Feels Thread

Share your Veeky Forums related feels
Last thread

>tfw writefag
>tfw really happy with current project (so far)
>tfw it's too niche to be shareable in any real capacity
Feels both good and bad, man.

Since i didnt share in the op ill drop one here
>tfw GM
>tfw people are actually sad when a session is cancelled for whatever reason
>tfw i feel sad because i let them down

>tfw forever gm
>tfw want to run an RP heavy game but my group only plays murderhobos
>tfw players ignore every plot hook that doesn't lead to money or rare items

When yo ST is a fat fuck who marysue-plot his dopey girlfriend's character when you and another nigguh start asking questions

Daang I really need to get up and write stuff.

>find a group of friends online
>they're cool people, encourage stuff that I find interesting
>we know each other well enough that even for all our differences in ideas of what games should be like, we can work through it
>they're all people I'd love to game with
>tfw not enough overlapping free time for games
>tfw haven't been in a proper game for months now

It's so frustrating. I find people that I want to game with, I can't. I find people I can game with, I don't really want to play with them.

On a happier note, I'm getting back into the wargaming side of the hobby, at least as far as model building goes. It's slow, frustrating work, but I want to stick with it so I can say I've done something.

>TFW I revived my favorite game from the brink of death
>TFW I actually have a character in internal conflict over whether or not to accept help from a dubious source
>TFW I'm about to bring back a long-time villain
>TFW shit is finally about to go down ever since things slowed down for over three months
Time to light a fire under some asses.

>big writefag
>big depressive
>writing helps
>running games keeps me social, keeps me from being a hermit
>make a few friends, mostly play online, occasionally in person
>one day the longest-running of them sends me a private message
>"user, if you wrote books I'd buy every fucking one."
>someone likes something I made
>maybe it's not all bad all the time

Same depressive, I have another

>got into 40k around 12-13 years old
>few space marines painted various colors of thicc
>love the tech priest concept, love the big machines, love the robots
>space marines close enough
>eventually too poor for 40k
>current year, not so poor anymore
>buy a few Skitarii to see if I still like models
>have a wonderful time
>put together the army that I wanted when I was ten, just in time for Armies on Parade
>army I poured my heart and soul into
>battled depression, lumpy primer, limited cash
>good thing Brexit blew up the pound
>they have the vote
>my little guys take home the bronze

Gold and silver were absolutely insane offerings, gold said he'd been working on his board for years. From the first box of Skitarii to the last touch on my board it took me six months. I was still painting the board the morning of the contest.

That whole day will always be a treasured memory.

Sometimes just hearing someone say something you did was good's enough to stop you feeling like shit for a few weeks. It's a great feeling.

bump

Bump from 9

I refuse to let this thread die, I need more feels.

> dl'd the red box D&D Basic set Players Handbook yesterday
> showed my wife, she wanted to play the solo adventure
> wanted me to DM it
> she created a cat-person (felpurr) with human fighter stats
> helped her figure out the riddle with very tame clues
> she managed to run from the creature at "Beware West" without damage
> ran west, fucked up the next foe, found the loot
> died to the thing that was protecting the loot in complete bs
> I just read the rest of the choices to her, there were only a few more.
> she was happy, gave me a beej
> now I happy too

Keep this alive a few more hours, I have a session at 9

>grow up in south east asia despite being english
>never got to try anything nerdy besides vidya
>super awkward and shy, bullied for years and only had a small number of friends
>finally return to england for uni
>join a society of nerds, sign up for a rpg that is being run that semester
>character was a beast changeling with no combat or social skills, just good at running
>have lots of fun and make friends
>jump forward six years
>I love roleplaying and over the course of my experience I stopped playing awkward stealth characters
>now most characters are charismatic/the leader of the group
>my social anxiety is gone, I've found the person within me that I was when I was a child
>I finally love myself again

