/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

OP completed the first draft of his custom set edition! (Post WIP card sets and give others feedback about their projects, etc.)

To make cards online, register for free here:
mtg.design/
or download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Last thread died before I could finish up my reply.

I think this is the single most ambitious project I've ever undertake and even though I'm nowhere near finished, I'm quite glad I made it this far.

Choosing art for Starfire. Top left is the original art. It's a small thing, but I'd really like to pick good art for the finished card. Any and all feedback welcome.

Probably would've been better to wait until later when most people would be out of class. Well, I'll work on giving you feedback. Did you update the ones I already went over?

>Did you update the ones I already went over?

I believe I did. If I missed any, just let me know. I found your feedback really helped with the creative process this last time, and I feel like it helped me tighten up the flavor a bit too.

As for Starfire, I want to say the original art is the best.

>Second just looks too toony
>Third looks like bad CGI and has too much of an emphasis on skin to be tasteful
>Four is solid, but I don't like it as much as the original
>Five is too busy, it distracts from the rest of the card and is kind of hard to pick out what's happening besides it being an action shot
>Six, eight, and ten are the next best things to me. If you changed the art, I'd say go with one of these.
>Seven and nine just feel... too sideways, I guess? Nine is much worse with it, but it draws your eye in a weird way.

Any cards I don't comment on seem just fine from my opinion, OR they're the same cards I commented on before, in which case my earlier feedback still applies.

>CA07
I think the effect is interesting, but I wouldn't put it at common. I think the body should be a bit worse as well. Maybe 4/3?

>CB01
I don't understand the +1/-1 effect. I think this is just a flavor mismatch.

>CB04
Why Menace as well? I think the pump is good enough. Anyway, for ability words like Landfall and Threshold, you should italicize the word.

>CB05
I don't understand the flavor. Anyway, maybe change it to something like
>Target player sacrifices two creatures and/or planeswalkers.
Or something.

>CB07
Not Black. If you want Black to play with an opponent's cards, steal them from the library, graveyard, or hand.

>CB08
Still not liking how Salvage affects exile.

>CB09
>At the beginning of your upkeep, up to one target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Still feels really odd, like there's too much going on.

>CB11
Why "as"? Just make it an ETB ability. And use
>You draw and card and you lose 1 life
Also, not sure about making this common either.

>CB13
You forgot to denote this as a reprint. Gotta say though, always like seeing this card again.

>CG01
So is Flashback only showing up in certain colors this time? Feels really strange if that's the case.

>CG03
OK, maybe I'm just dumb, but I feel like it would be easier to give you feedback and what you're using in this set if you just lay it all out for me. What colors get what keywords, how are you using hybrid mana, any subthemes present, etc.

>CG04
Hmm, better, but yeah, ETB effects on enchantments still feels strange. If you want, you could always try making basically an altered version of Dash to work for enchantments. But if you do, just tell me and I will give you proper wording to use. Trust me, let me do the wording for you.

>CG05
OK, "color" or "type" use one, not both.

>CG06
Why doesn't this use Unveil? I also still don't understand why you keep giving common creatures both downsides and upsides. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this level, aren't they basically just supposed to be more mana efficient, thus having the downside to balance them out?

>CG07
The Harmony effect feels just so tacked on.

>CG08
Why just Flashback? Why not just any card from your graveyard, to make it more flexible? And why Menace?

>Frankly, I don't think this effect should be at common. Maybe make a slightly worse version of Crop Rotation that allows you to sac a creature or land. And you messed up how Flashback uses non-mana costs. Not that I really think saccing a creature to Flashback as well is a good choice.

>CG12
I'm actually not sure if the Harmony effect would actually be able to work. Also, "predate" doesn't work because that word means "exist or occur at a date earlier than (something).".

>CG13
Why Menace? Why Scry?

>CG14
>CG15
Not sure about these at common.

>CM03
Still doesn't feel GW. Maybe make it a glorified Pacifism? Like
>Whenever enchanted creature attacks or blocks, you may search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Or something.

>CM07
Oh cool. I'd like to see how this performs.

>CM13
"into play" I know that you know this is wrong. I'm just wondering how it got onto one of your cards in the first place.

>CM14
Weird card draw ability, not really buying it in RG.

>CM15
>~ costs 1 less to cast for each Mountain and Forest you control.

>CM20
You should just choose one attach ability, I say the last one, and get rid of the other.

Thanks. Yeah, I think out of all of the new ones, eight probably has the best composition, but I just don't really like the costume design much for that one. Just no flair at all. I'll probably keep looking.

(1/2)

>it would be easier to give you feedback and what you're using in this set if you just lay it all out for me. What colors get what keywords, how are you using hybrid mana, any subthemes present, etc.

Alright, the basic premise that I went in with was I wanted to explore things that the colors can do, but don't often get to do; White getting counters and affecting spells directly, green caring about instants or non-permanent effects, Red getting to play with straight card advantage and spell fuckery, Black getting stuff that cares about artifacts and noncreature permanents. Blue has enough of the color pie in my opinion, so I didn't feel the need to really explore anything there except on some multi-color cards. From there I decided that I'd heard people complain about the power gaps between commons, uncommons, rares, and mythics so much, that design goal number two was to make every single common feel like it mattered and to not have any card be strictly better than another card. I basically wanted to have the complexity of Time Spiral with a power level close to the Urza's sets. Third design restriction was the mechanics; I wanted each two color combination to have mechanics that very succinctly fit their general flavor together and apart.

