MTG Lore Thread Sky Pirates Edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/skies-over-ghirapur-2017-01-11

It was ok, but I miss the old stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202419
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202453
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=31
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDVE1DVzNnLTZNVkU/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In an effort to be more invlusive, WOTC has included underage beastiality

>not monkey love edition
SAD

bestiality is having sex with animals, this is just zoophilia.

>this cutie roody-poo in the loo walls up and smacks your monkey on the ass. What do you do?

I prefer Cindy-loo Poo

The best part about shitty characters on cards is that you can kill them when you play the game!

>So little discussion
Why aren't you enjoying your fresh new lore?

Its not great. I can buy a 15 year old being a sky pirate, and they might even be a 'captain' of a single small one person ship. But I have trouble buying a 15 year old being the captain of a fleet of criminals. You'd think at least one of the other, presumably older and more experienced, captains would be in charge instead.

Aside from that, the writing style in this weeks article is a bit sub par. Nothing too terrible, just a lot of word repetition when it isn't needed and more variety could have been used instead.

Because it sucks.

I have yet to read it, I like to believe you are joking but I have a feeling its true.

>tfw Yawgmoth will never wipe out all life on Kaladesh

Good, now we need Urza to show up and steal the Kaladesh Meekstone.

Also, why is there a Meekstone on Kaladesh? I thought the Meek and Mightstone were one of a kind.

Weren't they just two polar opposites of the same Thran Power Stone?

If this is the case, then could Kaladesh be a Thran Colonial Plane?

>nonlegendary
the ones urza and mishra were unique and two halves of a powerstone containing the spark and possibly soul of a Thran inventor, but at the end if the day they were just that, two halves of a powerstone. there's nothing to stop someone from making another artifact with the equivalent effect on a completely different plane out of obviously different materials

I'm slowly getting interested in MTG. Where do I get started on the lore?

The thran

>Kaladesh was colonized by the Thran

That'd be kinda neat

>Why aren't you enjoying your fresh new lore?
These days, Veeky Forums is mostly just good at regurgitating old memes they picked up from other boards.

Keep with the old Lore, the more recent stuff is ward-levels of shit.

the new lore is no worse than old lore. it's all lukewarm.

>the new lore is no worse than old lore
The Brother's War begs to differ.

I quite enjoy Mirrodin's lore, it is the most original they've made.

I haven't read the pirate one yet but the prior one titled "Burn" was just unreadable. The fight with Baral went something like
>Hands burning. He kick. Gut pain. Burn. Angery. I crey.
Then he gets one shotted by Nissa and that was it. Also, Chandra's relation dynamic with Gideon was something like a little sister to him, but now there's like a ""thing"" between them? Nissa should just drop and munch on that fiya crotch already and stop being such a cuck. damn.

Seconding this. The Ice Age cycle was pretty great, and the first Legends cycle was entertaining.

There's a feel to the older lore that's entirely missing nowadays, and I'm hard pressed to point out what it was.

Check the multiversity in review blog

>There's a feel to the older lore that's entirely missing nowadays, and I'm hard pressed to point out what it was.
Nostalgy

It feels less 'magical' to me, at least. Today's, for example, felt somehow too short scope even if they blew up the fucking flagship of the enemy. They're trying to focus on action and quirky characters instead of doing more work developing the world and a mood for it.

Ok first of all:
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202419
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202453
These are the halves of the stone Urza and Mishra found in the Caves of Kolios.

This OTOH:
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=31
has been in the game long before Uzra and Mishra were ever even conceived of.

So no
are wrong.
Secondly, Maro and the rest have stated repeatedly and continuously that we will NEVER get Yawgie back nor Urza/Mishra or any of the rest. Not happening ever even if it would be fucking awesome.

Yeah, no. Quit being a retard.
Yeah, worldbuilding seems to have gone downhill.

I want the gatewatch to lose this

The consult is actually pretty justified in a lot of areas

Letting people have complete access to the aether is retarded

Quick question about Innistrad:
If the vampires and demons were getting wiped off, would Sorin intervene on their behalf? Is he beholden to his original people in any way?

Well, it's implied the consulate had never failed to uphold order until Tezzeret came and added his -99 luck to the dice pool.
Under those circumstances there may be some benefit to having a dumb bitch with more ego than brains "lead" your criminal organization.

The first thing Gideon and Chandra did together was spoon.

90's lore had to compete with other fantasy books, because people back then actually read books and there were a shitload of fantasy books so nobody woudl spend a dime on Magic: the Gathering "novels" is they weren't a least above mediocre.
Lore nowadays coattails on the IP in it's entirety. Same with movies, superhero movies are shit but people chase the IP like it's a tribalistic status symbol. Same as happened 6 years ago with electrodomestics, and 20 years ago with clothes.

