/kdg/ Kingdom Death General

last time on /kdg/...

We all said thanks to the man of the hour, Adam! Now let's pay homage to the person behind the scenes, who's positive impact on Kingdom Death's development is rather apparent. If you are not aware, Anna is Adam's better half, and she's responsible for the content of the Gorm and Flower Knight expansions and most recently the inspiration for the Inverted Mountain final showdown being UPSIDEDOWN.

Thanks, Anna, if you're out there maybe lurking in the shadows. Looking forward to seeing your continued success working on Kingdom Death along side Adam and co.

> she's responsible for the content of the Gorm and Flower Knight

Not sure there's higher praise -- those are two of my three favorite expansions (though with me and Gorm it's more like the "buddies" that punch eachother full strength and swear like sailors cursing each other's name while still insisting on being friends... which for a KDM expansion is perfectly fitting).

So Summer release is basically out of the window at this point?

Here here. Those expansions are largely toted as MUST HAVE, not only for the content they bring to the game, but also for the interesting and engaging mechanics posed with either expansion.

As someone pointed out in the previos thread, she has an amazing head for gamedesign. I greatly look forward to seeing what she has in store for us with the currently revealed expansions, but I also wonder what else she would REALLY like to work on next...

Truly a boardgame visionary, and a swell gal all around.

Do you count august as summer? If so, there's hope.

Better hope you have a Black Friday pledge, those have high priority

Will I ever be able to buy this game outside of kickstarters and ebay?

Yes you will

Prepare yourself for Black Friday of this year. It's less than a full year away, but that's the closest we are gonna get that's inside 2017

Probably.

I'm expecting a Winter 1.5 release tbqh. I'm hoping Poots surprises me though.

Nah just Gold Lantern, I was late to the party
I'll have to make myself forget about this game after the pledge manager is over with

Any other backed boardgames you're waiting on, /kdg/?

I guess i'll start poking my head in these generals if they're still up around november.

Can anyone tell me a bit about their People of the Sun campaigns? I love everything about the atmosphere.

Should I add the Sunstalker as a quarry still? I might be a bit thematically consistent but its gear fits very well.

Yes, just not for a while.

The first kickstarter produced a surplus of product that was sold in the online story after. However, while some stuff is still available the core is all sold out.

Its very expensive to print because Poots refuses to half ass things, so the second kickstarter was originally just to fund a reprint of the core and a couple of new expansions. We blew though all those expectations beyond any reasonable expectation.

In addition to that, one of the pledge levels was Retail, getting 6 core boxes for presumed resale.

So I would expect that not only will the online store be stocked with the core game again after all pledges have been fulfilled, but in addition to that some game stores will have a limited amount of Core boxes themselves to sell.

The core boxes and update packs SHOULD ship this summer, but might be delayed a bit because of the much higher than expected demand due to the KS being so damn successful. So you might be able to pay retail for a core game this summer, and you should certainly be able to do it by fall assuming there is a time delay between pledges being fulfilled and stuff going on the store.

Do you think update packs have a better chance of being delivered earlier? I mean simply by looking at numbers of how many people backed the last kickstarter and how many copies were then sold on the store there must be a fairly small (by comparison) number of people getting them.

I almost backed that one about the fantastic 5 puzzle solver... Forget the name. I was really close to doing so, but the awesome special edition box was a little out of my reach at the time. Thankfully I held off, and then caught wind of 1.5 KD:M. I'm much happier with that pledge, but I still REALLY like the art direction and concept of that game. Fuck I wish I could remember the name...

Don't give up hope. And it's important not to completely forget about the game; take this opportunity to practice your craft and get amazing at painting.

If you're already good at painting, try your hand at greenstuff modifications.

If you're a wizard at both, then please help me with my core ;_;

Dark Souls Boardgame.

...I'm mostly getting it for the minis, since getting a set of DS minis to use for dnd is its own reward. I hope the game will be good too, but I have doubts as to long term replay value.

I see, thank you. Doing a bit of googling it does seem there are sales for the game around black friday like the other user said. Hopefully the core game sells for a bit cheaper this year too around it.

Its possible! They have less material than the core boxes do, and most pledge levels had new core sets instead of update boxes, so there will be more of them. We know Poots has to do a second printing of the core game, but he might have enough update boxes ordered to see him through.

I wouldn't expect it to be TOO far ahead of the rest, though. Poots likes to fulfill a wave all at once, not a bit at a time peicemeal.

