Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Molthune Knights decision time edition: How will you design your stronghold to hold of Nirmathas?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU (embed)

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing
Spheres of Might preview: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/

Old Thread:

I've always wondered what people like you do with your time.

>How will you design your stronghold to hold of Nirmathas?

Speaking of strongholds, what are you going to name your castle and why is Game of Thrones such an awesome source of material?

>Storm's End
>The Dreadfort
>The Red Keep
>The Twins
>The Eyrie

I still think "Oathkeeper" is one of the coolest names for a sword out there, alongside "Ice" and "Heartsbane."

Speaking of which, are there any craftsmen in Molthune Knights or RotJR that could forge some really nifty, named gear?

Pls no. Make it more general please

>Speaking of which, are there any craftsmen in Molthune Knights or RotJR that could forge some really nifty, named gear?
Isn't that what your followers are for?

>tfw no critiqueanon

>He doesn't forge his own gear

It's too late for his help now anyway.

>How will you design your stronghold to hold of Nirmathas?
Like a mage does. I have actually done a lot of theory for how a defensible fortress has to work in a setting with high magic. Has a lot to do with layers, proper enchantments, etc. It's expensive.

I'm around. Shoarn, right? Let me just give it a readthrough, see what I can do.

it's less about his help, and more that it's fun to see his critique

Nah, I'm just a random fag who liked seeing someone actually do an in-depth look at a character beyond "dude tits lmao" or "muh skill rolls"

Running a quasi-ROTRL game at work, wanting to implement a shadow lord template goblin in place of the 1st book baddies.

Think this might be too much?

Really? We've got tonight, tomorrow, Friday and Saturday to implement the advice he gives.

Hmmm, while the general is a bit too early than I would have liked, at least its not shit.

I was planning to make a general at page 8, but this one is sufficient, so I will acquiesce this, and wait for this general to run its course to post the next one.

Besides, at least I have an edition topic already for when that happens.

>possible names for my fortress
>Downspout
>Rag Keep
>Copper Keep
>Bronze Dawn
>Steppe of Tears
>Desmon's Stand
>Gutter Peak
>Windy Hall

>What you do is give a fly speed with a "must stay within 1 square of a surface or fall" clause and a "can't go more than 5 foot deep into a solid object" clause.
>I think both are included in some of the low-level quasi-incorporeal monsters in 3.5's Monster Manual V, if you want some inspiration.

I wish more people would do stuff using ideas from MM5. A lot of the monsters in that book were really cool!

For me it really depends where it's located. My character is pretty militaristic so they'd do what makes sense but castles don't make as much sense in open plains. "Amber fields of Molthune" implies we're set up somewhere in the farming areas.

> In general, a character can consume a number of alcoholic beverages equal to 1 plus double his Constitution modifier before being sickened for 1 hour equal to the number of drinks above this maximum.

So is this daily? Hourly? What? Is there a save to avoid being sickened? I mean Iron Liver's a thing so there should be, right?

Tell me a bit about your planned village, family and stronghold!

Hey CritiqueAnon, if you've got the time and get the chance, could you give Osanna a look?

Drug rules are dumb and unfinished is the answer, cocaine is the most deadly poison because drugs are bad, etc.

>cocaine is the most deadly poison because drugs are bad, etc.

>Implying 40 lbs of Cocaine injected directly up the nostrils won't kill you

Anybody have a certain area of Nirmathas in mind for their village? I was just planning to go with the flow if I got selected.

No, it would. The issue is the ability score damage from drugs have no save.

>Anybody have a certain area of Nirmathas in mind for their village?
>a certain area of Nirmathas
>Nirmathas
You want to be behind enemy lines and constantly dealing with a rebellion?

So if you're a Drunken Brute, Drunken Master, Buccaneer, or some other archetype that gets stuff from booze...what do you do?

Who /doesn't care if they get in anymore/ here?

Not drink too much.

user pls, at least wait until you are level 7 before you start thinking of conquering whole countries

Problem is it counts as a buff, not a poison, and bypasses immunities.

So you can literally be immune to all forms of intoxication and a couple of water balloons full of cocaine OD you in seconds.

Opium for instance is an injury drug that does 1d4 con/1d4 wisdom damage with no save. That's better than any poison period. It also costs less than all but the cheapest poisons at 25gp.

This is dumb.

I'd love to get into RotJR, but I'd be fine if I did not!

Somehow I got it into my mind that we'd be settling newly conquered areas along the border, but I can't find anything to back that up so I probably just imagined it. You may now ignore me.