Demons no, vampires yes.
He considers vampires part of the eco-system and they actually fight demons and other threats when necessary. If the mayority of vampires were more like Runo/Edgar and less like Olivia/Falkenrath, Avacyn would have never been necessary on the first place.

If we ever go back to Innistrad and they are not as retarded as they were with SoI, Olivia will have turned the plane into 17th century Requiem: Vampire Knight.

If I remember correctly, the vampires and demons and werewolves and all the things that go bump in the night were hilariously overpowered compared to humans, which led to them losing their primary food source, and would thus lead to the destruction of pretty much everything on Innistrad.

So in response, Sorin created Avacyn, and the way Avacyn worked, I think, was that the worse things looked for humans, the more powerful she was, so she could cull the numbers of evil things, and the human population would turn to an uptick. Then Avacyn gets weaker, vampires and shit get the upper hand, feast on humans, humans get weak, Avacyn strong, and so on and so forth ad infinitum.

Pretty much. Avacyn ensured that the Humans would always have a fighting chance while simultaneous still being too weak to 'win'.

Even at her strongest there is just so much evil on the plane and it's all so much of a threat that she could never hope to battle it all.

Falkenrath is RIP I think, or at least the majority of his family is. Avacyn fucked them up hard during SOI because she was no longer beholden to the restrictions of Sorin.

>the way Avacyn worked, I think, was that the worse things looked for humans, the more powerful she was, so she could cull the numbers of evil things, and the human population would turn to an uptick.

Demons on Innistrad are a lot like kami on kamigawa in that they can't entirely be destroyed, just temporarily banished from a location. Avacyn and her angels beat them up regularly and keep them away, and later 'fixed' werewolves to make them friendly again(the Wolfir).

Then WotC shit on a good plane and made it Zendikar 2.0

>I'm hard pressed to point out what it was.
Actual flawed characters who don't trip over a solution to every problem?

>15 year old girl
>Card has Menace

I don't know, this kinda stretches my suspension of disbelief.

>No Yawg
>No Urza
>No Mishra
>yfw instead we get Gix

Old lore is dead. Let it go

>Old Lore is dead
>Karn and Phyrexia still exist

>Hating on Gix

He's probably the only person from the old lore who would even make sense to return

Falkenrath are still kind of around. With SOI Avacyn going super hardcore on everything she basically pushed them into being raiders and monsters. Most of the crazy madness vampires in SOI and EMN are Falkenraths.

On the other hand, look, another Innistrad legendary who keeps getting mentioned but won't get a card until a commander set years down the line!

These threads are dying very quickly. It's as if new lore was too uninteresting to talk about (which I think it is, really) and old lore is better discussed elsewhere.

I've read a lot of the new stuff and I don't really feel like things have 'happened'.

God, she was so gorgeous. Why did WotC have to ruin a good thing? She looked great in the evil armor, but damn. Why u do dis, wotc?

The last lore thread for Burn lasted a few days and reached post cap. This story just sucks ass.

Actually, the first thing they did was Gideon threw her in jail.

But yea, they spooned in the same bed at one point. Gideon did his best to hide his raging hoplite.

So if Lili has Jace, and Chandra has Gideon, who does Nissa have?

emrakul trapped in a moon
or lesbo sex with bunny lady and fish lady

Honestly, the worldbuilding was good in the nineties, started going downhill after Tempest block, after the story changed hands and the original ideas were thrown out. They ended up pulling the plug on the Weatherlight Saga early, and then worldbuilding spiraled down until we hit Mirrodin and started planeshopping. The worlds got more interesting and better-developed as we continued, right up through Tarkir.

Then the Gatewatch happened, and they stopped caring about the worlds as anything other than backdrops.

I struggled through reading things starting with Battle for Zendikar, and more or less gave up reading the stories entirely after the first few weeks on Kaladesh. It was clear that we were on the plane simply because it was Chandra's home world, and the only reason they gave us to care about the rebellion was that Chandra's mother was leading it. Very few cards or stories conveyed any kind of real unfairness from the Consulate, other than their attempts to suppress a rebellion. It all just felt very staged, and staged solely so that Chandra could have her emotional moment.

I've more or less given up on Magic for now.

ashaya

Wait is Avacyn your waifu?

>Innistrad
Piggybacking on this

Did Nahiri get imprisoned in the Helvault thing? If so did she get released at the same time as Avecyn?
I've read some of the lore and it's unclear.

I know at one point she was on Innistrad and that crazy bitch called an Eldrazi to take revenge on Sorin Markov.

_no

How can you say no to that face?

