/mtg/ modern general

OFFICIAL MODERN MTG GENERAL

Rip in peace probe. You were an essential part to literally so many fun and interesting decks but some poor faggots had to make meme kiln fiends and ruin you for everyone. You will be deeply missed desu. I don't care about Golgari Grave troll though, they clearly have no idea how to balance dredge so I can't see why they keep printing cards for it. Fucking retards should fix other cards before they just kill off the entire arch type. Oh well.

Daily plug that if you wanna meme kiln fiend/ keep playing Probe, Pauper is a thing.

Is modern dead?

Modern is looking better than ever

No one wants to play delver, the delvering

pauper really isn't a thing except on MTGO

Cause only retards spend actual money on digital fucking cards. Yeah I'm talking to you hearthstone cucks

all is dust > oblivion stone

Anyone still running Kiki chord?

Whats the cheapest deck i can get with chinamen fakes that is not infect?

>probe
>fun and interesting
fuck off. essential 4 of in almost any deck. best ban I've ever seen wizards do.

I literally stopped playing modern because of probe. it kills so many fun decks. I went back to mtg after a year of not playing, did a random modern tournament, got probed every game, didn't come back. wizards did it right, but too late for me.

Then why are you still here? Fuck off shithead

Not him, but I do. Delver is magic at it's purest and finest

There's a guy at my LGS who still plays it. It's pretty boring.

>probe in every deck
Are you retarded or just memeing?

How is it boring? I don't understand, I have always found it really fun. Oh and what happened to abandon coco

>Swinging with undercosted beaters is Magic at its purest and finest
Fuck. This is what R&D actually believes.

>wahh don't invade my safe space!
don't you have a deck to net?

sorry, you're going to have to learn to play control without seeing your opponents hand for FREE every game.

if you have any blue control spells in your modern deck and you don't have probe main or sided, you're just bad.

Have you guys played with new Tamiyo yet?
I was playing bant tallowisp for some laughs and that entire deck aside, I ran one Tamiyo. She's quite powerful.
Her +1 fucks with combat on both players turns or just nets you incredible card advantage. Essentially protecting herself kinda

-2 should be obvious why it can be useful and the ultimate is deck dependent but certainly isn't weak although I never used it

Do you think a bant she'll could benefit from their use? I don't play bant usually but could spirits jam one or two? Is spirits a meme deck? I've got goyfs if needed

>Esper control or American control
>running probe
Wow

I meant boring to sit across.
I've always found decks that do nothing but spam creatures to be really boring.

Moderns gonna be the next format to fade away.
Commander, Legacy and Standard is all we need in 2017.

if you aren't siding them, you're retarded. people main in esper all of the time. they annihilate combo.

i havnt seen a bant deck with playing that wanted her, boggles was in no need of it, and thats the only bant deck i know of

It is. You have a clock so games don't go too long . You aren't hyper aggro. You play a slew of spells and actually acknowledge your opponent is playing with you.
I think it's much better than playing sorceries with bodies slapped onto them.

But probe was essential in both of those...

>I don't know what delver is all about
You are a retard
Even more retard that the guy that is complaining about probe and thinks we don't realize he is trolling

Show me literally 1 top 8 list that does

Funnily enough my legs is slowly converting to legacy and standard.

It's times like these that I am glad I chose Boros burn as my first modern deck. It's very unlikely that any part of my deck gets banned.

a tempo/aggro deck like Bant Spirits doesn't want to tap out on turn 4 just to potentially draw cards/freeze things

maybe you could brew some Bant midrange around her

>Autist that cannot spot trolling

>Ruins any deck that needs to play mindgames.
>Lets "hurr durr drop all my pumps spells no worries about getting blown out turn 2 kill" kiddies exist.
>Fun

The card is just too free and literally removes a part of the game, playing around unknown cards.
One of the best bans they've done in a long time.

googling takes 5 seconds to show you it's been all over top 8 for years. it's the 15th most used card in modern, that's how OP it is. you're fucking retarded and ignorant.

not at all. it's the 15th most used card in modern.

are you guys seriously this upset you can't see hands for free anymore? fuck off. time to learn to play for real! oh no!

