Kill Team General /ktg/

KT Love Edition

The 40k format where you play with a few small squads of dudesmen and individual models. Post lists, talk shop, and don't be a faggot. GW official and HoR welcome, though it's polite clarify which one you're talking about.

Heralds of Ruin rules here:
heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.com/

It's been too damn long since we've had one of these.

Other urls found in this thread:

ironsleet.com/
cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/gaming_and_diversion/Warhammer_40K_Collection/Warhammer 40k - Codex - Chapter Approved 2003.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just did a Tau v. SM game with 2 different lists. Won 1 Lost 1. 11 Drones and 5 Strikers went fairly well. 5 PF, 5 Strikers, and Stealth team went horribly awry.

Tell me about your campaigns, Veeky Forums. What forces were involved? What were their goals? Was there a storyline or did you just want to roll some dice?

How do you use 11/11/10 2HP killakan without it exploding? Is it a beefy gun platform and thats it? WS2 melee is like a mockery.

I tried playing it and it just explodes to a single plasma marine that came out from outflanking. Gay. After seeing admech walker's +3` movement I'm officially jelly.

Not so much a campaign, but I
ll talk a bit about my last HoR game.

It was 1v1v1 on a map with Space Hulk tiles. The objective was simple - recover the relic and take it to the exit. Said relic happened to be Trazyn, but nevermind that.

So obviously, one faction was necrons. They started from the far end of the map (closer to the heart of the hulk) and were closest to the relic, desperately trying to recover their lost leader. The second faction was Dark Angels, with several Deathwing terminators supported by plasma tacticals, and they started from the entrance/exit (so even if the necrons got to the relic first, they would have to fight their way through). Last was me, playing dark eldar. A succubus heard of the relic and sent an incubus team in under the guidance of a single trusted wych, because necron trinkets are best trinkets. I started near the middle, but furthest from the relic (which was in a corner between DA and necrons).

For me, the game went poorly but it was exceptional fun. Despite being furthest, I had a single beastmaster with dogs and he claimed the relic first. From there, everything fell apart as the necrons then caught up and trapped me, and I escaped them only to end up in the killzone of the plasma marines, who had the whole exit corridor fortified. I also made the fatal error of forgetting incubus Punisher halberds were only AP3 when I ambushed the deathwing termies in a pincer attack. 3 of them were ripped to shreds instantly by one termy.

But I said it was fun. The highlight was the deathwing teleporter that takes the user 2D6" in any direction. That worked amazingly on the spacehulk map and led to a lot of fun moments - including the eventual claiming of the relic and teleporting past the necron blockade directly into the room that opens the exit door. Also, despite my heavy losses, incubi gonna incubi as they passed 5 (F I V E) rout tests in a row. Yet the SM player, with the relic AT THE DOOR, failed his first rout test.

Working on my Skitaari team, almost done with the basecoating for my Acolyte Dominus. Gonna try to get him done before the weekend. I got a game on saturday against 'nids and maybe another against Orks.

I'd really like to get some more heavy shit into my team but all the skitaari heavy minis cost an arm and a leg and I'm a poorfag. Gonna have to make do with rangers.

What kind of twisted heresy is this?

Power armor torsos and heads with terminator arms and legs? The mechanicus will have a word with you, son...

Vehicles will always be vulnerable to high power weapons. Yeah, you want that kan as a gun platform rather than a melee machine.

A way you might allow it to survive better is to bubblewrap it with boys so anyone going after it has to contend with being counter-charged or has to get through the cover save the boys might provide the walker. Basically, form a perimeter and keep infiltrators/outflankers off the heavy.

Current planned primary list is:

>Skitarii [200]
Leader [50]
>Sicaran Infiltrator Princeps (45)
>Refractor Field (5)
Troops [90]
>Skitarii Vanguard x5 (45)
>Skitarii Vanguard x5 (45)
Special [60]
>Secutarii Peltast x5 (60)

I know it's better to have some Plasma Calivers in the Vanguard groups, but I like Peltasts and their own weapons seem to make up for the lack of special weapons on the team. Still, If I want neat guns I'd have to drop basically all of them and use those points for special guns, limiting the number of wounds I can put on the field.

