reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/

Compilation of medieval bestiaries:
bestiary.ca/

Middle ages worldbuilding tools:
www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
qzil.com/kingdom/
lucidphoenix.com/dnd/demo/kingdom.asp
mathemagician.net/Town.html

>Does your setting have any global cities? If so, what are their demographics? Explain the history behind these statistics.
>What places do towns, cities, villages and any other centralized settlements have in the political structures of your setting's states?
>How big of a phenomenon is urban sprawl in your setting?
>Do your cities have any "green spaces" (parks, culturally/religiously special naturals areas, etc.)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/Artifexian/videos
worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/riversno.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Does your setting have any global cities? If so, what are their demographics? Explain the history behind these statistics.
Yes, Fonteford. It becames Kingsford after the Empire declared it the capital where the elected Prince MUST reign. It allowed for a central bureaucracy to form and remain rather than move every few decades. The city has around 450,000 people in it and is the largest on the continent. The large underground aquifer nearby provides a good deal of fresh water, while nearby cities and hamlets base their entire economy on feeding the city.

>What places do towns, cities, villages and any other centralized settlements have in the political structures of your setting's states?
The capital is the center of the world. Everything flows to it at one point. Towns near the hills and mountains are tasked with drawing out minerals, ore, raw stone, or find artifacts that will be milled further down river in the plains. The coast towns bring in fish and trade while also exporting refined goods to other places. Only the city of Kingsford is a city that does it all.

Almost non-existent. A large plague devestated populations for a while, and then a few waves of goblins came in ransacking whatever they could find. This encouraged tightly packed, defensible population centers. Forts survived more than villages.

>Do your cities have any "green spaces" (parks, culturally/religiously special naturals areas, etc.)?
Kingsford does not. It was not planned out or religiously required. The green spaces come from traveling out of the city into the neighboring burghs and towns to see the farms and pastures.

Currently working on a project I call Ghostworld. Looks like some interesting questions OP.

Current one I'm working on is the city of Clayton. Known for both its deep red river clay (it's namesake) and the fact that it's one of the oldest continuously inhabited settlements in the world. Clayton is a huge center for industry nowadays, leading to the odd sight of smoke stacks tearing up millenia old archways and domes. Shit that Elves put up while humans were still hunter-gatherers covered in a solid foot of soot and grime. Being a center of industry and mad science, Clayton also features more Homunculi than anywhere else.

Most smaller villages and towns are starting to vanish. Urban sprawl is overtaking a lot of the ones nearest the big cities, and the ones further out are being devoured by undead, monsters, eldritch horrors, and general irrelevancy.

It's pretty recent, but it's become a big deal in the last century.

The city of Granporte, which is a mashup of Washington DC, New Orleans, and Karnak. While it's covered in painted marble and limestone monument-tombs and palaces, it also boasts some impressive parks. The Grieving Gardens specialize in summoning up shades of the recently dead so families can seek closure. The Elysian Field features a hall of dead heroes to speak with, for those of a historical bent. And the Slumbering Grove is perfect for anyone looking to die and stay dead (in a world where death is hard to finally achieve, that says something).

What sort of civilizations or settings do you see working with this map?

Were those islands formed by some giant primordial being sitting down?

>ywn have a thick titaness sit on the world and thusly your face

Everyone focuses their world's "Creation Myth" on whatever memory or hobby interests themselves the most. For instance, Tolkien was a polyglot who began Arda with the creation of a language and the singing of songs.
That world began with facesitting.

So im right now generating a system map for a space fantasy game im running, but I want to know what kinds of details should be known about a star and it's system?

Like how many planets make sense for a system, how many should be inhabitable. Does the size of the star matter, or the colour? The idea is that I have one important thing per system.

>planets
Few that aren't gas giants AKA resource bubbles.
>inhabitable
Almost none.
>size/color
Color is relative to size. Size matters a lot.

Could use Space Engine to generate believable space.

Watch these:
>youtube.com/user/Artifexian/videos

I'm not looking for believable space. I'm basically using this to generate my systems, beyond a little hacking from Spelljammer.

This has gone to a weird place.

Let's see how far we can go with it.