> sketching out plot elements and scene ideas for game
> couple m80s playing evil characters responsibly
> thinking about presenting personalized redemption arcs
> friends interested in NPCs (except that one who doesn't realize how big of a deal some of what NPC friends has told her is)
> looking forward to running my game as much as I look forward to playing these days
> m80 in game surprised to hear I don't like combat and feel inadequate and boring with my offerings there; hadn't noticed or guessed

Things could be worse

>be 19
>stuck in shirty small town indefinitely
>met some friends who wanted me to game with them
>fuckyes.jpg
>start with Shadowrun, and it was the greatest thing I had experienced
>I was expecting more of a vidya thing where I was railroaded to hell
>that campaign ends after a while
>guy that ran that campaign was run out of the group
>he was kind of a divk, admittedly, but he liked me.
>everything goes kinda downhill from there
>games aren't as fun to play
>never finish another campaign
>all my characters are bland and samey
>now I'm starting to resent the people I play with
I just need a new crowd, Veeky Forums

That's such a good feel, right?

What I've been doing is every once in a while I go to an open mic night just for fun. The MC has said "There's only one George Carlin, there's only one Richard Pryor, there's only one [me]." Like, that's not a thing he does for everyone. It's an amazing rush.

All that to say, keep up the good work.

By the way, would it be cool if I posted this project? It's pretty short and it would make this a better feel.

Post away, writebro.

>have literal autism and social anxiety
>have difficulty doing anything, just forget to and run out of time
>finally find a LGS with fun players
>actually, getting outside and socializing over a game of Magic is pretty fun
>think I might be able to find a group
Things are looking up.

We're always here for writefags.

A'ight. It's still in progress, of course, but so far I've only shared it with one other person and I wanna know if it's achieving its goal.

>I sniffled, but managed to smile. “I thought you said I became a woman when--”
>“You know what I mean.”
I laughed.

You wanted to know if it's achieving it's goal, but what is its goal? What's the point to the stories? Because I like them (could use some minor editing for grammar and maaaaaybe word choice, but damn good for a WIP), but I'm still looking for the "point" or the "plot."

Funny, that's the line my friend singled out too.

The goal is to be cozy as fuck.

Like, I also write smut sometimes. And this is like that, except the goal emotion is "cozy" instead of "horny".

Were most of the awkward word choices in scenes 4 and 5? I moved some stuff around there, so I might've missed some mistakes.

Don't hope, it is a poison

None of the word choices were really awkward, just...not enough, y'know? The story itself was nice, but some of the descriptions were a bit flat. The one that stood out to me was actually in scene 1 (although maybe that's because it was the first one I noticed):
>He was covered in wounds, but the only one I really noticed in the moment was that his arm was bitten nearly clean off.
Grammatically, perfectly sound. Logically, makes perfect sense. However, maybe it's just me, but I feel like it could be a touch more descriptive and evocative:
>He was covered in wounds, mostly minor, but the only one I noticed at that moment was his arm - dangling loosely from his shoulder by tattered strands of skin and muscle, like some great beast had tried to bite it off.
I know "show don't tell" is a meme, and sometimes an incorrect one at that - sometimes it's best to let imagination fill in the gaps - but "bitten nearly clean off" doesn't really give anything. As various writers have said, you want to carry the reader into the scene.

Oh, and a few other things I noticed in my other favorite scene:
>Supper was a bit overcooked. The spellcaster told us about the time the band was cornered in a cave and it a last-ditch fire spell which had driven off the trolls. He was, in fact, describing the smell of their roasting flesh when I caught a whiff of smoke in my nose, and it took me a moment to realize it wasn’t my imagination. I pulled the seared meat from the oven in a panic.
I love the imagery, but...definitely need some grammar checking.
>and it a last-ditch fire spell
Don't know quite what you were going for here.
>caught a whiff of smoke in my nose
"in my nose" isn't necessary; the phrase is just "caught a whiff of smoke." You wouldn't say that you smelled something in your nose, and this is the same thing.
>seared meat
Seared is usually a descriptor of well-cooked meat. Try "overdone" or "slightly blackened" instead.