W/U got Eureka and Rebound
U/B got Unveil and Delve
B/R got Investigate and Salvage
R/G got Flashback and Evoke
G/W got Harmony and Resonance

Ultimately I feel like some of these are more of a stretch than others and some fit quite well but are hard to balance around. Now that I've completed the muscle of the skeleton I'm going to work on fine-tuning and adjustments.

There is a second, companion set that I have already started working on that focuses on the enemy color pairs and similarly has mechanics for each color pair not already represented. That one is much further behind in development, however.

(2/4)

Onto your feedback:

>I think the effect is interesting, but I wouldn't put it at common. I think the body should be a bit worse as well. Maybe 4/3?
I would like to keep the effect, but I have no qualms about bringing this guy down a notch or two. An earlier version had it exile itself instead of sac, he might go back to that.

>I don't understand the +1/-1 effect. I think this is just a flavor mismatch.
This is one of those where I wanted it to have flexibility over flavor. I'll either change the flavor or make it just -1/-1

>Why Menace as well? I think the pump is good enough. Anyway, for ability words like Landfall and Threshold, you should italicize the word.
Pretty much just because I like Menace. There is Hound of Farbogs from SOI that is very similar I believe, and my general opinion is that Unveil is a little harder to get to do what you want than Delirium is so it being a little better is justified. The lack of italicization is something I have noticed and I will fix here shortly. You'll notice there are a lot that aren't italicized.

>I don't understand the flavor. Anyway, maybe change it to
>>Target player sacrifices two creatures and/or planeswalkers.
Reparations can be made from nearly anything you possess, land, cash, liquid assets, etc. If they're unjust, somebody is basically just stealing from you with the government's authority. Yes, enchantments are a stretch by that logic, but I wanted to give black something that was in flavor that could do it.
I hesitate to mention planeswalkers on a card at common rarity, because as far as I know, that doesn't happen very often if at all.

>Not Black. If you want Black to play with an opponent's cards, steal them from the library, graveyard, or hand.
I have to disagree here, black should certainly be in the colors to occasionally steal things from people, especially if those things are inanimate. I might move the color weight up a/o the CMC, but I'm intent on keeping this for now.

>CM22
I didn't understand what this did at first, but I find the effect very interesting. But as for wording, let's try
>Search your library for a creature card with power equal to the chosen creature card's power and a creature card with toughness equal to the chosen creature card's toughness.
Though I think I'd just have it exile the card from the graveyard as an additional cost.

>CM23
Eh, I don't really like this one. Maybe drop Deathtouch.

>CM24
Eh, not really liking Prowess plus another spell-based pump on top of that.

>CM25
Since it's an instant, I'd just make it
>Target creature deals damage equal to its power to each creature blocking or blocked by it.

>CR03
I'm seriously going to need you to explain how you're using hybrid mana in this set.

>CR06
Not sure on rarity or costs, but I really like this one. And great use on Evoke.

>CR07
Eh, feel like this should have better wording.

>CR08
Why does Salvage have a number? I don't even think it should draw more than one card anyway.

>CR09
???

>CR11
>Whenever ~ enters the battlefield, any opponent may have it fight a creature he or she controls. If no player does, draw two cards
Eh, not really feeling it.

>CR12
I'd rather have it only work when its controller taps it for mana. Though I do like seeing Red land denial.

>CU01
Still not liking Eureka.

>CU03
Skulk? You know Skulk is dead, right?

>CU04
Goblin? And why 1/2? I think the effect otherwise is interesting, though.

>CU05
I feel like it should have a slightly higher base cost since the first effect alone is 1U.

>CU06
>Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.

>CU09
Why not just Scry 2 then draw two?

>CU11
???

>CU13
If it's going to have Rebound, I think it should be at least 1U.

>CW01
Should be uncommon and cost more, going by Kin-Tree Invocation and Miming Slime.

>CW03
Eh, not sure about this. Since it's a White counterspell, I think I'd make it more narrow.

>CW04
Wizards has really cut down on Protection.

(3/5)

>Still not liking how Salvage affects exile.
It's likely going to be changed to just happen from the yard. I thought it over and the exile clause was there specifically because of some earlier design choices that I later scrapped, so why keep such a fuckery of the exile zone around?

>>At the beginning of your upkeep, up to one target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
>Still feels really odd, like there's too much going on.
It's supposed to be a part of a cycle. While I don't agree there's too much going on, persay, I still am not really in love with it. It is likely to be changed at some point so I'm open to suggestions.

>Why "as"? Just make it an ETB ability. And use
>>You draw and card and you lose 1 life
>Also, not sure about making this common either.
Will change the wording. Am open to suggestions as to make this better fit as a common.

>You forgot to denote this as a reprint. Gotta say though, always like seeing this card again.
It's one of my all time flavor faves.

>Hmm, better, but yeah, ETB effects on enchantments still feels strange. If you want, you could always try making basically an altered version of Dash to work for enchantments. But if you do, just tell me and I will give you proper wording to use. Trust me, let me do the wording for you.
I think there's only one or two noncreature permanents with ETB effects used this way, and I'm pretty sure enchantments with ETB effects are totally a thing with precedence. Thank you for the offer though.

>OK, "color" or "type" use one, not both.

Oh shit, yeah. I can't believe I missed the easier wording there.

