mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread (Cross-thread)

Since D&D will likely be releasing a rules expansion later this year, what other rules would you want them to add? Obviously more class features and options are a given, but what other things do you wish there were rules (or better rules) for?

Are you excited for Tales from the Yawning Portal?

OP, why you so mad tho?

what happened

More combat option.
More price list for building and land.
More price list for food and livestock.
A rule for gambling game like gwent.

Half the thread thus far was bitching about preferred pronouns rather than actual D&D stuff. Good riddance I say.

We didn't respect OPs preferred pronouns. We're literally worse than Hitler.

Thread got deleted or pruned, who cares

>tfw my question was eaten by /pol/
thanks guys

What was your question?

What was your question user?

The original post was actually fine.
Someone else kept it going.

To the user with the hospital story, I teared up.

You the storm paladin?

If you were the storm pally you fucked up with your metamagic.

See if your DM will let you trade distant for quicken? Buy him a beer or something.
It's your first time playing right? How often did you actually ever use that meta magic?

I'm just wondering what a good utility class or build would be for LMoP. I usually play boring-ass Fighters and McGyver my way through every situation, so I'd like to try another tack for a change. I'd prefer to stay away from pure casters.

Is LMoP heavy on social interaction, traps and environmental shit, or combat?

Nope, that's me. I was thinking about Thunderous Smite, but I don't like the fact that it's eats up a whole spell slot for a single bit of burst damage.

Only once, and that was in the first month of playing. We've been playing for over a year now (long time I know) and he already let me switch it out for twinned a few months ago, which I original had as subtle spell. I fucked up.

Consider Rogue? Alternatively, if your DM allows UA, try out an Alchemist Artificer from the newest one.

None of the _____ Smite spells are worth casting. It's better to save your spell to convert into a Divine Smite whenever you're autoattacking and land a crit or something.

Don't forget you get to SHOCK ENEMIES within 10 feet when you deal thunder or lightning damage, man. Make use of that shit.

Burst damage is paladin job though.

I have a question 5e general, I want to empower an Aboleth as a campaign boss, I was considering turning it into a spell caster, but I'm unsure what kind of table of spells to give it. I'm thinking around 15 cr

For a whopping 3 damage. Granted, it is AoE and somewhat decent range, so it's better than Earth Tremor.
Which I also took and have regretted immensely.

Weew fucking lad.
You sure did. Just be the party tank and use shield when you get hit.

You do have shield right? I fucking swear user.

Subtle spell was great dude...
Subtle counterspell everything..

Why are you posting a CHAR though?

What is the best Feat for Dex based fighters?

Just pretend like you don't have Distance Spell. 90% of the time the DM won't notice.

Otherwise, start cheesing the shit out of it. Pick up Spell Sniper and start firing Searing Rays from the other side of a football field.

you could treat them like a Hag Coven and make them gain spellcasting through grouping

Someone give me a quick rundown of the adventures being brought back in TftYP. Some user said in a previous thread that all of the adventures are shit, but maybe he was wrong?

What are your thoughts on the various Unearthed Arcana that have been released?

The only one I've taken the time to look at is the Paladin UA and while the Conqueror seems underwhelming, the Blackguard seems fantastically fun.

Are they all like that or what?

I took mage armor instead.
I started with 12 DEX.

Exactly, it's AoE. It would be better... if you were quickening your spells.

But does he has warcaster feat?

ASI

+2 Dex

Not him, but
>implying there's ever a wrong time to post a CHAR

Honestly. Fuck you.

> initially read that as groping
What is wrong with me

I'm sorry, user. I was new to the game. I was still learning.

>But does he has warcaster feat?

I doubt it. I'm guessing he took medium armor master or some shit.

All of them are famous for LOL TPK.
The thing is... it isn't hard to make a dungeon that work against player....

>them
>a singular aboleth

I just want one, I was kinda thinking maybe a slightly weaker spell table of a lich

Actually, I did, at the behest of my DM, since I wanted to be a slightly more aggressive sorcerer.

It's okay. I'm just trying to cope with this shit.

What made you say "let's become a paladin!"?
When you level up and learn a new sorc spell you can change mage armor to shield. You know that right?

Are the crafting rules from "5e Reforged" any good? I'm loving the basic rules of 5e in play but the absolute nothing that covers creating mundane items is disappointing and the Artificer dropping without a hint of such rules beyond creating their own magical items has pushed me to search out a functional supplemental system for it.

All the more reason to wear actual armor and shield.

alright, now I think you're just trolling.

>Dawnforged cast
kill yourself.

