Could a Good person and an Evil person be friends?

Could a Good person and an Evil person be friends?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rAn1KCbgeuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

Easily. "Evil" doesn't mean you can't care about anyone else, just that you're willing to do "evil" things, possibly even for the benefit of someone else.

Have you never seen a comedy about wacky, mismatched spouses/room-mates/siblings/whatever where one is a nice person and the other is a complete asshole, but they still love each other anyway?

My lawful evil aberrant blooded sorceress was best friend with a lawful good ex=city guard and buddies with a neutral good bard.

She knew they would not approve of her being blatant about her ruthless pragmatism in a city full of thieves, pirates, blackgards, and generally unpleasaant people. So she made sure she covered their nice, good hearted asses in the background, doing things like liquefying the assassin that tried to kill her friends and sending him to the people who hired him in a barrel with a note telling them to knock it the fuck off or else.

She was the terrible, horrifying shadow in the background that scared the average badguys away from the nice guys trying to save the world.

Not if the good person knows.
Good can be friends with neutral, but someone who is evil is just too much.

They can be cordial and even work together, but their philosophies are too different for them to really be friends, and a good person really would be stressed to even tolerate the evil person.

It sounds more like neutral, if you ask me.

Saladin and Richard proves this is possible

Is Cestree evil? She is friends with Ribbon, isn't she?

In the "Dragonslance' Kitiara and Strum were friends before circumstances landed them on different sides in a war.

Neutral people don't go around casting bleed on people the lawful good person has stabilized to make sure they die quietly so they won't be a threat later.

>Saladin and Richard
Who was the good one, though?

Which is the good one there?

>implying it's not Ribbon who's evil

Obviously Saladin as he was defending against a horde of backwards zealots and bringing education and taxes to places he conquered.

Yea, when the Evil person is using the Good person to achieve their goals

There's the Terry Pratchett's book good omens that's about an angel and devil that are friends

Xavier and magneto come to mind as the quintessential comic example.

Fry and Bender.

>Fry and Bender is good and evil.
>Not neutral and chaotic neutral.

Bender is straight up chaotic evil

Neil Gaiman always just subverts the idea of good and evil, rather than actually exploring it.

>Bend"I just want to kill all human"er
>not evil
You know even in D&D it's not because a person doesn't spend all its time murderaping people and kicking puppies that he isn't evil.

That's because Gaiman focuses more on characters and their motivations rather than Good versus Evil.

Fry isn't neutral, he's a dumb, lazy good guy.

That's pretty pragmatic neutral.

If you do evil things for pragmatic reasons is it still not evil?

You mean it's because his personal philosophy is limp-wristed, and he comes from the writing school of "destroying expectations is a suitable substitute for genuine creativity."

No knock against Pratchett though. He at least had a sense of humor.

Neutral would have been just cutting their throats blatantly and not caring about getting caught.

Evil was doing it in ways specifically to avoid getting caught.

Also, neutral people don't melt people into sludge and mail them to other people as threats. That's too much work.

>Neutral would have been just cutting their throats blatantly
lel, neutral stupid, ok.

>Evil was doing it in ways specifically to avoid getting caught
Because she has a buddy, who gets upset when they learn about kills and because the town is ridden with all sorts of criminals

>Also, neutral people don't melt people into sludge and mail them to other people as threats.
So what she was supposed to do? Write a nice letter asking assasins to stop coming after them?

Sometimes you have to do nasty stuff to get things done.

>lel, neutral stupid, ok.
Stupid neutral, as dumb chaotic neutral, saying just in case.

>So what she was supposed to do? Write a nice letter asking assasins to stop coming after them?
Neutral would not be worrying about it until they show up and killing them then, not going out of their way to terrorize them.

Isn't it better to just scare off the fuckers instead to risk life fighting them?

Children can be damn evil.
Egoistic, demanding, unable to empathise with others and willing to cause damage to whoever is in the way of what it is they want at the moment - all without ever stopping to even question their morals.
I could picture an evil character with this kind of thinking who gets fond of a good character, yearning for their approval.

Or perhaps the evil character is indeed a manipulative schemer and also thinks of himself as such. In that case, he might use the good character for a plan, but when the time comea to stab him in the back, he makes up excuses to keep him around.

From the other side, perhaps the good character wants to show the bad one a way out of the vicious cycle he is caught in - at least from their perspective.

Lastly, they could get to know each other under circumstances that don't call for moral decisions, so that they can bond before realizing the other's views.

They might never show up.

Sure they can. Right until the Evil one kills all their friends and rapes the Good one's girlfriend.

You should watch Jekyll, the BBC series. It's beautiful.

Funny to see this thread, I just today learned about Daryl Davis. He's a black musician who makes a point of making real friendships with KKK members. He'd even help them out and attend rallies, despite not supporting the ideologies behind them.

youtu.be/rAn1KCbgeuY

The Chaotic Evil Barbarian in my party happily robs, rapes, and murders if left to his own devices, but considers the party to be like family to him and would do anything for them, including the Paladin that he tries extra hard to play Good around.

Evil characters do not need to be one dimensional or lack feelings.

>might
keyword

Can you be Evil without ever doing anything evil? Can you be Good without ever doing anything god?

The line between mortal enemies and best friends blurs after a while.

Well I have a die-hard capitalist and a communist in my gaming group and they are good friends with each other.

Depends on how you define Good and Evil alignments. If you go by this one, for example, then I'd say that being Evil without doing anything evil would be possible.

Well my NG Warder and the NE Machine Smith in my PF game are best friends. Machine Smith is more than willing to step on whoever is in her way in the name of scientific advancement but is but has an odd kind streak that my Warder noticed and has actively tried to be a somewhat decent moral compass to try and push her in that direction.

Cestree is a beacon of morality.

>evil
>friends
Greatness have no friends. Only enemies.

A Good person can easily be friends with an Evil person, because being able to show concern and/or affection for someone who doesn't deserve it is a common Good trait. They'd need to make some effort to mitigate their evil or reform them in order to still deserve the title of Good, but they don't need to succeed. You don't need to be achieving some ideal perfect goodness in all your actions in order to still be overall Good. Not all Evil people are necessarily doing hugely evil things all the time, either, or demonstrating their Evil publicly. Most Evil people are sensible enough to hide said Evil, in non-Evil societies.

Evil people being friends with Good people depends on how you're defining Evil. If it's one of those stupid definitions where only all-consuming perfect sociopathic selfishness counts as Evil, then no, those kinds of people can only see other people as tools at best. If you use a non-stupid definition where Evil people still have feelings and affections and so on, then they can have friends and those friends can be Good. In fact, Evil people are more likely to be friends with Good people, the same way that Neutral people are more likely to be friends with Good people. Good people make good friends! Who doesn't want to be friends with a Good person?

10/10 bait

Don't forget slavery! Of course during those times who didn't dabble in a little slavery

Go to bed, Joker.

That's evil and neutral. You don't go around killing kids and calling yourself good.

I run an Evil character in a campaign of mostly neutral - good characters. When he first met them he gave them his usual asshole schtick; they wanted a cart ride through a dangerous part of the country, and he had a cart, so he made them overpay a fair amount to get on board.

When they did, though, and shit started happening to them on the way, he appreciated that they helped to defend the only thing he owned in the world; when they were about half way to their destination, he offered to continue carrying them around for much less than he had been making them pay.

Of course, he also did a bunch of shady business things in the background when no one was looking, but he was willing to part with a little silver to keep those bastards around. They didn't get in the way of what he did for a living, and they did a pretty good job of keeping their word.