Continued from (4/5)

>Why doesn't this use Unveil? I also still don't understand why you keep giving common creatures both downsides and upsides. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this level, aren't they basically just supposed to be more mana efficient, thus having the downside to balance them out?
Unveil is U/B specific. It's a cycle of creature's all supposed to be slightly better versions of the blue common every set gets that's a 6/6 that can't attack unless X. So do you think I should take the downside out, or make them better for the mana?

>The Harmony effect feels just so tacked on.
That's fair. I'm going to keep it as is until I can think of something legitimately better though.

>Why just Flashback? Why not just any card from your graveyard, to make it more flexible? And why Menace?
I could do that. And I like menace. I think menace should be more common. Flavorwise? Imagine a wolf's howl and then an ethereal form charging at you, frothing from the mouth.

>>Frankly, I don't think this effect should be at common. Maybe make a slightly worse version of Crop Rotation that allows you to sac a creature or land. And you messed up how Flashback uses non-mana costs. Not that I really think saccing a creature to Flashback as well is a good choice.
Hmm, fair enough. Thanks for the idea.

>I'm actually not sure if the Harmony effect would actually be able to work. Also, "predate" doesn't work because that word means "exist or occur at a date earlier than (something)."'.
I think the Harmony effect could work if the harmony effect was the only part of the card, like, "Harmony -- If X then one-sided fight, if not then fight."
Thanks for the language catch.

>Why Menace? Why Scry?
I really like Menace I guess. Scry is a small but significant reward for doing something and I had a quota of cards utilizing the mechanics to fill.

Continued from (5/5)

>Not sure about these at common.
How about CG14 as a 2/1? Not sure how to make CG15 weaker without upping the mana cost though and I really wanted the one drop here.

>Still doesn't feel GW. Maybe make it a glorified Pacifism? Like
>>Whenever enchanted creature attacks or blocks, you may search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
White does it just fine when the creature is tapped and at instant speed. There is Eyeblight's Ending and Selesnya Charm which are more aggressive than this. It requires that the creature has done something, it's sorcery speed, a permanent, and it is the card type that G/W cares about the most right behind creatures. I'm just having difficulty seeing where the flavor disconnects between us. (I do like the idea though)

>Oh cool. I'd like to see how this performs.
Thanks, I hope it's a sweet spot, but I won't be able to test for a little while, so we'll just have to wait and see.

>"into play" I know that you know this is wrong. I'm just wondering how it got onto one of your cards in the first place.
Straight up mistake. I was thinking of older cards like Nature's Lore and forgot they changed the wording.

>Weird card draw ability, not really buying it in RG.
I'll agree that it's weird, but Hug and Ravings exists. I'm going off of inclusive design with this one, so we might just agree to disagree for a minute unless I can think of something better.

>>~ costs 1 less to cast for each Mountain and Forest you control.
Thanks for the catch.

>You should just choose one attach ability, I say the last one, and get rid of the other.
But then we come back to the problem where it's no longer really blue flavored...

I'm off to work now, but I'll read your feedback and get back to you with my own comments when I get off. Thanks again for taking the time comment CO-user!

>I'm off to work now, but I'll read your feedback and get back to you with my own comments when I get off. Thanks again for taking the time comment CO-user!
No problem. Doing some other stuff right now, I will get done with the rest of your cards. I just hope someone else comes in so I don't have to single-handedly keep the thread alive for hours on end.

any DotArds here?

I was worried this might be too powerful, but orange symbol set fixes everything, right?

rip bone man

I feel like I should buff this one.

last one, probably making more later

Me. I've also tried making a few Dota cards, but gave up after a while. I'll give you feedback after I'm done with the other guy.

You wouldn't be alone if so many regulars weren't MIA.

Yeah. And they probably bugged out since the threads were dying. Still can't believe the last one died at 22 posts.

>2017
>STILL no UB evergreen

I don't think that's the entire story but what do I know.

>CW05
I'd make it 1/1.

>CW06
Weird name, but it seems OK.

>CW07
I'd fit "or a planeswalker you control" into the first option. And why Scry by itself? I could understand if it were in Blue, but not in White.

>CW08
Again, this feels like a weird use of Scry in White.

>CW11
Ah, I see you forgot to get rid of the first 0 even though you've hit double digits. Anyway, again, I'd make the last ability apply to defending player.

>CW12
I'd throw a "then" into the Harmony bit, probably at the beginning, just to make it clear that the tokens can get counters on them as well.

>MA01
Alright, mythics! ...And the first one is a dud. What am I looking at? And why does it have a Red border if it doesn't have Red in its mana cost? Oh, I get it, you can sac the thing to its own ability, and that's why it copies itself. ...Yeah, dud. Sorry, just doesn't do anything for me.

>MA02
You don't have to say "in addition to its other types". And I'd prefer if it didn't convert your Equipment either. Also a dud. Really, this is just a very cheap, better March of the Machines, and mythics should be more than "Like that other card, but cheaper, therefore mythic."

I'll hit the rest later.

>9 mana
that was supposed to be 6, lol

>MB01
Reminds me a lot of, what's it, Trading Posts? 100% Black though, and a big improvement over the two previous mythic. Hmm, I don't entirely know why, but I want to turn this into a Demon.

>MB02
Ah, see, this is why we have mythic. Remember when I said Black doesn't steal permanents? Well, tie flavor to Demons and make it a mythic and it's fine. Could do with some changes though, I feel like it should be more expensive, buff the creature more, and maybe punish you for not sacking a creature.

>MG01
I like the idea, but it probably needs to be changed, mostly so the creature recursion bit isn't broken in halfact.

