Has there ever been a roleplaying game really set in Korea? Modern? Ancient? Even future?

Has there ever been a roleplaying game really set in Korea? Modern? Ancient? Even future?

Suddenly occurred to me that it's a pretty interesting culture that somehow always seems to get left in the media shadow of the Japanese.

No. And there won't be for a long time because nobody gives a shit about old stories of Korea whilst pic related is more morbidly fascinating.

You could still have games about that. From what I understand there's a lot of fascinating espionage and even small scale military action that's happening all the time between the Koreas. It seems like such rich ground for games, yet somehow it's always missed.

You dun goofed, OP. Everyone knows a troll thread about Korea has to start with a pic of a somewhat attractive woman so that everyone can argue about how much plastic surgery she got.

I had an idea a couple years ago for a near-future game set in the ruins of post-Pyongyang.

>Plastic surgery is bad
>Make-up is not
Explain this shit. At least with a plastic barbie doll, you don't stare death itself in the face the next morning.

I'm not saying I approve of plastic surgery, I'm just pointing out the hypocritical elephant in the room.

Huh, good point. Looks like when I finally d9 get the run sprawl, I'll set the fucked in Seoul. That place is basically a Gibson city already anyway.

Korea seems like a bland mesh of Japan and China and somehow a little more dehumanizing than both, for different reasons, to us westerners.

The common argument is that makeup isn't permanent. Both can be harmful to your body but plastic surgery is seen as "doing permanent harm", whereas makeup (assuming nothing went horribly wrong and you're not putting on some kind of awful Chinese lead-based nightmare) will, at worst, damage your health unnoticeably over decades. Which may sound bad when you say it like that, but remember: people eat red meat daily, drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes.

Magicians.

I don't know anything about Korea. I mean, not nearly as much as I feel I would have to be able to run a game there. I think that's the case for many people. Japanese media has become so omnipresent that even though 90% of what Westerners think they know is laughably off, the remaining 10% still consist of enough information to at least make believe that you're doing right. Less so with China, but we have enough of an idea to at least set a game there.

Korea? All most people have on ancient Korea is at best some vague picture (likely ink on paper) of an effeminate mounted archer, all they have on it before the 1990's is that "the war before Vietnam" happened there and all they have after that is "Like Japan but with funnier names".

>"Like Japan but with funnier names".
That's pretty much it.

Korean mythology is made of stuff like fox demons in the shape of a human who pulls out cow guts from cow anuses to survive because she's in love with a human and doesn't want to eat them but then of course gets discovered and eats them

t. not Korean

Sounds like run of the mill East Asian fare

>Plastic surgery is bad
>Make-up is not
>Explain this shit.

"putting colored powder on your face" is not the same as "having unnecessary invasive surgery performed on your body".

You would be able to understand this if you weren't autistic and could comprehend that reality is made up of subtle gradients and cannot simply be correlated into a series of yes/no statements.

I'm sure there's some pseudoscientific religious movement out there that'll argue you that.

Not for video games.
The devs who tried quickly stopped after getting a legal letter.

Koreans used to have culture, but then it got progressively destroyed by the Chinese in 300 AD, and the Japanese in 1500 AD, the Chinese AGAIN in 1600 AD, the Japanese yet again in 1940 AD, and America to the modern day.

>America
Yeah, sorry about all that first world medicine and whatnot. Shouldn't have been such imperialistic jerks and left them to their rice paddies.

So let me get this straight: one is a permanent change to your looks, the other is temporary deception... and the temporary deception is the GOOD one?

>"putting colored powder on your face" is not the same as "having unnecessary invasive surgery performed on your body".
Yeah, my point exactly.

It must be so hard living with autism.

>>Plastic surgery is bad
>>Make-up is not

Plastic surgery is bad when it LOOKS bad, or when you're tearing up uniqueness for something generic and boring.
Like with makeup; applying it with a trowel is bad. So is generically whitefacing yourself into a barbie doll, or orange fake tan. But makeup that doesn't look obvious, and highlights rather than just conceals? That's good.

The fartest I ever got was during worldbuilding. A seafaring nation priding itself on their turtleships. Haven´t worked further because I simply can´t find anything unique that would put it apart from it´s neighbors.

Korea has been repeatedly fucked by other nations and is now just an amalgamation of China, Japan and the nice areas of the US

They drink a fuckton tho

Real legit gook here.

ask me anything

t. Korean

In what core ways does Korean mythology differ from Chinese mythology.

I know Shamanism is more prominent but that's it.

Nobody knows the details, because it's not well-documented, but the only real mythology that can be considered exclusive to the Koreans is the story of Dangun. It's more of an oral tale passed down to explain the origin of their nationality. There are Chinese "historical epics" that are tangentially related to Korea, like the story of Jumong. But, Jumong can't be considered exclusively Korean. He would be more of a defector of the Chinese Han because he sympathized with the Chosun people.

Shamanism is the rooted native traditional religion of the Chosun people. I guess this is a good time to explain what "Chosun" is. Chosun is the name of the original indigenous people that lived across Manchura and the Korean peninsula. They were conquered by Han Dynasty China, and pretty much accepted nearly all of their cultural customs and norms, which wasn't difficult because the people of that region were similar in the most fundamental ways, anyway. They were "culturally enriched" in a literal sense. The original Chosun people were not known to have a writing system before the introduction of Han Chinese characters.

They always had a sense of national identity, as can be seen with the oral tale of Dangun, so they seceded when the Han empire began to collapse. The nation then formed was called Gogeuryo, but this kingdom would split into three other kingdoms, and they would war with each other for a couple of centuries. They unified under King Sejong, and most of Korea's culture remained unchanged since then to 1950, which is about a thousand years. One thing to note is that Korea, despite literally inventing their own writing system, did not produce epic myths the size of the Illiad. Their cultural norms simply didn't encourage it. Most of their traditional tales were oral.

I think I saw an interesting documentary on Korean Shamanism on youtube..

The only interesting thing I ever came across was someone talking about how during the war the Japanese apparently took the "prophecy" that a Korean would be born who would destroy their occupation or something so seriously that they shoved giant metal pins into some mountain.

Now I can't verify any of that... But it makes for spooky magical consequences which is neat.