MTG Aether Revolt pre-release Sealed Draft Limited

Are you planning to attend the pre-release for Aether Revolt tomorrow? I wasn't planning to but since all my other plans fell through I might as well go. What are some commons and uncommons to look out for? I haven't really looked at the set at all but this one was hard to miss.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/aether-revolt-removal-list
magicdrafting.com/aether-revolt-sealed
mtgen.net/aer/
youtube.com/watch?v=lfywygHEyVM
youtube.com/watch?v=SVSK48Rv2CA
youtube.com/watch?v=NwmZvj5n05U
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Mana_ability
youtube.com/watch?v=BCcXMwwHEcU&t=15s&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege
youtube.com/watch?v=uH3rF9GdBv0&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't know about specifics but I hear that Black, Green, and White are all pretty good for main colors with Blue being a pretty good splash.

Red seems kinda meh, which is suprising as I thought they would give them the good cards considering the theme of the set.

Dunno about green and white but black looks pretty good. I hope I get few of these

R&D doesn't give one fuck about thematic importance, the set Designers do, but at the end of the day R&D makes the fucking cards.

its honestly a little jarring how little fucks they have to give about what SHOULD be good in a set, for instance, no red/blue legendary instead, they made it a Planeswalker that is only good in wombo combo.

same goes for Ludivec in the COmmander decks, the importance of that man behind the scenes didn't matter to R&D.

I've had the occasion to test the set on xmage ( both sealed and draft ) and honestly green is totally bonkers. It's easily the best color in this format by far. Very efficient creatures and insane rares.

I'm praying to the gods to open this tomorrow though. If I ever do, this will be by far the funniest sealed I will have ever played.

>Are you planning to attend the pre-release for Aether Revolt tomorrow?
ye i will go, i don't expect much though.
I mostly collect MTG now just for the sake of collecting...
And if i don't get some decent pulls there will be no hope anyway.
I hope for some nice green/colorless pulls.
Pic related looks fun in these artifact centred times

I will enjoy losing to this a lot.

(no I won't)

god please let me pull at least one

any good removals in this release?
not sure how i will get raped

mtggoldfish.com/articles/aether-revolt-removal-list

Not in Blue, at least.

red and black have a wealth of removals at common/uncommon.

>Are you planning to attend the pre-release for Aether Revolt tomorrow?
Yes. Don't know how hard I will get stomped though. Anyone have some general advice?

use the color you have most removals with, support it with other color

>general advice
have fun

This will probably rape me as hard as that other train last pre-release.

Make something stupid and gimicky, Sealed is all about having fun

I'm glad my store does flat prize structure, way too much variance for big prizes.

Same, everyone and their mother had one except for me.

Not necessarily, if anything i would go by mana curve, legit won me my KLD prerelease. Didnt drop a match, 2 one-drops, 5 two-drops, like 8 three-drops and 2 four-drops. Rest were noncreatures, like 3 removal spells.

Sealed is all about finding the most consistent deck in your pool, this set can be super splashy into three or four colors but i would probably take the two color consistent deck over flat power of a splash.

Tldr; Build the deck that most efficiently puts creatures at your opponent.

>this set can be super splashy into three or four colors

for real, I keep seeing sealed pools with 3 or 4 pieces of fixing

there's not that much worth splashing for, though

At least this one isn't common

>I'm glad my store does flat prize structure
Welp, not at my store. Very competitive too (if draft nights are anything to go by)

My store is always the same. 4-5 round of games (depends on the attendance), each win nets you one pack.

I have a hard time imagining the disappointment I'd feel if the stars aligned to have jeskai be deep enough, the color fixing to support it, getting both halves of the combo, and then never being able to put it together in a single game throughout the entire tournament.

yeah, all our prizes are super flat: it's more a taking part trophy

prerelease is 4-2-...-2 so even a magic newbie goes home feeling like they won something, draft tends to be 3-2-1-...-0-0-0, and even constructed is the same

It means there's not much to play for on the competitive side, but entry is cheap and there's no drama. Means people play a lot of funky decks as well.

>tfw prerelease in 11 hours

To be quite frank, I'm kinda hyped this time.

>To be quite frank, I'm kinda hyped this time.
user you are so innocent

just splash for removal :^)

I legit forgot about prerelease happening at midnight.
I can barely focus on work I'm so excited.