Well, I could also downgrade the Infiltrator to a cheap Alpha, but I love the look of the Infiltrator and want a scary melee monster that can swoop in and assassinate specific enemy models or present a big hazard to anything that wants to mix it up with my troops.

>He doesn't model his artificer armor with grey knight bling

Do CSM get their free "Traitor-legions-Votlw" in kill team too?

also, is this list too small to work?

1x Noise Champion Votlw,Doom Siren
6x Noise Marines votlw, ccw, Sonic Blaster

1x Chaos Rhino

Am putting together a Victory is Vengeance campaign for myself and five friends.
>The Inquisition arrives on a Forgeworld with a mysterious package
>After taking it to the vaults the Forgeworld suddenly go full lockdown, then loses power.
>A local Marine garrison arrives when Orks from the Ash plains of the forgeworld start sporadically attacking and breaching its defences
>Meanwhile Eldar pop out from a subterranean webway gate
>And a hidden Chaos Warband long awaiting this day puts their plan into action

The upkeep charts were tweaked a bit to suit 40k armies, but the hero tables and objectives are good as is.

All that's left is to figure out a simple campaign score system, since it's likely going to be a six-way slugfest with no allegiances.

Thinking about starting one, but need to actually get my friends to make lists (and learn the rules properly). That and come up with a good premise for throwing Tyranids, Chaos, a bunch of Imperials and Orks into the mix together.

>In hot pursuit of a Chaos Warband fleeing a warzone, things take a turn for the worse as combined Imperial forces chase their foe into the outer edges of the Octarius system.

If you're talking about regular KT, that depends on the list you're building from. If you're building out of Traitor's Hate then I'd assume so.

Imperials and Chaos want the planet for strategic and resource reasons, Nids want more biomass, and Orks heard there was a fight in the sector.

What size boards do people play on? There's some talk on the HoR facebook page about people playing with 3x3 tables with shrunken deployment zones and how it makes the games quicker by cutting out turn 1 manoeuvring. I'm not sure that'd be a good thing myself, but what's everyone's experience with it?

I've played on a 4ft diameter round table with LOS blocking terrain. Jump packs, bikes and beasts become absolute monsters and will dominate the board if they go first, and range armies have one tight chance to get into LOS and fire before they are charged. On a 3ft board there would be really no point in buying range weapons for distance, or getting relentless for a heavy weapon. It'd probably be great for crashing melee teams into each other, though.

I've been playing HoR with a 3ft table and the battles definitely gravitate towards melee. Bolters are rarely out of range and turn 2 charges are a certainty unless someone is keeping all of their units back.

Is it worth bringing Guardians along in HoR KT, or would I be better served by just taking Dire Avengers instead?

Just borrow the premise from Dawn of War II, or something like the 40k campaign where basically all factions were fighting over one planet which was going to be consumed by a warp storm and everyone was scrambling to achieve their own aims.

Guardians make cheap point filler for Core, but Dire Avengers are better at holding ground, which can be good at sitting on objectives.

My Veteran Guardsmen scored a close victory recently against Veteran Cultists. We both went for an infantry push down the middle and ground through each others ranks. A very fun, very close fought game.

Am I the only person struggling horribly to try and come up with a viable tyranid killteam that isn't just gaunt spam?

Deep Striking Stormtrooper ran the role of Assassin and targeted the Cultist Champion. Blasted him twice at point blank and he was still standing, so he charged in. The champion survived everything coming his way and put the Stormtrooper in the ground with one swing of his Power Sword.

There's GSC Genestealers, but otherwise Gaunts or Gargoyles are your go-to for the core of your list. Well, also Rippers if you want. Focus instead on what you want for the list's backbone out of the slightly larger Tyranids organisms like Warriors.

Is this HoR or GW KT? I'm not sure how GW KT handles it, probably poorly, but HoR seems to make Tyranids easier to work with, even giving those basic Gaunt squads some limited free refills in campaign.

For these matches we play on a 4 x 2 because these are focused Skirmishes that randomly occur. Before each campaign mission, we roll a dice. One a 1, both sides forces encounter each other while on a expedition. Full casualty rules are in play, but the match only lasts three turns. So you can hide until it's over or try and inflict some damage to make the next mission sway more in your favour.

