WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

Limited edition edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

Other urls found in this thread:

victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/greatcoat-legs-mk1-x5-male
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/great-coat-legs-kneeling-mk1
dragonforge.com/Painting service/for sale/sculpting_supplies.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Starting off with the first of my GSC Neophyte guardsmen. They're fluffed in my head as the contracted security force for the mines/industrial sectors where the rest of the Cult lives. The rest of the cult will get the 4-armed emperor scheme, more or less.

Any thoughts or tips?

I like the scheme. The weathered stripe on the shoulder pad is cool. I think I'd maybe try to highlight the grey a bit more but it looks pretty nice as it is. How are you gonna paint the more severely mutated guys?

Paint looks very good but you could crop your photos more. I'd also base your dudes a little more forward.

Thanks! I see what you mean about the grey highlight, my ulthuan grey went all chalky and made getting consistent highlights a bit wonky.

The more mutated dudes will get a scheme closer to the box art, but with the same teal/green instead of blue fatigues

It was a quick crop job, but at least it's under a mb haha

I had originally planned on rebasing them all with sector imperialis bases I painted up, but I think I'll dedicate those to the other neophyte models.

Reposting to answer a question for user from the last thread.

The Torso and arms and just Cadian
Head is Skitarii Vanguard
The Legs are from Victoria Miniatures: victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/greatcoat-legs-mk1-x5-male
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/great-coat-legs-kneeling-mk1
The backpack is green stuff, styrene tube, cadian bits, and pewter cast guitar wire from Dragon Forge because it is so much easier to work with.
dragonforge.com/Painting service/for sale/sculpting_supplies.htm

Very nice, did you freehand the designs on the armor?

Worn 'n scratched, or thick and rusty?

Made a little collage of my current wips to save spamming the thread with all my shit.

I'm not sure whether I should paint the shoulders of the warriors to match the theme or just leave them a dirty silver. I was originally going for a basic pint job for them hence the very minimal colours.

I think you need some blue on them somewhere just to tie them in to the rest of the army. Maybe the center of their chests or something

I did my nihilahk warriors with gold shoulders/forehead and a blue stripe down the forehead. It's pretty simple and makes then look way better IMO

You could also fancy up their guns with some gold, maybe on the coil part.

The nihilahk dynasty is known for flaunting their wealth, so show it off!

That looks beautiful.
Could you give us a quick rundown of that armor please?

How should I base my chaplain? Something fluffy for Imperial Fists. Is marble things too Ultramarine?

So many spider legs, so little time

Who protects earth and the imperial palace?
What's that entire building made of?

You should base your miniature the same as the rest of your force.

good luck getting those things to actually fit on a base.

What are those?

Just got done putting the base coat of black on my first Deldar, but I'm not sure which color scheme to go with. I'm leaning towards the green simply because I haven't used them yet, but I usually try to do something other than the poster children colors, though I do like the green with them.

Also, how do I highlight up from black? The darkest grey I have is Eshin.

Fuck me. God damn it.

Malifaux Jorgumo

I feel this. I like to be special and "my dudes" a lot with minis, but after a lot of thinking and looking around just went with the stock colors (with minor changes) for my DE because I really do like them the best.

First time modeling/painting, only had metallic citadel paints, the blue wash and some shitty walmart colors I used for details.
R8, H8, Dliber8, criticism helps

I am planning on copping out and using cork.

That one of your guys is killing a golden demon is poetic, in a way.

Get some real paints, base your miniatures, try again.

Coming along. Mostly just touch ups and staff bits now.

Those skulls are a bit too blue for my liking

Got these two for a steal, in person they were not quite as well put together as I would have liked but it's not too bad, I'm just going to do cleaning and minor greenstuff work.

I've posted my Russ and 2 Chimeras recently and they'll be posted in the same Army Painter Imperial Grey, with a pale yellow dazzle scheme.

this made me realize ive still got one of these half painted from when i started out the hobby
it looks like trash and i dont think i can probably greenstuff it ;-;

Yea, I might just end up doing that. They picked a good one.

Are you ready to experience tranquility /wip/?

whaddya mean?

i got a mortarch from when AoS first dropped and its really poorly painted. took me half a month to paint all the bones rakarth + ushabti bone and none of it is thinned

i still need to finish painting the tank commander and clean up details, but my leman russ is almost finished, sorry for the shit quality and the file size.

what do you think about it, /wip/?