Is good to know shitters like you don't play legacy

I actually prefer legacy, I just think it doesn't need to be in modern.

>average Belcher player

In Legacy you are allowed to have powerful cards because you can fight them off with other powerful cards. Modern simply doesnt have the answers to things like Legacy does.

Jund

Go figure right? The fucking deck that is 99% Rares is the cheapest maximizing the best quality counterfeits available.

Actually now that I think about it, because the deck is playing Kalitas, New Liliana, and Grim Flayer, that's really only true for Jund from a year ago.

Im not upset with the bans im more upset that theres no unbans. Wizards loves creatures so unban Stoneforge so a white aggro deck can emerge as viable. Also give us Preordain back now that Probe is gone and unban Punishing Fire and Chrome Mox

>Kalitas, New Lili, and Flayer
>wahhh i literally am a huge poorfag who cant afford $150 in cards

>In legacy when they probe T2 if you don't have FoW or counterspell you die to storm

>In modern UF they probe t3 and you don't have bolt or path you die to infect

Wew lad

I was with you up until punishing fire

>ignoring massive format differences
Legacy has way more answers to combo decks and decks trying to do broken things like Infect. Modern Infect proved too resilent for decks to beat even if they were playing a ton of removal. Probe just made it even easier since they can make sure you dont have it and set up a plan for if you do have it.

T. Ad nauseam player

Probe being the Top 15th card probably has more to do with the fact that it's used in Infect and Death's Shadow and a LOT of people play those decks. The sites collating popularity show lots of Infect and Death's Shadow, which combined account for 18% of Top 8 standings.

If you were to consider how often Probe is a part of all the T1 and T2 decks it's probably much smaller - it's representation is probably only 2/20 decks.

Just like Ghost Quarter showing up fucking 25% in the Top 8 decks even though it's only played in 2-3 decks but those decks are played a lot.

Favouite Decks are probably Mentor Miracles and anything with Leovald.

You sound silly.

Infect is actually really easy to beat if you have a ton of removal. But people aren't playing grixis control or anything with tons of removal, they're playing other uninteractive shit. Infect is just the fastest uninteractive deck.

nobody plays ad nauseam because of probe. maybe that will change now. that's been the entire problem with probe, and why it's banned. kills all of the fun decks.

Actually I play Burn and my infect matchup was pretty good. Those Eidolons man.

>it's used so much because of these popular decks!
okay? nice counter-argument.

the first option that comes up on google for me is probe being in the T1 deck in 2014 modern. idk what you're smoking. admit your shit is OP and learn to play for real. actually, you're forced to.

Ad Nauseam's mana base is very distinctive, a good infect player will know you have no interaction most of the time anyway. Infect seeing less play will make Ad Naus better, but the match up itself won't change.

If stoneforge goes in, Batterskull will be going out with it.

But swords might be strong enough still with SFM.

I'd like to see how good Abzan is with Push before I pass judgement on SFM

I wasn't making any judgements on the card I was just pointing out why it's so commonly played due to how popularity statistics are generated.

But thanks for responding like a faggot anyways.

Being on the draw vs AN was so much better for infect than being on the play because you knew from the start the coast was clear

I agree with unbans but maybe not those cards. Stoneforge would be alright, Mox seems pretty weak though and I can't imagine what would run it

Would a card like this help to make storm viable in modern again?

Go away

Its not kiln fiends that got it banned its infect you fucking tard. It replaces itself, gives you all the information you need, and gives you one mana for your become immense without slowing down your turn. If you couldnt pay life it would have been fine but you can keep full mana and know if you can just cut right through your opponents hand with your unstoppable pumpboy.

