Revolutions

So!
Let us talk revolutions and games about revolutions!
Question one
Which type/stage of the revolution would you prefer to play? Anticolonial? Communist? Anti-slavery? Religious? Respublican?
Peaseful and political or a bloody conflict after a terrorist campaign?

Also: Revolutions/Civil Wars tiers:
Great October Revolution of 1917: still the greatest tier
French revolution: 4 monarchy restorations later tier
American revolution: hold out until french do the job tier
Chinese revolution: Taiwan still stronk tier
Meidzi revolution: for the emperor! tier

Other urls found in this thread:

acomics.ru/~Austerhoud
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One of the most fascinating subjects for revolutionary struggle is "where is the money coming from" .Sure, one would need enthusiasm but for any big endeavour you need money

For example, russian revolutionaries were either:
a) financed by wealthy Old Believers
b) self-financing via robberies and such
c) financed by foreign agencies (SChiff bank house, english secret services, japanese in 1905)

For South American revolutionaries (or, for example, mojahedeen/taliban) drug trade is the main source of income. Point is, money has to come from somewhere

>Which type/stage of the revolution would you prefer to play? Anticolonial? Communist? Anti-slavery? Religious? Respublican?

Spess-volution
Luna shall be free tovarischee!

So, "Moon is a harsh mistress"/"Gods themselves" type of thing?

I guess that would classify as an anti-colonial one

To think about revolutions in space - they probably can be thematically divided between "in-system" for settings where solar system is colonised, and tensions are between habitable world and asteroid belts/nomad/barely habitble planets and satellites (like in eclipse phase) and "out-system" where there are multiple planets. I believe latter case defaults to usual anti-colonial revolution and space opera stuff, whereas there is something different for in-system tensions thing

To clarify: i feel that in in-system cifil conflict there is a) more cultural richness due to difference in habitats b) more of interdependence between parties. Also, it is easier to set up - just base things on cartel rights / corporate feuds that spawn political movements ad their proxies

One thing to consider is intrinsic link between revolutionaries (especially "professional ones") and spies. As a rule of thumb, among 10 revolutionaries, there should be spies for 3 different factions and a couple of provocateurs from inner security. That, however, does not mean that thir cause is doomed to fall, not at all
During revolutionary confusion, it becomes every man for himself and loyalties to remote powers or spymasters dissipate (if there were any). And later - well, proper revolutions usually slaughter first couple of "generaions of revolutionaries" before things calm down

Who would be counter-revolutionaries?
There is much that can be done. They can be mainly old pivileged classes/groups. They can be foreigners/minority with everything to lose. They can be common masses led by preachers who would stand against new godless order. Any combination is possible
Will they resort to mass atrocities or will that be doing of revolutionares?
Will there be neutral parties who will slaughter activitsts from both sides?
Which one - R or CR will have external recognition?
Which side will be mostly volunteers and which side will have conscription, probably forced?
Which side will accept turncoats and/or souble turncoats?
Although it is more of the civil war thing, though.

This man is your friend
He fights for your freedom

Are there books/mediums on revolutions in fantasy settings?
Personally, i do not know many. Probably Mistborn series. Also - "Diamond Sword, Wooden Sword" with its anti-magocracy revolution

Remembered one more - in webcomic Blindsprings, there was a (in DnD terms) wizard-led revolution against sorcerers; now sorcerers are oppressed minority who would like to somehow end their miserable state of haing hteir powers sealed and whatnot

Are you Russian? I'm just curious.

I am. Was it russian on the picture that gave me away?

I probably could try and dump a bunch of revolutinary posters from both sides (for russian civil war) in here

No, it was "Respublican", "Meidzi" and omitting the article before "French".

Wait, should revolution in France be the only one with 'The'?

i like this one, blasphemous as it is
Fate of Trotsky adds delicious irony to it

A common theme for the revolutions is broken hopes. Commonly, participants (in majority0 end up decieved or swindled. Or killed
For example, if i remmeber correctly, soldiers of American revolution were mostly swindled out of promised pay - french revolution led to several generations of french men vanishing in Napoleonic wars (hyperbole). In Japan, remnants of Shinsengumi geefully helped new regime deal with uprising of former revolutionaries who thought they didn't get what they want...

With that being said, please note flags on this poster. They make it hilarious to the extreme

>French revolution: 4 monarchy restorations later tier
>Not "how many layers of revolution are you in? tier" or "get on my level" tier

Let's be entirely serious though, the French monarchy post-Louis XIV is FUCKING RETARDED. They had four, FOUR chances to redeem themselves and they failed horribly every single time. FOUR. That's four chances more than most dynasties get.

Well, i remember Stuarts having something like 2 chances, is that about right?

Also, 'forgot nothing, learnt nothing'

There is a consiracy theory i have read that english (who else!) organised french revolution(s) to turn France into a joke and thus get rid of their main rival
PS. Let us not forget england actually submitted to Holland - and then Holland slipped on banana peel or something; must have been something to do with their retarded crony system of goverment

The failure of the return of monarchy in france come from the main flaw of monarchy: the king is retarded, see Charle X "i destroy the statu quo" or the post 2e Empire, "Not going to be king without the royal flag".

>submitted to Holland
Do you mean when they invited William of Orange?
That was the same deal as George was later, parliament had the lion's share of power

Everything depends on the system. One could be set up where retarded kings are neutralised by design, with system of co-rulers who raise to the position by their own merit (i am talking West Roman Empire here).
Then again, it seems that the main flaw of democracy is about the same )

And here is revolutionary poster aimed at moslems, offering them to "retake fields they once conquered under green banner of the Prophet"

That is also true, as far as i know. Some conspiracy theories i have read go:
"At that time state Bank of England was invented which funded english operations with fiat money. People in control of that miracle machine invited William to act as their cover, then poisoned him because they thought his heirs would be easier to deal with"

Titled: "Liberators"
it is meme central, oh my

In any case. Is it correct to think that there was no revolution movement in england proper after Glorious Revolution? Ok, after Jacobites faded into obscurity
But after that? Was there anything noteworthy - or only fringes of the empire, like oppressed colonial lands of Ireland, India and so on?

There is a comic i know set "in the city of permanent revolution" - acomics.ru/~Austerhoud

Staple of the revolutions is infighting. It may be small - defferent revolutionary factions refusing to subordinate fully or coordinate with each other. It may be delayed, with leaders taking each other to the wall after the victory of revolution. There may be a rotation of leaders at the forefront of revolution, as initial credi for successes wears out. Or there may be violent infighting - like, for tragic recent examples, between "moderate opposition" in Syrian civil war.
Or, for example, rebellion of sailors against Bolshevics in Crondstadt

No revolution comes without its own pantheon of heroes. Preferably dead ones, for majority of those who surviive turn out to be its enemies. Well, in bad cases
Anyway! Events recieve symbolic significance far above their actual, down to earth meaning (example: Bastille, which did not held any political prisoners when it was taken), and the more blood is spilt - the more importance can be attributed to them.
Sometimes reverence for heroic martyrs of the revolution goes straight into death cult territory (well, that is not surprising given that revolutioners may well be suicide-killers)

On the poster "Dead of the Paris Commune march with us"

Anti-Communist revolution is my preference.

Least amount of bloodshed, most freedom, best outcome.

>notice the onion hanging on his belt
>which was the style at the time