Interesting. So what are you asking for exactly? Just ideas for making that chart thing better?

Well I suppose the first thing is if it's fine to have barren systems with just stars?

Since each system is within a crystal sphere floating in the Astral Sea, shouldn't each one have something in it, or is a barren system ok?

How many planets in a system make sense or are interesting? That's what the chart i'm using doesn't really tell me.

>barren systems
Barren systems have nothing in them, which means that unless you are about to maroon a PC, they serve no purpose.

>How many planets
Random roll it. 1d20 plus or minus whatever modifier you desire, or whatever fits at the moment. Dying system? +5 (old) planets. New star? Minus 6.

Any number of planets could exist. Our RL system has 8-12 depending on who you ask. Some systems have none or one. Don't sweat it.

Is this gonna be realistic or total science-fantasy?

Total science fantasy.

The generator im using is working under the assumption that space is like a dungeon, so treasure and population distribution is like that of the placement of monsters, traps, and treasure. Every 12 of 20 systems is barren.

>>Does your setting have any global cities? If so, what are their demographics? Explain the history behind these statistics.
The world isn't interconnected enough to have any places that influence the whole economy.
>>What places do towns, cities, villages and any other centralized settlements have in the political structures of your setting's states?
They're important as centers of food production and religion, and as permanent residences of the rulers of the states, however no real trade and cultural centers exist yet.
>>How big of a phenomenon is urban sprawl in your setting?
Doesn't really exist.
>>Do your cities have any "green spaces" (parks, culturally/religiously special naturals areas, etc.)?
They're not very large, and situated in vast wilderness so there's no need for such things.

Speaking of cities and urban spaces, I need some insight and tips on conflict between fey creatures.

In my world Fey creatures are entities born from belief and concepts. When mortals appeared on the world and started thinking of things like Winter, Summer and forests as entites, fey creatures were made real.

For example, when people started thinking of the forest near home as an entity, a dryad was born. When the same people think that the forest is a scary and dangerous place, the dryad becomes scary and dangerous itself.

With the rise of cities, other fey creatures started appearing and growing in power, like the Green Fairy from abshinte or the Hearth Pixies.

What would be the interaction between the older and "natural" fey (divided in Summer/Winter Courts) and the new "urban" ones ? What kind of war they would wage aganist each other?

All right, I need help building a fantasy world for a 5e D&D Campaign the only thing I have so far is that one of my prospective players, wants the world to be named after a star, like Sirius or Polaris, and as an added bonus, pretty much everybody who wants to play is completely new to ttrpgs myself included, can anyone help me? if so, will you please help me?

I guess. There's "crossroad of the worlds" kind of city-state which I haven't make a good name for. It's primary populated by not!Greeks, but also since it's a colony in not!Asia, it has quite a lot of former nomads who joined the population, although most reside in countryside. Expatriates from the further West are also common coming with caravans or merchant ships and for whatever reasons not leaving.
In most nations, cities are the seats of power for dukes who rule large areas. Smaller settlements are subordinate to them with local adminstration usually being appointed by the dukes. If not this, it's probably one of the nations that doesn't really have population to fill the city.
I don't think it's applicable for the medieval society.
Most cities are chaotically planned with borders between city and nature is not always being clearly defined. Leaders are usually having a large garden around their residence. The above mentioned city-state have a very big "Garden of Swords" around the place where historical treaty was made, decorated by large number of decorative weapon sticking out of the ground to commemorate tradition of burying one's weapon when making peace.

>put a few of my friend's ideas into my setting
>particularly fond of two characters he made
>become really attached to them and they are tangled into the storyline with increasing importance the more I develop them
>eventually get around to reading Berserk
>the two characters were clearly not-Griffith and not-Zodd that he came up with right after he started reading it
>have to take apart everything I wrote about them and rearrange it to make them unique
I feel like I have to read everything ever written just to make sure this doesn't happen for the twentieth time

Why does it matter? Nothing is ever original.

Originality is not a virtue by itself.

Being well done matters a lot more than being original.

Blatant copying is a thing of its own, but picking cool ideas from outside sources is fine. That's worldbuilding.