>I'm so excited.
ye i'm so excited to get stomped by new train as well.
It will be like last time, everyone but me got it, same for removals, i literally got 0(zero) on kaladesh.
i'm not optimistic for myself

I've been playing this game since 7ed. Last year was like unending suffering. I had to suffer through zendikar redux and innistrad 2.0 (now with eldrazi). All of this shit made me skip the DESIGNATED prerelease (as I was afraid it could be another shitfest). This time the set really looks fun, so I decided to give it a try.

on the sealed simulator i pull like greatest cards ever
>3 cruel finality
>2 shock
>Lathnu Hellion
>fucking cataclysmic gearhulk
yea i bet my real pulls will be soooo good...

try it yourself user so you can be disappointed tomorrow

forgot link
magicdrafting.com/aether-revolt-sealed

this actually is better i think
mtgen.net/aer/
all i hope is to not get shit promo, please god, not useless card promo

>on the sealed simulator i pull like greatest cards ever

Are you me user? And then the best card you get is a fucking foil forest (happened to me during BFZ prerelease).

Hah, just did a sealed simulator with 5 bombs in RG and an aetherworks marvel.

If only, if only...

i can already see everyone and their mother getting consulate dreadnought/untethered express + aerial modification for my maximum salt

Last time i got like 2/2 creatures while fucking neckbeard landwhale had gearhulks crewing stompers.

I reached salt mine levels

Sealed is a serious format dependent on player skill.

Now excuse me as I play a turn 4 Aetherwind Basker

Someone is going to get a pool like this in real life, and it is not going to be me.

What are some must-picks I should be on the look out for tomorrow? Any colors that are particularly strong?

Least amount of hype I've had for a set in years. Will probably be skipping. There's just nothing interesting in it for me, and the story around the plane is pretty godamn generic and a dull iteration of the tropes it uses at that.
Vehicles are still neat though and more should have been done with energy.

>pic related
>my simulated pull
i want to murder my pc because i know this will never ever happen

You'll need another creature, but it's not impossible to see this.

>youtube.com/watch?v=lfywygHEyVM
>youtube.com/watch?v=SVSK48Rv2CA
>youtube.com/watch?v=NwmZvj5n05U
check out those fags for fast info about cards

so i can basically go 1000/1000 Crackdown Construct on turn 4?
k

this simulator is such a funny thing
>pic related
oh i'm laffin'

Just jumping back in after not using any spoilers for the set.
I'm assuming they're doing another set of "ultra mythics" this set around with old artifacts this time around instead of lands with this being the new cardface for those exclusives?

They're called 'Masterpieces' and it's in every Standard set now.

okay this simulator just makes me salty now, it's time to stop
this fucking pull

I was afraid of that. Wonder what new rarity they'll make up in the next 10 years.

Anyway from reading the flavor texts it sounds like le ebul gubmint is finally cracking down on the not terrorists but it's ok because Tezz really wasn't just on vacation and seems to have attempted to open a planar portal, probably to New Phyrexia since that's where we last saw him.

>New Phyrexia
i want this back

No, it was a portal in time so he could dispose of a foolish samurai

How does this combo work exactly? Do you just keep re-equipping it?

seems like it cause equip costs nothing, as in it's not mana ability?

Mana abilities seem to be abilities which create mana, not use it

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Mana_ability

a mana ability is any activated ability that generates mana, and does not target

So I've never played Magic before and I'm attending the prerelease. Any etiquette I should know about other than not smelling like shit?

I don't want to get booted for not following rules.

i see...
but who cares i will pull shit anyway

prereleases are chill, just have fun mate.
It's really casual so you don't have much to worry about.
it tends to get longish so gets some food and drink.
Watch for your cards though, last prerelease we had some total faggot boasting how he stole some rare cards from people.
Hope life fucks him over

You probably shouldnt. If this is your first time playing magic you will have no idea what is going on.

c'mon don't discourage him man

it's not that hard, just have fun.
Instructions how to build are in boxes and you can always ask judges/store clerks

pic related

Our lgs owner just jacked the price of pre-release from 25$ to 30$

Unfortunately, he's the only one around, i'd have to drive an hour away.