Fate of the Elder Gods, Tavern Masters, and Vast: The Crystal Cavern. 2017's looking like a good year in gaming.

I believe he filled more orders for upgrade kits than he anticipated as well -- but I doubt it was to the same demand as the core rerelease.

There is still a surprising amount of content in the upgrade, I was shocked that you could pick it up alone for just 50 bucks during the campaign.

There was also confusing amongst backers; towards the end I saw constant postings in the comments of "PEOPLE PLEASE VERIFY YOU HAVE AN UPGRADE PACK OR A CORE GAME AND SWITCH ACCORDINGLY" from like six different people...

Even if the /kdg/ series dies off, expect it to return whenever waves ship.

After KS2 starts fulfilling there are going to be a lot more people with actual opinions on the game so the generals might stay long term, but we're still a lot more niche than most established wargames or RPGs. We still might not maintain a permanent thread but something like Death Fridays would be worthwhile seeing how much combining and recombining of expansion content is available, the uniqueness of any given settlement, and the homebrewing some anons do

Not that I'm waiting on.
Lagoon is good, but no signs of expacks.
I wish I had more knot dice already.
I just got the war chest for Fireteam Zero.
FTZ is more-or-less a better MYTH, so I'm probably not going to get that new one.

On the contrary, we have a lot to look forward to on the horizon

>OC from drawfriends
>game reports and existing mechanics discussion
>TTS groups forming
We already have 3 people grouped up, so if anyone else wants in on a newly starting TTS Kingdom Death group, provide your email
>resculpts of Frogdog and Gorm
>painting tutorials and WIP updates
>more Rime, because Anonymous demands it

and much more

If you guys haven't been keeping track, we can't have a single thread last longer than a full day -- so I anticipate that the hype will carry us at least a few months on this stuff alone --Also that's beside the rush that pledge manager and last minute piggybacking will bring.

>I almost backed that one about the fantastic 5 puzzle solver...
I just remembered it

Rising 5!

This shit looked like fun, but I wondered how it would play with more than 1 person.... the mechanics basically function the same with 1, only you have control over the finiete resource in the game, action cards. The cards allow you to active one of 5 members of a galactic disaster response team, that just showed up to a planet that has a doomsday prophecy unfolding before all. You spend these action cards to use these actors, and then one they're gone they're gone and it's game over... Which sounds intriguing, but again unsure how it feels in hand.

If anything, Rising 5 has stunning original artwork; I would very much love see more from that developer.

Is the black friday meme still around? Jesus. No one has ever made a reference to a poots comment.

Just to a troll post that I made

I made the troll post

then we both must have, because i made the one about satans getting delivered last because they aren't real fans

it was a SP reference

shame gorm looks like ass and will probably never get redone

What's Fire Team Zero like? I only looked into MYTH for a split second; co-op dungeon crawling with expansive narrative gameplay?

Any chance for single player mode in the future?

I saw a copy at a sci fi convention once, and haven't been able to track one down since.

>will probably never get redone
Not if I can help it, user

My hope is to model one that's standing on it's hind legs, in a far more dynamic pose and of course tweaked proportions. Just look at the significant improvement this has on the gorm for inspiration.

I backed Fireteam Zero at a pretty high level so I can answer your question. I've played it a few times with friends and it's a lot of fun, it's very much a very fast dungeon crawler although it doesn't have loot, instead settling for 'leveling up' and getting new and more powerful abilities. Put your dudes down, move through the world while evil enemies attack you and get ever more powerful as the round progresses. My update/expansion stuff just arrived the other day so I haven't had a chance to see how the new campaigns or strains are. It would be easy to play solo if you wanted but is best experienced with people.

Gonna give it the L3 tusks as well? there was a model of one with them a few threads back and it looked pretty badass.

I haven't played a lot, we keep dying on the way to extraction.
MYTH doesn't feel very expansive or narrative. It's a dungeon crawl.
FTZ, I think, has a dungeon crawl mode and the story. A story is three dungeons with chosen quests and enemies and ends with a boss fight.

FTZ feels really tense and lethal, but you can assist your friends with your cards. Cards also = character HP, so it's an interesting choice of using them or not. In MYTH you can pop minibosses using a single card or two card combo.

The soundtrack is fitting, but each track is fairly short.

The head is fine, everything else is what is sort of meh.