I'm running a medieval campaign in a post apocalyptic US, specifically in an empire on the Baja peninsula that's culture is a mix of Classical Japanese/Song Dynasty Chinese/Spaghetti Western.

My issue is figuring out the timescale I want to work with, originally it was 400 years after the Great Apocalypse (so named because it followed 6 apocalyptic events that weakened but did not destroy civilization but left it unable to deal with the last).

However, I'd like to build a world that has had previous great empires and kingdoms rise from the ashes only to fall again, allowing for a mix of pre-apocalypse and medieval style dungeons.

Is 1100 years a reasonable time without expecting the tech level to have advanced too much? As well as being able to have some ancient magic artifacts (really highly advanced tech from before the fall) survive and able to function? Or do you guys think it'd be reasonable to push it back further? I'd like to have as much time between the Apocalypse and game start as possible while still making sense.

A little more info, the Apocalypse will have happened in the 2200s, allowing rudimentary AI, better medical technology, eradication of a number of diseases and nanobot devices to have entered mainstream use before the world ended.

Pic related is the feel of each region in North America. Loosely based off of the CK2 mod After the End.

>Empire of Moose
Go home, Paradox Interactive, you drunk.

Anyone familiar with Hindu mythology? On the topic of the Rakshasas and the ability to shapeshift:

-How easily do they do it - a puff of magic or what
-Can they take the form of someone and pretend to be them?
-If they become a dragon do they gain the abilities of a dragon?
-Their usual form (myth not D&D) they are depicted in - is that their normal appearance or is there no normal Rakshasa appearance?
-Are there good Rakshasa?
-Can they get along with and co-exist with humans without instantly wanting to binge on human tikka masala?

It's not an actual empire, just a bunch of poor frozen tribes that worship moose.

Not trying to bitch or bicker. I don't know specifically about Rakshasas, but of Hindu and Buddhism in general. I'd make a wild guess and say things probably aren't as simple as you think or put it. These things don't read out like a traditional bestiary. They dwell in metaphors and metaphysics.

Maybe you shouldn't call it Empire then.

I was joking about Paradox Interactive becuse in Hearts of Iron 4, apparently placeholder names for some fascist nations slipped through creating some empires of mascot animals.

That's a map of the world as my players know it. One of them is convinced the "Empire" of the Moose is the reason the Apocalypse happened and the Japanese people don't rule the world anymore.

Didn't know that about HOI4 though, haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

>Maybe you shouldn't call it Empire then.
Tell that to the Holy Roman Emperor.

So I'm taking the plunge and going full retard with developing a religion for my cleric/scholar character in an upcoming freeform rp I'm in. I've had a bunch of ideas floating around in my head but I've been having trouble stitching it into an actual religion that works and makes sense.

I want it to be focussed on the personal and public labors of individuals. According to the faith, it is every individuals obligation to strive and make the world a better place than what is was before, and even though it will often be hard and grueling it will all payoff for the individual and their friends and family. It took me a while to type this explanation up and I'm still not satisfied with it, but what do you guys think? Is there something here that works? Should I steer it for more of a lifestyle like Confucianism? Or perhaps make their be a diety involved, "The Labored One", or something?

Other random ideas:
>it is a true upstart faith mainly gaining followers in the peasantry and clerics from other faiths discouraged by the payoff for everyday folks that the main faiths provide
>whatever holy scriptures the religion has will be simple parables organized into tomes called "The Labors", it mainly features parables
>the religion is too young for central organization, but the founder, a Prophetic figure, occasionally gathers the priests together to discuss various matters
>priests often keep in touch with each other through messenger pigeons, if you happen to pass a priest of the faith on the road he is more than likely to have 2 or 3 pigeons in a cage with him
>priests often have secondary occupations, be it beekeeping, smithing, farming, and the odd soldier
>"Labor" doesn't necessarily mean mindless work, it is more focused on meaningful works that are performed with the intent of making the world a generally better place to live in for others at the cost of something for the individual performing them, either in materials or wealth or even just free time

Bump

>working backwards writing a backstory for a group of demigods
>ends up looking like a heroic epic; a biography of a legendary warrior
Now to iron out the logical inconsistencies, my favorite part.

>Mention casual nudity is practiced and accepted in public spaces in this community
Entering the magical realm?