Reason: "We don't make enough from pre-release sales."

Fuck this guy or no?

Don't know what the prize support is like. but he wants us to wake up for 9 am on a sunday.

He didn't say he's never done Sealed before, he said he's never played Magic.

It's not exactly pick up and play, someone needs to teach you.

uh do you know to build your deck atleast?

If so you'll be fine, i reccomend buying some sleeves on the way in if you have the cash\, they make shuffling WAY easier especially if youre not used to it, make sure to shuffle them up good.

also watch some pre-release primer videos if you have time I suggest the mana source's even if he is an autist

well it's 10 am tomorrow here, for my place it's 20$ i think but i am eurofag.
Just go to as an experience, and we will probably share our stories on 4chin later at post prerelease thread.
Go and get some good cards and prerelease foil promo.
Good place to learn too since there will probably be many players.
It's going to be totally RNG since nobody know what they will pull from prerelease box, just do best deck out of what you pull and try to make best out of it.

bro like i said, there are judges and store clerks at the place so they are actually supposed to help and teach.
And if they are fags he can ask other players.
He should go, get experience and judge it himself

That sucks lad, my LGS is 20$ no pre-sign up or anything. Prize suppourt is kinda meh but 20 dollars for 6 packs and a promo is solid anyway

>also watch some pre-release primer videos if you have time
this

i posted some autists discussing cards so you can watch them here

Not really but I take it they'll give me lands since I don't own any cards.

With these vehicles will I have to take a ratio of 2 creatures for every vehicle?

What are you going to run for vehicle to creature ratio?

This shit caused me to rage sell my collection whenever oath was released. (mostly frontier stuff now)

Legit pull.
I died inside that day.

Never playing standard again because of that shit.

>With these vehicles will I have to take a ratio of 2 creatures for every vehicle?

nonono, like, 2 vehicles in a deck

they provide lands but you have to return them after prerelease (at least here)
wow that's fucking unlucky
I don't play standard but i like to attend prereleases.
I just play comfy casual modern with friends.
I make shitty theme deck and have fun.
Last one i made is purely wolves and nothing else
Pic related is the worst promo you can get this time.
literal shit

It would go fucking ace with his pulls though, puts Hedron Alignments just where you want them.

Vechicles need to be crewed every turn so i wouldn't add too many of those unless you got some super strong combo

they will have lands, try to stay in two colors, you want roughly 17 lands and 23 spells. Don't be afraid to ask for advice help it's super casual at pre-release

ye but it creates salt when some fucking neckbeard fag pulls pic related next to you as his promo.
Or some planeswalker

For about a month or so i laughed it up and said i'd make an entire foil modern hedron alignment deck complete with the deck box pictured.
date stamped and FNM promos if possible i thought.

Then I realized there was no possible deck that would make hedron alignment even close to playable.

and yes, I am a neckbeard, but that is beside the point.

>I am a neckbeard
you pull something good this prerelease and i will fucking rape you.
And if i get motherfucking Secret Salvage as my promo, i will implode into salt mine

>be me
>into Hearthstone since launch
>slowly realize that Hearthstone is dying and Blizzard doesn't give a shit about it anymore
>decide to look into MTG
>looks actually really really neat, like something I could really get myself into
>do some research on where to begin a card collection
>decide to get two different Kaladesh Planeswalker deck sets so me and my roommate can play together
>go to local store to buy them
>find them, go to checkout
>cashier reminds me that there's a new expansion coming out soon and that I'm "wasting my time" with these
>starts quizzing me on what format I want to play
>throws out names of random expansions and cards that I have no idea about yet
>he proceeds to walk me through their entire catalog and strongly urges me to buy some expensive boosters from like five years ago
>I restate that I'm just looking to get into this with a buddy, nothing too serious yet
>he finally rings me up
>as I'm walking out he smirks and says, "next time you come, be a little better prepared and know what you're getting into"

This happened yesterday and I still haven't opened up my two decks. I feel like I shouldn't even get into the game if everyone is going to be this much of a douche. I understand that there's going to be elitists in every hobby, but is it really this bad? Do I just have to go along with it until I have every card memorized? Is this typical?

Yes, you just re-equip it (or another creature) after you equip a second target, as you cannot equip a creature with shroud, which the boots grant.

