Tfw gm

>tfw gm
>tfw players respect you
>tfw they like your ideas.

Let's post gm success stories.

>tfw a player thanks me for running the game after a session

Told my GM I liked the game. He didn't say anything in return.

Context matters:

>Spend 100 hours developing game world
>finally, after waiting for current campaign to end, I get to run it
>give players optional notes on the setting beforehand
>let them know I want any feedback I can get
>run a great session and manage to resist the urge and don’t infodump like a sperg
>after the session, I ask everyone what they think of my world
>whole table is dead silent, a few smiles, a few shrugs.
>user comes up and says, “I liked the game.”
>mfw I have no words

>One That Guy just ruined all my work and reduced my planned day of enjoying a great session
>The entire session was painful to run because of him
>everyone must have hated it too
>one user lingers after the game obviously to complain about how horrible That Guy made everything
>mfw I have no words

>running a game for some filthy plebs
>they are playing minor characters in my fantasy epic
>the idiots have no appreciation for my storytelling masterpiece
>they whine about “agency” even though I always pretend their dice rolls matter
>these pathetic ingrates aren’t worthy to hear my words
>god how I hate them
>mfw I have no words

>running game with randos in lgs
>one guy keeps staring at me all game
>only gets engaged when talking to npcs
>ignores other players
>won’t stop staring
>lingers at the end of the game
>stands up and the front of his pants are undone
>mfw I have no words

>super hot user in my group
>certain they’re in a relationship
>group is great and I don’t want to ruin anything
>constantly checking them out when they’re not looking
>gotta hide my nervousness when talking to them ic
>consistently trying to disguise my arousal
>always duck out so I don’t have to talk to them ooc
>one time I get cornered
>my knees go weak
>mfw I have no words

>Always concerned that I'm running a game poorly, or railroading my two players.
>Often ask after session if they think I'm doing a good job.
>P1: "Yeah. I mean, I couldn't come up with this hook, man. It's pretty fun, and I'm glad you took over for me."
>P2: "Yeah, I got no objections, it's fun."

One may be an unrepentant brony, and the other mildly autistic, but I love those two fuckers.

what even is this post

user projecting his fears first and then this dream.

>Running strand campaign they encounter bbeg at level 4 he rinses them down to 2 hours before departing. They start secretly scheming and working out how to kill him. One of them explains to me how they have been setting their group up to beat him based on their encounter. I realise they've worked out a theoretical 1 turn kill on him and a strategy to stay alive at least 3 rounds. He only told me this so I could rebalance for them. Sadly for them a pair of death knights just arrived in barovia as if summoned by strand himself.

Basically my group is super easy to run and I use this method to keep them happy. 1 of them loves narrative. 1 of them loves dungeoneering and combat and one of them loves RP. I basically rotate sessions they will have a dungeon session with combat and exploration, the next session will be a narrative session where the story is moved forward by an event or their actions then an rp session where the primary thing will be interacting with npcs.

It makes my life very easy.

>what even is this post
Allow me to explain:

>an user seemed saddened that his GM did not respond to his praise
>state that the context matters
>provide several scenarios with varying context leading to a GM not responding to same praise
>consider point made that user need not feel saddened, depending on the context
>leave it to user to provide context or just consider it themselves

Then:
>an user is a faggot for not understanding
And then:
>an user is a faggot for making me laugh
Heh

>tfw I have the same group for 4 years
>tfw during the first year, in separated occasion, each and everyone of them told me directly my games were great, they felt their characters matter, they felt the NPCs really felt like different, separated people, and that I was the greatest DM they ever had.
>tfw they like my style so much I ruined other DMs for them, they play in other groups sometimes but always for few session and never leave my group.
>tfw Although they feel other DMs are subpar, they got used to my style and no longer appreciate/thank/compliment me after games and stopped putting effort on their own end to make the games run good.

It's like the DM equivalent of Lesbian bed death.

I'm only new but I've always thanked my GM after a session. I thought that's how things were?

It's actually not the new guys that don't thank people, it's the guys that you've dmed for 3 months that dont bother

This

>group is friends
>friends thank me after every session
>friends bring me food
>friends are understanding when I have to cancel
I love those guys.

>tfw gm
>tfw players like your work that you put a lot of effort into making
>tfw players talk about the game and reminisce about it

It's the best feeling

>have a forever dm
>play a campaign over 4 years, barely get any sessions over that that time
>still lots of fun
>he decides that 2016 is going to be our year
>schedules fortnightly sessions
>we end up play 16 sessions that year
>the best campaign we've ever played
>over the course of the last several years, he's learned that less is more as far as planning goes, and now does a great job of rolling with our bullshit without making us feel like we're being railroaded (most of the time)

but then

>towards end of the campaign, player who dms for another group has aspirations of an amazing campaign
>it's some sort of police investigation thing
>he's come up with pages and pages of backstory and world building
>it's not fun at all
>we don't know what to do
>it's easily our worst session as a group

I felt so bad. He put so much work into it and none of us enjoyed it. I don't think it's remotely salvageable either.