Hide and ignore, hes hunting for (You)s

They did it, they transformed modern into Frontier

>infect needs a nerf
>ban probe
Makes no sense, literally any other card would make more sense

>Jund
>Ban blood braid elf and drs, obviously broken cards
>Never ban anything since
It's fucking oppressive desu, literally the fucking fun police

Infect wants hand information and to have fuel for delve. In infect this card is a free cantrip, hand information, and free mana. The way it was they could pay 2 and you couldnt afford to counter because they probably have pumps. Itndoesnt nerf kiln fiend because that deck can afford to play peek while infect might lose if they peek before swinging so they would likely wait one more turn which is exactly the kind of nerfing wotc wants to do

>printed a hard counter
Adapt to the new meta and git good.

Did anyone else buy their Grave Thug's prebanning in case Wizards was going to be retarded and not ban Cathartic Reuinion.
At least getting Narcomebas back with Thug will be cool.

Just ban become inmense

What's the hard counter to jund?

Or ban probe, it sees play in more decks and it's a bigger problem, and banning probe nerfs BI

Its a card that destroys design spave by itself because it soaks it all up. With this card gone maybe they can get off their asses and finally print an instant speed scry 5

New liliana is line a 2 of at most, kalitas too. Jund should not play Grim Flayer

Banning become immense could ruin the deck, banning probe slows the deck down a turn. They dont want to kill modern just slow it down.
push

>it sees play in more decks
Exactly why it should not be banned

Banning probe has a bigger impact on infect than become immense.

Ban Inkmoth nexus desu, nerf the shit out of infection and affinity and we can finally have peace.

The point of the bans wasn't to reduce infect's power, it was about the fact that all these hyper aggressive decks got free information and a free redraw. It made those decks absurdly safe and consistent. That was the problem, not BI. In taking out probe you hurt these all in decks without reducing their power. You're putting more risk into "high risk, high reward" decks

It's a degenerate card. And it's free.

They should've gone whole hog and banned Phyrexian Mana all together, that would been hilarious.

A turn 3 4/4 vigilance lifelink is fine in a format with a turn 2 4/4 Thoughtseize

I know, but it still has the same kill potential, if you want to see their hand youre gunna have to lose some tempo and mana now. Just because there is green in the deck doesnt mean you should he able to autopilot to a win.

That's the point. The deck stays fundamentally the same but it becomes riskier to play. It was a great banning actually

Unban splinter twin pls

I don't disagree, but I doubt wizards will let them exist in modern together.

Thought-Knot is a special breed of cancer that'd I'd rather forget.

Pretty much perfect, yeah.

You can still go full retard and throw 3 pumps on one guy, but you risk 2/3/4-for-1s.

>banning probe slows the deck down a turn
if infect has no idea how much removal the opponent is holding one turn why would they suddenly be safe next turn?
I just want a tron ban desu. If I'm building a deck and it has problems with infect or dredge I can bring in more cards that are good against those decks, both main and sideboard. Comparatively if your tron match up sucks there's little you can do without changing the core of your deck.

They have 12 infect creatures and protection. It takes at least 10 instant speed burn spells to fend off Infect with real consistency.

Thays what i was trying to tell

>tfw no probe for my esper control list
How will I ever see my opponents hand and draw a free card ;_;

Why are shitposters allowed to exist if they're not being at least somewhat funny

UNBAN PREORDAIN
UNBAN BALEFUL STRIX

Play peek you fucking noob

They'll never print baleful strix in standard

Your turn 3 needs one card in hand while turn for seer requires 3. Bad comparison.

Its never been printed in standard, its not banned in modern because it never was part of the format.

Strix and Shardless would be sweet

Return to alara user

can they just print it in MMA or does it not work like that

Not at all

No. Only cards printed in standard from 8th edition onwards are modern legal. MMA is just a compilation of modern legal cards, even if they put something non-modern legal in there it wouldn't become modern legal. That's how the rules work currently at least.

No, legality is determined by standard printings. MM does nothing to legality

yes pls
too bad they'll probably throw in phyrexians