Depends if you're using the location. If it's just a far away place that is only mentioned, it's not magical realm. If it's directly shown then it's magical realm.

Aren't Americans the only ones who sexualize nudity? It's fine, bro.

>Aren't Americans the only ones who sexualize nudity?

>Religious confession involves the priestess sitting on your face

See Now that's magical realm. You're fine, if your players are mature enough.

Private wikis are rather nifty for worldbuilding.

What are the central ideas of the fantasy-setting? Themes, feeling of it, atmosphere, style of game?
It is a broad subject, and fantasy can be done in many ways.

Depends both on how it's handled and how mature user/player base you have.
I have casual nudity a part of many societies in my world, simply because it's something that actually does appear in real-world societies as well, and I don't see any reason why to shy away from it. And like in most of those societies, the casual nudity in my world is rarely sexualized, but frequently associated with either ritual role, or simply with cleanliness and cleaning acts. Prudness is generally not much of a thing in my world, though rules for sexual conduct are in most societies relatively strict.

Then again, I also have rampant slavery, child marriage, human sacrifices and other shit that some might find "problematic" as part of the settings, so maybe it's more a matter of perspective.

>Loosely based off of the CK2 mod After the End.
that's like a one to one conversion of their map dude

I'm creating two dnd campaigns at the moment
>the players work as the secret police for a large empire
>the players are part of a criminal ring of alchemists that make illegal potions(basicallly fantasy breakIng bad)
What would be some good world building tips if I'm creating a world for these kinds of campaigns be

Oh yeah I understand where you are coming from. I'm just trying to get a sense of how it works in a pop cultural sense - same way while angels are technically "Do not be afraid" eldritch horrors the pop cultural perception is angelic cherubs or pretty elves with wings. Likewise while proper hinduism is metaphysical and esoteric there is still a popular cultural storytelling or imagination of it.

After all, you can't put a lofty philosophical twist on Rama leading an army of flying monkeys to invade Sri Lanka and rescue his wife from a big bad demon. Unless I missed e̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶j̶o̶r̶ ̶1̶0̶1̶ Sanskrit major 101 interpretations of myth and how it's really an analysis on how our jealousy towards our spouses is really just a manifestation of our own emotional gestalt of the individualism felt since the arrival into adolescence and the paradoxical desire for acceptance and love with the ambition to set out our own identity and ego.

That or it's just because flying monkys are dope.

The map's very similar but the cultures and history are all different than those in the game

Would a ecumopolis be viable in real life?

For the first one I'd make it a dark and edgy world where the Imperial secret police are the good guys compared with the degenerates they're hunting.

For the second, I'd set in not-Renaissance Italy. Since it's a fantasy game, get creative with what the illegal potions do.

I don't see why not.

It would probably have to get all its food shipped in from agricultural planets. And I would expect them to devote a lot of energy towards climate maintenance (generating oxygen and scrubbing CO2 using machines, algae, etc.).

The main question is how they get in and out of the gravity well, since it will have to do a ton of shipping. If you don't have space elevators, it would probably get too expensive to maintain the city past a certain size, and it would become cheaper to just build space colonies.

I kind of want it to highlight the general attitudes and influences that the religions have had, these crusader states have absolutely no nudity in public and a person will be shamed to be seen like that while these Earthy people have no problem with casual nudity, and bathe in public.

>-How easily do they do it - a puff of magic or what
Depends on the Rakshasa
>-Can they take the form of someone and pretend to be them?
Depends on the Rakshasa
>-If they become a dragon do they gain the abilities of a dragon?
Depends on the Rakshasa
>-Their usual form (myth not D&D) they are depicted in - is that their normal appearance or is there no normal Rakshasa appearance?
Depends on the Rakshasa
>-Are there good Rakshasa?
Depends on the Rakshasa
>-Can they get along with and co-exist with humans without instantly wanting to binge on human tikka masala?
Depends on the Rakshasa