Now, none of these things are really damning. This is a rough draft, it's when you're supposed to make and then correct these mistakes. The stories themselves are wonderful, actually - please, keep writing them.

Maybe this is just my personal bias talking, though, but the one major thing I think they need is a plot - a reason for us to care about this girl. I mean, the stories are comfy as fuck, but I'd like something for her to do, you know?

Very helpful, thank you.

There's sort of a loose plot tracking the progress of her life (it continues on into old age, when she spends the days eagerly waiting for letters from her adventurer daughter), but the main idea is focusing on filling out her personal "world". That's what I mean when I say this project is "niche". Most people want story-stories, not comfort-smut fantasy (in both meanings of the word) vignettes. Regular smutty-smut is a much easier sell. Which seems unfair, but whatever.

Incidentally, if you don't mind, I'm at a minor crossroads. Should she go to the Crown city for her licensing exam, or should the examiner come to her?

The advantage of the former is that it's a chance to expand the Very Cozy Fantasy Setting, which is part of how this started.

The advantage of the latter is sort of thematic. So far, as far as we've seen, the protagonist has never left her hometown. I could stay with that, which feeds back into the Very Cozy Scenes' goal of looking at one relatively unremarkable person in an unremarkable town. Which then has sort of a payoff in her daughter becoming an adventurer.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

Why were you in Southeast Asia?

My dad got a job working as an engineer over there so my family uprooted to work. 18/25 years spent on the other side of the world. I still don't understand this place very well.

The term for someone like me is 'Adult Third Culture Kid'.

Which country, specifically?

I'm not fat, Robert.

Too bad you're still jobless and overweight user-kun.

Sorry, had to leave for a while. I'd say the latter, but with a twist - she happens to mention it to one of the adventurers as she's stitching him and his friends up, whereupon he reveals that he's fully qualified to be an examiner, the skills she just demonstrated would pass any exam he could give, and he'll send her a certification as soon as he returns to Crown City.

Malaysia, nothing impressive really. Lots of rain, humid and very hot. Really racist, in both funny and frustrating ways.

These threads are not for bully, user-kun

I already had some ideas in mind about how it would play out, and what I WAS going to say is "I won't rule out that suggestion completely, though", but then I figured out what it could be while I was in the act of typing out my response.

Do you speak Malay now?

Doesn't -kun refer to someone who's your junior? How can you both be -kun to each other?

Is this one of those "how can a man be his own grandfather" riddles?

>tfw DM for a year and only get to play a character once or twice every few months.

>tfw my main group isn't as fun as my side group.

>tfw my main group are shit, and the only good player is a complete asshole out of game.

>tfw ex-gf in main group dumped me because she started hanging out with other people and ignored me for months on end

>tfw want to end main game to focus on side game with fun players and best friend

>painting Skitarii Kill Team
>suck at painting
>T H I C C
>fourth Secutarii on the painting table
>others in various states of stripped
>finally get a white on the cloak that's not thick
>smooth, well shaded in the creases with skin tones
>somehow managing a passable glow effect on the eyes and backpack as well

Why don't you?

>Tell players I'll craft the campaign heavily around their characters
>Ask for each of them to give me a short pitch of their characters so I can start prepping
>Tell them that the faster they can give me something to work with the faster we can get this campaign going
>2 weeks later only one player have bothered sending me any character details
It's not like I've asked them to give me a full character sheet. I just want a basic idea of what they'd like to play.

Have you tried online? Some of the people online might also be shit, but at least you have choice.

Don't you dare feel sad.
Use that time to refine your materials/ideas for next time if it irks you.

>make up my own setting and write a few chapters of a story basically just introducing it, then post it online because I figured that way my friends would see it without me forcing it on them.
>most attention I've ever gotten on anything I've ever posted on that site, and mostly good comments.
>friends want me to write more.
>they still bug me about it 5 years later.