>Dawnforged cast
Kill yourself

I know about swapping spells, but I swapped out many months ago, before I learned more about the game, and by the time I realized how good shield was I was already dipped into Paladin.
I switched to Paladin for the survivability. I had no DEX, and mostly close range spells. I needed some survivability, so I went fighter for a while for the proficiencies. They helped out immensely.

I'm not a clever man, user. I wanted to make a "muscle Wizard" type character in the beginning. That did not go as planned at all after the first couple of sessions.

well dawnforged's way is clearly the best way

Can you just... kill or retire your multiclass abomination character and put him out of his misery?

I hear it's been in the news lately.

I meant Paladin, not Fighter. Damn.

I'd just tell your DM that you feel like you're not having fun with the character you've made.

Agree to have him retire and take all his stuff with him. So that your new character comes in with no benefit of the old character's life.

Just ask your DM to reroll your class into favored soul sorcerer. Give him a blowjob if you have to.

You're a Sorcerer, you can swap that stuff out.

Only when he level up as sorcerer and not paladin.

I will be swapping it out as soon as we hit 12, when I reach Sorc 7. Switching it out for some Haste and learning Storm Sphere as well.

>I'm not a clever man, user. I wanted to make a "muscle Wizard" type character in the beginning. That did not go as planned at all after the first couple of sessions.

>try to make a muscle wizard meme man
>surprised when it doesn't go well

So I've never played 5e. How do I find a group online?

But user.. 8 INT Mountain Dwarf muscle Wizard is a thing in 5e.

Yeah, but he's a sorcerer.
So he even fucked that up.

Shows what I know, I've been playing for less time and only for two sessions.
And our last one was in November and the DM stopped. Hold me.

Here in groupfinder, /r/lfg, roll20, but they're all shit.

Magic items from the DMG are direct upgrades, like class abiilties.

That's why it's a part of class progression rather than there being rules for artificers making magic items.

Letting people make magic items is like letting people train for additional class features.

I will hold your hand if all the other anons aren't watching.

But since they are.. I will just call you a faggot instead.

your waifu is leaving you and senpai will never notice

Anything that targets Wisdom and/or Int saves. Like, throw a Mass Suggestion at them and order them to take communion by walking into the pool of that aboleth slime that turns you into a deep one. Maybe stuff like Hallucinatory Terrain, make shit as Far Realm-y as possible. Charms, stuff like that, anything mind-fucky works, really.
Arms of Hadar, Hunger of Hadar
Tidal Wave, Watery Sphere.
But that's a handful of concentrations, so you might only pick a few.

You literally can train for extra stuff though. The DMG explicitly names skill proficiencies and feats.

The guy being a selfimportant twat doesn't mean that I can't make use of his material.

More
>Feats
>Fighting styles

I'd like some options for unarmed fighters. Three things:
>tool up Tavern Brawler to be a little stronger
>Fighting Style that caters to not using weapons
>Barbarian specialization for being the punchiest dude that ever punched

Suggestion for Fighter Style that would make unarmed fighting viable (especially if paired with Tavern Brawler)
>unarmed attacks count as simple weapons
>unarmed attacks add 1d4 damage, choose bludgeoning/piercing/slashing as damage type
>you may, as a reaction after being attacked, make one unarmed attack

The third point (and choosing damage) might be a bit much, but the first two points allow a punch to be like a club and also trigger "when you attack with a weapon" conditions (so it works really well with Battlemaster).

I would say in general, picking different battlemaster options allows you to basically "make" a martial arts style via the effects you can trigger (so boxing vs jujitsu vs krav).

Feedback welcome.

I don't have DMG on hand atm. But isn't training rule can only give you tool proficiency?

>do training
>get +1 AC and +1 to all saves permanently
I seriously doubt your DM will let you do that. You're more likely to just get skill proficiencies or such.

What are some good legendary actions for a paladin of vengeance encounter?

It honestly is up to the GM what it can give you. One of my GMs let me have Eldritch Blast with Agonising Blast on my bard in exchange for a "demon pact bond", my other GM wouldn't let me have proficiency in history even if I sold my soul to the high devil of libraries and spent a decade of downtime studying at a university.

>Legendary action: Sob that your party abandoned you for being such a lone faggot and not taking one of the oaths that provides cool auras or being an oathbreaker which would make you better at being a loner
In other news, fuck oathbreaker.

1. You need a trainer. A good DM will have it as a quest reward. (For example, in the dragon hoard you rescue a master crossbowman who offers training in Crossbow Expert, or a renowned paladin who will teach you medium armour proficiency)
2. There's a price. Learning a spell might involve making a pact with a hag, or selling part of your soul. That powerful wizard isn't going to let you copy his level 7 spell for free.