I wonder if there is another monster, like an elephant or something, from another game where you can just cut off the heads and swap them to get a better effect.

I plan to sculpt my own tusks, yes. That user inspired me to do so; what an improvement it looked with that simple addon.

>sound track
That sounds awesome, I love official media accompaniments like that

If I had a friend in the world that would play with me, I think I'll get FTZ. Myth was always intriguing but I heart it's riddled with design flaws, and that basically the game company released an unfinished product, with the hopes the fanbase would improve upon it themselves.

>It would be easy to play solo if you wanted but is best experienced with people.
No fucking bullshit? You can really mod it by just playing someone else's station? THATS AWESOME! Thanks so much, I will eagerly look for a used copy if I can now.

Probably waiting for the pledge manager to come to pass for Kingdom Death (sorry, baby, I hadn't forgotten about you so soon!) and then once I can afford it pick this game up.

I play zombicide and monsterpocalypse solo, but I desperately want to get something new.... I had looked into MERCS, but with the terrible things I had heard about MYTH I just decided to pass on it entirely.

The way FTZ works is that each player controls a character and their hand of cards (attacks/abilities), and of course actions in-game. If you want to play solo, just control all of that yourself and you're good to go.

I also have MERCS: Recon btw if you want to know about that.

well you misunderstand me when I say proportions... I'm not JUST talking about the head, although that artist seemingly did a better job of rendering that baby face. I mean look at the hulking body, the out stretched paw; all of this adds a sense of dread and fear, beyond just standing in a static pose splaying it's throatcunt.

Here's an elephant monster concept I LIKE, but I dont think it has a miniature. Forgetting all the obvious elephant/indian details, I want to use the body/frame/structure of this creature and translate the rest of the Gorm's features on to this.

>TTS groups forming
I think I´d like to play KD:M online as well.
When is the next Steam Sale and is TTS likely to go on sale?

I absolutely want to know about MERCS, because everywhere I've asked people tell me to skip it.

Is that a nice solo game? Does it have lots of crunchy tactics? Have you ever played a faceoff in it?

I hate to talk up other games in the thread, but we seem a little slow this afternoon so It's cool.

Appreciate you doin this, user!

T. a lone gamer

>January
user I...

also feel free to email me -- you or anyone else. As I said it's me and two other people thus far, and we all have ambitions to forge a longstanding play community that can learn the game at their own pace -- at present we haven't played a single game of Kingdom Death

I don't think it's as much of a skip as people say. The rules are not as tight as I'd like them to be, but the game is overall pretty fun and once you know all the options it runs quickly. The tactics aren't the crunchiest but they do vary quite a bit between megacorps. The Russians have 0 subtlety, while playing as Kemvar (as long as you have their assassin) is like a mad sprint through the hallways, interrogating everyone on the way. I have not yet played the PvP mode (the tabletop game proper). Hard for me to say just how good the value is though - it was like $300 and I got pretty much everything for the game so I have dozens of factions, missions, special NPCs and so on.

They usually have a smaller scale sale on Valentines day I think. Chances of TTS being a selected game is small though I would wager.

that sounds right up my alley

my FLGS said they would stock it, but they never made good on that request. Again, if I can find one used I will certainly pick it up -- I had intent on doing this anywys, but with the advent of 1.5 I've been looking at my hobby expense and wondering what I'm doing with my life.

Thanks for taking a sec to sell me on these two games; you're the best, user!

I am a bit short on cash right now, so I have to hold of to getting that TTS.

No sweat user, hope you find them fun! And I feel you on the hobby expenses thing - I backed Kingdom Death 1.5, Cthulhu Wars, Mercs and FTZ. The money is one thing (I was in college for a lot of it), storage... that's another problem altogether.

forgot email

donnynewday at gmail

i would like to watch. i kind of just want to play kd for the first time irl. but it sounds fun to just hang out in a ts with people that play the game.

[email protected]

maybe il play. but so far i just want to grab popcorn and watch you all die.

also i can mute my mic if to many people are starting to talk.

also are you guys online now? we could play catan or something else easy to get things in order.

user from a few threads ago here, I sent you a friend request on steam

Well eventually I'm forging a steam group, so feel free to add my mailif it's your wish to watch us suffer

I personally have never played catan... does that mean I'll suck at KD?