>MG02
Unsure about this. Could be oppressive. Maybe have it Fight the creature that enters the battlefield so an opponent could kill it with DTouch? Dunno.

>MM01
Ew, never like having multiple ability words on a card. Not really feeling the abilities, it feels kinda scattered.

>MM02
...Does this have any actual use?

>MM03
Ooh, this seems like fun. Good job! Might need adjustments to cost, but it looks pretty much finished otherwise.

>MM04
Bleh. Just feels kinda dull. I say try doing it without Investigate. And maybe try making him mono-Red.

>MM05
Effect is cool, but I'm not seeing why RG. Maybe GU?

>MR01
First, exile reduction is something I don't like. Second, Shroud? On mono-Red? WTF? The rest of the card isn't really Red, it's far more Blue, or even Black. And without a clause to say that you can spend mana to cast the exiled cards as though it were mana of any color (or type) you're going to have a lot of problems if your opponent is using different colors from you.

>MR02
A mono-Red Demon? Why? The name sounds like it belongs to a Human or something anyway. The effect is pretty meh though.

>MU01
Another dull mythic, unfortunately. There's just nothing to read into the abilities, just "bluegoodstuff.jpg" Also, even at 6 CMC, that first ability should either be a +1 that draws two cards or a +2 that draws one card. And even then, that's kinda pushing it.

>MU02
Seems like it could be interesting, but I think I'd like to get a better idea of how it'll actually perform.

>MW01
Seems pretty oppressive. Not sure how to fix that other than making it crazy expensive like Iona.

>MW02
Seems pretty good, though I think the -4 should be changed to an ability that costs less loyalty and does something like
>Target creature can't attack or block until your next turn.
But I'm not sure that fits Ajani.

>RA01-05
Oh, come on, none of these should have the colored frames, why did you use them? Anyway, they seem pretty solid, though I feel like RA01 and RA03 would just absolutely crush the others in terms of playability, since I feel like there effects are just so much better than the other three.

>RB01
Not sure about this. Definitely seems like the mana cost should be bigger. And why is the sac for the activated ability not included in the cost? I could see it if it didn't have the tap in its cost as well, like that Goblin cannon or whatever, but it just feels strange here.

>RB02
Oh come on, you haven't seen Toxic Deluge?
>As an additional cost to cast ~, pay X life.
>Search your library for a card with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Why "Draconic" and not "Demonic"? Anyway, effect is really cool, unsure on mana cost though. Honestly, I'm tempted to put it at B, but that's probably too good.

>RB03
I just don't get this one.

>RB04
Or this one.

>RG01
Jesus, potential +6/+6 with Vigilance, Indie, and Trample? I feel like this should cost a lot more.

>RG02
Why does it have a pump? Evoke... eh, not sure I'm really feeling it here.

>RG03
Not really sure about the cost on this. And I think the third option should be
>or less from your hand onto the battlefield.

>RG04
No comment.

>RL06
How useful is this ability?

>RM01
Another one that feels like it could be oppressive, though a bit less so than the mono-White mythic. Still, keep an eye on it.

>RM02
Seems pretty cool, though why these keywords to these colors?

>RM03
I might be wrong, but I feel like you could just use the Chromatic Lantern ability.

>RM04
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like pump based on spells should include at least Red or Blue.

>RM05
I don't understand this. Why have the downside of exiling your own thing too? Also, you run into danger of creating an endless loop that ends the game in a draw.

>RM08
Let's use the Tempting Offer wording.
>You gain X life and draw X cards. Each opponent may gain X life and draw X cards. For each opponent who does, you gain 2 life and draw two cards.
Not really sure about it though.

>RM09
I don't like having Skulk on this, other than it being dead. Seems too easy.

Back, and I fixed some stuff

Fixed name capitalization. I should've just used CARDNAME.

And here's a new one. If there's any way to make it less frigging verbose while still preserving the effect, please let me know.

Did I word this right? I want the copies to keep the "suicide pact" effect, but I want to prevent them from spawning more than one copy per turn.

HE'S NOT AND ELF
If you think about it, probably Human who is old as fuck. #notanElf

There should be a clause that allows you to have more than one meepo on the field at a time despite being legendary.

>RM10
Name sounds cheesy. I believe the ability should read
>When you cast ~, copy it for each instant and sorcery card exiled with its delve ability. You may choose new targets for the copies.
And I feel like the mana cost should be entirely changed to support being able to copy it more than twice.

>RM11
Why three cards?

>RM12
>Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays 3 or sacrifices a creature for each of those creatures.
Not sure about this. Another one that might be too oppressive.

>RM13
Eh, don't really get this one.

>RM14
Why rare? Don't see this being very useful anyway. And why would B pump only toughness?

>RM15
Not sure why it has to trigger on searching. I do like Praetor's Grasp effects though.

>RM17
Vengeful Rebirth? I'd make it more expensive.

>RM18
I really don't like this design. Just feel like more goodstuff, just three nice effects tacked onto one card.

>RM19
Seems cool. Not entirely sure about the pump though.

>RM20
So, you have to practically pay the mana cost of the card to get a temporary copy of it? Not really feeling it.

>RM22
I really don't like seeing a counterspell in these colors.

>RM24
I'd just drop the exile and token bits entirely and just let you recur a creature card whenever it hits a player.

>RM25
???

>RR02
Seems like fun.

>RR03
Not very Red.

>RR04
Eh, not sure. Could be interesting, dunno.

>RU03
I'd make this more expensive.

