/osrg/ OSR General - Enough Memes Edition

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, free RPGs, a vast Trove of treasure!
pastebin.com/0pQPRLfM

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pdDGPnttFb5X2WuDHR8fbk_xLM0i50q3nnWQYdCHmAE/edit?usp=sharing
smileylich.com/dnd/collective/
youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please consider submitting to the /OSRG/ fanzine.

I ALREADY SENT YOU SOMETHING YOU PRICK STOP ASKING AND POST IT ALREADY REEEEEE

What's OSR's favorite way to spice up a low level dungeon crawl?

Weird enemies?

Monsters too high level for the party in compromising places, making them a potentially fair challenge?

Lots of monster and creature factions (Gnolls vs Goblins vs Kobold vs Orcs vs Drow)?

Lots of weak and situation but occasionally useful magic or interesting items? (single match that can be lit once even if wet, mirror that lets you see around corners)?

Item that lets you get a taste of high level power (ie; potion that grants you +5 character levels for 3 exploration turns, then fades)?

Just listing ideas.

Was the stuff in issue 1 "the best of our submissions" or "all that we have"? Because issue 1 is kinda shit m8 and I'd hate to have my name included with those guys.

Reposting this list of music for DMs from the last thread.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pdDGPnttFb5X2WuDHR8fbk_xLM0i50q3nnWQYdCHmAE/edit?usp=sharing

>the fuck kind of selection is this
Well I don't actually play any music when I run games myself. It would need someone who does to really give it a boost.

>So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.
That's what my blog is for, silly.

Monsterless (or near monsterless) dungeon(s).

>So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.

I'd hate to brag, but I produce all of my content myself and have been posting it ITT for a long time. I also really enjoy the thanks and positive feedback I get, makes me all warm and tingly!

I really enjoy the atmosphere and creative energy that flows so freely when working with OSR.

>my name

So submit anonymously. You can't be tarnished by association when nobody knows it's you.

>You can't be tarnished by association when nobody knows it's you.

But I'll know it's me.

>What's OSR's favorite way to spice up a low level dungeon crawl?
Factions.

Traps that can be avoided, and secret areas that can be found, by clever mapping

Dead parties of schmucks, or just single bodies, marking one or two really nasty things. Works best if the corpses have been gnawed upon.

A remnant of a party or a prisoner or two, with a class level and an agenda. When someone dies, you can do one of two things: 1) hand off the prisoner to them when the party reaches them, and give them the agenda card. Character gets bonus EXP to new character for role-playing well.
2) If the party hasn't reached the prisoner location yet, and the player finishes rolling up one, either replace the prisoner or have the new character be there as well (with their equipment in the same place as the prisoner's).

At least one atmospheric, cool-ass room. could be a crystal-encrusted wall like in "Journey to the Center of the Earth (1958)", or the Mushroom Forest and Room of Pools in B1.

Tarps that deprive the party of something other than HP/characters. Sleeping gas, paralytic poison, incredibly irritating noise that drives away wandering monsters with ears, but gives you a -2 to all rolls while it's going off, a zone that spoils or contaminates food or oil, that sort of thing.

At least one bear or other big, mean, dumb critter that's just hungry or in pain, rather than a "monster" per se. Slimes and oozes also fit in this category rather nicely, depending on your tastes. Something that's not safe to engage, but that you can avoid or mollify for a bit by sacrificing resources.

And you can be happy that yours is the best contribution, and you showed all those suckers how it's done.

This is all assuming that your contributions' worth actually matches your ego

There's not enough content to do anything with it yet.

I'm pretty sure it had to do with only a small amount of content being submitted.

Has anyone played Tales of the Space Princess? Is it any good? I'm looking at the rules and it looks pretty fun

>I really enjoy the atmosphere and creative energy that flows so freely when working with OSR.
Man, this is EXACTLY why I want to get back into running OSR stuff. I love brainstorming cool shit to stock my dungeons and wilderness hexes.

I'm currently tossing around a little old-school D&D homebrew project and hoping I can get some players sufficiently interested to try it out, but I'm sad to admit that I've never had the chance to seriously run OD&D or any of its retroclones. The closest I've come to OSR was a heavily modified Pathfinder campaign :'(.