I never got around to finishing that story, mostly because I think I'll screw it up if I continue so late after it was originally written.

Have you tried allowing the plot to move along without them?

Keep poking them and prodding them and even slapping them and telling them to go. Maybe even get them together for the sake of discussing ideas for the characters. If push comes to shove, just threaten to cancel the game, and hopefully that will light a fire under them.

IDK about you or that user, but I loathe feeling like I'm having to drag friends to my game and force them to play. And that's assuming they actually WANT to and my dragging is welcome.

Dump those fuckers, OP. Find some friends online, run for them.

The idea was that rather than it being some random adventurer who happened to also be able to accredit the protagonist's healing license, she would have the examiner come to town, and then (s)he would be the one who got injured.

And the reason I didn't just say that earlier is that I figured I'd just knock out the rest of the Very Cozy Scene and post it. But I wound up digressing hard and now it looks like there's another Very Cozy Scene that happens first.

Sidenote: I'm sorta developing this running joke of adventurers always having bizarre and egregious injuries.

Grab your stuffies and some hot cocoa, Veeky Forums, it's time to continue being cozy.

Bump. Its rare to find a thread where I want to read every post.

The problem is there are relatively few where there's a good way to respond. So unless people are constantly adding their own feels the thread sinks.

As great as that story is, I just wanna be sure you know that's not a good way to GM.

"But user," you say, "that's very obviously at the heart of the joke."

And yet I've seen people insist that's how TTRPG narratives should work. Don't be that person.

>show a longtime friend and group member a homebrew class I've been working on
>he offers to playtest it for me

What's the class?

>tfw you are totally unexcited for the current game you're running
>But incredibly excited for the next game that someone else is running

It's tough planning stuff when all you can think about is the next thing down the line. I mean, I like GMing and all, but I just can't get into the game. And because of that, I can't plan or anything.

It's always a good feel when someone likes your homebrew anything enough to want to play it. Back when we still played Pathfinder, that stuff would happen all the time.

I hear you. I'm doing editing on a book for 1d4chan right now.

What about?

Also, am I crazy, or did there used to be dedicated writefaggotry threads, or both?

I used to do them all the time before I got a job. there's still other people making them on weekends, once in a while.

The book is a philosophical story about a pair of physically opposite but personally aligned Paladins working together to prevent a cult of Bane from sacrificing thousands upon thousands of children to open a two-way, permanent planar portal to the Banehold. The catch is that one of them is a Succubus who was rejected from her batch for having been accidentally given a soul. She was de-brainwashed and basically reprogrammed by a good goddess and enlisted in that goddess' army. It's not a horror story exactly, but there are some really scary parts. Like this paralyzed child being tortured in the Abyss, for instance. Despite the presence of a sex devil, though, its not a romance. None of the sex is consensual. There are some pretty good fight scenes in it, though.

Could be an interesting read.

I hope so.

It's so easy to tell horror stories in the Realms, but existential ones. It's not really possible for there to be a permanent victory in it, according to Greenwood himself. Something new always goes wrong. This whole story arc, for all the party members, show how people struggle against it in their own ways.

>Players forget important details like the name of the city they're in
>All the goddamn time
>People spend so much time between posts it's difficult to tell if someone quit or just waiting
I swear, PbP Is so much more fucking trouble than it's worth sometimes.

That was supposed to be directed at that. Here have an Aasimar.

The worst part is that his character was made up with a character sheet using the Aasimar stats from the DMG, not the new Volo stuff, so he's completely out of canon now.

I can get that, but in my experience, unless players are pressured or really motivated somehow, especially in online games, they're going to be lazy about getting shit done. It may not even be that they're bad players, it's just that other things are distracting, or they keep putting it off because there's no definite start date to the game.

Best thing my last online DM did was constantly pressing us - every day, getting us together and working on our characters, until we could start the campaign the very next day. Then things relaxed once we got on a guaranteed weekly schedule.

what a cosy collection of characters

Fuck you Darryl. Having like 20 crows knock me off a building while yo hoe is in possession or some highlander faggotry.

