EDH/Commander General

STANDING HERE I REALIZE edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread topic: What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder, and what's your biggest weakness?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gonti-bling-bling/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whose-spell-is-it-anyway/
blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/cr708/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rosheen-requires-fireballs-and-hydras/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Impactful cards in kaervek that don't cost a goriilion mana and arent artifact ramp? Trying to cut down on the curve

Scab Clan Berserker, Chandra Torch of Defiance and Pain Magnification

gA my nigga is you around? I got a rules question for ya':

Say Bound//Determined has cascade for whatever reason (Yidris, for example). If I cast Determined, the UG cost half, the cascade ability of the card will look for a card that costs 1 or less ou 5 or less because of Bound's 3BG cost? And why?

>Greatest Strength
Pushing the limits of my decks to the utmost. Our playgroup tries to stop arms-racing by imposing restrictions on ourselves when we make new decks (Like creatures only, no creatures, heavy focus on cantrips, high CMC), whenever I come up with a new theme or idea, it's always stronger than people expect.

>Biggest weakness
Some might disagree on whether it's a weakness, but I'm very competetive. Related to that, my biggest weakness is probably how salty I can get when people push beyond the what I feel those self-imposed restrictions are (as there are no set resitrctions, overall it mainly boils down to "keep the game fun for everyone" or the dreaded "spirit of the format"). Like getting upset at a guy who always runs Tooth & Nail. I don't play Tooth & Nail, because how fucking boring it is. I've seen a tooth & nail resolve far more than 100 times by now, each one is just as boring.
I'd embrace the completely spike and competetive nature of EDH, but my playgroup dislikes that, so I keep it down and follow the rules.

Backseat piloting my own decks that I borrow out is also a weakness. When someone has a really fucking good play and could possibly win the game there, but don't know the decks interactions well enough to win, I can't resist the urge to point out. Although I feel I've gotten better at this after people told me it was annoying and to quit doing it.

Also, I get REALLY salty when someone ignores threat assessment and just plays to be lulrandom, to kingmake or keep grudges, but that's not a fucking weakness.

I believe that since you cast the UG half, the CMC of the card on the stack is just UG. The other half doesn't actually exist while it's on the stack.

>when someone ignores threat assessment
Objectively the worst thing you can do at a CMDR game. Getting salty at this is normal.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gonti-bling-bling/
I wanted to try build Gonti, how did i do?

I ain't no gA, but if you cast a split card you ignore the other side of the card, so you'll cascade the UG side only looking for a covered mana cost 1 card.

>strength.
Shit man I dunno, I'd say I tend to have a better grasp on the rules than the rest of my playgroup but I think it's mostly because I've been playing longer, funny though, I've gotten a lot better at explaining why things do or don't work within the rule set because of it. (I unfortunately couldn't convince this one guy how a creature could fight another creature if it was pacified despite the flavor fail.)

>weakness
I feel bad that since im the more experienced guy I tend to run more removal than most others (which is any at all in some cases). And while the sliver guy In my group can come out swinging I can't feel good just mercilessly killing his shit even knowing how out of hand it could get because then he just doesn't get to have fun. So sometimes I leave him be a little longer than I should.
annihilator really is a fucking dumb mechanic when you're ahead and the other person is having a bad game, like, it feels shitty to win that way too knowing they don't have enough permanents to delay the inevitable

>What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder, and what's your biggest weakness?
My strength I think is thinking on corner cases and searching for the most secret tech possible. My playgroup always expects the common answers so when I hit them up with weird stuff they're always caught off guard.

I think my weakness is anxiety, if shit starts to hit the fan I misplay like a motherfucker.

If you cascade into a split card where one of the splits has a lower cmc than the cascading spell, you may cast EITHER half. Including the half that costs more of that is the case.

Oh I'm retarded and can't read.
If you get a cascade trigger off casting a split card, you get the cascade from the half you actually cast

My playgroup actually just houseruled out annihilator. It's the only houserule.
Didn't want to ban due to their shuffle clause being so cool.

And if a split card with fuse that has cascade is cast paying the fuse cost? What is the cost the cascade is gonna look for, the sum or any of the halves' costs?

The sum. A fuse card cast with fuse has the mana cost of both halves summed, has both names and has the text from both halves.

>Zedruu
definitely one of the funniest way to have Magic
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whose-spell-is-it-anyway/

Shit, tappedout is out for mantainance, i really wanted feedback on this since i found all the cards. Gonti seems like loads of fun to me, never played it or seen it played though, does anyone have some experience with or against him?