Nahiri got thrown into the Helvault shortly after its creation, the same time that Avacyn got made by Sorin as well. The two tussled a bit, back before the Mending happened, so they were still nigh unkillable demigods. When the Helvault broke she was literally the last thing spit out of it, Mending stuff happened and she just ran away from Innistrad to try and heal.

Only she ran home to Zendikar and saw that the Eldrazi were roaming free and eating the plane. So she healed up just enough to not die once landing on Innistrad and started to go about luring Emrakul to the plane to have it eat Innistrad as revenge on Sorin.

Turns out her lure also drove Avacyn crazy and broke it free of Sorin's influence, which she took as a nice bonus.

Last we saw of her was sticking Sorin in a block of granite to watch Emrakul eat the plane and Planeswalk away to somewhere else.

Meh story.

>hurr she has a monkeysss!!!11
Why are people hype about it? Alse she seems like she doesn't shave.

Because reddit literally eats that shit up, they aren't even hiding the fact that they are marketing towards tumblr teens, she just missing a flower crown, and red nose, and some made up sexual orientation to make her a true tumblr OC.

At least jace was as annoyed to be in the story as I was when I read this shlock. I do wonder why jace is capable of getting motion sickness when he can handle having multiple viewpoints and thoughts simultaniously blasted into his consciousness.

>avacyn
>having hyrises

Thank you! I ask because I'm doing a roleplay thing that's set in Innistrad right as Lilian Vess arrives. And I want to fix things. And if possible not be consumed by an Eldrazi abomination.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDVE1DVzNnLTZNVkU/view

Right now my plan is to discretely disturb Nahiri's cryptoliths. So that Avacyn doesn't succumb to madness. And hopefully Emrakul doesn't come to eat everything.

If I ask Sorin Markov for help will he bite me or is he genuinely a good guy?

I believe you already know the answer.

>roleplay thing
no such thing as a M:tG TTRPG

Motion sickness is physical and primarily a result of your body confusing the signals it is getting from your inner ear, your eyes, other senses, and such. Unless Jace deliberately controlled said signals down to individual bones/organs (e.g. manipulating the sensations of his inner ear, internally), he could still suffer from it.

Shit, if he has to deal with multiple other consciousnesses and minds interacting, then he could well get it worse than others simply because he has so many extra senses by way of his telepathy.

she's indin, she doesn't do a poo in a loo and uses her left hand to wipe and her right to eat. Can you use your weak hand to wipe your ass?

Did you not read the fanfic tier story where gideon is giving chandra a hug because she's basically ded and nissa walks in and is sad because she

I think Emrakul approaching made Avacyn crazy. The cryptoliths just seemed to be a way to direct Emrakul to innistrad and Nahiri let Emrakul just do her thing.

someone post sauce that I'm wrong, otherwise I'm right

Right but without the cryptoliths the Eldrazi doesn't come. If it doesn't come Avacyn doesn't get corrupted.

>Tfw when Nahiri used to be your waifu
>Then WotC ruin her character
Life is suffering

But the cryptolith itself didn't do anything to avacyn AFAIK

I think the avacyn going crazy thing was from Nahiri twisting the mana of the plane so hard originally. Since angels are basically big people-shaped balls of white mana when the mana of innistrad started getting forced around the cryptoliths all the angels started freaking out, save the few that had inbuilt hexproof.

Then Emmy starts to show up and it gets even worse, because now not only do we have angels who are going haywire, we have haywire angels getting hijacked by eldrazi.

But if she doesn't get crazy she doesn't get sexy

Sure if you wanted to "fix" things (whatever that means) you'd have to destroy the cryptolith and prevent all manifestation of Eldrazi in the plane

I just skimmed the story, is this all right?

>Kari Zev is 15 years old and the leader of the derby crows, all more experienced and whatnot than her?
>Depala hangs out with pirates, but isn't a pirate?
>Jace reads Kari's mind, creates illusions of her fleet that skysovereign bopped?
>They steal aether and sell it to renegades successfully?

Is Avacyn like the other angels?
Why wasn't Sigarda affected when Bruna+Gisela became Brisela?
it really depends on what fix means. Is fix get rid of eldrazi? In 5-10 years when we return to innistrad again, will wotc just say that bcuz emrakul is in the moon innistrad is fine, lol, no worries?

I really like that Sigarda fights against delirium and protects you from Emrakul. A+. Original Sigarda also makes it so you don't have to sac things to original Emrakul.

A 15 year old can be menacing user.

Question: I am just starting to get back into Magic after about ten years (or more), and was curious if anyone remembered an old website devoted to Magic lore? It was phyrexia-"something."

It had images of the cars and went into detail on the lore. I doubt it is still around, but wouldn't mind pulling it up on the Internet Archive or something, for nostalgia.

