noncombant will just have shit like an automapper.

#2 is more of a 'failed supersoldier.' It's what happens when the techniques used to make arcane items mesh poorly with aftereffects of a three-century old arcane storm, and the subject dies while this is going on.

They heal rapidly from any injury, which is nice, and they get more dangerous as they do so. Think missing fingers turning into 4" claws, extra heads, etc. They're also undead in a setting without clerics, and they don't need vital organs to live. The catch is that, seeing as they're dead, motivating them to work for you is nigh-impossible.

Respect.

The fuck you on about

H5 Multiplayer is excellent singleplayer is meh

No Game No Life.

>implying settingfags give a damn about multiplayer.

Lead writer said 'well screw you guys' when Activision went full money grab and forced Bungie to cut certain parts of the story out of the main release. That's the start of it, at least.

>genetically engineered, cybernetically enhanced, trained from birth
I like a mix of all the above. I'm currently writing in a setting that uses them extensively.
> Cybernetically enhanced, memory and identity erased, trained from rebirth as weapons
> Genetically engineered and trained from birth, minor cybernetics
> Nano-enhanced to interface with equipment
> Cybernetically enhanced and sealed into power armour
The thing is that the projects don't tend to go well, and you end up with escaped projects running around, and collecting together.
And then starting a eugenics program, crossing genetic enhancements with hereditary magical powers, sprinkled with warrior culture and training from an early age.
Although as a nod to ethics, the eugenics program is more matchmaking than forced breeding.

Underrated post.

>tfw no 2,5m tall Spartan waifu to snu snu with

They're not treated or considered human due to being exposed to conditions and circumstances that have broken them psychologically. While what remains of the person still exists, they're hidden behind a ruthless exterior needed for the jobs They're simply weapons with personalities, don't mistake their quirkiness for any sort of sympathy or human understanding.

>a well-made, beautifully designed Borderlands ripoff
T H I S
H
I
S

Correct description, wrong and objectively shit tier example. Try again.

>multiplayer
>setting
what

Yeah that shit's good.

My supers setting had a ton of different types of supers, with various countries doing different shit. China pumped conscripts full of science drugs to make them into banes, the EU had a task force of psyonics, japan had a range of power-armoured weeaboo wet greams.

It's all in the mind really.

I like my supersoldiers to have some kind of black box super device in their core.
Usually these are gotten through sinister means, be they a shackled AI or a grey goo in a can or a sinister organ harvested from extradimensional horrors.

considering where that comic took place, she and her implied children are probably all dead, user
>tfw when she knew the armor was going to john and felt safer because of it

>tfw madness combat has a more nuanced plot than your campaign keeps turning into

Feels bad man

What do you consider a super-soldier? Do they have to be augmented somehow, or does someone who's just really good at being a soldier count?

There was that priest movie, where all of these guys were taken as children and trained to be super badass vampire killers so that they could end the war. When the war was over, they struggled to adapt to civilian life, feared by the people they once saved.
It was an okay movie I guess

Happening to have nigh-perfect genes for a soldier is a perfectly legitimate claim for super soldier status. Really to qualify they just need to be better than you can get through normal training and soldiering experience.

>tfw you will never hunt that bounty

These two guys could beat everyone posted before them.

[honor of the regiment intensifies]

>implying you can beat the ass

Doom guy is my favorite.

Probably because of the memes.

Oh they have that covered.

>covering ass
>with anything but hands

>warhammer
>competing with bolo
good joke, my friend.

I like the ones who unabashedly enjoy being superhuman. Typically this comes paired with them being an ordinary guy who then gets augmented somehow. After that their victories should be less about their superior physical abilities than about their wits and character.

Basically, Captain America.

I am Resartus.

The Seven Swords/Legions from Living Steel/Dragonstar Rising.

Jesus. That level of hubris is far different from the Cap'n that I've been told of.

That's not Hubris, it's this thing called determination, and belief that you are doing the right thing, and the bravery to stand up to the whole of humanity if necessary to prove the righteousness of your cause. Cap isn't proud, never has been, he's righteous and concerned only with justice and doing what is right, what is truly the right thing to do.

>I like the ones who unabashedly enjoy being superhuman.
that's... not really cap at all. cap does good because doing good is the core of his being, but his personal life is a whole lot of suffering. hell, the speech you posted is from when cap, and people like him were being rounded up and deported to the negative zone without trial, and cap was forced to fight some of his best friends

Except he was wrong. Did you read the story?

He literally realizes that he was entirely wrong and willingly surrenders himself because he got so caught up in defending his cause against everyone by any means that he was getting innocent people killed and failed to notice when he lost the support of literally anyone who wasn't fighting beside him; civilians were actively jumping him because of how wrong he was and how hurt everyone was getting.

That means this statement, particularly in hindsight, is hubris. It's actually a silly bit of foreshadowing, because he literally doesn't live up to it. When the entire world--personified by the civilians who tackle him mid-fight with Iron Man--shows him how fucking wrong he is, he breaks down into tears and turns himself in.

I should specify this is with the comic's shitty writing. In the actual comic Civil War, neither side is protrayed as good or correct or even just. The film did a much better job of making it so both sides actually had viable points; one wasn't more right than the other, and if you didn't flip-flop at least once or twice when watching it the first time, you must have been pretty fucking dead-set on who you thought was correct from the get-go.