But more seriously, for points 2 and 3, there are a few myths that indicate that some Rakshasa (which are basically fey/independently minded demons, depending on your source material) have to eat the flesh of something to gain its form. There are even a few where the Rakshasa automatically transforms into the last thing it ate, and can also be trapped in that form, so if you trick a Rakshasa into eating pork, it becomes a pig, if you tricked a Rakshasa into eating the ashes of your dead wife, it becomes your wife, etc.
Point 4: Rakshasa are demons, their default form is horrific, huge, and depending on who was doing the sculpture/relief at the time, may or may not have barbed/hooked/made of fire crotches.
Point 5: Rakshasa can be good, in the same way Jin in arabic folklore can be good. They could be pretending, they could be doing good because they are immortal semi-phenominal cosmic beings and they get bored with slaughter and mayhem all the time, or they could have been directly converted by a saint or god.
Point 6: See above.

just depends who you're running a game for. Including things that are taboo(in whatever country you may be in) is generally ill advised if you intend on using the setting with randoms. If it's just you and your mates, it just depends on if they're cool with that kind of thing.

Also, make sure you don't act like everyone being naked is weird. It really undermines your world in front of your players

Does anyone have a mega link or something for the Kobold Guides?

Kobold guides?

This? It's a pdf.

Yes, but I want all of those kobold guides. Computer crashed recently and apparently my backups were glitched to all hell too.

Thanks for the pdf there!

No, in most developed and many undeveloped regions it's okay as long as it's something like your own property, the beach or a park. Really, it's only Anglo nations and nations the British colonized/conquered that frown on it a lot.

What's a good word for someone that wields powers stolen from dead gods?

Scion?

Haruspex(not 100% accurate but sounds good)

Doesn't quite fit the mood or idea I'm going for.

This is a little better.

The idea behind the setting is its a dying world where either the gods have died or left, and now the inhabitants are struggling to survive as the magic slowly drains. I need something that fits the idea of people who have recovered the powers of the divine through various means and are trying to gather as much power from the remaining fonts of magic.

Kind of the idea is faith fuels the gods and the gods fuel the magic, so icons of faith still have some magic. So groups are either trying preserve artifacts and holy sites in a last ditch effort, or draining them of the remaining magic and trying to install themselves as new gods.

A lot of the influence of the setting ideas is from Kill 6 Six Billion Demons, with the ideas of the keys made from the fragmented knowledge of God.

How's this for a starting area?

The direction of the water seems a bit weird but it seems fine overall.

No it's flowing north to south, I just didn't realize i wanted it that way so i had to move the compass around, lol.

I meant more in relation to the mountains and swamp.

>flowing north to south
Rivers don't split like that, even if they do, they don't stay split for long. It would make more sense if they flowed south to north, but then it's still weird in relation to the mountains, since water flows away from the mountains.

Also a scale would help. Right now the rivers look way too wide, but I'm not sure if that's just the scale.

Well, I'm thinking it flows out of the swamp across the plains, and splits because of a natural cliff. the swamps are fed by mountain run-off and a spring, I think that'll be off the map.

they can when humans or magic is involved , and sometimes natural obstacles, and most rivers flow north to south in our world i used that knowledge as a base, not sure how to explain it yet, or what the scale should be,

Any good name generators for space/science fantasy games?

Im making a starmap but im crap with names and I need fantasy sounding things.

there's one in the OP. friend, Fantasy name generator has sci-fi stuff on the website.

>they can when humans or magic is involved , and sometimes natural obstacles
Naturally, rivers rarely split and never for long, one of directions will become silted up and disappear over the course of about 1000 years. "lol magic" is a terrible way to go about explaining such things. Humans can probably split a river, but it's a large undertaking, and the question becomes "why bother." Even when they manage it, it will still not be for long.

>most rivers flow north to south in our world
No, most rivers flow downhill in our world, that's it. A shitload of rivers flows north. Rivers also flow west and east. Downhill is all that matters.

worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/riversno.htm

If you want to just use magic as a handwave then you don't really need opinions but this isn't really how any of this stuff works and that makes it look weird.

Okay, perhaps the event that made it split happened less than 1000, more than 500 years ago, say a mage wanted to see what would happen if he raised the land there and split the river, or he inadvertently caused the nearby volcano to erupt, large slice of rock landed there splitting the river and the forest there grew on top of the rock? and I'm sorry I was thinking of America perhaps, but thank you for the link
Okay, what should I change to not make it look weird? I don't know why but i originally had it going from the mountains near the volcano, and down from there but it felt wrong.