If I had to place my own fort it'd probably be in that little strip of land between Backar Forest and the mountains there to watch for activity from Nidal as well as provide forays to the north toward Nirmathas. A bit out of the way for some supplies but probably not too bad.

I'm trying not to. But it's still going to hurt.

Since everyone's getting a village and not necessarily a castle, shouldn't the better question be, "What are you going to name your village?"

If I actually made the character I was thinking of, I would've named my village Icelington, aka "Iceling's Town" since that's the hypothetical character's last name.

How would you feel about reviewing apps to Dragon Game?

Spells that give Temporary HP:
>False Life
>Great False Life
>Vampiric Touch
>Aura of Cannibalism
>Death Knell
>Tentacles
>Enemy's Heart

So a lot of these are not worth it. What besides False Life is worth it? Also what spells am I missing?

It won't hurt if you abandon all aspirations now lads.

I play Pathfinder with my friends, I never cared.

Well the last request I had was Shoarn, so we're gonna do Shoarn.

Shoarn Akkiv

Shoarn is the mysterious stranger, invoked. Now this sort of character has a few aspects. They have unrevealed powers, a reason to keep them hidden, and a character trait that will eventually drive them to reveal themselves. Unrevealed powers is confirmed, as Shoarn's description is focused on how she's kept herself hidden. The character trait is there, she's protective of her community. So far so good, and Shoarn is a well put together mysterious stranger.

The problem comes when we try to figure out why she keeps herself hidden. Now the backstory /says/ that it's because Varisians are prejudiced against Shoanti, but the thing is that as she moved away from Kaer Maga and Korvosa that attitude would have faded. This is a rather large problem, since without a legitimate reason to keep herself hidden the mysterious stranger falls apart.

Now this isn't the worst thing in the world, and there's a really easy way out, simply by removing the line about how she moved deeper into civilized lands as she traveled away from Kaer Maga, and substituting it with something along the lines of 'once burnt, twice cautious.'

She's got some nice depth of personality, with her hatred of prophecy promising some interesting returns. Though I have to wonder about hating icons of other people. Is it draconic vanity? It's not entirely clear why that sort of thing irritates her, though it is another trait, and something that can be built off of.

Shoarn has a /long/ story, and it's organized a bit strangely. I can tell that there's something good there, but it's a bit muddied by some other factors, making this a difficult one to pick through. Like most of the backstories I've looked at, at the end of the day, it's good.

I have a backlog of characters to look at. Shoarn's done, and I'll work my way through to Osanna.

I've got no interest in the Dragon Game, sorry.

I don't know what they do in their spare time but I know what they don't do: make weird random changes in the game because they want trannies to be completely equal and accepted but don't want to give up "muh struggle" because otherwise they wouldn't have any reason to hate people who aren't insane.

>I've got no interest in the Dragon Game, sorry.
Aw, I was hoping you'd be up for it in an educational sense, but you're just trying to make RotJR better then?

>warders dont get access to the cooler disciplines of PoW:E
>have to take an archetype to do so
>stuck with eternal guardian and piercing thunder

Gareth why ;_;

The problem is that Dragon Game, and Molthune Knights, and Fluffy Tail all have very different ideas of what character traits make a good character, and I'm not really interested in those types of characters.

Amandia's next.

If he's not already on there, might I ask to add Rubio to the qeue? I'm wondering what I can do to smooth him out in these last days, or at least refine him for future use.

Well, here's to hoping that someone else steps up to fill your shoes for Dragongame

judge

dierdre

Out of curiosity, how deep are you going here for these reviews? Are you just skimming the post on the forums, or are you peeking into the character sheets too to take into account the stuff on there? Not like, character build, but smaller details like a character's age?

Because Eternal Guardian and Piercing Thunder mesh well with the core themes and mechanics out of hand?
Admit that you want a part of the power creep, user.

No I just think the other disciplines are more interesting than "hey i can scare you real gud".

A bit of a rant here:

It sucks DMing because I have to tone down my own powergaming for the sake of my group not hating me. I was re-writing an NPC boss fight for one of the adventure paths and I scrapped it because it had an AC of 40 versus a group of level 9 players.

Spoiler since at least one of my players is a fa/tg/uy (that means you, Myles) stone giants get crazy ACs with even a slight bit of optimization, the NPC in question already has an AC of 30 even with Paizo's shitty optimization)

Hmm. In criticism of your criticism, keeping hidden might be habitual at this point, distancing oneself from strangers. Kind of like how Aragon goes by strider still around Rivendell even though everyone knows who he is, I think the strider bit is mainly used when he's working with Gondorians. I could be wrong though, I don't know much about LOTR lore.

Soon! But that soon!