Outside that, we play on a 4x4 with plenty of terrain and varied elevation. We rarely go any bigger or smaller than that.

They're almost 50% more expensive, but a 4+ save and 50% more range is pretty useful too.

I've seen some warrior heavy lists for HoR, but then you're permanently living in fear of krak missiles and melta weapons.

My friend and I are plotting out a kill team campaign, my Tyranids against his Tau. The plan is for a slowly building story centered around a Nid outbreak on a world the Tau are investigating.

Right now, I'm sorting out how to best get across the stomp Nidzilla nature of my usual army in a smaller game like this.

I would do like said. The Tyranids sent some genestealers ahead of time to sow the seeds, and the Tau happened upon the world before the big bugs could get there. Then as the campaign goes on, the Nids accrue more and more biomass allowing them to get bigger and badder monsters, while the Tau step up their forces not wanting the Nids to take that planet then come for theirs.

IIRC, don't the HoR Kill Team rules say that the rules are the same, except for what the rules themselves change? So DG would still have VotLW, Fearless, Relentless, and FnP, but HoR might change exactly what those rules do.

HoR had legion bonuses before Traitor's Hate, and I don't believe any changes have been made since the latter came out. In the current CSM sheet I believe that only the Black Legion gets free VotLW on its marines.

You could do a zoanthrope, 2 hive guard and 10 termagants or something.

What's a good list for Deathwatch? I've been debating between running 9 dudes or a rhino with some dudes in it

no wait, that's two elites

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to scrounge up enough genestealers for that.

I did pick up some Hive Guard lately, so that might actually work out well.

I think the main thing I need to do is just work on fluffing out the fleet's initial invasion plans with smaller organisms.

Traitor Legions, you mean. And I guess then it just comes down to which legion bonuses you and your opponent agree to. Seems like either "works".

Yeah. Given HoR is already in the realm of internet fan rules I think most people will be happy with some wiggle room.

HoR generally does its own thing, but defers to new material and models itself after official releases. Its Harlequin Codex is currently taking after the most recent one.

It's likely the CSM team is busy reformatting and rebuilding the Traitor Legion rules to better fit the released Traitor Legion supplement, although some of the Legion's staple rules are problematic to work with in Kill Team, like Alpha Legion's free Cultist refills and Iron Warrior's Obliterator troops. Also consider Word Bearers who have more reliable summons, something that is usually barred in HoR, how would you work them in without them getting the short end of the stick?

Raveners are another option for larger bugs. The problem of course is synapse, since for some fucking reason GW didn't feel the need to give tyranids an exemption.

Not him, but I'd think AL infiltrate and IW Havocs would more than make up for it. Word Bearers though, that's a bit of a toss up. Maybe something to do with mutations?

Word Bearers in HoR could take Possessed as Core, not that anyone would really want to.

Possessed just need to be better overall for that option to be tempting.

I think Raveners are my best option. I think there's an option to make them core, so I can go heavy on those and back them up with a Zoan and some hive guard.

May need to cut some of that out for extra synapse like you said, but I think it'll tide me over until we get to higher points where MCs can come in.

Lawlsy high risk high reward list

Damned Legionnaires x5
-MM
MM has sharp shooter
FNP on one
Dirty fighter

Every shot they have ignores cover because of flaming projectile rule

MM can move and shoot at full BS

All have a 3++

Some times it works, some times it does not.

How do you feel about custom miniatures and rules for games? Would you only every proxy them as existing models, customize and try to balance their rules, or just make a bunch of strange miniatures for game encounters as NPC creatures or boons to one team or another?

I'd lean towards campaign encounters. Maybe a Mechanicus team goes heretical and dabbles in sarcosan wave technology, pitting their opponent against a tide of zombies rather than a team, or maybe a CSM team takes after Fabius Bile and makes their own abomination that runs rampant. Maybe there's native flora and fauna that'll fuck up the unwary, or maybe it's exactly the target of the mission for destruction or capture.

I just got into Kill-Team with my roommate and we're building lists. I'm on a budget so I decided to do a LotD list at 200.