Well mountain streams feed downhill into lakes and larger streams and eventually rivers.
Swamps form when this downhill movement pools in a low area that doesn't have proper drainage for the water to continue on its way. That is, generally if there's poor enough drainage to form a swamp then it probably won't be feeding into a large river and if there's sufficient unrestricted water flow to feed a large river then a swamp probably isn't forming. That's of course not counting swampy areas that can form along rivers but that's not what you have in your map.

Well then, I'll change up the water some, although I think I'll make the swamp something to do with an evil Fey, (that's Unseelie generally right?) and have a tributary feed out of it rather than something as large as what I've got there.

If you added mountains to the south, so they formed a bit of a diagonal, and said that your river flows from south to the north, and also added some small rivers flowing east and into your large river from your western mountains, you'd have no problems.

Okay, I'm thinking you mean at sort of the bottom of the picture, I add some mountains going toward where the swamp is, at a diagonal. Then add a few tributaries from there to the river in the center and a few from the mountains already there down to the large river?

No, I'm saying add some mountains to the top left of the picture, so the mountains on top don't go in a line but in a bit of a diagonal or a curve, so it looks like the river originates in some mountains off screen and then flows parallel to the range. Then add some small rivers flowing from the top towards the main river. Then say that the river is flowing from left (south) to right (north) and into the swamp.

Okay thanks for clarifying, is this better?

Yeah that's workable.

Thanks for the help, now I need to work out a scale and perhaps size the rivers around the Circle shaped forest down some,

So how do you guys motivate yourself to worldbuild? Of your own will I mean, not because you're expected to by players

I just worldbuild whenever something inspires me to. Sometimes it's a series of song lyrics that cause something to click in my head other times I just rip things I like from other people's settings I like and adapt them.

If you don't feel like worldbuilding don't do it. If you're doing it for fun, only do it when it's fun

Because I see most of my settings as story-fuel. I don't usually make settings for campaigns (unless its my usual DnD one or my sci fi one for traveller).

Is there anything in particular that you are having problems with?

I only have to worldbuild when I get inspiration. I have a lot of indefinite projects, so I don't really feel the need to force anything.

I also divide worldbuilding into Adding and Refining, so doing one could inspire the other.

I only write something down when I get a particular idea. I just never feel any desire to actually expand on the initial ideas, so I was wondering how others got themselves to do so and create something actually tangible.

Well, high school math class provided good motivation.

I haven't stopped since.

I find that it's very nice to do ranking and hierarchy systems. Makes you get thinking about governments and how organizations work.

This works for militaries, religions, noble houses, governmental agencies, ect... It's also worth noting that not everything has to be super detailed. Just know how everything works in and the rest should come together. It also helps to think "how would i get a player/reader interested as playing as a person from this nation/race/ect". At least these work for me.

It's quite easy, whenever I should be doing something productive I usually retreat to my imaginary worlds

Guys I'm trying to come up with the basic factioms for a 70-90's styalized scifi skirmish combat game set on a massive privately owned asteroid that is now dubbed "Freeport."

Any faction ideas guys?

Mah nigga

My main hobby is creating creation myths. I have yet to create a creation myth that begins with the telling of a creation myth.

Rebel miners
Private security force
Local civilian terrorist group
Corporate soldiers sent to protect their interests on the 'roid
Invading pirate force

What do you think of my Kingdom that I will use in D&D

General info:
>Nudora was founded roughly 400 years ago by King Francis the II of Vadaland

>The capital of Avon is a major hub for the trade in the region, with the exception of the merchant cityof Barnstaple. Many guilds of various kinds have their headquarters in Avon.

>The Dragonscorch Plains was the location of a mighty battle over 100 years ago between the Nudorian army and a mighty Red Dragon. Even today the area is still mostly burning and devoid of life.

>The Rocky Highlands is a small mountain range that is home to small stronghold of Dwarves that have proven to be good allies to the Kingdom. They are the main producers of armour and weapons to the soldiers of Nudora, it is said that the forgers inside Mahzak Runehold never goes cold. But the rocky highlands have also proven to be home to small goblin tribes and Troll lairs.

