Solo Games

Heya fellow anons of Veeky Forums! I've been looking into games that can be played solo. It seems a little niche and I thought to make a thread where we can discuss such games.

Last month I had spent a bunch of time looking into solo games. I hopped around YouTube and across the web in search for a few. I ended up picking up three games called Friday, Onirim, and Space Hulk:Death Angel. I've been thoroughly enjoying those games and am curious what your thoughts on them might be. Not only that, what games do you enjoy playing solo? Regardless if they were meant to be played that way or not.

I guess I'll give some insight into each of the games I tried for those curious. I tried putting it all here but it was too long so I'll post that below.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/F8teW7rr
mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG
dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Friday is a card game in which you guide Robinson from the Robinson Crusoe books as the character Friday. At it's heart, the game is a deck-builder in which you must take your chances to overcome challenges and gather better cards while getting rid of useless/harmful ones. You'll be having to do that extensively in the early game for Robinson is literally retarded right off the bat. As you play the difficulty slowly increases and hopefully by the end you'll be able to take on these 2 pirate ships. Beat them and you win! Otherwise, you lose and can tally up some points if you want to see how well you did. The game is about 13 bucks off Amazon and I think it's rather fun. If you like optimizing decks and have no friends to play MTG then this might be for you.

Onirim is a nifty little game about dreams. The art has a nice watercolor style, it takes just 15-20 minutes to play, and is around 22 bucks. You have a deck of cards that you'll be constantly shuffling. You draw a hand of five and will be playing cards of 4 different colors in order to collect these 8 door cards. If you get all eight before the deck runs out then you win! Otherwise, it's a loss. Along the way you'll encounter nightmare cards that will screw you over but you'll have several ways of dealing with them. The game comes with 7 expansions that can be mixed and matched thus adding tons of replayability. Onirim is a nice game and some people swear it's one of the best solo games you can get from my research. Personally, I think it's nice and is worth a shot but I wouldn't say it's the best thing ever. I don't regret buying it though. Oh, and it can be played co-op too which is nice.

Also I shoulda attached a picture to the last one

There we go.

Last but not least, Space Hulk:Death Angel. I'll be upfront when I say this is my favorite of the three. Reason why I even used it for the pic. Even if you don't care much for 40K I think it's an all around fantastic solo experience. It can also be played co-op with up to 6 players but unfortunately I haven't been able to get anyone to try it with me yet. I've heard good things though. I got the game for about 17-18 bucks off of Amazon. The cardstock is fantastic, art is nice, and even the rule book has some flavortext that just makes the whole game pop a little more to me. The whole scenario is that you are controlling spacemarines searching through an abandoned spacehulk. Unfortunately for you, it turns out the damn thing is infested with a ton of genestealers! You win the game by taking your chances and coming up with little strategies to deal with the genestealers and make it to the final room of the ship. There you must fulfill a win condition or die trying. After many attempts I can assure you that you will die trying. A lot. Every game turns out a bit differently for rooms get mixed and matched, event cards change things up, genestealers spawn in random locations and even shift around the table, and all it takes is one bad roll for one of your men to die. This game is absolutely brutal and will often have you down to only a couple of guys completely surrounded by enemies. Every die roll is intense and you'll be rolling quite a bit. Even when you lose it's fun to see just how far you can get before it all goes to shit. Unlike the other two games I've talked about, SH:DA has me on the edge of my seat and praying to my worthless god for divine intervention. It's got some issues but I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. Have yet to try the expansions but I plan on it.

I got carried away with writing these out. I really enjoy these little games though. I hope one of you find somethin ya like

I lost the little yellow icon one night when playing with friends
We looked everywhere and didn't find shit
That fucking thing warp jumped and is currently sitting in Tzeentch's labyrinth

Played with expansions; if you thought the base game was tough, hoo boy...

Seconding Space Hulk Death Angel as a good solo game. Setup's simple, great replayability, also fun to play with friends.

The Lord of the Rings LCG is pretty fun, but requires a massive investment into the various expansions and adventure packs to even make a single deck worth playing.

Arkham Horror and Elder Sign can be played solo, though in the time it takes to setup Arkham Horror you could've played several games of Death Angel. Elder Sign is a push your luck dice game, which can be good if you're into that.

I wouldn't say you need a massive investment in the LOTR LCG to make a deck worth playing. A single core set, the Return to Mirkwood pack, and the Khazad Dûm expansion lets you make a solid dwarf deck and have 9 quests to complete. Even just the core set and The Black Riders box is all you need to make a good starter Hobbit deck and have 6 quests. From there you can buy new packs and expansions as you want or are able to.

The core set alone can make two 40 card decks that can clear the three core set quests and be tweaked as you get more cards

Deep space D-6.

I just looked into those and wow I hadn't really checked out what all fantasy flight has to offer but I'll be damned they got a ton of cool stuff! I wish I had more cash to spend cause I'd love to give everything you suggested a try and more! Thanks for bringing those games to my attention user!

