Rogue Stars General: EU Has The Best Models Edition

Link to rules:
>mega.nz/#!XQgHGCRB!C7YKH9HSPxHfgPVpTHAWvl3v9ldMDpUMfaL8OcA7myQ

Check out Human Interface Nakamura Tower.

The Black Stone Commandoes and Human AI Hybrids are legit.

Post squads, drum up house rules, chat about things you would liked to have seen in Rogue Stars.

Personally, I'm using the Kurganova range and deciding between Space Pirates, Mercenaries, and Bounty Hunters.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI
ufwg.weebly.com/
drive.google.com/open?id=0B8-5xUv2ZVE-cVV4alFkcjJSLXc
wildwestexodus.com/4033-lawmen
bitsaddiction.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/zone mortalis
battlebox3d.com
steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160
shapeways.com/shops/admiralducksauce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

File is gone.

mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI

Try that.

We had a good run last thread, but perhaps this would be better discussed in /awg/. I don't think this game is known enough to support its own General.

Not with that attitude.

Anyways...
I've got mostly old west and sci-fi terrain so I've been tinkering with the idea of a space pulp setting.

I'm in the process of assembling two teams from Black Scorpion, but I've also been trawling through eBay trying to assemble a few more teams.

Second team.

>I've got mostly old west and sci-fi terrain

The good thing about this game is that you don't need many models, so you've got more time to spend making terrain. It's likely that our group will be using some of the old WorldWorksGames boards they made for Malifaux as the basis, but all those different scenarios and locations beg for a cupboard full of terrain to get built.

Has anyone figured out how to work in drones or hounds? I've got some kroot hounds and Warlord Antares drones I'd like to use if possible.

For the drones I've been wondering how to deal with the fact that they've got no visible arms/legs. Perhaps just consider the damage to hidden/retracted appendages or hover systems.

Spend the extra XP to make them built-in weapons?

Right, that solves one problem, but it doesn't count for the fact that the model has no physical arms or legs, and hovers.
I guess I could just count leg hits as hits to the "propulsion system" and say that it's got retracted "arms" or something.

Oh definitely. Kicking around a couple ideas; thinking I might substitute spaceship for mine shaft or I don't know... maybe a giant mechanical spider.

No idea how to even start that.

You might want to look into wild west exodus for some plastic fun.

Fuck, Rogue Stars is going to be the death of me. I've got loads of models that I've picked up over the years because they looked neat and never got to put them on the table, and now this is going to be an excuse to get more stuff because it looks neat.

The Wild West Exodus stuff looks fun. I might pick this motherfucker up to use for an obligatory "big trait + machine gun" dude.

whoops, forgot pic

Same here, I already had the problem with Dragon Rampant for fantasy models...

Post pics of you squads.
user from yesterday. First row is painted, second row is wip. Currently writing up a list for them.

Nice mutants! Very different. Wouldn't mind finding a good alien race to do for a squad since I already have my Human style force.

bümp

>Wouldn't mind finding a good alien race to do for a squad since I already have my Human style force.
What are you looking for?
Personally I've been eyeing the mantic Dreadball teams. I figure if you slap a few guns and doodads on them you could represent the different loadout options from the game, but you got a pretty decent and consistent team of aliens/robots.
There are also a bunch of smaller companies that do weird aliens. Even if they just have 4 or 5 different models that's enough for Rogue stars.

Then you got basically every single d&d critter you can think of. Just slap some guns on those guys to sci-fi them up and you are good to go.
The Otherworld Troglodytes/Lizardmen look great for example. With some rebreathers and a bit of armor they'd make great sci-fi aliens.

The Frostgrave Gnolls are compatible with the Cultist sci-fi weapons pack from Northstar, and should also take GW plastic arms reasonably well and consequently everything from third party aftermarket companies.

And that's before you start really converting something even more whacky.

I've been considering getting some familiar packs from reaper for example with the deep sea fish and put them as head on other models to create some freaky outerspace horrors.
Fish kind of creep me out.

I already know I'm gonna burn more money than I have to spend on getting random odds and ends for this game.