>Strength as deck builder
I think I'm actually really good at assessing my local meta and how to answer it. In any format, I've always been able to call the meta and spike it. Especially in Standard.
>Weakness
Lands. Never enough lands.
>Strength as a player
I take my time and pay attention to what I'm doing
>Weakness
Honestly, I want a fair/fun game of magic. If someone misses a trigger, I typically let them have it, or even tell them they missed it and then let them have it.

>funnist

It looks at each spell. So flesh and blood fused would cascade off of 6 and 2 for example.

>What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder

Definitely in forming a good mana curve.It is what I pay the closest attention to while I'm building, making sure I have consistent, active plays on every turn of the game. It seems to pay off, because I'm usually the guy that curves out every game and rarely ever get color screwed.

>weakness?
I'm definitely the saltiest person at the table. That's not saying much because my group is pretty chill, but it does stick out.

I'm terrible at sandbagging/playing conservatively too and usually make myself the biggest threat early because I want to play fast and hit hard.

Kek. That's even worse than banning the whole cards, like ignoring parts of a card?
Why do these things come up always in EDHG? Shit's retarded and I have never seen a good set of house rules.

Annihilator is unfun.

My group has never house ruled anything like that. But after shit like that gets played once, and all the fun is taken out, we usually take that shit out on our own

Yeah, I aknowledge how autistic it is.

We just got really tired of someone hitting fast mana or something like sneak attack into an early annihilator completely removing any chance one player had of participating in the game. The eldrazi would get removed before it got to finish the job pretty much always, so it just resulted in one guy having a really miserable time.

So we didn't want that to happen, and usually we'd just take such cards out of our decks, but we still wanted to be able to shuffle our decks into our libraries for free, so we hit this compromise.

It only counts for the eldrazi titans though, stuff like It That Betrays, Artisan of Kozilek and Eldrazi Conscription are fine, as you would be running them in part for the annihilator effect (And annihilator 2 isn't that bad).

We actually also have one more houserule, but it doesn't really affect gameplay.

First player to play a land starts.
It causes people to hurry up in between games, and usually means the first person who died last game gets to start.
Overall it speeds things up.

Post your Doran lists!!!!!

i fucking love this card

>What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder, and what's your biggest weakness?
my decks get exponentially stronger over time but my first draft of a deck is usually beyond awful

From oracle rulings:
>To cast a fused split spell, pay both of its mana costs. While the spell is on the stack, its converted mana cost is the total amount of mana in both costs.
Please do not give people incorrect information if you don't know the rules.

I made a Rashmi deck, put it in there.

It was so fucking awesome I added it to my Oloro deck as a target to cheat out with Academy Rector.

>biggest strength as a player
No matter what the mood is at the table, I always make sure everyone gets along and has a good time. Plenty of stories, jokes, and advice to share. I am probably the 2nd most in-demand person to play with at my LGS.

>biggest weakness
I cant stop ripping apart my decks and turning them into something new after I play them, even if they were more enjoyable or better before.

i want to make a rashmi deck but everytime i try it ends up being way more money than im willing to put into it

plus i have like a billion decks that rely on blue or green and its getting boring

How fun is tasigur as a commander?
Im thinking political reanimator goodstuff but what are some other things that work well?

Ignore me.blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/cr708/

it's not fun at all to play against

What's a good commander for a chaos based deck?

Why do you say that?

This would be a valid argument, but each annihilator card is fuck expensive. You're paying for the effect after all, it's not like you have Awakening zone, which creates the tokens but instead of the normal kind, they have Annihilator 1 in addition.

>Strenghts
Threat assesment, godlike luck

>Weaknesses
Waiting for that one card that makes an incredible combo instead of playing less flashy, more effective cards

Melek. Have fun copying warp world

Obviously Ruhan.

>What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder?
Player: Nothing makes me salty really (except people thinking I'm salty). I love lands destruction/denial and combos so I'd be a hypocrite if I did get salty. I actually enjoy getting blown out by janky shit, my brother popped off "Howl of the horde + Decimate" and I was playing breya, lost everything but it was funny to see it work.

Deckbuilder: Deccently good intuition and card knowledge in general.

>And what's your biggest weakness?
Player: I can mull things over a bit too much sometimes, have been know to spend 3 mins deciding if my combo can go off this turn with new decks.

Deckbuilder: Find it kinda hard to "scale down" decks. Always see what my budget allows and build the most degenerate combo-y shit I can. It's a curse, I want to have friends. Luckily my brother plays "20 counterspells, fuck you" and combos so we usually just end up laughing about it.