Did anybody else notice the abundance of typos in this week's story? Is Ari Levitch just bad at the whole writing thing? I feel like this isn't a common occurrence.

Avacyn was made by Sorin back when oldwalkers were still demigods, and the other angels basically were forced to follow her lead because of how strong she was, even if they know she's not a normal angel.

Before Avacyn the strongest angels where Sigarda, Bruna, Gisela, and an unnamed fourth one (basically a BW Angel to complete that cycle of them). Avacyn shows up and then kills the BW Angel and all of her clique of angels for some reason (it's believed the BW angels were willing to work with vampires, devils, and werewolves if it meant keeping humans alive) because to Avacyn that's as bad as aiding them in killing humanity.

So Avacyn - by herself - killed a quarter of the angels on Innistrad. And then forced the rest of them to kneel to her. That's how strong she was. And that's why she got corrupted first by Nahiri's mana twisting cryptoliths.

This. He was never confirmed killed, just through into a portal. Maybe he buildt/conquererd his own Phyrexian plane.
He'd make a great villain and competitor to NU Phyrexia, being oldschool mono black.
If not that, they could still release him in a Commander Nostalgia set.

I figure sigarda wasn't affected because the according to the Art of Innistrad, the whole Host of Herons is all about warding and protective magic, especially in resisting curses/other malign magics. They managed to survive because they get free hexproof, as a natural part of being a G/W angel.

This really raises the question of what the hell the B/W host had back before Avacyn genocided them.

I'm still upset the BW Angel didn't come back in eldritch moon or shadows to be another "good guy" flight of angels.

supposubly avacyn killed that one

>No BW Angel.
>No Anje Falkenrath
>Ludevic doesn't get a card until months later, and its boring as hell.

God damn it Wizards.

Personally, I think the BW Angel pack had some form of reanimation (if we go along with GW angels being warding and protective magic, RW angels doubling damage dealt and halving damage taken, and UW angels dealing with enchantments). If I were to try and guess at the mechanic, probably something akin to Lingering Souls and Unburial Rites having Flashback.

Maybe the BW angel was straight up an angel with Reanimate a creature on attack, only now it's a spirit in addition to its other creature types.

I like that idea a lot. This probably also explains why they were more willing to work with demons and vampires. When you can bring back the dead, their predatory stuff is less of a problem.

It also fits with them being a naturally occurring angel flight in Innistrad Pre-Avacyn. Very valkyrie.

>revival doesn't exist in mtg
>especially in the two colors best at it

Hey, as far as plot ass-pulls go it's not that farfetched.

Sorin isn't a good guy. He just doesn't like people messing with his plane but he's an apathetic, amoral immortal.

So you liked her more when all she did was sleep buried underground?

You may be thinking of phyrexia.com. The forum had a great community for lore and some other random shit that went around. Some of the regulars fled to no goblins allowed, I think, and the site's been dying a slow death but its still there in all its 90s internet glory.

This was her character all along. We just hadn't seen it yet.

Not to mention said exterminated angels are the two colors best at revival magic.

How does this plot sound for when they eventually do Innistrad 3.0?

> Sigarda and her host are struggling to keep back the demons and vampires from finishing off humanity.
> Werewolves are trying to help out, but sometimes when they transform it's into eldritch abominations thanks to Emrakul still being in the moon.
> Desperate for aid, Thalia and her cathars locate an ancient spell and the grave site of the BW Angel and revive her, hoping that the angel can revive the other two hosts and recreate the angel hosts to help defend them.
> BW Angel comes back, sees all the shit that happened and starts to do that, but the spell goes wrong.
> Now you've got spirit versions of a lot of the last few blocks running around - spirit Avacyn, spirit Gisela, spirit Bruna, etc., and they're going ape shit at being around again.
> Somehow during all this, Sorin gets freed from his block of granite and is fucking pissed AND hungry.
> Second half of the block is basically the humans + properly revived angels vs. a horde of ghostly undead and spirit Avacyn looking to finish what she started, all the while Sorin's starting to gorge himself on anything that has blood so he can sate his hunger.
> Throughout all this. Emrakul's just sitting in the moon, munching on a bag of popcorn.

Return of mono black Sorin would be pretty sweet.

I like it, though we have to bring up the classic innistrad question.
>innistrad is all about horror tropes
>Innistrad one was classical horror, innistrad 2 was eldritch horror, what would innistrad 3 be?

Personally I'm thinking something along the lines of Existentialist Horror, considering the majority of the populace have just watched their god go crazy, get murdered, and then seen the world go mad as a giant squiddy thing tore holes in reality. Thats gotta fuck up your pseudo-victorian worldview a lot.

Is existential horror really a trope that gets used often in media the way gothic and eldritch are?

Isn't Emmy trapped in the moon now?