1 Legionnaire Sargent
-Storm Bolter
-Chainsword
6 Legionnaries
-Plasma Cannon

I plan to give the sarge reaping volley and the Plasma Cannon guy will probably be indomitable. My main attraction to the list is that I only have to build 7 dudes, but I'm worried when my roommate will be able to figure out that I can't Overwatch

that's blanchistu ?

I don't know. Certainly looks inspired by him. Looks like a take on the Lathe World Murder-Servitors from the description.

Definitely the sort of thing for a campaign/with a regulare group. For standard games I'd be happy with it Counting As something.

Dude that sounds awesome.

The only thing I attempted to lend some story telling to was this...

>Your team discovers an underground labyrinth
>Scout teams were sent in, but all contact has been lost.
>Find out what happened to them and if there are any hostiles, destroy them.
>6 tokens on the map that give special things to your squad: additional reinforcements or respawn of previously lost troops.
>NPC CSM guard these tokens in varying degrees of groups
>SM and Tau start on either side.

I went with a semi fluffy Tau kill team and tried using pathfinders. With no cover I saw the error of my ways. My brother's SM dispatched the CSM far more efficiently then I could manage. He breached my half of the labyrinth before I had completely taken out all of the CSM. From that point on he had the initiative as I desperately tried to avoid his assault marines and wither them down with long range fire.

I lost but it was really fun. We got down to 3 troops each, but LD checks lost me 2 of those. One Stealthsuit was locked in close combat with a SM for 3 turns before being violently stabbed by 2 assault marines jumping into the fray.

NPC missions sound like a lot of fun desu, I think I could try adding in a few missions of that at certain checkpoints.

And yeah, LD is really important. The Skitarii player flogs out 20pts for the Omniscient Mask on his Alpha every game after he lost a quarter of his team to Leadership last game.

I like the idea of including NPCs in a mission. Adds another layer to trying to take objectives if you've got to fight off some guys on it first.

Kill Team is so small that there's absolutely no problem keeping track of who's who. A converter worth his salt would also find a clear way to distinguish his upgrades, and there's no shame in clarifying repeatedly during a battle.

I'm comfortable with opponents basing their units on existing rules and extrapolating from there. I'd let custom rules slip if they make sense, but I'd probably ask for an equal leeway in game terms.

After you've played games against Grey plastic armless Knights and half-hull wave serpent spam, you'll be very glad to fight someone who puts the smallest shred of originality into their work.

Yeah, I need something like that.

I'm gonna polay with NPCs some more in later games. Or more bodies. Played a game with 11 drones and 5 strikers and shit my bros SM this death and when he tried to go for the objective I jumped all my drones in a line so he'd have to fight them to get through. It was fun.

Been thinking of building murder-servitors based on that kitbash to fluff out my own Skitarii Kill Team.

Normally, they once painted to my liking look very regal in white cloaks and black armor, hemmed and trimmed with white. But when they're backed into a corner or really angered, they unleash horrors of their own twisted and vindictive imagining onto their unfortunate aggressors.

They'd either be a bizarre units made as terror weapons and cannon fodder in offensive missions, or found stalking territory the AdMech control during defensive missions, infesting installation or ship corridors and dense terrain.

Would you start with kataphrons? What kind of stuff would you add?

That sounds awesome. I would like to have those just sprinked in a space hulk-esque KT with hidden horrors

Starting a Death Korps of Krieg Kill team.

Any recommendations? Should I roll with their own rules or just make them normal Imperial Guard?

Whats a good way to deal with 3 nurgle bikers, a chaos spacemarine and 10 cultists led by a nurgle chaos champ in terminator armor? Im running a deathwatch kill team with allied inquisition. Ive got a Sargeant with a power axe and plasma pistol, apothecary with a bolter, a standard deathwatch vet, and a vet with an infernus heavy bolter. My allies are an ordo xenos inquisitor in power armor with a force sword and bolt pistol and 9 acolytes (1 died in our campaign. This will be our 2nd game)

But killteam rules prohibit 2+save...

Sorry, I forgot to specify that it's Heralds of Ruin kill team

Nah, I'd run like the pics have them, WHFB ghoul bodies, Infiltrator/Ruststalker legs, plus arms and robot bits. Come to think of it they could just be proxy Ruststalkers for sticklers.

