So, what the hell happened? Why is GW still the top dog when it comes to Wargaming...

So, what the hell happened? Why is GW still the top dog when it comes to Wargaming? Why hasnt any other game beat it in popularity?

How does GW keep passing its IWND roll?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5PUe-gJ5I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Same reason MTG is top-dog, the company that produces is great at marketing and turning a profit.
There are a plethora of arguably better options for both types of games, but which two have global tourneys, extensive histories, and an extremely wide range of products?

>There are a plethora of arguably better options for both types of games

name five

>Nightmare mode
Name five that are not Anime-based

>Nightmare+ mode
And not netrunner

Yeah, pretty much this. The biggest boom we've seen in wargaming as of late was X-wing and Armada.

Now, if wizards sat down and took MtG, made a bunch of minis for it, then created a Wargame that manages to operate at any scale, then you might have something that could compete with GeeDubs.

Warmachine/Hordes
X-Wing
Kings of War (Better rules, cheaper models)
Malifaux
Guildball

Off the top of my head

Also, Status Quo matters a lot in this hobby. That should be taken into account.

Because wargaming is a hobby with a steep buy-in wall, most people who play them aren't willing or able to spend much when to try a new system.

People gonna keep playing 40k because they spent so fucking much on their shitty models.

disgusting tripfag

>How to tell this user has shot taste
>Warmahordes

Well, since I'm more of a wargamer.
>Battletech
>Fire and Fury
>Axis and Allies
>Crimson Skies
>Blitzkrieg Commander
Can't really speak for TCGs though.

Well, where I live 40k is popular mostly because of the inertia of its fanbase. And a lot of people are leaving to another wargames. Some of the local clubs are actually refusing to support 40k, preferring Malifaux, Infinity and Warmachine. Warhammer is kind of alive, but it's definetly not a top dog now, especially when you have so many better options.

Except he doesn't have a trip, so now I'm him also.

>The booty had me like

youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5PUe-gJ5I

Where do you live?

Russia.

Even if Warmahordes is bad it's still better than 40k. Which is sad.

>Armada

Did somebody say ISDs?

I've heard Malifeaux has a pretty shit combat system. The analogy was you push minis around then play war at each other with cards.

I think warmahordes and infinity are both really good, but they both have a lot of things that easily turn off new players. Also, neither of them come into their own until you start to play in league type scenarios, at which point you must have invested significantly in the game.

X-wing and Armada benefit from easy rules with a rabbit hole of deep game play interactions, pre painted minis and one of the most recognizable IP's in history.

GW I think blends all the good things about the hobby aspect and a game with a lot of rules, but is accessible at all levels. I think 40k especially went awry with the formations or unbound or CAD etc. To a new player that shit is byzantine. But at least it's fun, a nice table with terrain that isn't an abstraction is the expectation, and the minis and kits offer a wealth of hobby opportunities. For example I've never wanted to convert or customize a PP model or army to a theme. Nothing is really provided for it and there's no artwork or writing that fires the imagination for that. Infinity models look samey from afar but they're so well done that theyre beyond the average hobbyists scope to alter dramatically and you don't get any parts to do it.

Warmahordes is what tourney players wants warhammer to be. So fuck the cactus.

These guys also gucked up Infinity.

Inertia.

Which, funnily enough, is also how the Imperium is still standing.

Dropzone Commander.
Infinity.
Warmahordes.
Malifaux.
Flames of War.

Because as shit as GW are according to neckbeards, the other companies are shittier than them.

>le competitive boogeyman meme

Frankly, Warmahordes is better for casual and competitive play. Tight, balanced rules and a thriving competitive scene in no way prevents you from playing casual games.

Tauhammer 40Wraiths hasn't been remotely good for any kind of play for years.

Corvus Belli can suck my dick with all there special con and long ass releases

People are stupid.

>The analogy was you push minis around then play war at each other with cards.
As opposed to "push minis around, roll some dice, shit may happen but probably not"?

For me, it's because I live in a small country and pretty much the only game people play is 40k so we are stuck with it.

> Warmahordes
Dead game, man. Just ask any Skorne or Cryx player.
> Kow
Shit rules, shit models.
> Malifaux
Good game, lovely minis, not a dice game, it's a skirmish.
> Guildball
Really? A football game is a valid alternative for a wargame?

>These guys also gucked up Infinity.
Yeah, thanks to them we now have a shitload of ITS events and just a few scenario ones. It was better when we had just a few ITS events and just a few scenario ones.

Star Realms
Epic (same publisher as Star Realms)
Mage Wars
Game of Thrones LCG
Boss Monster
Mystic Vale

And of course Android: Netrunner

>Shit rules, shit models.
So, how is this different from 40k?

