Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'm endeavoring to make a pantheon of sorts for my 5th ed setting. I'm kind of stuck, a little. I only have 3 gods thought up in concept, not even named or anything.

>God of Healing, who is a happy, slightly crazy, bandaged up dude. His Clerics wear a bandage about them somewhere, be it on the arm, leg or finger.
>FemKhorne, in essence, who is all up on brutal violence, especially in war. A friend of mine said I should work something period related in. Considering it tentatively.
>A Mountain God, who is mishmash of Crom and Kholek Suneater: generally shitty in disposition, hangs out on a huge mountain, brings down storms and calamities. Will consume...like, the Stars, the Sun or Moon or some shit. Still in development.

I'm just drawing a great big blank for the rest of them.
I mean, Moradin, Gruumsh and Corellon Larethian are also hanging around, so I don't have to worry about them.

And obviously, I'm going to make sure all the domains are covered with some overlap.

Care to help me brainstorm?
If not, have you ever thought up a pantheon yourself? How did you go about it? Tell me about it. Maybe it help me will kickstart my creative process.

Thanks in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/33915461/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

polite bump

We played a god game before yeah, where each player was a deity and created the setting together. We had a few interesting ones, sure. Did you have somethings you needed in particular?

That is a badass idea. I've thought about running a game like that myself. What system did you use?

As for what I need? Well, like I posted, I'm a tad...stuck. I have only those 3 Gods thought up. I'm trying to...be at least quasi-original with the deities in question, so I hoped to make a general "Pantheon Making/Homemade Pantheon stories" thread in hopes we could all brainstorm and shit, feel me?

...The Fem!Khorne isn't original at all though.

How many gods are you looking to have in total? You want quality, not quantity. It's better to have like 10 gods with a reasonably detailed mythology than channel your inner Tolkien and created some retardedly complicated pantheon (that will never be 100% relevant by the way, your players will be interested but won't really give a shit).

I say this not to discourage you but to tell you don't set yourself up for disappointment as a result of being overly ambitious.

Borrow an existing pantheon framework if you want a general idea of what other gods should be added to your existing roster. That's what the one guy did when making the 2000's JLA, matched up the easy ones like Batman = Hades and Flash = Apollo and then worked backwards to fill in the gaps.

To contribute, one of my favorite Tolkien gods was Tulkas. Strong, impatient, loves battle, and a warrior through and through. He doesn't ride any steed and uses no weapons, he just chases shit down on foot and punches them to death. Wrestles the evil-god into submission and helps the smith god imprison him.

Admittedly. I think we have, like, a few crazy wargoddesses out there, don't we? Even irl. Not sure about the whole period rites though.

Not including racial Gods? 8-11, give or take one or two

God of healing seems actually ibtetesting if some more fluff is added
Femkhorne seems uninspired
Im not even sure what to say about mountain god

>God of healing seems actually ibtetesting if some more fluff is added

My friends really, really like him. Because, well, jolly healing god who looks almost like The Rat King from TMNT but without being a homeless psycho.

Femkhorne and Mountain God, I'll even admit, aren't the best.

Here is a thread we had a few years ago that might help with ideas.
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/33915461/
I would also pitch the idea of a God of Mana as one that created the world.

God of beggars.
The "pariah god", but the one who knows the secret of the universe because nobody ever notices him as he sneaks a peek at the Big Truth. That said, he's utterly mad and would either say the fundamental truth, or utter gibberish.
His temples are any beggars who asks for change.
His offerings are said change.
He needs no worshipers, just offerings.

DM had us using straight up D&D with some supplement he found. It wasn't amazing, but it worked well enough.

Well in our game we had 6 players which resulted in 4 initial creator gods of the setting, and then eventually 6 main gods of the continuing setting, as well as each getting to make two minor gods or more if they were creative.

We ended up having;

>Goddess of order, pretty magical realm but she "civilized" creatures and imbued a soul upon them, most beloved and respected by gods and mortals alike
>God of nature (mine), which came to be split right down the middle in terms of living things with the creature goddess, least respected by gods and mortals for very low physical being
>God(s) of the unliving, not undead though but unliving mass like the planet and anything of solid form, venerated and respected for more or less making the world and continuing to shape it
>Triple Goddess sisters of the ways, basically the sky, the land and the waters, they created living animals of all kinds though each came to be reviled for different crimes they committed
>Divine entity of time, which came to double up on death as well, beloved oddly for giving everything a purpose
>Divine entity of non-native presences to the setting, basically a sort of gatekeeper to not just the afterlife or underworld but also things like aliens and other planar beings, not very well understood but respected for tireless duty

Maybe through in some other domains

Like him being super sneaky and pulling a prometheus with his new knowledge which led to the other gods getting super pissy at him and wreaking his ass then throughing him into exile leading to him being the god of outcast and exiles
Theives,beggers, hermets all are derived from his action

Though before those main gods of the common "pantheon" were the initial creators;

>Goddess of light, boundless fury against darkness, after creating the main portion of the setting she charged into the darkness (space?) to wage an endless losing war against the dark, respected for being the highest power and creator but feared by all for her merciless rage
>Divine entity of fate, wrote what was, what is, and what will be, then died, but forever respected
>God of shadows, represented the objects within the dark, illuminated by the light goddess, essentially the creator for what mattered, though largely reviled for his cowardly and exploitative nature
>Divine entity of deals, what allowed this whole thing to come about in the first place, treated warily since it always maintained an active presence even among mortals despite being an initial creator

>Goddess of Rot and Decay, scheming and patient since everything will eventually come to her anyway.
>God of Dimensional Travel, incase you're doing a high-fantasy realm. Fickle and gets easily entertained.

Otherwise just go and look at different pantheons and modify what you want.

Can you remember the supplement name?

If I did I'd have posted it, it's been awhile since the game. I just remember the stats were sort of two-fold and you had the god itself's stats, and then the stats of their divinity. So you could be the sort of god who's mostly physical and comes down from the sky and walks around and punches mountains in half, or you could be the sort of god who dwells up in the sky and shapes the mountain through divine influence, or some mix between.

Bump for gods

>5 meg image

kill you're self

OP here

I concur

Trickster gods were always my favorite. Often foolish, or seemingly foolish, and usually end up fucking with everyone else. They also end up benefiting whatever mortal race is in the setting.

I was thinking the Bandaged God of Healing could also be that, in a sense.

I was talking to my friend about it, and one of the big things is that he is always so damned stoked. Like, he himself potentially doesn't even know much medicine, he just likes it that much.

Anyway, I thought that it would be fun and funny of he keeps accidentally causing minor trouble, only to cheerfully fix it. And cover it with bandages.

(as an aside, I was wondering how he would feel about Mummies, and if in my setting Mummies could wind up being goodly because of crazy Bandaged Healing God)