Be sure to tell him then, pushing through something terrible for his sake won't be entertaining for any of you. If you've been friends for as long as you say he should take it well.

>tfw never not once was thanked for running the game

Atleast I can tell when they're having fun... I try to always say thanks to my DM, but I play so rarely

One of my longtime gaming buddies recently asked me to run a reboot of a campaign I ran a few years ago. Apparently he'd been telling his brother and friends about it and it sounded good enough they wanted to try playing it.

We're finishing up chargen tomorrow.

>Run a campaighn for a year and a half.
>Got burned out so decided to pause it and run something else
>Spent x999 times more effort to create a custom S.T.A.L.K.E.R RPG than simply continuing the old campaign( because i realy wanted to run stalker and evey alternative was shit)
>Game runs very smooth and tight, everyone is having fun.
>Almost allways hear whining "We like this game alot, but we realy want to go back to the old one, it was awesome and we feel like it was realy ours"
Not sure how to feel about this. Should i just go back?

I just walked into this thread and the first thing I noticed is that you're insane

I've been a GM or so for a small time now roughly a year and run a few games so far (so far none have been completed as player complications and other) but anyway here's a little success story from when I first ran a game.
>I come into my now usual club one day and a guy who's now a friend tells me about a very new simple game coming out soon using the Dungeon world system known as "fellowship"
>obviously based from the lord of the rings(book has a few chuckle worthy references)
>it's in a kick starter so I kind of take interest about it but don't really expect much at the time but told him that if he wanted I would play if there was other chaps interested
>come a month or so later he gets the book and reminds me about it and I'm reacting "oh, yeah that sounded interesting, is it out yet"
>obvious "yes" and says he'll bring it in to make some characters
>"awesome."
>so he brings it in the next day we have our sessions (usually a thursday as it's when the day is normally booked in a room) and I take a look at the book and that with someone other who decided to take interest
>he then asks "now, who wants to be the bad guy?"
>I think fuck it "I will" he then looks to me and says as a joke "congratulations you are now the gm"

continued...
>at first I'm thinking "oh. shit, I didn't expect this"
just to clarify the system rules must have a "Overloard" like Morgoth or a Sauron and that person is also the GM as he makes the game but makes a character that is a massive badass/all-powerful/a major dick of the gm's choosing
>anyway, he then lays the character sheet for the "Overlord" in front of me
>after the shock of this randomness quickly left my mind I just said "yeah, sure, might as well give it a go"
>he did say to me that he wasn't being serious and I didn't have to but I just told him "I might as well as I've been wanting to ry it out anyway"
>he then made a character quickly as he was not expecting me to actually say yes
>we did a quick session from something that came from the top of head
>afterwords I asked them how it was as that was literally made up as I went along
>first guy told me that it was perfectly fine and that he enjoyed it
>the other guy told me that I was a good GM so I decided to keep running it
>as we went through the campaign, I kept asking for reassurance and feedback and they just kept saying it was fine and that I was doing good
I was really happy that I could give them a fun experience and I will keep trying to do that from here on.

Group regards a Shadowrun game I GM as the best campaign we have played not bc of my mad cyberpunk knowledge, but for my allowance and adaptability to their playstyle as a bunch of drunken mercenaries.

Finish old campaign and run your new stalker one, or if you can, find a way to schedule both

also can you hit us up cause I love me some stalker

I agree with this chap don't leave it unfinished but don't force yourself to do it, that is but try and muster the energy to want to.

>players still tell stories about good times they had in your game years later

That basically makes everything worth it.

I promised them that i will make the campaighn quick and will go back to the old one. And i plan to do just that.

Here's my player book, it's mostly complete. But the game master one is still absolute garbage. If there's any interest it's posted in the game design's threads file with tg projects and i update them often.

this is kind of cool I may keep it for future thought if I ever go through that territory

How kind of you to notice.
Party on.

That is truly the best feel.
Everyone in my group's still all shook up over the Elvis incident.

>all shook up over the Elvis incident
>all shook up
>Elvis
>mfw

>have epic battle with Witch Fext Drow that came back to kill Ranger-turned-paladin and Samurai Magus.
>gory as fuck
>Fext disemboweled, had a revenant crawl out of his corpse.
>Paladin nearly dead twice over
>1woundleft.jpg
>Magus has twisted ankle
>barely make it out alive
>10 of their soldiers die from the fext's death curse
>get back to their base, Paladin lost a lot of blood, Magus is in shock, could have a heart attack any moment.
>they get back "safely"
>everyone was expecting them to get firewood
>ended it there
>both said it was one of the most memorable sessions they had in my game.
>tfw