That's the plan for some scenarios. Space-hulk infestation for corridor patrol, or possibly as an offensive line to run up the board against defenders with barricades: cannon fodder to get the Skitarii proper in close enough to shoot them.

Well, Nurgle Bikers are hard to deal with unless you can park some guys at a vantage point and cut them down from where they can't reach you. You'll want high power weapons with good AP, so Plasma and Melta. Also Grav if you must be a shitter, because that fucks up 2+ and 3+ something fierce. The Cultists can be a problem in groups, so just cut those fuckers down with anything not focused on taking out the heavies.

Their own rules are pretty good. This HoR or GW, because I'm not sure GW would allow Forge World units. Standard IG work well as well.

Anyway, get someone who can bark orders and fill it with foot-sloggers backed by heavy weapons teams for a fluffy build. I recommend Commissar Leader for no other reason than DKK has some great Commissar models.

Thanks for the info bro. I play mostly GW but I've begun to dabble in HoR to help expand the gameplay a bit more with my friends.

I really like HoR, but you're going to miss each of your dudes being an individual target. On the other hand, individually moving 25-30 models a turn must be maddening.

Lol it is. My buddy plays imperial guard and ran a unit of penal troops. He had like 40 models on the table.

It got outrageous pretty quick.

ironsleet.com/
Have a blog for inspiration. It feels like a bunch of fa/tg/uys are jumping on the Blanchitsu train now after The Pilgrym featured in WD.

You say that like it's a bad thing. A lot of the Imperium stuff coming out these days feels too clean and stale, and GW seems to like using pictures of miniatures over illustrations. Adeptus Mechanicus stuff keeps it weird, at least. It'll be interesting to see Cawl painted up in a Blanchesq colour scheme.

And man, even the unpainted conversions on that site are great.

Didn't mean it as a bad thing, it's bloody great. Conversions are one of the great joys in this hobby.

Hey anons, I want to bring I Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt in my HoR Kill Team.
I'm reading my is copy of Chapter Approved and he has no established cost because the Tanith 1st command staff HQ automatically includes Gaunt, Corbet, Dorden, Milo and Larkin.

My question to you is, how would you cost Gaunt to keep him a fair entry into the Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum Kill Team list.
I was thinking 60pts.
Pic related.

How does he compare to the standard Commissar, both in terms of stats and rules? Might be easier to generate a Commissar that's as close to him as possible and then adjust pts depending on what Gaunt has over it/lacks.

His stat line, equipment and loadout is pretty significantly better than the average Commissar. The main difference being, a regular commissar has access to carapace armour. This was countered in the Tanith 1st by having Dorden in the command staff which let you use his medic packs feel no pain on the first and second failed armour saves.

What gun do I equip killakan with if I'm mainly fighting marines?

That's a tough call then. I wouldn't have any complaints if you opponent wanted to field him for 60pts. A regular Commissar with a power sword is 40pts, and 20pts feels alright for the boosted stats and trade of Summary Execution for heroism antics.

He's 75pts in my 3e Guard codex, but I honestly don't know if he's worth that much.

I forgot to mention that the Gaunt in this dex is almost exactly the same, but he's fearless.

That was exactly my reasoning. I might eventually try the ghosts in a Chaffers Last Chancers sort of Kill Team. Stats and skills are on pages 13 - 19, I just couldn't be bothered taking more pictures.
cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/gaming_and_diversion/Warhammer_40K_Collection/Warhammer 40k - Codex - Chapter Approved 2003.pdf

Yeah his 3.5 entry is 75 points, but that includes Fearless and he can't be given additional equipment, whereas all leaders in HoR have access to the armoury.
Honestly, I think 60pts is jsut right.

Rokkit Launchas are a spitting laugh, no one ever expects Orks to shoot straight.

Kick the other player in the balls. Repeatedly.

I should have asked question in a more detailed way: rokkit launchers or kustom mega cannons

If it's GW killteam, you're paying more for an AP2 you don't need and you get the risk of Gets Hot.
I'm not an authoriy on HoR though, so I can't help you there.

Quick question lads, former player here. Finished up around 5e. I have a friend who really wants to get into Kill Team and I had a few questions if I am to join him.