Yeah, guy. Show us your cool stuff! I wanna see!

Alright, here: smileylich.com/dnd/collective/

Since it seems like this thread is kind of dead, I'll post my big project.

50 Classes. None of them are balanced at all, I'd imagine. Don't even assume so. Hope you enjoy it.

Should I put magical railroads in my OSR game for a Wild West feel?

sounds like a good idea to me

kinda disgusting

neat, always a fan of new class concepts(still want to make a game someday that uses the entirety of this image's idea)

I don't care if it's not balance, the fact you made them so simple and short is amazing, I might evn use this someday

Rolled 6 (1d50)

Wow, name level Sticks to Snakes Men are really, really good.

Rolled 28 (1d50)

Sacrifice is real fucking neato, I may steal that concept.

TEN (10) out a' 10.

That's actually what I was basing it off of originally, but I decided to go with my own thing. Honestly that triangle is still a tempting project but 50 classes was fucking hard, much less 100 with very similar roles.

I mean really how are you supposed to even differentiate a Thief and Highwayman? You gotta do Wizard/Sorc/Warlock/Witch AND a shit ton of others too? Good lord

I'll admit one thing I was going to do to make it easier was to have at least a third of them end up as Racial Classes(maybe even half or 2/3rds or possibly even 3/4 of them if I include enough races), so you'd have an Elvish Arcane Archer, or a Kobold Trap-Master, to give a couple examples

Are you the same guy who does all of the 50 random whatever lists? And are they all somewhere easily accessible?

this

>I'm pretty sure it had to do with only a small amount of content being submitted.
that's no excuse. just make it 4 pages if you have to, better than low standards.

Fuck you, I thought it was fine and I'd rather have a decent zine than let random assholes shit on everything that's not up to their standards until there's nothing left.
If you want better content, submit it.

>During your adventures, you will have the chance
to find or purchase larger shells.

>fine
>decent

A telling choice of words.

Nothing good ever comes out of your attitude. Inclusivity, democracy, etc. are antithetical to good art. This isn't reddit, I'm not going to lie to protect your feelings just because I want to 'support the community'.

Was it all fantastic? Not really, but even if it was, I'd expect somebody to shit on it anyway. There's no point listening to random assholes like you, you guys are a dime a dozen and you never accomplish anything worthwhile.

Hey guys, I have a question. Should I keep on fleshing out the worldbuilding and lore of the entire setting for consistency's sake, or should I finish up the other parts later and use the stuff I have now for planning sessions and quests?

You know, I was actually thinking of contributing but your attitude is a major turn-off.

The less you do beyond bare minimum, the less you'll have to redo down the line.

Just worry about what you need immediately.

SURE you were.

>Are the guy who
yes.
>Are they all somewhere
Working on it.

If you could pull your head out of your cunt for just a moment...

So you were just thinking about contributing, but then I said "hey, cut that out, don't shit on the people who contributed" and now you don't want to do it anymore, huh? That sounds like normal human behavior.

youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4

I'm and not
Yes, I was actually considering contributing because your constant begging tugged at my heartstrings.

Then I read issue 1 and saw the garbage in it. Then I posted Now I see that you, the guy BEGGING every thread for content, have literally no quality standards and you're oversensitive.

So I don't want to be associated with your shitty contributors, with you, or your zine.

Now go beg for content somewhere else.

>you guys are a dime a dozen and you never accomplish anything worthwhile.
kind of like your garbage zine. step down

I'm not the zine guy, I'm just sick of idiots who just shit all over everything other people do.
And if you're that first guy, then maybe they don't need your contributions, because if that webpage is your idea of quality, then you're a massive sperg with no taste and no self awareness.

Is if recommended to use a hexmap for ACKS or can I just used a standard square grid?

For overland? A hex is better for irregular terrain, but you I think could use a square grid if you really wanted.

>he fell for the webpage ruse

wew

>I'm not the zine guy, I'm just sick of idiots who just shit all over everything other people do.

I see now, you're one of the contributors who's assblasted about being called out. Which article did you right? The one with the edgy apes who shit down people's throats? Or maybe the one with the elfaboo troll? C'mon, spill the beans.