I only think it's good in decks that want to cast a spell each turn, ie Rashmi or Vial Smasher. Throwing it in random decks has yielded unexciting results.

CommanderTheory ran the math on it and here's the quote:

"I doubt your opponents are going to skip casting spells on their turn because of this card, so let’s assume it hits on each of your opponents’ turns (and to make things simple, let’s also assume that they’re not casting spells on other players’ turns). They’re probably also running about 40 lands in their deck, so you’ll get .6x cards off this per cycle of turns, where x is how many opponents you have. In a 4-player game, that’s 1.8 nonland cards per turn cycle, although the number of useful cards you generate is probably even lower. For seven mana, I think you can do better."

Basically it's a 7-mana do-nothing but with a commander that benefits from a "first spell each turn" clause it's a great enabler.

Vial Smasher/Thrasios seems like a deccent home for it.

Hell, just pinging for 7 off the cast is cool.

That's not good either. You have people slamming lands on the field before anyone else even decides if they should mulligan

This is because it's still one spell on the stack. If the fuse instead cast two spells instead of a single one with both effects, it would be a different case. But it isn't. To my knowledge it's not possible to cast two spells at the same time.

It's banned in duel for a reason.

>It cost B, impossible to keep off the table
>Just pushes all other control decks out, he is the best control commander, hands down.
>Can just build all reactive spells and ruin the fun for everyone else.

I've built Vial Smasher/Ishai and I'm testing it in there. Even if they kill it at the very least you'll get 7 damage off it and possibly more off whatever you get from it.

On a side note, I've been really digging Vial Smasher as a commander and I'm curious what people are putting together with her. My current plan is basically just Miracles. Like Entreat the Angels off a Miracle of X=5 has a CMC of 13. In one game I killed someone with an Unexpectedly Absent.

Super secret Vial Smasher tech: Tainted Strike. Cast your CMC >=10 spell and in response to the trigger give her infect. With Ishai and I can also randomly one-shot people.

I'm good at deckbuilding and assessing card value. My friends often disagree with my card value assessments, but I'm somewhat vindicated by the fact that my decks tend to do very well in both EDH and draft formats. In fact, the last deck I built accidentally turned out to be way too strong for my group. It didn't have combos, expensive ez-mode staples, early stax or anything like that. It just had so much synergy that basically everything I did had a billion value-synergies to it. I ended up both controlling the board and killing everyone at the same time.

My weakness is my general impatience and overaggressiveness. I'm usually too lazy to pay attention every permanent on the board so my decisions end up being goofy a lot of time because of that. I tend to make a bit too many rash decisions also, I always prioritize a "an acceptable play now" over "really good play turn or two later"

tl;dr:
good decks piloted by a retard

on the bright side, I'm good at abusing the stack to my advantage

Populaity/winrate suggests Kraum.
Thrasios is great; ramps or filters, lets you use mana you hold up.
Ishai, seems kinda fun actually, not tainting your deck with green so that's a plus.

the rest seem eh, Kydele seems good at first but she wants you to cast cheap cantrips and then any big stuff you cast won't ping anyway. The rest don't have any direct reason to play them with him, Maybe Ludevic? But he's kinda bad and way worse than Kraum.

>wake up a few minutes ago, scroll through the last thread to see if anyone wanted any spicy deck help while I was asleep
>some user literally asked if I had autism
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if I did, but no, not a medical diagnosis at least.

How would you build a Kari Zev deck?
Red sac outlets? Pump spells?

i probably wouldn't

if you want to build mono-red and use her, you could probably use grenzo and have a slightly easier time making the deck work

>use grenzo
as the commander i mean

I got a beyond stupid story but its real

>playing yidris against gay greeks and atraxa
>have literally no chance of winning but decide to have some fun and cast cruel entertainment targeting the other players
>atraxa player takes control of greeks and decides his first course of action is to tap all the mana during the upkeep, no cards in hand
>draws into insurrection and says he'll cast it
>everybody tells him he can't since he tapped all his mana during upkeep and it empties between phases
>this guy proceeds to sit and think for 20 minutes about how he wants to control the turn with no options other just play insurrection
>says all I did was make the game complicated and tells me to take the spell back
>I ask him if he sure about it and he says yes
>reset back to before I cast cruel entertainment, target myself and greeks
>cast insurrection and kill atraxa player and greeks kills me on his next turn
>atraxa scoops and says gaining control of other player's turns is bullshit
>refuses to play if I play yidris because of that one card