Added. Amandia, Casimir, Gil, Ossana, Rubio.
Here's to hoping someone decides to do a review of any character. I welcome it.
From HV? Nah.
I take a quick look, but not that much. For example, I know that Shoarn is a tiefling, but I didn't realize that Jan had pyrotechnics or that Kyler had the Chosen One trait.

It's fine if it's habitual, but there's no prejudice against Shoanti around Sandpoint, so the idea that she's hidden so as not to become a target due to her race doesn't ring true, and that's one of the pillars of her character.

>Amandia, Casimir, Gil, Ossana, Rubio

Ooh! Good list of characters to break apart!

why not?

Might as well join the club and ask for your thoughts on Valeriya. Thanks for doing this, kind user.

/pfg/, i need some help building a character. I am going Arcanist and we are adding mythic to the adventure. I am still toiling around race, probably periblooded aasimar. Our gm has allowed a free vmc. Let's assume 25 point buy as well. And is allowing leadership.
My gm has recommended that i should go either magus vmc or sorcerer vmc, but i was wondering what archetype should i run, vmc i should take, what feats should i look into, and what should my cohort be? If sorcerer vmc what are some recommended bloodlines i should look into. Keep in mind that we are running a good campaign so twiligt sage is out based on the evil abilities it has. No 33p.

Magus VMC won't do you well as a half BaB class. Sorcerer VMC can be interesting.

I suggest Oracle instead however.

Amandia

The Good) Like a lot of other characters Amandia is given a lot of room to grow, in this case explicitly, since she's not familiar with the world around her. As always, not locking your character in to a set path is a good idea.
The Great) Amandia is a fairy tale character. She's idealized and idealistic, and if that aspect is played up then that is a /huge/ strength. Her backstory starts with 'Once upon a time,' and even though it doesn't keep that mood and definitely gives me a better idea of what to look for.
The Bad) Amandia isn't stupid. Yes she's childlike, but she's been around for 3 years, two of which have been spent searching around for a 'cure' for her father. It weakens her character to imagine that after that time she still doesn't understand what death is, given that it's been explained to her. If she had avoided that knowledge then maybe, but there's no mention of this.
The Weird) The hook with the Technic League. I understand they're a power in Numeria, but if the Technic League is searching for her Alchemical-Anima Engine then I'd imagine that they'd have encountered her at some point during her search for a doctor.

Amandia's strength lies in her simplistic view of the world. The problem is that simple doesn't always mean dumb, and it doesn't mean saccharine. Fairy tales are for children, but they're surprisingly dark, and for Amandia to be a fairy tale character she has to acknowledge both sides of the coin.

Hey /pfg/, I'm working on a remake of the Armorist, and am in need of good art for it.

Anyone got anything that can work?

How well received would an Elder Scrolls game with homebrewed races be to /pfg/ if someone was interested in running it?

What's the strongest thing to summon off the Summon Monster II table?

Perhaps the addition of a couple sentences could state or imply she's in denial, still trying to find a way to get him "cured" but acknowledging privately that he's dead.

>Elderscrolls
>PF
PErsonally, I'd say you're better off using the UESRPG instead of Pathfinder.

Also, TES and Homebrew races do not mix well

>running it

Not so much. Playing in it. Sure. But there is a UESRPG

I've been out of the loop for a bit? What's spheres of might supposed to be, more '5e martial dice' than path of war?

I'm unfamiliar with 5e martial dice, but I'd say it reminds me of a more free-form version of the Morrowind skills system, mixed with SoP type utility

>not being able to get around an AC of 40 at level 9

How sad and low energy.

>want to ask critiqueanon to look at both my molthune and RotJR character
>He has too much work now too look at them before the apps close/are decided
>I probably wouldn't change anything anyways, and don't want to shill my "literallywho" characters anymore, since that tends to backfire and just result in hate.

Oh my god, I hate how longer-lived races are handled in most of D&D. Especially planetouched like tieflings or aasimars. Having angel blood apparently means you have to spend 20 years in diapers and suffer from learning disability!

>Confirming that Amandia is a precious cinnamon bun that needs to be daughtered by the party

Cute!

Is this a DDS thing, or a homebrew thing?

At least your posted yours. I've been working on my for months and nothing I write seems to turn out right. Times winding down and I'm considering just throwing in the towel.

Being the only one that has built in fear effects and takes advantage of Intimidate is not a knock against it, and it allows you to replace feats with maneuvers on top of a host of defensive benefits.
What exactly are you looking for, besides a bunch of broken effects or crass bonuses.

Jesus Christ just ask dude. You literally just have to post a name and I'll at least try to get around to it.