TMNT, Widower's Wood, Dark Souls (rulebook looks great) and Sword & Sorcery (sadly I'm thinking on sacrificing this one, I've spent a lot in Kingdom Death but it was a once in a lifetime chance)

7th continent
SDE: Legends
Dark Souls
Dreadball 2
Dropfleet Commander
Warpath (Have but haven't been able to play with anyone yet)

But out of these and all past things I've backed, KD:M is the one I'm most hyped for. Even more than Scythe Art Connoisseur Edition.

Depends, how well do you act as a table?

I'm rapidly selling off games that were on my backlog thanks to Kingdom Death myself.

See ya later, XCOM; you we're probably horrible single player anyhow...

This really did feel like a once in a lifetime chance, even though Anna tried to reassure us that it will be more readily available this second go-around. I missed out on the first KS, wasn't going to let that happen a second time.

We're beginning introductions now, so unsure how we are as a table yet.

user seems nice though :D

Xcom was literally made for single player, also very very fun, if you have no choice sell it. Otherwise keep it, or pirate it.

What? Really? I watched a few reviews that said it's garbage single player, but that it can also be unfun if your group refuses to switch stations

If my FLGS won't take store credit, I'll hang on to it.

Guess you can't believe everything you hear on the internet lol

Not that user, but I'm fairly dubious of any board game that requires an app to play. If I wanted to futz with persistent internet connections and long term worries about operating systems, servers, and availability, I'd play me some newschool vidya. You can call me old-fashioned, but when dealing with Veeky Forums materials I kind of expect them to at least be technically playable in 10+ years, right out of the box.

I'm also a little bit salty about Legacy games that only support one playthrough.

whats your mail ?

The XCOM program does not require a persistent internet connection to function. The program is available on apple and android devices as an app, or as a windows or mac executable that can be ran on any computer. Computers as we know them would have to undergo an insane paradigm shift in order to no longer be compatible with the XCOM executable. The program is small enough for FFG to continue hosting on their store website until the end of time as well as the phone apps being hosted on the respective store servers. If you were really paranoid about it you could dedicate a little raspberry pi to running the program and package it in the box.

XCOM single player is okay. It's fun and becomes more thinky since you get to manage all aspects and don't have to rely on other people that might make mistakes but also you can't rely on other people to split part of the puzzle.

Ultimately single player is fun, but much more stressful. I enjoy 4 player the most, it is a lot more relaxed at the full player count and I enjoy my time more with it that way.

donnynewday at geemale

I'm sending one out to this fella here now to add them to the group

God im so excited to have a final boss that's actually challenging

1.5 cant get here soon enough famalams

i have not gotten a mail yet. maybe your working on it.

fuck me

too right

which boss are you referring to though?

One-eye'd Flying Ivory Dragon?

I'm personally stoked about the laser beam emitting SCREAMING GOD

just imagine farming end game gear from fucking dragons or sunstalkers.

There's at least 3-5 "Final" Bosses coming with this KS.

Gold Smoke, Goblin Dragon, Ivory Dragon, Screaming God, Mountain Man, Gryphon, Pariah (If Red Witch Campaign is made).

I'm hype.

I don't think Screaming God is going to be an endboss: it pushes Gold Smoke back and is farmable for armor sets in the meantime, as opposed to Satan and The Sparrow King which appear after GSK

>Not having Ivory Dragon
>Not farming the Gold Smoke Knight

Do you even triumph, bro?

talkin about 1.5 so that would be Gold Smoke Knight

im excited about the others too obv but im not going to be fighting them until about 3-4 years from now

Lantern Parasite Queen my dude.

Screaming God has 2 monsters.

I would be more likely to get Ivory Dragon if we knew anything about it.

I'm sure it will be okay, Poots rarely releases a total disappointment. But why should I get Ivory Dragon when I can buy Lion God + Silver City for the same price?

I chose to get Abyssal Woods instead.

I just don't like anything about the Ivory Dragon presentation so far.

For those of you that own every expansion, are there any boss fights that you just straight up dislike in them?

i fucking forgot about her

i am so pumped. I hope its not too hard to work other campeigns in. I'd love to have people of the stars who hunt the screaming god to show their love for their god, their worthiness, before they become gods themselves.

Or go on to hunt the ivory dragon and fill my headcanon once they are transcended.

Maybe campaigns of death will touch on this.