Finished Aeslin, she's turned out way too shiny and i'm not really happy with anything except the skin.
I'm trying to get ready for a tournament in February and i've got loads more stuff to get done but I think I'll be repainting her in the future.

They're certainly tournament ready IMO, but I agree that there's more to be done on some of them, just pushing the highlights on your greeny bark into the greys would help a lot.

OTOH, you've made me want to buy this box.

really nice looking weathering and I like colors you've used, but that camo just looks majorly shit - sloppy,uneven, thick, the whole deal. perhaps "realistic" to some sort of imagined hasty field modification on the part of a non-art trained tank crew, but it really drags the model down

Camo is far too symmetrical

Any ideas for alternate tank models? I know a 1/35 Char B1b or KV-2 would make a good Leman Russ, I might be able to use a Char 2c or MKIV Tank with a turret as some type of superheavy, but are there any good stand-ins for Malcadors, Machariuses, Valdors, or Baneblades?

I want to build my own own gaming board /WIP/, where should I start?

My minis have basing similar to Mars, though there's vegetation. I was thinking having it like the outskirts of a city or settlement, with the outside of the board with vegetation and desert, getting more populated with buildings as we move in

A little more chipping on the grey armour but I really like the colours you've got.

Im building my Kroot Shaper, what CSM warband should i paint his trophy Chainsword and Warp Talon Shoulderpad? Was thinking just Black Legion, but shall we let first dubs decide?

Not MY dubs, damn it all.

Space wolves

I need your help anons, I am working on a Bad Moons Ork army, and need a good idea of what colors to use for the yellow, including highlights/dry brushes, from the citadel line of paints.

>hull mounted plasma cannon
Is that legal?

If it wouldnt stand out so much on ny albino Kroot, I'd say fuck it and go with this, i still might honestly.

>hasty field modification
i would say that is the idea, as i copied pea dot patterns applied by the german crews in russia, but that would be borderline "i was pretending to be retarded.jpg"

what if i do some chipping on the dots? to make it appear it was too thick and stuff like that, would that make it appear more like it was painted on the battlefield?

Thanks. It's the first of many, I hope to get the technique down better

Night Lords

do you have some pictures of the actual camo you've based this on? my feeling is that the "peas" are way too large and spread out, and the camo pattern underneath is wonky too

> my feeling is that the "peas" are way too large and spread

you are right user.

i hope i can fix this camo without stripping the paint, there is like a ton of weathering on it and it would be a shame to remove it.

Airbrush the citadel ones, start with averland sunset, Yriel and then flashgitz

Well I agree that you should strip and retry with actual citadelĀ© brand citadelĀ© paints, but more importantly it appears that you left the hazard stripes off. There are many ways to do them and I personally use a very fine tipped permanent marker over yellow, but many people either use thin masking tape or have good brush control. I would recommend following thing guide for painting your dudes.

This was my first necron. What do yall think? (I know about the little spot of red on the eye socket, will fix it when I get home from work )

Also, sorry for it being sideways. My phone seems to rotate my pics for some reason ...

Looks neat. Very contrasting silver/black. I've never played Necron; does the green tube come with the sets, or is it a piece of LEGO like I keep thinking it is?

also scale and rotate your images please

The tube comes with the set, and I would scale and rotate, but I'm on mobile and posting from work... can't do anything about it at the moment, unfortunately

Bullshit, I scale and rotate images on my phone easily. Get a free photo editing app for next time.

No need to get pissy about it, man. He probably didn't know about that.

Just stopped at my FLGS a few hours ago - new store and I haven't been anywhere that stocks Citadel in ages.

The new pots look pretty terrible desu.

Also, they were out of Nuln Oil... so, I didn't buy anything. Next week I'll grab some (whenever they get a paint restock) and some Agrax Earthshade.

Are there other brands with comparable products to these two in particular?

Calm down autist

Cool. Is it loose or does it come on a sprue? I might need to ask my friend for some of his sprues when he gets a set if so, I've always loved that green colour.

Army Painter Quickshade Inks.
Specifically their Dark Tone (as Nuln Oil replacement) and Strong Tone (as Agrax replacement).
Nearly identical behaviour and look to the previous set of GW washes, namely Babab Black and Devlan Mud.

And get the Inks, not the dipping pots, very different products.

It comes on a sprue. It's a bit more brittle than the standard plastic, though, so be careful when you're cleaning it up. I only removed excess plastic from the ends so it would fit properly. Just rotate it so the connection sprue is hidden underneath.