>Which article did you right?

What did he mean by this?

I fucking love this guy. His SFB stuff is offline because ADB are idiots, but it's on archive.org, and it's equally nonsensical bullshit that he has fun with.

>big list of copied tables
Yeah, you're right it's awful and you shouldn't submit anything.

>Lefting an article.
gj

>fell for the webpage ruse

So yeah, you haven't even created that crap, you're just an all-around useless piece of shit. I guess that's not surprising.

No, I haven't contributed anything to TrollGods. I do have a couple of projects I may share with Veeky Forums soon, but being reminded that whatever you do, some idiot's going to shit all over it is discouraging.
Veeky Forums used to be proof that you could have anonymity and the honesty that came with it without everyone being assholes all the time, but that seems like it was a long time ago now. It's no wonder people are leaving.

Lomion can't hang with these skills.

I hunger for more 50 things or encounter requests.

Mystical, Magical, Mad Peddlers of The Most Strange Wares.

Many are currently in the Trove under "_Inbox" > "Encounter user".

What's with all the assholes in /osr/ lately? Or is it just one big asshole? Because /osr/ used to be a pretty chill place.

Why are you giving them attention?

Mountain pass encounters
50 strange insect hives

50 Witch covens/cults

Seemingly useless magic items.

No clue. It is seeming more aggressive lately. Unfortunate really.

Edgelord is fantastic, so are others. Ten out of frigging 10.

The Dragonborn (44) is the coolest Dragonborn I've seen. Those Hoard retirements would get so high so quickly, I don't even think it's too strong/overpowered.

Not the D50 guy, but I worked up some. Sample -

9: Sorority of the Sightless Tower
Sign: Each woman has cataracts which grow and wane with the moon
Coven Spell: Howl of the Moon
Gather below-ground, in an excavated, ancient broch. They fear war, secretly arming the peasantry

10: Bejeweled Nocturnal Investiture
Sign: Members of the coven may not cover their hair or faces.
Coven Spell: Animated Artwork
The witch-artistes of the Investiture craft stunning works of art and bestow them upon their faithful. They have a network of spies, and witch-hunters find themselves too often on the wrong end of an auto-de-fe.

11: Interrogatrixes of the Cherubic Square
Sign: Must sleep facing to the West.
Coven Spell: Contact Outer Spheres (Fomalhaut)
Consider wizardry a corruption of the true order of magic. They seek to poison the Winds of Chaos and topple a powerful Wizard's cabal.
Now if only they could stop getting possessed...

Going to run World of the Lost (LotFP) for my group soon. Any crazy things I can add to the game (twists, allies, enemies, equipment, etc) to make the game fun and memorable? I'm starting in Plymouth, England and then moving the party to Khirima so things from England and Africa are cool.

Right now my PCs are chasing a fugitive Necromancer who escaped into the tomb of a 100 year old king, the necromancer brought everything in there back to life to slow down the players too. The tomb itself is decent sized, about two floors with symetrical rooms, the story of the tomb is this king was also burried with his best soldiers/generals and his family and all their heirlooms.

How silly would it be to play a character who's a refugee from 1970's Earth? I don't want to have a gun or anything; he'll probably have been living in the fantasy world for a while now and have nothing from home except a faded T-shirt with a band on it. If need be I can waste a language on "English" and a nonweapon proficiency on "modern stuff."

Your PDFs are dope, man. Glad we have someone who consistently contributes high-quality content to these threads.

I hate wandering critters because for some reason reaction check always makes them insane.

It is not that fun to fight rats and grasshoppers that feel no fear or remorse and cannot be stopped unless killed (and sometimes now even then).

That's cool, so long as he got transported to the fantasy world by a roller coaster.

Environmental hazards (or just strange & interesting environmental quirks for a dungeon).

>muh feelings

If you want a hugbox, go to dragonsfoot.

They way you act shows how new you are to these threads. Kindly fuck off.

oh hey, it's goya

If you make something that's shit I'll call it shit.
If you make something that's boring I'll call it boring.
If you make something that's good I'll call it good.

If this offends you then you should consider leaving Veeky Forums and going to a non-anonymous forum where politeness is an enforced rule.

