>Playing Dungeons and Dragons with a British DM
>Step into an inn, and ask for an ale
>"That will be "two gold shillings and a silver florin + VAT"

Ok

Taxes are included in the price everywhere outside States, you stupid cunt

>living in a state with sales tax
>ever
feels good man

It's not like States don't have arbitrary mark-up on top of listed price. The only difference is they call it "tipping".

>Go into American shop
>Oh this item is only $18
>Go to the check out
>Price is now $20
>Why?
>Why not just mark the total price instead?

so things are cheaper, dumbass

>at least he doesn't start clapping every time someone rolls a 20

wait, are you... no.... you can't be that dense... can you?

Not him, but are you aware of what spontaneous purchases are? The stuff appears cheaper to the buyer, so there is more chance that he will buy it on a whim.

I am aware, but it doesn't make it literally cheaper, its just obfuscating the reality of the price by not mentioning the tax

>Oh, I won't spend that much, I'll just put it back.

People are stupid and fall for that obfuscation nine times out of ten. It's the same reason so much shit is priced at $X.99 rather than $(X+1); the penny off is insignificant in the long run, but a disproportionately HUGE number of people will by somethings for $7.99 that they wouldn't for $8.

Tip is $1/drink it's not that hard
Even with tip we still pay less than bongs

welcome to capitalism

sales tax is generally 7 cents for every dollar

not a country known for protecting consumers

Move to deleware, or Florida. Different states have different sales taxes. In MD cigarettes can go for $10, but 10 min away I can get the same pack for $3 in VA since that's where thier made

Lol no one here understands what "MSRP" means

... and?
You are aware that different shops have different prices and that doesn't prevent anyone from adding the tax to the price?

There is literally NO reason why Americans don't add tax to the price, aside just one - it appears cheaper, so dumbasses are more eager to buy some shit and won't go back to the shelf after hearing the real price.

Lol wheres that it's 16 cents here

I agree, it's pretty dumb, but that's the way everyone does it, people don't like change, and it's not much of an inconvenience so I doubt it will change anytime soon.

You might joke about it but sometimes the difference between American and British English can get you in real trouble.
Like that one time I tried to correct a schema and was accused of lewdness and harassment.

You'd legitimately be laughed off the street.

>Like that one time I tried to correct a schema and was accused of lewdness and harassment.
Oh come on, you'll have to give us the story

That's for charity m8y.

I would hate to ever be in a position where 20 cents was a deciding factor for anything

at Bed and Breakfasts over here they offer to come and knock you up in the morning

I asked a girl for something that apparently should be called "eraser".

imagine if you'd offered to give it to her instead

>playing D&D with an american DM
>don't tip at the inn
>get shot

>I asked a girl for something that apparently should be called "eraser".
Yes, and

I mean without the buckets. The fact that they're doing it for charity is the only thing keeping them from being shat on by any fuck who thinks his dick is bigger than your's.

Happens all the time where I'm from. Anyone who looks different, even slightly, gets fucked with by complete strangers.

>Unable to tell the price
>not much of an inconvenience

And I was pretty insistent about it...

Bet you a shilling you've never been to Bongland

You'll generally do all your shopping in the same city, so you'll know the tax.

>My mom is doing the groceries for me
Yeah, I've noticed.

>unacceptable behaviour team
>mfw

Ah, that makes sense.

>Unacceptable Behaviour Team
>Is standing directly behind a man in a Tennent's top/hoodie
You can't deny the man knows his job well

>any amount of gold for a drink.

Does the people of this kingdom shit gold?

And you are seriously telling me it's not an inconvinience when you are buying entire cart of different things, doing mental calculation for each item?
>inb4 you know the price of those good, because you buy the same stuff
That still doesn't make it any less inconvinient.

that much is obvious, for starters a florin is 2 shillings.
So the DM just said "that's 2 shillings, and 2 shillings +VAT"

>A golden coin in 100% gold
Do idiots like you are doing it on purpose, or it just happens?

Makes you think

Regular American here, what was the term

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

It's just what people are used to m8
I live in a state without sales tax so it doesn't matter to me either way

that OP is a retard? yes.

That comment will cost you £1/3s/4d

Rubber, duh.

The british call the rubbery plastic object that you rub on pencil marks to erase them "rubbers". The americans call them "erasers", and use "rubbers" to refer to condoms.