Thanks. I'll have a look next time I'm over there.

Trying to piece together a Techmarine with Primarch's Wrath (Relic Bolter) as I get tired of characters wielding a weapon in each hand.

How should I make it stand out from the rest of my army's (metal coloured)? I guess gold is a natural selection as it features in my army alongside black and silver but I'd like to hear unique views.

So, I know that the general consensus is that GW's Citadel paints are pretty "eh", especially for the price tag, but is there anything in their product catalog that's worth getting? Base coat sprays? Specific washes? I'm looking to get back into the hobby later this year and I'd like to start putting together a list of what to get and where.

A lot of citadel paints are good, the pots are bad sure but there's nothing wrong with the paint.

update for the leman russ camo.

does it looks a bit better now?

The Washes are excellent and the Technicals are generally considered good.
And GWs metallic paints are still among the best if you're brush painting.

nun oil, reikland fleshshade/agrax earthshade, and liquid green stuff are used by a large number of diorama and model armour enthusiasts i know

are those tank tracks on the cupola as ablative armour? i love it

Washes and technicals mostly. The rest is whatever.

Are there any companies that make smaller track guards for russes and chimeras?

washes, metallics, glazes, technicals. The rest aren't 'eh' but I prefer vallejo unless theres a color that only GW has.

Looks good, contrast is sharp and the highlights look cleanly done. Have you considered how you're going to base it yet?

Modelsandminis ?

Don't get citadel's leadbelcher, I found out vallejo airbrush gunmetal is way better

Do you want to become skilled at painting regularly then go a head. If you're just trying to put together a modest army to play with then just stick with GW's paints. You'll save yourself time and effort and if you're buying the paints once you're only going to be saving pennies.

>tfw accidentally assembled two (2) Corvus marines with Maximus chest armor

Almost twenty years in the hobby and I managed to get it wrong twice.

Finally finished with this guy. Still need to paint the Volkite Blaster, but that one's still waiting for its green stuff to dry and I don't run it anyway.

I know the white is really fucking thick on the robe, but I tried some new stuff and it kind of worked and kind of didn't. Same goes for the Eradicator Ray, but I really cant be arsed right now to fix that.

Throw in some feedback if you feel like it.

I really need to get myself a lightbox of some kind. Taking a not-awful picture is incredibly hard.

First ever finished mini, i think i screwed up... ;-;

I tried basing with Astrogranite Debris, but i literally have no idea how to make it look good

your mini looks fine, and great for a first model.
with the granite, let it dry, then give it a wash with agrax, or nuln oil, or whatever colour you want it to be. when that's dry, drybrush it with screaming skull or another off-white, you'll get something like this.

do i need to lay it on thicker?

Is there any advantage to buying GW's expensive brushes or can you get something just as good from an art store?

Gonna be stripping my space marines that I had painted (several times) since 2007. Seeing as they are 100% plastic, two squads of which are second edition marine plastics, I am going to be using simple green. No green stuff, no pewter. Just 100% terrible paint job, several layers of paint and bad life choices. And seeing as simple green is fine for plastics, I thought I'd use it.

That said, any tips? I've also got a brush prepared to scrub the sons of bitches hard. I plan on doing it one squad at a time and organizing their bitz (I've heard simple green melts super glue after a week. Fucking good.) in a container for each squad.

this looks much more "to scale" and is a big improvement!

I should also add, some of them have at least two-three layers of paint, the newer ones aren't even primed. I'm guessing it'll be an easy though long process.

it looks fine, but maybe take it off the rim, that makes it look a bit untidy, but thats just preference. really, you just put it on as much as you like. if you have any, maybe put in some small rocks or things as detail.

the base is neat, and I like the blue glazing on the armor. the white/cream looks THICC and chalky, washes in some spots pooled too much and look shitty (axe, servo skull, plasma coil, etc)

How do you all keep your brushes clean?
I've been away from painting and playing for a year and just cracked out my brushes and they're fucking caked in red paint (spot the Khorne fag). Tried cleaning them in nail polish remover and it ain't getting rid of the toughest paint

after using them rinse them and wipe on a paper towel until i cant see a trace of colour

rinse them all in a brush soap every few weeks
its more about prevention i think

How is one supposed to use inks? Just water them down?
I've used some Vallejo inks in the past and they seem to have waaay more pigment than a regular wash does.