>strength
Can build not so janky combos and go with the flow of any fluctuation of the board, including MLD

>weakness
I don't feel comfortable with any deck unless it has at minimum 28 creatures

Kek.
I dont think you can just tap the mana for no reason tho. (Correct me if im wrong)

Strengths:
>I can build a wide variety of decks at a mid-high powerlevel, even on a budget
>I've built combo, control, stax, aggro, tempo, and hybrid decks
>I know how to mana fix very effectively, and I can make a rampy deck like no one's business
>I always have balanced decks that draw cards well, have a nice curve, and are generally playable

Weakness
>Red. I do not understand how red works, and it's the colour I've built the least, though I am working on a pretty spicy Feldon deck.
>I can't wrap my head around removal. Obvious options are obvious, but I never know how to balance it with the rest of the deck.
>I LOVE big stupid bullshit. Every deck starts off with 20+ 5 mana cards, and I have to slowly whittle down the stack until I've cherry picked a reasonable selection

>I dont think you can just tap the mana for no reason tho. (Correct me if im wrong)
Oh you absolutely can. Back in the day, there was this thing called "mana burn", where you would take 1 damage for each floating mana in your pool as you changed phases. You can tap down your mana the second after the untap phase, and you can even tap your mana to bluff people out during their turn, but you can't change tapping things down once the phase changes.

You can.

>Story

Is he fucking retarded?

i probably would've said "yeah oops of course i tapped my mana in my main 1 but i forgot to draw so i drew my card after the fact" and then ignored you if you tried to argue

I am very good at not dying and making comeback victories. I've had a friend say it's stressful to face me as the last player because he's never sure he can win.

My biggest weakness is I'm very stubborn and play bad politics because I try to brute force my way to a win.

ok i have a plan for yahenni

>cast yahenni
>cast worldslayer
>equip worldslayer
>sacrifice something and slam someone
>literally fucking everything blows up except yahenni and worldslayer

but then

>main 2 starts
>no mana to unequip worldslayer, nor nothing to equip it to even if that was a possbility
>the next time yahenni swings, he will be kill

>rest of the table ignores you because you broke the rules after blatantly fucking up.

The guy in story seems like he deserved it anyway to be honest, what a crybaby.

My favorite thing to do with mana burn was kill myself as a last act of defiance.

I'm good at making offbeat decks, I choose pretty oddball commanders and try my best to make them good. It takes a while and a lot of testing and tweaking but they usually work out well and I'm one of the better players in my playgroup.

My biggest weakness is that I think too much about tweaking though, if I lose to a card randomly I go through all the ways I can change my deck to beat it. Sometimes it works in my favor, other times I end up tweaking a deck so much that it barely resembles its original iteration and I just take it apart.

>>>rest of the table ignores you because you broke the rules after blatantly fucking up.

if something like that happens in your group then damn son i feel bad for you

>"uhh exchuse me looks like you tapped your creature to the left instead of right, that's a game lossh"

I wish it was a fake story but no this guy is real. He only occasionally plays with us because he likes playing only precon commander decks because they are fair and balanced, but he will also intentionally or not durdle for most games to make a plan and he gets ultra butthurt if anyone swings at him for any reason and even wrathed when no creatures were out because he didn't want discard

The guy misses triggers alot and doesn't read most of his cards before he plays them. He complains if someone else is ahead of everyone else but proceed to do things that only help that particular player out

From the way you say it, it's more like Good decks built and piloted by a Savant autist.

see I top decked a Scarmbleverse with Melek on the field, after those two resolved (I somehow got Melek back) I top decked Warp World

Played off a triple copied Mana Geyser...in a 4 player game.

It took us ~20 minutes to sort out each scramble verse so when I hit them with 2 warp worlds everyone scooped.

Soul of New Phyrexia maybe? Or just use indestructible equipment ala darksteel plate

Blow up worldslayer in response, or bounce it, with your floating mana before you murder everyone with worldslayer.

Scrambleverse looks like hell but Warp World is some next level shit.
I would have scooped at double Scrambleverse if there was a ton of shit to resolve.

yeah uhh let me just cast capsize in monoblack LOL

F-fuck you user. Your plan was silly and I don't want to help anyways.

Sac Worldslayer to Infernal Tribute with the trigger on the stack.

there are a lot of cards that can sac and recur artifacts in black. syndicate trafficer and fortuous find just came out in kaladesh
you don't have to be a big meanie

thats crazy

since when did black start interacting with artifacts??? does maro know??

and dont post that shitty 2 mana enchantment that kills artifacts on upkeep kys

Since Daretti 2.0

but he's a rakdough

Yeah but Rakdos rarely dealt with artifacts as well before, it's a slow shift on colorpie. Just like Polymorph effects in red.