>RW04
The complaints I had about the WU boardwipe with Rebound also apply here. If you still want to make it a boardwipe, I'd essentially make it a choice between wiping out certain things, thus essentially making it modal and allowing you to choose two options. Like
>Destroy all artifacts, creatures, or enchantments.
Thus allowing a choice of two.

>UA01
Does too much.

>UA03
Eh, clones are pretty much always rare.

>UA04
This looks like it could be pretty interesting.

>UA05
Interesting. Not sure about the draw though.

Do us all a favor and read more Oracle text. Some of these cards are almost painful to read.

'At the beginning of your upkeep if you control less than 4 clone tokens create a 3/3 green Meepo Clone token.

Whenever Meepo or a Meepo clone dies, sacrifice all other Meepo or Meepo clones you control.

That's actually what I tried doing, but I'm not very good at this I guess. Do you have any specific things I need to fix?

Thanks, that sounds a lot better.
also, I gimped up the set symbol
He's got pointy ears, though.
And he was explicitly an elf in WC3, iirc.

>UB01
???

>UB02
Why can't it exile the original creature?

>UB04
Why does it care about hand size anyway?

>UB05
You only use "whenever" when the effect can happen multiple times using the one card. For example, ETB and LTB effects that only apply to the card itself use "when" not "whenever".

>UB07
Eh, not sure about this.

>UG01
I'd make it cost a bit more.

>UG02
Huh? Why does Green get land tapping?

>UG05
Seems cool.

>UG06
Also cool.

>UL01
Why not just Scry 2?

>UL02-03
Not sure about these effects on lands.

>UL04
Not really RW.

>UM02
I like this.

>UM03
Not liking exile recursion, even less on an uncommon. Last effect seems weird.

>UM05
I'd only put the counters on each other creature, not on the creature itself.

>UM06
Why a combat damage trigger? I mean, I've used it, pic related, but notice that this card hits most creatures before they hit it, thus being able to give damage but not receive it. This card doesn't have it, making the ability kinda odd.

>UM07
Why upkeep and not end step? And why Rebound? Seems like an odd choice.

>UM08
Eh, most flexible hard counters like having at least two Blue mana in the costs.

>UM09
Isn't Pilot a legit type since Kaladesh? Why not use that?

>UM10
Not sure this should be so cheap.

>UM12
Why each opponent discards a card?

>UM13
Ooh, nice, the Distended Mindbender effect. Though I think the wording should be
>Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose from it a nonland card with converted mana cost 3 or less and a card with converted mana cost 4 or greater. Exile those cards.

>UM14
Hmm, interesting.

>UM15
Spellshapers are, generally, supposed to copy a specific card that's already been printed, not just have any effect.

>UM17
>~ can't be countered by spells or abilities.
And why preventing Regen? Regen is dead anyway. I do like the card though.

>UM18
I don't like this effect at uncommon. And why enchantments too? I feel like this would fit way more in UB.

>He's got pointy ears, though.
>And he was explicitly an elf in WC3, iirc.
How can you say this and call yourself a Dota fan? Are you joking? Anyway, as far as creature types go, it's going to be a nightmare because of how vague Dota is with the races of the individual characters. For example, whether or not Kunkka is actually a ghost or something. And what species Templar Assassin is supposed to be, and if Warlock is supposed to be an Oglodi like Axe and Disruptor.

I've got to put something in the creature type, so I go with the closest it'll allow.I don't think anything contradicts that he's an elf . I don't think Meepo is really a Kobold either (even if he was in WC3), he's some sort of unnamed rodent monkey thing. The other closest labels with precedent I could find were goblin, gnome and imp, but I think kobold fit best. Dota 2 has a lot of heros that have unnamed species, it's made it difficult to type a lot of them.

>UM19
Not sure about this one.

>UM20
Or this one.

>UM21
I feel like only the keywords are Green in this.

>UM22
Cool.

>UM23
Another "Why Green?" card.

>UM24
Yeah, I think this one is good.

>UM25
Meh, feels weak.

>UM26
"into play" again? Last ability should probably be
>Discard two cards and sacrifice a land
I think. Seems cool, but I don't think this should be uncommon.

>UM28
Should be
>creatures and/or players.
And I don't think the second ability should actually be a separate ability. Pretty sure it should follow directly after the first and say
>Whenever a creature dealt damage this way dies this turn, draw a card.

>UM29
The effects don't really seem very synergistic.

>UM30
???

>UR01
???

>UR03
Oh shit, I made a card very similar to this a long time ago. Pic related.

>UR05
MTG uses contractions, just say can't. Though it should be
>~ can't be countered by spells or abilities.
It's pretty much an ironclad rule that you have to use this specific wording that says "by spells or abilities" if what you're talking about has targets, since if the targets become illegal targets, the game has to be able to counter it instead. I believe the only exception is Gilded Drake, which is basically used to make sure you can't cheat its effect.

>UR07
Eh, not sure about this.

>UR08
Cool.

>UU02
U to draw two? Seems dangerous.

>UW01
Like the Blue one, seems way too good.

>UW02
Again, why draw by itself on mono-White?

>UW07
I always like seeing more Equipment interaction. Seems pretty cool. Eh, maybe lower power to 2?

>UW08
Feel like this should be rare. I like the idea though.

DONE! Remember, cards I don't mention just look fine to me as they are now.

Still fiddling with the life loss on this. Note that it's each upkeep, not just yours.

>Koriand'r
>Coriander
Huh.
Anyway, the original art is the best. The middle art in the top row is the worst thing I've seen all day.