1st, HoR looks very nice from what I've browsed so far. Does it have a fairly supportive community? Are there many purists who won't play HoR?

2nd, I don't know what they've done to stats in HoR/Vanilla KT, or what changes have come in recent codexes -- are Imperial Assasins able to be fielded (Vindicare, etc)? They're some of my favorite models so I'm very curious.

Thirdly, armor. I recall the older rulset had a total armor limit of 33 (when you add the sides up). Is this still the case?

Thanks guys!

Dunno about assassins in GW KT, but HoR has an Officio Assassinorum force list. I don't think they can be bolted onto another faction's list, however.

As for armour, the 33 limit is still there for both versions.

>Death Korps of Krieg Kill team.
Imperial Armour Krieg are lethal. Bring Engineers.

I got majorly fucked by those gas canisters once. He rolled 6/6 and then 6/6 for charge distance. I lost 4 Guardsmen to the canisters and then the 3 died to the Shotguns and the other 3 died to the I10 Charging Kriegers melee. I scored 4 snapshots, but it all pinged off their carapace armour. Life is cruel. Too cruel for me. Fuck Kriegers. Specifically their Enginer Corp.

Any suggestions for alternative Steel Legion troopers?

I think I may have ordered some engineers for fun. I also bought an autocannon, hvy bolter, and grenadier squad.

That sounds particularly nasty. I'll try them out and are how I like it.

Victoria miniatures or madrobotminiatures

Both have greatcoat minis and gasmasks, although madrobot gasmasks look more like the steel legions.

Both are a bit pricey.

There is a large Facebook group of Heralds of Ruin, plus lots of small subgroups for the development of the different factions.

As the other user said, you have the assassinorum list, which I believe makes assassins less powerful (before upgrades) while at the same time reducing their points cost, allowing you to take more than one assassin in the standard 250pt game.

If this weren't good enough, you can always use the models as some funky dude from the Rogue Trader/Inquisition/Renegades lists

>4-way free for all king-of-the-hill styled game
>IG, Eldar, Tau and another IG
>Bring 2 vet squads with Carapace and toys
>Leader gets murdered by SMS Tau bullshit
>Get a handful of lads onto the capture zone
>Fellow IG player hoses most of them with a Chimera Flamer
>Burst his Chimera with a Heavy Bolter + Plasma specialist in revenge
>Break tests on my turn
>Every special weapon and Heavy Bolter flees, left with Plasma gunner and a handful of lasguns
>Plasma overheats twice, then flees
You can't make this shit up.

AV is specifically for Walkers, which are included in the KT Codices and generally limited to a total of AV 33.

However if you're playing with the transport rules then transport armor can total up to AV 34. Drop Pods are a noted exception and can be taken despite being a total of AV 36.

Never played 40k properly before. Picked up Skitarii codex a while back because I wanted to try it out and want to paint a nice Skitarii force.
A friend of mine is running a kill team campaign at my local store, if I took a unit of infiltrators would this be a good, cheap way to get a feel for the rules and how I want to play 40k?

How's this as a Dark Eldar KT?

Kriegers are tough as nails bastards. It's easy to mock guardsmen, but when they get good rolls they will mess you up.

I think it's a good starting point to get into the hobby for sure. It'll help get you a feel for the rules before taking the knot.

I don't even play the fucking game yet and I get that joke. 40kgeneral has ruined me.

So Just starting warhammer 40k and Just starting kill team tomorrow.

Currently have a painted Deldar force and wanted to go with 5 trueborn with 2 blasters and a upgraded decon on a venom and 3 reavers which total to 200 points.

Is this good enough? or should I go with more warriors, I also have scourges a raider and a archon.

Good amount of bodies and a skimmer to harass. Seems legit to me.

Best way to find out is by playing a game!

Yeah they are. I have wanted them since they first came out but I am now finally at a point in my life where I can afford them (a KT at least). Pretty fucking excited.

>one wrong shot from exploding all your kill team dreams

Its putting all your eggs in one basic, I mean its a Jinking shooty basket with a dark lance on it but still.

Also I would take the dark lance off the ship and instead equip the squad with two blasters.

They are a bit overly pricey. It might be worth looking into finding a chinaman.