Each activation triggers the construct.

You're allowed to equip and unequip as many times as you want?

Sounds like you just met a fucking asshole

....Yes?

It doesn't say you can't, so yes.

If the greaves didn't give Shroud, you could just keep using Equip on the same creature over and over.

Your experience with Magic is entirely based on the people you play it with. It can either be the greatest game ever or douchey experience like you described.

Sorry, to be more accurate, there is no such thing as 'unequip'

Equip is a keyword that reads like 'attach this equipment to target creature you control. do this only when you could cast a sorcery'

So you can move equipment from one creature to another, but not take it off.

What you experienced is not common among shop owners (at least not where I've been) and it sounds like he should be fired for practically threatening you for being a patron to their establishment-

To be blunt, it would do the store some good for "suckers" to buy "bad product"- but there's nothing wrong at all with your decision, and the planeswalker decks are just fine for exploring some of the flavor of the game. Everything has value despite what the elitists or investors think, so long as you have fun with your friends.

Sorry about your experience, hopefully you still manage to enjoy the game; and good luck finding another shop if you do.

>stabbing yourself

Yeah that's a shit fucking owner.

Don't go to neckbeard shops with loser owners. Find out the best reviewed in your town.

So you just say "I equip this 100000000000 times?"

I thought turns would have a time limit or something.

Seems like just trying to intimidate you.

Hearthstone is like a very simplified version of magic
The big differences are that instead of choosing targets to attack, you chose which creatures you want to attack with and then they all attack at once after opponent has declared blockers.

Sorcery spells are like the class spells you have and can only be cast during your turn,

Magic has something called instant spell which means you can cast it at virtually any time (i.e. during opponents turn to do something.)

You start at 20 instead of 30, however you can have as much life as your deck allows you to gain.

Sleeves are great investment, Ultra-pro are low quality, but quite cheap and will get the job done on a budget.
If your cards get scratched up nobody will want to trade or buy them from you.

Other than that have fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=BCcXMwwHEcU&t=15s&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege

This guy is a total beta dorkwad, but he does an excellent job at guiding new players through the experience, what to buy, what to avoid, and how to build decks for certain formats.

MTG is a game best played if you just dive in for a few games, then take a good look at it.

>"next time you come, be a little better prepared and know what you're getting into"

Sounds like a cunt.

Buy some pre-built starter / intro decks online.

Or get you and your buddy to each buy a Kaladesh deckbuilders kit each. For the initial outlay you get a good splash of cards and some boosters. Then if you don't like it you can literally resell it to some new guy for about what you paid for it.

I will say though, he is technically right about you wasting your time with the decks.

here for better explanation as to why:
youtube.com/watch?v=uH3rF9GdBv0&ab_channel=TolarianCommunityCollege

Yes, Magic allows you to shortcut actions after demonstrating it once, and proving the result is guaranteed.

Except on MTG Online because Hasbro is bad at computer

So long as you can alternate the targets as you can't equip the greaves to the creature it's equipping due to shroud, you can legally activate the equip cost X amount of times-

but that does not mean you physically have to move the card back and fourth to represent the action, just say "I activate this X times, combat phase- I swing for 48 quintillion" while he proceeds to block with a thopter.

but if it's just for playing between two noobs it literally does not matter

You can get years of value out of a $50 6000ct common/uncommon bulk box from ebay. Not everyone needs to get sucked into cyclic formats.

>Wonder what new rarity they'll make up in the next 10 years.

If it makes you feel better, they're exclusively for reprints or cards already in the set, and they don't change format legality except for being legal in Limited when they're in your pool. So it's not quite the same as rarity, since they can't use it to hide new tournament staples.

You have to be able to guarantee the outcome of each loop. It's an important distinction. See: Four Horsemen.

That could actually be decent in Limited, and literally nowhere else. If you've got a bunch of copies of one good Common, it can give you some good consistency or help you out if you need some gas. That mana cost makes it still bad, but it's fringe playable in exactly the right pool.

It was an accident

tfw pulled these at the midnight prereleaseand went 1-2

Mine is on sunday, and despite knowing the owner has killed two people in the past, I will go because I expect to have fun or at least get something good for my edh decks. Also I can dump off my masterpiece to some fuck who cares about them