He seems like the type that would call me out for fucking up, from the story, so he gets the same respect.

There's a big difference between something arbitrary like which direction you tap permanents which has no official rule, and tapping all you mana sources and trying to use that mana in another phase without Omnath or Kruphix

Use gatherer you lazy fuck.
I do overkill strategies but i tend to be a glass cannon. I know how to fix my glass cannon aspect but i get too lazy to fix it. One good thing is that I have to be completely stopped because if i lose one piece, i still have more pieces to win

Strengths/weakness?

Not really experienced as a deckbuilder, I've only done two. First one was a clunky train wreck, and the second one is decent enough albeit with alot of input from my one friend. I do think I have a good eye for certain card combos or finding obscure cards and putting them to food use.

As a player, I generally suck at shuffling cards, and I'm not exactly good at the reading people's intentions but I can read the field. I might be super salty but maybe it's because my playgroup involves a broken AF Narset deck, a Xur the Enchanter that fucks with everyone, aND a guy with a Derevi deck that loves grinding shit to a halt with Meekstone and Winter orb. I know you can't win all the time but it'd be nice to actually win once.

Aside from that, what cards from Aether revolt are people liking so far? I'm really interested in using that red mythic exile sorcery in Angry Omnath. Good for offensive and defensive play

>What's your biggest strength as a player/deckbuilder

Since I am the "most blue" player and probably the most autistic (maybe those go hand in hand) I have good threat assessment with well tuned decks even with similar budgets.

>What's your biggest weakness?

Backseat gaming, some of the players in my group make silly mistakes, miss triggers and play too passively (with the wrong kind of decks). This leads to me giving suggestions like "Hey its turn 2 and you are the only one with a creature, why not swing" and then taking three damage for suggesting it.

I know this is a terrible habit

Help me out with my Rosheen Meaderer deck guys. Am I missing anything?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rosheen-requires-fireballs-and-hydras/

>Playing Zendikar standard with friend
>He's playing landfall aggro, I'm on Jeskai Land combo
>pumps a guy once, another pump, another one, another one
>"Dude you've played this deck before are you sure you wanna do that?"
>just looks annoyed and swings
>Valourous stance his guy
>He loses and leaves in a huff

Am I autistic, or is he just a bad sport?

Especially in that scenario he is a bad sport.

Sure you could have been joking that you had the response but still he probably couldve played safer.

Rings of Brighthearth and Bassalt Monolith to put infinite mana into an X spell (or your Helix Pinnacle)

Overall it looks fun for a casual environment.

Do you have a list for sharuum?

I'm actually typing one up now, I may post it in the next thread once its done.

A heads up, it has the potential to be good, but it isn't a fully optimized deck. I literally have no cards in it that don't interact with artifacts, and I avoided putting in a lot of common combos. Still, it isn't bad and if you can get an engine going you basically take over the game while quoting Archenemy flavor text which is a plus.

That one fireball with buyback, maybe Wort to duplicate fireballs.

I like idea to include wort.

I think there may be some other X spells that summon tokens as well as XX colorless creatures (and maybe some other XG/R) that dies and make little creatures as well. That would make something like ashnod's altar great for pumping up the next X spell.

Chord of Calling if you don't have it.

Also a better landbase.

Gelatinous Genesis and Wurmcalling are great in Sasaya, he may get some use out of it in his deck. Also maybe Polukranos as removal?

All my other friends play creature decks mainly, they were used to just slamming creatures into each other. They'd get salty playing vs me because I like spells and do shit like focus me in multiplayer. There would be an audiable groan whenever I said "Second, might have a response".

Shitty environment.

I started my friends into magic, and it has been great, but some of them just refuse to use removal properly.
It took me months to convince anyone to even put removal in.
They would play with no boardwipes, spot removal or counterspells.
Now I am trying to teach them they need more than just creature spot removal.
I am proud that they all now have at least two board wipes and 3 kill/counterspells.

Strengths:
>Budget building, and making lists for other people.
>Being able to pilot other decks easily enough.
>Having a variety of options to play.
>Threat assessment at a table.

Weaknesses:
>Tilt very easily.
>5/6 of my current decks have Black in them.
>Can no longer count the amount of times I've scooped to Rest In Peace.
>>One of which was my own.