BB is organic, SS, LS and Raiden are definitely super

>Did you read the story
did you? while the marvel editorial team/main book for civil war decided that pro-reg was correct, the rest of the writers, and most of the general public, were unabashedly anti-reg, because the pro-reg side was goddamn fascism which consitently violated the constitution, trained children to be government assasins, and hired villains to throw heroes into the goddamn negative zone. and then tony stark let the world get invaded by skrulls. the problem was that a scottish fascist was writing the main book, so he didn't see any of the problems

>BB is organic
By which I assume you mean not a super-soldier, but just a really good soldier.

>[SS and LS] are definitely super
By which qualifications? If they're clones of BB, who I assume based on your comments is just a regular soldier, what makes SS and LS super?

Raiden I understand; especially if we're talking about post-cyborg Raiden.

I'mma be real, dude: I never gave even a little bit enough of a shit to read about it after the actual event Civil War was done. I was even enough of a normie that I just bought an anthology of it after the fact and read all of that at once.

The movie did it much better, but that doesn't change the fact that the comic, as it was portrayed in the Civil War itself (I won't comment on something that I haven't read), Cap'n was not only wrong, but couldn't even live up to his own statement in .

In the Movie at least I always agreed with Cap but I saw Tony's points. They were and are logically sound but they don't work in the long term and are very easily turned to evil purposes. When you have Mutants like Jean Grey, and the Scarlet Witch, and Gods like Thor running you cannot chain them to bureaucracy, just because some are evil, and sometimes in fighting this evil, collateral damage happens, it's the same In the real world. You also can't lock them up for being good people that don't want to kill for your governmental system, even if they make mistakes, they do not deserve that. If Mutants and other Super-humans existed regulating them would only serve to do one thing, normal humans would quickly become extinct. The entire premise is stupid on it's face, because the Mutants would rally under Magneto or a similar leader and bring down humanity as a whole. It's no different in the comics, in my view, the argument is the same it's just on a larger scale in the film.

The main point the film did better than the comic did was the fact that with the film, it was only supers who wanted to be vigilantes. You didn't see them actively targeting people who just happened to be Enhanced to twist them to the government's purposes. The Accords were very simple: if you want to be an Avenger, you play ball for the UN.

The comic turned the entire registration into a semi-fascist organization where supers who didn't play ball were put into a hyperspace gulag, and it didn't matter whether or not you wanted to be a hero; you still had to register and be government-ruled.

In that case, the movie stood head-and-shoulders above its source material. I always found it so hard to agree with either side, because Iron Man was supporting a fascist-lite contract and Cap'n was doing some borderline terrorist shit to avoid it. Both sides were wrong, the comic just portrayed one as more wrong than the other.

With the film, the more government-gulag shit was not only downplayed--reserved for those who not only didn't want to play ball, but actively resisted after being given multiple chances to stop--but the main character who represented that side to us wasn't aware of the worst of it and actively tried to fight against it on the down-low while staying true to the spirit of the Accords.

>because the Mutants would rally under Magneto or a similar leader and bring down humanity as a whole. It's no different in the comics, in my view, the argument is the same it's just on a larger scale in the film.
conveniently, m day happened at the exact same time. and even then, the sentinel containment around the xavier institue (cyclops and emma frost having imprinted the deaths of a bus full of former x-kids into ms marvels mind as their oh so polite way of telling the SHRA to kiss their mutie ass, and the pro-reg side not wanting to deal with the most power/square inch short of asgard) failed on pretty much a daily basis. speaking of super soldiers, do giant, human piloted weapons platforms count?

I agree the movie did it much better, but locking up Hawkeye and Scarlet witch and the others for shit Tony started, was total BS and puts me firmly on Caps side here. It's also not just the avengers that are required to register, all "Enhanced" individuals must register. The Avengers are just the only ones relevant to the plot of the film. For me the issue comes down to who i trust more The American Government/UN and Tony Stark, or Captain America, literally the personification of the best of humanity, and America specifically, For me that's Cap.
I know they left the mutants at Xaviers Institute alone, for the most part anyway, if they tried they'd have Logan, and Jean Grey to deal with, and neither the comic or Fox movie versions are anything you want to fuck with.

Man the Halo novels really hit home how much the Spartan program sucked

>Logan, and Jean Grey
jean was dead at the time, but logan brought in x-23 as a back up (at this point still in full murder folk. pluss for blinking the wrong way mode) and scott was on to banging emma, at this point at her most mind-rapey. plus the school was basically turned into darwinian mutant army training for the relatively few remaining mutants. because motherfuckers just would not stop trying to kill them

my biggest issue was that tony was trying to force his guilt over his fuckups onto others. which, okay, scarlet witch was a terrorist, but unlike tony, most of the other heroes were fighting things that weren't there fault (and were, in several cases, the fault of the government). so just because tony has immense personal guilt, other heroes should be forced to be easy targets next time hydra builds a superweapon with government funding

Haven't read all of them, but Logan alone is nearly unkillable, in fact quite possibly Immortal, and how fucking stupid are the Pro-reg people to keep going after the Xavier Institute and X-men? They're an incredibly powerful team. Storm, Cyclops, and Logan, could probably kill entire armies easily with just the three of them, attacking them seems foolhardy and stupid.