I like the interpretation of aasimar/tieflings where "you advance as your parent race, but stop physically aging once you reach adulthood and instead use the aasimar/tiefling chart". It lets you play your 20 year old demon-blooded action hero or your tired 90 year old ex-mercenary without any trouble.

Of course, there will always be that autist who shoves "BUT IT WAS ERRATA'D TO BE THIIIIIS" instead, where "this" means "it doesn't matter the parent race, you age like humans/half-elves".

>tfw want to ask critiqueanon
>tfw don't want to summon witch hunter
I should just make a new roll20 account so I go back to being anonymous on roll20.

Ah I do have that but I haven't read it in detail. Maybe when I get home from work I'll post the google doc I had for the homebrewed races. Admittedly several need adjustment but I'd like the feedback.

I feel the same way about my RotJR character. I have too many ideas and they all jam together fighting to get out. I think I just dont want to play in the lewd campaign.

CritiqueAnon has already stated he's not particularly interested in analysis of Molthune Knights characters (and player choices are expected to be made today so that one is a moot point).

Shoarn's player here. Thank you for your time and well-articulated response.

I can identify a couple of factors as to why the formatting is so weird, I'll keep a lookout for those sorts of things in the future as well as work on keeping myself succinct. It seems as though running my mouth made her reasoning slip through the cracks. She's so secretive in Sandpoint not (entirely) because of racial animosity, but rather because she doesn't want people to diminish her accomplishments à la "Wow, who managed to pull that off? Oh, well of course a Shoanti would know how to break in an unruly horse! That's not as impressive as I thought after all."

On the bright side, now that you've managed to slog through all of that the other critiques should seem pleasantly quick by comparison.

That could be fun; go on some adventures, get involved in guild or government politics, make a special friend or two.

I don't think I care about my apps enough to ask more of people after I've posted them. It's nicer for me to not worry about them anymore and just wait for the decisions to be made.

You can always pretend to be new! Yay user!

I would give it a read, TES is one of my favorites.

But you still have old assimar/tiefling training rates IIRC. Which is even more stupid.

Like I can see the idea for the character in my head, personality and background are more or less clear. But it just feels awful when I write it all down. I either sell everything short or write way too much.

I'm not looking for anything. I'm just saying that the discipline that lets you channel lightning into your blade or lets you rewind time is much cooler than eternal guardian.

What is the closest in Pathfinder to a 5e Warlock?

SoP
It specializes in conjuring magical arms and armor, using them and sharing them with allies. LAst thread we talked about the class's problems and how weak it is compared to other similar classes, so I've decided to make my own homebrew remake of it.

If you want a good analogy of what it is and what it can do, think of it like Noctis from FFXV or Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail (which is trash by the way). It also has archetpyes that allow you to do things like Gate of Babylon, Nanomachines Son, or get a Buster Cannon.

Pick 5 things about your character and make them into bullet points. Then give each point one or two sentences only.

>Pick 5 things about your character and make them into bullet points. Then give each point one or two sentences only.
Tried that. Ended up short selling too much stuff/didn't have good "flow" to me.

The Avowed, a 3rd party class currently in Playtesting.

We'll I was thinking of giving it the typical game start except all the players are either slaves or prisoners and they're released/escape together.

Oh my god, I hate how longer-lived races are handled in real life. Especially humans. Standing on only two legs apparently means you have to spend a few years in diapers and suffer from learning disability!

I seriously appreciate the critique, boss. Considering that I've had so little commentary on this means that I've been just waiting for anyone to say something, and yet having to keep myself from whoring out like the other meme characters.

>Personal denial over father's death
It's been an element I've been trying to reconcile myself, considering how impractical/impossible it'd be for a sick person to hold on for over a year while a doctor looks for a cure. It comes down to a question of how do I exactly explain the concept of death as permanent. As I've had it so far, I just explained death as "broken, but possible to repair and turn on".

>Technic League link
I admit, this was a late link, and honestly not as massive a hook as it probably looks. I don't really know how one'd come across the ability to fix androids without mentioning them at least once. As for why she never went east and wandered into some parallel-universe Iron Gods game? Er... all I can think of right now is that he said "don't go east" or something of the like. And why they haven't hunted her down before? I just...said she lived too far for anyone to pursue and the old man covered his tracks too well.

Does it sound kinda hasty? It is, I'm still trying to get used to some of the lore on Golarion and I'm open for any alternatives.

Would it be too out there for a Changeling to be "in contact" with their Hag mother, even though they didn't answer "the call" and become a Hag themselves?

Try 6 or 7? Maybe give it to someone else to read? A second perspective is always helpful.