Kind of similar to the OP image. Big, somewhat smart, and intimidating.

Not quite humanoid. Those Veil Fall minis are neat, but I can't find them on the web anywhere. I might check out some of the Dreadball stuff.

Teraton Shock Trooper looks neat as a Heavy.

>Kind of similar to the OP image. Big, somewhat smart, and intimidating.
This guy has it's own miniature.
Granted he isn't exactly captured very well imo.

Have you considered using a GW ork/orc/orruk or a mantic Marauder?
With a headswap you'd have the same posture and bulk the guy in the artwork has.
Just gotta find a mean looking face for him then.

>Those Veil Fall minis are neat, but I can't find them on the web anywhere.
Not sure what you mean with Veil Fall. If it's a reference to something it went right over my head. Which minis do you mean?

If you meant the wold dudes from here
you can find them here.
ufwg.weebly.com/
atm the only thing they sell

What about the Mantic Sphyr or the Ogre looking dudes from the Reb faction? A cut tail and shaved head crest for the Sphyr might work.

It was from Veil Falls from every link I checked.

Im thinking I'll likely be running my USAriadna as a band of mercs.

>It was from Veil Falls from every link I checked.
Sorry if I'm being slow here, but I still don't understand what you mean by Veil Falls.
Googling it just bring up a bunch of wikipedia articles for waterfalls.
Is it another wargame or what do you mean?

It showed those Wolf models that were posted in here.

Damn, what a shame. That looks no where near as cool as the OP Art.

those are from under fire games linked here
>ufwg.weebly.com/

So my brother and I are looking forward to this game because we have a game where we can play our homebrew scifi setting in it. Something we have been brewing for several years.

One dilemma though, we are having a hard time finding a suitable mini for one of the races. I am no stranger to converting and greenstuffing, i just need a suitable group of minis that have similar sizes and builds as pic related. I can get away with the heads by using helmets from other things, and the second smaller arms i can add to it from other minis.

Any ideas?

As much fun as I have Osprey's games they publish, North Star makes some ugly models for there games.

The author posted something made by a fan on the Facebook page.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B8-5xUv2ZVE-cVV4alFkcjJSLXc

Suggested rules for simplified gameplay. For beginners or convention play.

Nah. My FLGS has those models in stock and they are pretty fucking niceactually.

They are a bit smaller than your regular heroic scale minis, and this kind of paintjob looks pretty striking from a few feet away, but does not translate well on photographs.
If you had a 'Eavy Metal painter paint them up, you'd probably feel different about it.

And you got a mini that tried to translate the dynamic mid-spell effect from the cover with the flying hair and all, but fell short of that.

If you look at the unpainted minis you'll know what I mean. There are better and worse ones in each miniatures range of course, but in general they are pretty nice.

Imagine if Corvus Belli had painted their minis in this style instead of Angel's super crisp smoothly blended competition level painting. You'd probably feel different about the models too.

Oh yeah, just to add to that, Mark Copplestone is great with humans, but creatures and aliens like from the artwork here are not really his strong point.
He also didn't really get the dynamic of the shape language and all that. So yeah, the Rogue Stars minis are a bit disappointing for everything non-human I agree with that.

Was just saying that the humans - and Frostgrave is mostly human sculpts - look pretty good.

Granted, not all the models look bad, but what they present in books and on there web site, I can convince myself to buy it.

can't convince myself to buy them. *

I can see how from a technical stand point they are sound but I just haven't seen anything from that studio that appeals to me.

Dunno if that helps at all, but here's a pic of two of the minis next to their minis from the store page next to something i figure is a little more familiar to most of us.

Anyone know how to get this guy without buying the entire Forge Father Army Pack?

$5 @cardhaus

Rulebook arrived in the post this morning!

How the hell did you find that?

This board is full of nerds. Sometimes I just roll with it.

I mean that was like CSI level of model searching.

Has anyone done any Necromunda cross-overs for this?

No, but this system goes deeper into the gameplay and less so on the gang progression system. I think it would work well though. Just a bit different of a game.