Have any of you tried warhammer quest? I've seen it around but don't know much about it.

I really enjoy playing Castle Ravenloft solo. It's dungeon crawling to the bare bones.

Pff, just play any of the cooperative board"""games""" solo. They are dominate the market right now, thanx to sheeple, so you will find plenty.

Ganesha Games 4 Against Darkness series is a good cheap solo game.

Space Hulk is fantastic. I bought it last week and am loving every second of it, I just wish the expansions didn't cost $40 a piece

Warhammer Quest was good when I played it but since FFG lost the license they'll not support it with expansions past the base box.
Also from what I've heard the Arkham Horror LCG that just came out is really good single player.

>expansions

those 4 mini packs are 40 bucks a piece now.

Are there rules to play the actual Space Hulk game solo?

I use PDF related and the Classic Traveller rules for solo sci-fi roleplaying.

I have fun with it

I don't own the game but I've been watching videos of people play it. From what I can tell it really is more of a two person game. I believe it could be tailored to be a more single player experience though. Since the game relies on little blip tokens that have various numbers of genestealers to spawn on them that are meant to be hidden from the Spacemarine player you could select and distribute said tokens randomly. From there just keep moving them to the most logical position such as to the closest spacemarine. Heck, if I had a copy I wouldn't mind trying to come up with a little AI system for playing it. Worse comes to worse, there's always the video game adaptation.

And wow I haven't seen this before! Thanks for the pdf I think I'm gonna give it a shot later. Reminds me of when I was a kid and would play DnD by myself.

before I met my gf, I used to do a decent amount of solo gaming. Coincidentally, I had the same solo games as you OP.

Friday was probably my favorite, followed by Onirim, and then Death Angel. I could never really get Death Angel to be fun for me, it always felt like work playing it and I just wasn’t having any fun.
I also used to play a solo variant of Terra Mystica that I found on BGG that was pretty fun.

Mythic is fun! Although it ends up being more "directed" storytelling based on an RPG rulesystem.

If you do play, remember - the first thing that pops into your head is often the best to go with. Word-association style, the adventure will go places you never expected

to be fair, co-op games with limited information states(like Hanabi) are real games, and can't easily be played solo. But yeah, pandemic, mice and mystics, castle panic ect. can all be played solo super easy.

Also a lot of deck building games can be played solo. Star realms has several systems, and ascension has one.

I'm not sure, I've heard Magic Realm isn't welcome on Veeky Forums.

I enjoyed playing Chainsaw Warrior as a kid, but in retrospect it is a pretty bad game

>all this projecting....

Obligatory.

pastebin.com/F8teW7rr - Solo links
mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG

I have Death Angel and all of it's expansions

if you don't already have the expansion packs, I strongly suggest buying the. Most notably the upgraded missions pack and the one that changes the entire enemy deck into various other forms of tyranids.

Oh and don't forget to always select 2 random squads and choose your last one from the remaining pile

But never forget how OP yellow claw dude is. He's so OP. You literally can't loose if you have him and at least one other decent supportive squad.

If you roll doom on him though, it does suck.

>paying 120 dollaros for a few expansion packs.

Fantasy flights sells them for just 5-15 dollars per expansion. Says they're all out though and Amazon has them all for 40+ each. What the hell happened? I guess they're not makin them anymore?

ffg lost the 40k licence....

Bought this recently. It's pretty fun and fast. Can also be played with multiple people.

Descent, with the new Road to Legend app.
I also really like Space Hulk Death Angel

May the random gods help you

Evil events have overtaken the Northlands. You -- Cal Arath, Barbarian Prince -- are in hiding and the usurper who killed your father, the Old King, now sits on his throne. Now you must flee south and raise enough gold by adventuring to equip an army with which to regain your rightful heritage. The way will not be easy, for the men of the south are strange, and some are schooled in the black mysteries. The passes are guarded by monsters, it is said, and in the ruined cities lurk foul things never born of this earth. But you have your stubborn Northland will and your great sword -- and woe to anyone or anything which stands between you and your quest . . .

BARBARIAN PRINCE is a solitaire game of heroic adventure in a forgotten age of barbarism and sorcery. No opponent is necessary as the Event Booklet takes you through a pre-programmed sequence of encounters which is different each time you play the game. For each event, you, as the Barbarian Prince Cal Arath, must make the decisions which will make your quest successful -- or may cost you your life.

dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html

Another solitaire game--the sci-fi Star Smuggler--is available on the website, too.
All free.

I figured that's what happened. Don't think I'll be tryin those expansions any time soon then... thanks for tellin me anyhow

newfag?

got mine 35 for a complete game set

feels great bud

I've picked this up a few times in the store, but the contents just looked... offputting. Maybe I'm just a shitter, but I would like to see what the contents are like inhand first. Will have to ask for a demo some time.