Does a Paladin's power come from a God or from Within? The PHB seems to indicate it is a little bit of both. I am confused.

"It's in other reward". It like a favor or a land dred. You can't normally just go find them, but you get the training as a super duper special reward from helping a powerful wizard or ex-advrnturet and stuff like that, instead of a plain old and boring magic item.

>Legendary Action: Move up to [half speed] towards creature under Oath of Enmity, make an attack.

> demon pact bound
That is literally taking a level in Warlock. Your character level should reflect as such.

Even then, the DM might not allow you the 'tough' feat or the benefits of certain magic items (such as a +2 magical weapon'. Compared to having flexible rules to make whatever items you want, the DM has the say there and prevents you from just getting combat buffs and being a munchkin.

Ultimately paladins are self empowered. Devotion paladins may devote themselves to a god, but their power is still their own, not granted by that god.

Yeah, pretty much. All I asked for was Eldritch Blast, suggesting giving up some spell slots. He himself suggested I get it all for pretty much free but with a RP drawback.

No. Training is DM reward to player. What kind of training you will get is up to DM.

He could have given you a cloak of protection or giving you training that do the same thing mechanically. It serve the same purpose.

And that's exactly why there aren't rules for making magic items.

If you could just make them without DM input, it's like getting training without DM input.

I want to make a witch hunter eldritch knight who collects the spellbook covers of the wizards he kills. I'm debating between having him use a greatsword so he can use great weapon master or a sword and shield so he can cast shield and get absurd AC. Any thoughts?

Go two levels into wizard for bladesinger. Int to AC is sweet, and mage armour plus bladesong beats plate and a shield by far. That's before you burn emergency Shield casts for extra AC. 28 AC is possible, and then you throw in Mirror Image for good measure. Keep Absorb Elements prepared too, to get resistance to whatever the dragon is breathing at you.

Uh...okay. Dude's an antagonist NPC. Fifty-something crazy guy on a personal crusade against scum and villainy

>Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god.

Just seems there is an indication of it being related to a god. Though if it is purely self empowered, that clears up alot of questions.

I like it. Though the target will probably feel pretty fucking bummed out when he's getting nova'ed by this paladinboss.

This is a character that I'm planning on playing to level 20 so missing out on the 4th attack for AC doesn't feel worth it to me. If anything I would go 12 Fighter 8 wizard

>i posted a story about my college
>watch critical role
>come back and thread is deleted
>mu post apparently caused a tornado

wha... what did i do?

is there any way to view threads that have 404'd?

>EK Fighter
>not Monster Hunter Fighter branching into Warpriest
>not casting silence and grappling the dirty spellcaster while your friends maul the faggot
>failing Wisdom checks, ever
>Go two levels into wizard for bladesinger.
>being dirty knife-eared scum
>acceptable for a true witch hunter
AWAY, AWAY

Why does an oathbreaker paladin still have lay on hands? Why is the holy smite of an oathbreaker still radiant damage? On that note, does anyone else miss the positive/negative energy dynamic? If negative energy could still heal undead then it might make circle of death worth a damn at least.

I doubt he will be ab elf or half-elf

On a metagaming level, you've got two routes which split into different weapons.

Strength, and dexterity.

Strength -
GWM greatsword.
GWM+PAM quarterstaff+shield / halberd
SM rapier+shield.

Dexterity -
SS + CBM hand crossbow
No feats, Rapier+Shield, GFB+BB

So, you probably want to head up GWM greatsword (EK is mostly for casting 'shield' and maybe a couple of other things later) or rapier+shield (EK gives you booming blade, green flame blade and otherwise lets you cast things such as shield) unless you're looking for a multiclass such as into rogue or bladesinger.

Even if you play to level 20 (very unlikely unless you start at level 15 or something or big level skips) then it'll only be a fraction of your character's life time, and it's only one extra attack. If you go rapier+shield, you have GFB/BB to keep you comfort anyway, even if it's maybe not quite as good as 4 attacks, it's better than 3.

Depending on what you actually want the aboleth to do, I'd recommend poking around in Lords of Madness. You probably won't want to directly use it, but there's an aboleth PrC that's split between improving the enslave ability and enhancing aboleth glyphs.
You could probably come up with some other themed applications for glyphs, since 'spell trap you trigger by seeing it' gets tedious REAL fast; Lords of Madness has a few examples.
Also Regdar dies a lot, and that's always funny.

Some people got offended because you implied you didn't respect people's preferred pronouns.

Myself, I only indulge people's fantasy when I'm at the table.

hilarious

I played something very similar to this, a mage hunting eldritch knight.

I found great weapon more useful as well as it significantly raises the concentration DCs and is very brutal when combined with booming blade.