Yeah. The rules are pretty adaptable.
You could do Colonial Aliens vs Xenomorphs including stealth and motion detectors even.
Or a predator for that matter.
Or a Deathwatch killteam.
Or a really detailed space hulk thingy.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I look forward to digging into the crunch.

Yeah, nerds.

I've got something in mind for a giant rock monster with a platform on its back. This represents his carry capacity as he moves around the field and his diminiative allies shoot from on high. Any ideas to work into this?

Hounds would be Fast, Agile, Reactive, Claws, Difficult Target, Alert, Diminutive if small enough, Free Disengage, and maybe Insectoid for flavor.

Mineral, Huge, Reactive, Power Armour, Two guns that you like (Submachine Guns would work), Extra Arms, Tough, Ambidexterity, Alert, Heavyworlder, and add flavor.

Drones would be Agile, Fast, Difficult Target, Danger Sense, and some other traits you like.

Thanks again for finding that.

I'm thinking of doing scrappy police bots (à la Tetra Vaal or the droids from Elysium), and I wasn't quite sure from reading the rules so I just wanted to confirm here;

If I give my robo-cop a cyber-weapon (neuro-whip, baton, etc), can I still give him a two-handed ranged weapon?

It says the hand can be used to wield other equipment, but I just wanted to be sure.

What models are you going to use for that?

Pretty sure you can have them on you, just have to spend an action to draw/swap weapons.

The book tells you the number of weapons a model can carry and wield at one time.

Still not sure desu, I've been scouring the net for anything that doesn't resemble a master chief clone or ED209. Victory Force Mini's has some okay looking victory bots though.

I've got some leftover Skitarii I could use, might just paint up their cloaks to look like duster coats.

Tall Man from Dark Age aren't bad. The DRG-Y makes for a nice Melee heavy. With some converting it could be a ranged biggun.

check out human interface. Maybe they got something you can use

Only bad part is they're based out of the EU.

For me it's the other way around.

Can you get your hand on some of these though? Northstar also sells Copplestone figures, and I think Frostgrave is sold overseas as well, right?

If you add some tau antenna or a strip of plastic card or some wire for the antenna/bunny ears and a paintjob like here these could work pretty well too.

There are some here with dusters?

wildwestexodus.com/4033-lawmen

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with traits.

Your Theme and Discipline can help also push your units even further. It can really help you sell that story.

Which unit(s) were the ones you needed help with?

can you play it like a dungeon crawler?

You sure can. Might have to tweak how your opponent plays a bit. This system is super flexible.

We did.

How did it go?

if you are playing a 5-model-game you should paint your 5 models *lol*

He was probably getting a feel for it. I'm still waiting on my models to show up.

Played my first game the other day. Gestalt is really good for Psionic squads and Teleport+Mindbolt is a very nasty combination.

Both are bad, but I'd much rather use unpainted models on a good board than gloriously painted miniature masterpieces on most of the tabletops I see. That's a damn good board.

and hopefully they'll paint their minis eventually, gonna handwave and say they're just caught up in the new game excitement

(seriously though, if people spent half what they spend on minis and rulebooks in a year on terrain, things would be much prettier... except, wait, they'll just buy buildings, everyone does that, no-one puts any effort into hills and trees and shit. sigh.)

It was our first game, but it went well. We played on an area of 3x3, but you could get away with less due to the really limited los

I really don't need to explain myself to you but i'm in the middle of painting another army. They will have to wait their turn.

I've got a whole drawer of stuff from my work that consists of plastic tubes about a 4" long with a 1" diameter, wide plastic short cylinders, bunch of cheesecloth, and a large piece of hardboard. Just never got around to making scatter terrain which is what I am in dire need of.

Where's that scenery from? Where can I get my hands on it? It looks awesome!

It's a set of zone mortalis tiles I made myself using hirst arts molds.

bitsaddiction
dot
blogspot
dot
com/search/label/zone%20mortalis

This is all the posts of the project

Change the URL to .co.nz and you can post the link here.

bitsaddiction.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/zone mortalis

Nice stuff though.