Well, this is a quite strange. It's quite unusual to have two abilities with negative synergy (antisynergy?) on one card. Unless I'm missing something.

Get rid of the ability that removes cards from the exiled creature's controller's library. It's largely pointless and takes up space. Triggered P/T boosts (like +N/+0) should only last until end of turn. You can use "Harbinger" instead of the full name after the first time. Honestly, this entire card is a real mess. It's like you just wrote the whole thing on the fly. I did try to figure out the correct rules text but it became very unwieldy very fast.
Cards based on other IPs generally aren't well received here, especially from novice designers.

Last version had FStrike and Hexproof. Another user said Hexproof combined with the combat effect is scary, so instead this version has Protection from creatures.

>Coriander
Yup. Comics love puns. Oh, and translators dicking around. Basically, there was a writer who asked his friend to translate something, and the friend tricked the writer into making Batman know one of the main characters from Sailor Moon.

>the original art is the best
Damn. I'd really like to replace it. Well, there's a ton of art for her, so I'm sure I'll find a good replacement someday.

Oh shit, just realized I never made a Rick Flagg card. I'll get on that soon.

>Baleful Pregenitor
I like the idea, but this is just begging for Haste.

This is cute. Maybe too cute? It's definitely not something that would be printed outside of, say Coldsnap, but I admire the concept.

Good work on the feedback, by the way. Credit to thread.

>At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control four or fewer Kobold Spawn creatures, create a legendary 3/3 green Kobold Spawn creature token named Meepo Clone.
>Whenever ~ or a creature named Meepo Clone dies, sacrifice ~ and each creature named Meepo Clone.

Suit of Sorrows. Long story short, magic armor that grants power, but eventually drives the wearer insane.

Eh, not sure about such a big buff when it's so easy to move around after it's on the field. Oh, and art in use. Magebane Armor, which is actually a cool card.

>Collapse
Yeah, made that ages ago. I think I actually made it after another user brought up the idea of it. I thought it was interesting rules manipulation.

>Good work on the feedback, by the way. Credit to thread.
Thanks. Took forever to get through it all.

This is borderline OP without having protection from creatures user...

>You wanted to play Magic? Fuck you.

Doesn't need to be a rare.
>art in use
fuck
I really want to find some art of fantasy-looking hexagon-pattern armor, because the card is a stupid reference to Hexplate Golem.

I don't like that he can't be blocked. Give it Skulk and tone down the cost? Also, he doesn't need to be blue at all; Worst Fears is monoblack.

Come to think of it, it'd be a better Johnny card if it didn't enable itself at all. You could cost it much more aggressively - even ditch the additional cost on combat damage - and let players find their own ways make sure he hits face. Just a thought.

Hey, all. Dropping off my newest batch of multicolored commons. I hate to post and run, but I have to teach bright and early tomorrow and I have a stack of papers to finish grading before bed. I will absolutely check out any feedback you guys have for me tomorrow, though. As always, it's much appreciated.

Deadshot. Watched Suicide Squad again today. The card is supposed to be able to make creatures drop like flies, but of course still be balanced. Not sure what else to do with this right now.

>Doesn't need to be a rare.
What, Suit of Sorrows? Oh, then I'll just add other stuff to it to make it rare. Sorry, but I kinda hate having legendaries below rare.

>Hexplate Golem
Well, maybe call is Hexplate Armor or something? Hmm, in that case, maybe a lower mana cost, but an additional cost requires saccing an artifact or something?

>Melai
Yikes.

>Tom Tresser
Thanks for the feedback! So, it looks like dropping Pro creatures is a good choice. Not using Skulk because it's dead. And that iteration of Tom was UB because, as I said, he had Hexproof before. So, mono-Black? And no keywords? If so, how do you think I should cost it? That is, in a way that doesn't just make it a worse Mindslaver? Honestly, I kinda hate having to compete with already printed cards.

They all look fine, CM13 in particular looks like it could be very interesting in practice. Except, well, CM15... I just don't like it, like at all. It honestly look like one of the least efficient cards I've ever seen. I'm sorry, but this could be the Lightning Diadem of your set.

Damn, there are some Egypt-related cards I still have to make, just remembered that.

How does this sound for an UB evergreen mechanic:
(This creature can't be blocked unless three or more creatures block this combat.)

UR for scry 1, scry 1 is really weak. Volatile Volition is a bad Opt.

Death Hymn is interesting. Renewed Service is alright.

I'm not entirely sure this even works. But even if it does, it certainly doesn't seem very reliable.

Would a card like this be playable in modern? Or is it too weak for a deck to consider using?

Literally doesn't work. You can't put cards you don't own into your hand. I have no idea about Modern play, but I'll try giving you approximate wording.
>Put target creature an opponent controls on top of his or her library, then exile the top two cards of that library face down. For as long as those cards remain exiled, you may look at them and play them.

Not functional and yeah a draw 2 and removal spell is insane for 3 mana at instant speed. It would be banned for breaking the game's rules and for being too strong.

But it is draws from your opponent deck, meaning they will be less valuable than draws from your deck. A creature + another card you might not even be able to play for three different colored mana is a large enough drawback compared to a typical draw two for three effect.

That said, would a card like this help to make 8rack a more viable modern deck?

It works, actually. You can have "ability lords", as long as those ability lords don't also grant abilities themselves. The card will grok properly because ability-granting effects are applied in Layer 6, early enough for Conformance to catch them (if they were granted by other permanents or temporary effects) in time to apply the P/T bonus in Layer 7.