The language used still makes it sound like the GSK remains in a game with Screaming God. I'd bet on the Parasite Queen being more like the Lonely Tree fight: a rare and special 'bonus' showdown you have to unlock (in this case by messing with Screaming God stuff)

Of the current xpacs Lion God is lowest tier.
At least the tree looks nice.

>Maybe campaigns of death will touch on this.
Supposedly Campaigns of Death won't be integrating new expansions, but I have a feeling Poots may get more awesome ideas involving the new stuff and throw it in. He just won't promise the book messing with anything new.

Ancient Butcher could be another endboss, too. We don't really know yet.

The millenium gamblers might sound like a cool final fight to me.

Silver City, friend. Lion God got kicked up a few notches. (which is ANOTHER final boss: Legendary Lion God)

Of course, if you're going with Old Only with limited funds to save on shipping, it remains pretty trash tier. Even with more Lantern Years I don't see the rewards being worth the hell of that fight.

Lion God is literally one of the best models

I will literally irl fight anyone who disagrees with me on this

Also his fight is fucking brilliant. The rewards aren't great though which is a shame but hey almost all of the rewards in KDM suck balls.

My guess is that hes probably going to make a Campaigns of Death 2 around the time the new expansions roll out. I expect the first one to be out in 2018.

They seem to be fundamentally two different xpacks, really. Silver City/LG is a dungeon crawler that you explore near the end game (presumably) to get rare gear and more lore for those into that sort of thing. What node the Lion God is in remains to be seen.

As for Ivory Dragon, it is for all intents and purposes purely a climactic, final boss fight for all of KD:M, or at least one of them at this point. From the looks of the pitch, your characters will need to defeat a gate guardian just to get access to Satan, and then you have to fight one of the most powerful bosses in the game. Honestly this one looks like a lot of fun - we already know how the Lion God works, but Poots seems incredibly excited to make the Satan fight, so it should be a battle unlike any other.

I'm really interested in seeing what "Full power" Lion G will be like. I know they won't be producing a new mini for it, but I plan to paint mine up in a distinctive way for Silver City. Perhaps draped in robes laced with silver threads?

my dream is that with the campaign going so long, lvl 3 monsters will drop like half rare loot and half normal loot.

that way you can decide later to make a quick armor set from a low level monster if you deem it wise.

Lion God is criminally un-fun, and the rewards don't really make it worth the misery.

If it were a little more forgiving, it would be an excellent encounter for getting easy access to iron. As it stands, you're going to get beat up or killed.

>I'm really interested in seeing what "Full power" Lion G will be like.
I figured it would just be the level 3 Lion God. That fight is bonkers. All attacks are now relentless, everyone is always a threat and in LoS, and he has both of his Legendary AI cards, which are brutal.

Oh my sweet merciful fuck

Thank you, Doug, at Capital One -- he expedited my card replacement and I was able to lock down my pledge.

This is an incredible weight lifted from my shoulders. Now I have to find some way of paying that credit card off as quickly as possible.

Anyone else out there waiting to correct payment? You have 4 days left, less than even.

>Dragon God is the last of his kind.
>Ivory Dragon.
>Goblin Dragon.

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS!!!

Fuck, yeah Doug.

All hail.

Has anyone finished a run using one of the different campaign variants?

Was it fun?

You forgot the red haired dragons, that are used to make the red witch cloaks.

But the Dragon King is either the last of a a species foreign to the KD world (he crashes down in a meteor made of his protective dragon shell), or is the last of his particular dragon species.

There's a popular theory that Dragons are Kingdom Death's version of angels, and that the Dragon King is the only one not to have fallen and is in that sense the last of his kind (uncorrupted angels).

To be fair, one of them is Big Bird playing Harbinger of the Death, and the other IS the Harbinger of the end times; neither of which look like dragons at all....

That being said...
Golgori cross over when???

Yup. KS billed the wrong card. Even after I had removed it. Associated pledge w different card. Etc. Still no dicing response from KS, I had to dispute the charge through my bank.
I contacted Poors to see if I can get his help in cancelling the pledge and getting it reissued, but, at b this rate in have no ducking clue

>tfw Itsuno is making a game
>tfw rumors abound that its not DMC5

I want to believe.

Last of his lineage, presumably.

That isn't a fucking popular theory- just one autistic shitting up KD threads with this polluted idea better left to shut a nine tropes.

Nah, I like the theory too so it's minimum two anons.

I'm not that user either and I like it so I guess that makes three.