Very interesting, I didn't know I could do that. Good 2 know

Alright, I feel like doing something nice, so here's what I'm going to do:

battlebox3d.com is a free alternative to Tabletop Simulator and the like. Personally, between the two I like it better. It includes Direct Connect, which means connecting to someone's game is easy.

Here's Tabletop Simulator's workshop:
steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160
It contains a vast number of community made models. If you guys tell me which models and sets you want from here, I'll download and convert them to be BB3D compatible, then upload them to a MEGA folder.

In other words, I'll give you guys the tools you need to get Veeky Forums playing Rogue Stars online for free.

Not that user, but...
That's pretty nice. I have tabletop simulator, so I'll look into that.

I haven't done much with Psionics. Just was going to have a latent psi guy in my squad by taking just the Psionic trait.

Any X Com alien miniatures anywhere?

Mass effect miniatures?

>Any X Com alien miniatures anywhere?
There's a board game by FFG. Could paint those up.
I've seen a handful of similar designs that I believe might have been inspired, but none that really were well done as far as i can recall.
Generic greys and the like should be easy enough to find though.

>Mass effect miniatures?
As a matter of fact there are.
I remember seeing some of the characters in a boutique shop. Don't recall the name anymore though. Not a fan of the game so i didn't think too much of it.
With a bit of googling you should be able to find something though.
Hasslefree has some really nice sci-fi sculpts that could work with the right paintjob though.

I think Studio McVey might have had a mini inspired by the red guy, Wrex what's his face.
Was a limited edition resin mini, if memory serves.

oh yeah and come to think of it I think Infinity had a mini that looked a lot like tali and they have an entire faction of artichoke faced guys.
Gates of antares has an entire faction that look like those blue sex aliens with head tentacles.

Yeah and shapeways. There are Fauxigans, i.e. crogans.

Mantic might be worth a look too, their dreadball and deadzone games have all kinds of aliens.
Maybe you can use one of those as the alien scientist dude.

Mars attacks also has a squad of random aliens in armored space suits.

found it
shapeways.com/shops/admiralducksauce
gonna stop spamming the thread now.

pg. 10 bump

Gates of Antares has some decent models.

Some, yeah. I bought the new starter set, the 50USD one - the plastics are decent, and the concord will make a great militia / star cops.

Unfortunately, it means I may have to become slightly interested in GoA

If the freeborn were in a starter I'd consider dipping a toe into it.

I like the concord too, but they area tiny bit too generic. I mean I like the clean retro sci-fi vibe they have, but they are missing the je ne se quois.

The Algoryn Infiltrators look good. Along with the heavy troopers.

Boromite don't make for bad heavies either.

I got the Mantic Helfather on the way. Now my group can have some variance between the Kurganova ladies. Also got a Mantic Strider.

Some of the above mentioned GoA models would be good for variety sake.

Interesting. Noticed that this game could probably run a Mass Effect themed campaign.

I think some of the NuHu models or Concord generals would make great psions or vips

Infinity has a few sillouette 2 (humanoid) remotes in Aleph and Yu Jing factions. Devabots and Karakuri might be neat to use.

Concord look good* if you paint 'em up like Samus. Algoryn have a bit of a Mass Effect vibe to them, I think?

a bit, yeah. They kind of have a Turian vibe - minus the helmets.

Better than most stuff I've seen out there.

So, does no one want free virtual Rogue Stars?

Oh yeah, I think if you combined them with the heads on the shapeways link up the thread, you'd have some dead ringers.

Honestly? No.
I'm not a fan of virtual tabletop.

Problem for me is I don't need boxes of them. Just a few guys here and there. eBay hasn't been too good on that front.

I get you. It doesn't help that Warlord is trying to sell metal singles at approx 6USD either

Aren't they run by ex-GW staff? That'd explain the pricing.

Gates of Antares is Rick Priestly's project, yeah.
It's a shame, since their historical stuff is not unfairly priced.

I'm probably going to use a couple of my old Dakini Tactbots from Infinity in a crew. I've got a REM-heavy Nomad list for Infinity as well that'll probably get cannibalised for Rogue Stars.