This is a card that only works in digital TCGs, unfortunately.

Made me think of this, though. Half Totally Lost and half Disperse, although you need a certain Legendary creature to make it the good half.

Helps if I remember my cards.

Isn't 8rack "bad" because it folds to fast aggro top decks (i.e. a fuckton of Modern), not because its hurting for efficient hand control options?

Hmmm... maybe that should be "nonland permanent" instead of "creature."

Perhaps also
>Put target nonland permanent on top of its owner's library. Its controller draws a card at the beginning of the next end step.

Whoops, forgot you responded before.

>Alright, the basic premise that I went in with was I wanted to explore things that the colors can do, but don't often get to do
But why make a whole set? You could've just done what I do sometimes and make some one-off cards that do that.

>a power level close to the Urza's sets
You mean, one of the most infamous blocks of all time due to how completely broken some of its cards are? Why would you ever want to repeat that?

No offense, but it's a lot easier to keep track of what we're talking about if we reference the name of the original card, which I will do.

>CA07
I don't think changing it to exile will make a huge difference. My main contention is how it operates before it's used to make a token of an artifact.

>CB01
-1/-1 does sound better.

>CB05
Black deals with enchantments through things like discard and cap effects.

>CB07
It's still not Black. Again, Black CAN steal things, just not permanents. Well, in most cases. As I said with your Black mythic, that really does work.

>CB09
How would I do the cycle? Not sure. For a set, I'd look at what overarching themes and mechanics there were and see if I could design cards to appeal to them, but you don't really have any that span across colors, which is honestly kind of unfortunate.

>CG14
Sure, 2/1 sounds better.

>CG15
I looked up the effect earlier, and I really don't think you can get away with it here.

>CM03
>Eyeblight's Ending
Mono-Black. Are you talking about Mercy Killing? Because that pays back the creature's controller, which fits.

>Selesnya Charm
Power restriction, which fits.

Well, I've never been a big fan of White getting hard removal based on tapping, since you could do that to a mana dork, or tap with another White card like that Kor. I dunno, maybe if the enchanted creature deals combat damage to you, then kill it?

>CM07
Well, be sure to tell us after you test your set.

>CM14
Hug? No idea what that is. As for Ravings, fine, but that's mono-Red and works completely differently. How does that have anything to do with this?

Why not just return the creature to its owner's hand?

Eh. I think it'd be cooler if it were
>At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 blue and black Bird creature token with flying.
>T: Target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of Birds you control.

Dunno, I like using CO art for cards.

Wow, with that art, it looks like it's straight out of Kamigawa. Not really sure if the downside justifies the total effect.

>Why not just return the creature to its owner's hand?
The point was a silly combo with Leovold, Emissary of Trest, who prevents opponents from drawing more than one card each turn. If you control him, its Totally Lost, otherwise its Unsummon.

I figured if the birds had power, they'd be better off smacking the opponent rather than milling. Twenty being less than sixty, after all. After I posted it, I thought better and bumped up each bird to mill 2. It is a five drop Millerblossom, after all.

>I figured if the birds had power, they'd be better off smacking the opponent rather than milling.
Well, yeah, which is why I moved the mill ability to the card itself rather than the tokens.

>mill 2
Sounds like a good idea.

>Enforced Harmony
Ugh, fuck. I'm sorry, but after going through that other user's entire set, I'm fucking sick of seeing super oppressive cards.

Just realized that this doesn't need Blue. Whatever, I'll change it later.

Interesting, though every upkeep is just going to kill you before you can use your demon horde.

Wow, this is so cool.

But people love oppressive hate cards! It's why Modern is such a great format! :^)

I think it'd be more interesting if it did one or the other, not both.

>I think it'd be more interesting if it did one or the other, not both.
It's a "choose one" option. Or do you mean dropping one of the modes entirely? Well, no contest, I'd have to drop the artifact steal like a rock, it doesn't hold up to damage. Which really sucks too, I'm not really a fan of how every lightning-user I make seems to ping, but I can't think of anything else either.

>Fragility
Eh, a slow kill spell? OK I guess.

It honestly sounds less like you miss them and more like you're resentful.

Not really, I guess just frustrated how the threads keep dying. Let's hope this one lasts overnight. Not holding my breath though.

Whoops, this isn't rare. This is like, common. Was originally going to be GB and hit all nonland permanents (at one point all permanents), before I decided that was maybe too much.

Dropping one of the modes entirely. Stealing and untapping artifacts on a prowess trigger seems fairly interesting to me, if there's artifact support in the format, at least.

Sorry /co/user, my ability to keep threads alive into the wee hours is limited now that I have 9 am classes every day of the week.

>card
There's so much random art of this crazy nun girl that I should just make a card of her.

I combined "Twin Cast" and "Reverberate" and added uncounterability to give it some teeth.

I was considering doing u/r u/r (CMC 2) and just making it a strictly better "Twin Cast" and "Reverberate".

Pic related is my take on an instant creature burn on a stick. I guess I could make it RRR instead, though, but Flash is mostly Blue's thing.

That still really comes of as a form of resentment. Be honest. Or don't. No skin off my dick. There have been 17 posters besides me, and I'm not bumping the thread with these posts. You constantly claim to be "doing it yourself" and toss around your frustrations without considering why they might be gone in the first place. The fact that you often act like you own these threads since you start many of them and post so much might be a place to start looking. Or I could be a crazy person. Also possible. But I say this as an observer, and with the post count/thread mortality rate as of late, do you think I'm completely off base here? What's the only constant you can think of between the threads where you had 50+ posters and now, with so many regulars gone?