I come to /osr/ for the creativity and the brutal honesty. Elsewhere people will pussyfoot around by saying "well, it doesn't suit my personal tastes" or "YMMV", here there can and should be brutally honest discussions without fear of repercussions. This is the only no-holds-barred OSR arena and it should remain that way.

The difference is that you shouldn't just say "it's shit", you're supposed to give your reasoning too. The first case just tells that some user doesn't like a thing, the second leads to discussion. Overt hostility is a /v/ thing, Veeky Forums is traditionally been more about saying "yes, and" or "no, but".

So just one big asshole then?

Apparently. Let's keep these threads mellow, ignore him.

Are there any "weird" takes on the Cleric class that would fit into the Islands of the Purple-Haunted Putresence? It is a gonzo/fantasy setting where magic corrupts.

I could see one of the elder gods or such easily corrupting or tricking a cleric, but I am notsure how to make it mechanically interesting/different.

I for my part am extremely onboard with every kind of stranded earth-person, despite running a pretty normal medieval-fantasy game ATM.

Thinking of doing a planetary-fantasy/Algol type game with LBB OD&D and that would have Earth Men as a distinct type, although probably not a class or anything mechanical, OD&D being what it is.

Seconding this and/or a separate table for 50 Strange Wares. Would be extremely good for goblin markets, the various shops in the CSIO and similar. I can't get enough of kooky-but-not-game-breaking items.

When the fuck is the DCC lankhmar box set kickstarter happening

Pretty cool.

>Islands of the Purple-Haunted Putresence
Is this good?

Please elaborate. What do you mean by 'asshole'?

>you're supposed to give your reasoning too.
Not him but that's what always happens in this general. Criticism is constructive, but some people can't take even constructive criticism.

High level enemies who can be bargained with or escaped.

Save or die traps, sprung by a previous expedition, which have likely reset.

1000 orcs

An unknown potion, labeled "do not drink."

If they drink, roll a d8. 1-6 gain one point in a stat, 7-8 turned into a toad.

A gong which, when struck, drives some monsters away and attracts others.

15d6 silver pieces. Its an illusion: THey're actually gold.

A giant frog covered in slime which makes it invisible, but whipes off when struck.

A giant living statue of a demon, surrounded in flames. THe statue can't leave its base.

a dragon egg.

>700 differant class names

We got more popular, whcih means people on here are coming to take, not to give.

Same thing happened with weekend lewd threads awhile back. Started for a place for people to shitpost about like interests, ended as a place where everything was dumb.

Osr won't die, but these threads might for a while. Go find some blogs to read, they tend to last longer.

Ideas for temporal anomalies for a random space-time anomaly table?
ideally they shouldn't be too deadly because basically I'll be rolling for these every few exploration turns.

I'm making a dungeon where a wizard tried to fuck with the time and energy spheres to gain absolute power.
I have a few obvious ones:

>the party meets themselves from the past/future
>gravity inverts
>party finds themselves slowed/hasted

>that's what always happens in this general

Which is why the guy up thread stands out.

>Gravity

a flat patch of ground that feels like you're climbing a hill. Hard to walk toward the center, easy to walk away. If you put soomething down in the center, it will roll towards the edge.

A black hole that's actually just a harmless floating black marble.

equally frequent effects that age you 1 years and make you younger 1 year (so people stay roughly the same age)

octopi which stop time, impregnate all female characters, then speed up time so 9 months instantly pass and they give birth to more octopusses

triangular room,m whose two far walls have a door that connectts to each other.

wall that's only there 50% of the time. Catch: roll 50% seperately for each character, so some might pass through it and some might not.
(Check again every time they look away.)

Ancient demon, trapped in a glass crystal. Catch: He's only ancient in your timeline. Here, he's only 6 weeks old. aww... lookit da cute liddle demon.

Cats with 1 too many legs that have a 1/6 chance of acting twice in a rwo, stopping time for their second action.

Dream syrup that leads to halucinations which are prophetic. Catch: they stop being prophetic as soon as you attempt to act on them.

Has Blood in the Chocolate ever been released to the troves? It looks like it might be relevant to my interests and not ONLY for fetish reasons.