>tfw the game has been clearly your magnum opus of the hobby before leaving it and it's going to end in a year and you want to make it right for all the effort and years they put in

My brother.
Three goddamn years hammered into this thing, I'm not about to let it sputter out.

bump

>Want to discuss stuff like houserules and homebrew
>Feel like I'm annoying everyone I tell anything to, even people in the tabletop chat I frequent
>If I post on Veeky Forums it'll probably just garner replies of shitposting or telling me to kill myself
It sucks not having someone to bounce ideas off of. Even shitty ideas.

>tfw 14 years old, running my first game, very excited as I grew up with my parent's roleplay books.
>tfw when my equally 14 years old players manage to ruin all my plans.
>Develop (non-tg related) social anxiety in teenage years because teenage years.
>Fast forward 9 years. Move to the big city for studies. Still socially anxious.
>Can hang out with online friends in real life, now.
>tfw when people are really interested in playing ttrpgs with you again.
>tfw when social anxiety gradually fades out.
>tfw when your players call your latest session "metal as fuck".
>tfw when a player gets so emotionally involved she almost cries when she unravels the mystery plot.
>tfw when a player writes a novel of a backstory that faithfully follows your setting.
Tabletop games mostly give me good feels.To the point where if I'm feeling down, I can usually make myself smile by thinking about my latest or next game session.

Really? I post homebrew in /5eg/ every so often and I've gotten lots of really helpful input.

Drat. I was going for "cozy" more than "cosy".

That sounds like a great feel.

When I worked in a game/puzzle store, I was actually able to approach and talk to people. Normally even just thinking about that would be enough to put me in cold sweats. It just felt so great to talk about something about which I'm passionate.

>Really? I post homebrew in /5eg/ every so often and I've gotten lots of really helpful input.
My experience seems to end with autists screeching about how homebrew is universally shit and that I should end my life for even thinking about it. I suppose it depends on who's lurking in the threads.

>love the idea of table tops
>never had any friends that were into it
>not very mechanically minded and always forget the rules
>play them so infrequently that it's like learning them all over again whenever I do manage to find a group
>work and other things of life become increasingly demanding, never get a chance to play.

>only come to Veeky Forums for world building and idea sound-boarding threads.
>just to garner information and ideas to use in my own little personal sci-fi/fantasy worlds that I dream up absently throughout the day to make work hours go faster.
>I know that I'll never share any of these worlds with anyone, because they'd require home brewing and I'm a shit GM

>Friends are too busy to play anything
>No luck in Gamefinder threads
>Don't want to try Roll20 because of the horror stories
I live vicariously through your success stories lads.

I'm sorry. If you wanna post it here, I'll try to give you some advice (depending on the system).

X-folk is a shitty suffix that feels like a derogatory term for demihumans and beastmen, and in general its for lazy uncreative faggots. Shit even 'Gnoll' and its root origins are more thoughtful.

No wonder Paizo uses the term liberally for a number of races and all Pathfags have followed suite like the brain damaged retards they are.

Yes im fucking mad.

Try writing, maybe? Or very rules light rpgs?

I have a happy group that I've played with for three years through roll20.

Take the leap, and shift through the shit and maybe you'll be happy.

>tfw work shit comes up and my game ends
>tfw my buddy is going to be running a side-campaign that leads into what we were doing

For my first real campaign, I'm pretty happy with what I got out of it, as long as it lasted.

I agree, writing might be better than trying to fit your square ideas in a round format.

And like two-thirds of /wbg/ is people writing books and stuff anyway.

Dude they look great.

bump

That is so absurdly debatable that your entire post is moot.

lol fag

There is not an actual debate to be had.

If your players find an adventure that works, that's what you run, even if it's not your precious pre-planned narrative. If you punish them for not playing the way you wanted them to, it's just a convoluted form of railroading.

Yeah sure.

I'm glad you've come around.

>modern Western countries.png