Not telling you you're ruining the threads single-handedly; far from. You've been constructive as with many other regulars at many instances in time. But you might give it some thought. Or, disregard this and don't. I'm just some user, after all.

What are you talking about?

Not bad.

Rolled 4, 8, 8, 1, 6, 5 = 32 (6d10)

Thanks. I had the idea a while ago about making a "perfect copy" of another creature, though that idea also including copying counters. I tried to make this card do that too in the previous iterations, but it was incredibly wordy, so I just cut it.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. But here's the challenge sheet before I go. Normally I'd go first, but I'm too tired. I'll still roll to start though, so anyone interested, feel free to use my results. And feel free to just ignore them if they don't get anything good, I know how that is. Well, good night all.

Turns out she actually has a name. Thanks, Pixiv!

Decided to work on a "commanders with alternate costs" theme, while also trying to stick to mono-color this time around. Came up with these five, though I should have probably went to bed instead.

>Driscoll
Probably broken in that his evoke ability is too good and his "better" use is nearly impossible to get or keep. The not-really-lore behind him runs vaguely deep, but here's what you need to know:
>Legendary, god-tier paladin
>The mere inscription of his name can ward off monsters, is essentially a saint
>Is so saintly that it takes a lot to be "worthy" in his eyes
Hence, the huge cost and body, his reason to be Evoked, and the absurd devotion required to get his one-sided wipe. Even just hard-casting him is decently one-sided, though.

>Cymra
Last one to get done, she broke the "cheaper" theme due to me not wanting to do an artifact theme with her (Affinity or Improvise). Ended up as a bit of a jumble, but I feel like she has some major utility. Early anti-anti-land, followed by a way to get more board presence in a spellslinger deck still quite early, followed by a huge Awaken jolt to get the engine moving faster.

>Flynne
I don't know if she's broken or not, intended to be decent voltron with a strange catch. I almost certainly need to raise her cost for Delve alone, I forgot to do that in this version- especially since, if I remember correctly, you can go over the actual cost with Delve.

>Kyo and Sai
First and best. Wants to pilot a super-aggro Red spellslinger deck with all low-cost spells that can run people over with dragon tokens and homoeroticism. Might be a little pushed.

>Ianna
Probably broken. Supposed to be the most adorable helm to green stompy decks, and enable them to stomp harder than ever before. Since they're all intended as commanders, it might really not work to give her 1GGG, since any monocolor deck can hit that easy. I realized only halfway through developing her that Convoke can produce G...

Gonna sleep now.

Interesting card. I feel like I'd run her as a commander, if only because I like the idea of a 8.5-tails diagonally-upgrade. Not having to keep mana open is a great exchange for the potential life loss, I think.

Almost feels WB, but doesn't breach that line as-is. I like it.

Second ability should regenerate, as it doesn't save a creature from damage.

She was actually originally WB and I didn't feel she was black enough mechanically. Most of the cards I've designed that feature her are WB "life gain/loss matters", because she tends to be covered in blood for whatever reason. I'll never really know because all the lore for her is in moon runes.

That's what the first one is for. And regenerate is dead.

>card
Its Super Skullbriar! Also Totally-Not-Mordecai if anyone plays Shadowverse.

>Driscoll
Twenty devotion is absolutely insane. That's like, fifteen nonland permanents. Maybe ten? Also, the way intervening if clauses are structured means this has to be phrased slightly differently.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, exile all nonland permanents you don't control if your devotion to white is [number] or greater. Otherwise, choose up to one creature you control and sacrifice/destroy the rest. You must choose @ if able.

>Cymra
Unfortunately, due to how Awaken is worded, you can't give permanent spells Awaken. Also, the third ability might be better like Noyan Dar's, as a trigger:
>Spell mastery -- Whenever you cast a spell, if there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target land you control. If you do, that land becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste that's still a land.

>Flynne
This card sucks. Its so much jank for so little payoff. I have to cast her multiple times, sac a bunch of my Swamps, and then have her die so I can delve them away. All to make her a... slightly above curve beater? I'd just restart from fresh for this one.

>Shirtless bros
Holy shit this ability is bonkers. Its bad enough that they're a 4/4 Prowess Haste on turn 4 if you've got a 1 mana spell (turn 3 off of Gut Shot, secret tech!). It sort of sucks that they're mono red because UR storm would be hilarious with these guys. I'd drop those dragons to be 3/3s or something, without trample. Also, you can bake the exile trigger into the ability, like Feldon and Kiki-Jiki.
>Create a ... with flying and haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.
Also, interestingly, the first spell you cast can be a creature, as long as the second and further are noncreatures, and you'll still get dragons.

Continued, because I just barely passed 2000 characters.

>Ianna
Consider Dictate of Heliod and similar cards, in that "double lords" cost four or five, minimum. And counters are typically better than a lord, because they're harder to interact with. Being green card advantage is crazy enough. Cut the last ability.

Nowhere as interesting as skullbriar.

This could be BB honestly, or just WB. 3 mana seems like a lot for a really inconsitent heal spell. If it make a 2/2 BW cleric as well maybe it would be fine at 3 mana.

>Devoid and devoid frame
>on a colorless card with colorless costs

Still Blood Moon 2.0 might be interesting.

A friend mentioned there was something wrong with it.