Never put out till tomorrow when you can today~

Oh.

I haven't heard that term used for a condom in 20+ years.

Just say condom, you're about to fuck, you don't need to dance around sexual terms like a child.

I'll raise you 24 pence

we had a real laugh in school when we learned the americans called johnnys 'rubbers'.

For the rest of the term everyone kept asking to borrow rubbers off each other and giggling like it was the funniest thing.

Eh, still better than going to convenience store and asking for a pack of fags.

>still uses A FUCKING LEAF

I did have a gold bar as part of my lunch the other day...

You mean a toblerone ?

What a pleb, I've eaten a golden apple just earlier today.

You mean coffin nails?

Nah

Yeah. Actually, your example is even better - when I go to convenience store and ask for coffin nails, they look weirdly at me.

An american neighbour got into a very heated argument over here when a guy ran his car into hers.

The police turned up and heard there had been a fight at the scene (there hadn't, just shouting+threats).

In a resigned way she offered her wrists to be handcuffed and said "ok take me down to the station, I guess we'll sort it out there."

She told me later the policeman looked incredibly shocked at the suggestion she was to be handcuffed and responded "Ma'am we don't do that here."

That was even funnier than her explaining what 'Buffalo wings' where to my father.

>$7 plus tip for a beer that costs $2/bottle at the state liquor monopoly

They can't keep getting away with it

Bet it was delicious

Yeah, it tastes even better in a soup.

>Playing Dunjuns and Dagrons with a 'Murrican DM
>Step into an bar and ask for a bud light
>"That will be "4 dollars and a 10 cents
> + VAT"

Wait, if you're this stupid, how did you know the correct term for the British sales tax is VAT?

Nice try, Russia.

>not 4 dollars and 400 cents

Do better next time

Because not everywhere has sales taxes and some people have cards that make some things tax exempt.

Since I'm on /int/; Are elves white?

VAT is the most sensible tax out there, prove me wrong.

Depends on the flavor.

I've never heard of Golden Delicious apples being used in soup, or apples (especially not non-cooking apples like you'd use in a pie or something) being used in soup at all, I'm intrigued

Don't tell a british gal wearing tights that her fanny looks good in those.

Has anyone seen the price of Freddos recently? I swear those shits used to be 5p...

Depends on how the VAT is calculated in your country. If it's applied only to the value added on the current step, then it's great. If it's applied to the ENTIRE PRODUCT PRICE ON THE CURRENT STEP, REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH VALUE WAS ADDED, like in my country, then IT'S COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT.

It disproportionally burdens the poor

"Golden apple" is a common term for a tomato. Now think about how that cheapens the Greek "golden apple" myth, where three goddesses fought over a common tomato.

>$7 plus tip for a beer
Do you only drink at airports?

It's pretty sensible, but there's still oddities - regular books (tax free) vs digital books (taxed, if you were to ever actually BUY a digital book instead of just downloading it for free).

Also kids clothes being tax free when adult ones aren't, but that's more understandable

I don't think any American under the age of 85 would ever use "fanny" to reference someone's buttocks.

I get told I can't call my m8s 'cunt' in america - it offends lasses

Several errors in this.

For instance there's no such words as Foeffer. Victual is obsolete and written as vittle these days if at all. Loth should be spelled loathe. I suppose you technically can spell it loth, but only in as much as early written english had no proper spelling and you could spell however you damned well please. Also aunt can be pronounced as "ant" or as "awnt" - both are correct.

Vaguely horseshit they include the proper name of a castle in England like we're just supposed to have heard that in conversation. Maybe I should ask some British fuckers if they know how to pronounce some local American geography, like the Catskill mountains (to be fair, I don't expect British people to know about Arkansas).

Likewise, including Greek gods as part of English is as disingenuous as including Native American words that are exclusively used in English now. Lets see you pronounce Huitzilopochtli. Oh you can't on your first try? Guess you're not in the 10% of competent english speakers then.

In b4 Poll Tax

That would actually be cheaper, less tax

>If people are used to it, then it's fine
Then I guess slavery wasn't that bad either

It overly burdens the poor for little beenfit, it disencentivises larger families (Which really can't be a help, especially in times where countries are seeing birth rates plummet) and limits the consumption of people, hurting the economy.