>The Druuss Woods is a large forest that is yet largley unexplored with the exception of a few forest paths and the main road that leads to the small city of Logton. It's from Logton where the best lumber in the realm comes from.

>The Greenwind Woods fairly large but still smaller than Druuss Woods. The main road that cuts through the forest leads to the small elven realm of Avineth

>The Wild Deep is the Ocean that leads down south to Kingdom of Vana and other more distant lands.

>The Border to Vana is nothing special as the relations between Nurdora and Vana are at this point fairly good.

>Tahm Lake is the largest lake in Nudora, and it is connected to the Toadblight Swamp and it's waters flow out into the Shimmering Bay

>The Pelor Shrine at the heart of Tahm is a large shrine dedicated to Pelor. Pelor is the god of the Sun, Light, Strength, and Healing, and many farmers, clerics and warriors often travel there at somepoint in order to wish for good crop yields, curing illneses or wish for greater power.

That's it for now, it's still WIP, just FYI.

In a setting I am working on, there is a country roughly analogous to the Ottoman Empire in both scope and terrain.

What makes this place special is that there are a bunch of eldritch abominations/demon gods trapped/sleeping underground that 'eat' bad things, for lack of a better term.

The five biggest ones:
Kresh - Murderer of Nightmares
Sulsh - Eater of Darkness
Meash - Thief of Lies
Wsoksh - Perverter of Illness
Fitsh - Pillager of Death

My question to you is what do you think a civilization would look like where 99% of the time the breath was stolen from your lungs when you went to lie (and the 1% is when the lie you would have told would begat much more lies), and you can't even put down falsehoods on paper? Where when you started to have a nightmare, a giant made of void and stars strode into your dreams and rent the nightmare in twain, leaving you to peaceful, dreamless sleep? Where a small but significant number of times someone would come down with an illness or die, there was a visible corona around them as that instance of sickness or death was forcibly removed from existence? Where, except for the magics granted by these beings and a few other special cases, in a world where minor magic is very common across the population, magic doesn't work or is severely curtailed?

I'd imagine that first and foremost, they'd be as xenophobic as you can get, given anyone from outside has grown up being able to lie. On the opposite side of that, books, plays, and stories from the outside world would be very valuable, given that its nearly impossible for anyone to make anything up. All foreign books would have to be prefaced in bold with "THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION! (FICTION IS SOMETHING THAT IS NOT TRUE)" even on necessarily scholarly works, if the lies thing functions on absolute truth.

I was gone from the internet for a very long time, are there still write-threads? I love reading other peoples world-building ideas as stories.

Has /wbg/ ever done a collaboration project? Even one where you attempt to blend a bunch of different settings together?

>are there still write-threads?
There are "storythreads", which are basically writing (mostly short story and fanfiction) writing exercises. They don't usually overlap with world-building in my experience though.

They get made every other Thursday and used to stay alive for around 10 days, but lately we have been really sloppy in maintaining them, the last two archived before reaching bump limit. There should be a new one up next week, I think.

Sci-fi game. The PCs were humans, rebuilt as robots following catastrophic accidents. Each one now has two linked bodies: a humanoid android, and a 15' colossus.

Which do you find most compelling:
>The PCs are part of a resistance movement against a totalitarian state. Light-hearted and more Jet Set Radio than Nineteen Eight-Four.
>The PCs wake up centuries after their human deaths, and find themselves the only things standing between the few remaining humans and the now-dominant machines.
>The PCs are the elite vanguard of an interstellar exploratory corps, built to conquer alien worlds - until they refuse to go back in the box after a mission.
>Something else.

>Has /wbg/ ever done a collaboration project?
There has been a lot of attempts and collective world building threads are being made every few days, but it usually does not work out very well, the results are usually pretty terrible. Collective world-building works among close group of friends with very united vision of what they want to make, but doing it randomly with a bunch of random folks on the internet does not usually work out so well.

>>The PCs are part of a resistance movement against a totalitarian state. Light-hearted and more Jet Set Radio than Nineteen Eight-Four.

THE CONCEPT OF LOVE