>borked the campaign rules with paradiso
>fuck it, let's just focus on ITS
aaaahhhhh

These threads are so fucking cookie cutter

Its like the same people post the same shit over and over

>game is dead because 2 out of 12 factions are underpowered

Kek. Well 40k has even more factions and most of them are worthless so I guess it's dead too, amirite?

but these kind of threads are easy for 100 or even 200 posts

but its like 35 posters with over 150 replies

>game is dead because the 2 factions played by 95% of the playerbase have been made underpowered on purpose to sell extremely expensive metal minis of other factions

FTFY

Why do you BTFO yourself eternally ?

Welcome to 90% of the posts on Veeky Forums

ITS rules are cancer for Infinity but we receive so much crap

>but...but..user 300 point armies isant alot plus it makes for better fights

Ill go back to Infinity when some new kid on the block proclaims they have the best competitive rules around shows up

TAGline is evidence that Corvus can make narrative things in 3E, but it's not terribly great at doing so. Flamestrike 2.0 will be better, r-right?

> Look for some battle reports on youtube
> Try to wrap your head around the stupid rules
> Go on Mantic's site and look at the shitty minis

Trust me, you'll start to fall in love with GW all over again user.

HEY GUYS CARLOS HERE

>Flamestrike 2.0 will be better, r-right?

>gw is still the top dog
Is it? I don't track global stats. All I know is that no GW games have been played in my lgs for years, and the ffg star wars games get AT LEAST 24 players a week. Where can I find comparative player totals for at least America?

What if you were also him before? What if I'm him now?

Yeah it really depends on the market but in most places it's not GW up top.

top dog for WARGAMES
Of course FFG is the biggest now

>because the 2 factions played by 95% of the playerbase
That's a sign of massive imbalance and potentially dead game right there.

>but..user 300 point armies
What are you talking about? ITS allows for 200 and 400 too. Less than 200 is shit because you get power disparity between elite and horde factions, but if anything that's an argument for 300.

>shit taste

arguably, GW is complete garbage at rules. like, utterly.

> Skorne and Cryx.
> 95% of the playerbase.

I think Cygnar and Khador would like to have a word with you.

>I think warmahordes and infinity are both really good, but they both have a lot of things that easily turn off new players.
could you elaborate a bit on this?

>Kow
>Shit rules
litteraly wat

Lore/world building.

Game isnt amazing, lore is one of the best.

He said that, I don't play WMH.

>95% of players only play 2 factions

For one, I think more people play Cygnar, Khador or Trollbloods than Skorne. But moreso even if that were accurate then the game was already imbalanced and people who powergame may as well have their shit slapped down

Kings of War
Warmahordes
X-Wing
Infinity
Saga

>game is dead because the 2 factions played by 95% of the playerbase

Are you having a laugh?

Skorne are not even close to being one of the most popular factions. They're not even close to being one of the most popular Hordes factions - Legion and Circle are vying for that spot.

Cygnar and Cryx are about equally as popular, and they are barely just above Khador. Cryx aren't even massively underpowered either, they're just not as powerful as they were.

It sounds a lot like you have no clue what you're taking about.

>Warmachine/Hordes

Hahahah, you're joking right?

Must be a pain in the ass to wipe with that claw.

>Wiping with the right hand
Oh my fucking god, you uncultured savage.

t. Chink

Brand recognition of course. Lots of people know and love 40K.

>letting go of your main firearm in the grim darkness of the 41st millenium

What you say is that even if you're literally caught with your pants down you still won't be figuratively caught with your pants down?

Yes, though I would also opt for a pair of brown pants in this instance.

I think he threw in Skorne as a technicality to pad the number. Cryx takes you there. Skorne gives you two factions.

This. Whilst the rules and crunch for GW games may suck, their fluff is absolutely topnotch. I play 40k for the background, the stories, the opportunity to play as a race I fell in love with. You have a great set of rules? Sure, fine, but the race I play has 30 years of backstory, I can create my own flavoured army from it. Holy shit I love GW fluff, and that's what keeps me coming back to it. They've made mistakes, they've fucked it up sometimes, but the bones of the story are rock-solid and that's what keeps me interested. Iyanden 4 lyfe fagots

Of these I've heard of of Boss Monster, and it's not a TCG. Try again.

The fluff has been a nonstop stream of diarrhea ever since the release of Chaos 4e. At best it was "up to personal preference" with the Necrons.

>iyanden
My nigga, that chick with legendary spear was my first waifu

I honestly think 40K lore turns off a lot of people but it just happens to coincidentally hit a sweet spot for the type of people that are OK with spending lots of time alone painting/modding and lots of time in arm-pits masquerading as LGS's.

The best selling armies are all the masculine compensatory equivalent of setting a giant pick-up truck in your front yard when you really never have to haul anything with it.

Land of the free nigga, if I want a truck I'll buy one and I'll get one with a giant V10 if I want to.

Yeah, I feel like 40k is basically the kind of lore where you'd like it if you're thirteen and if someone says it sucks you just say it's parody.

brexit

>The best selling armies are all the masculine compensatory equivalent of setting a giant pick-up truck in your front yard when you really never have to haul anything with it.
I have to agree with you there. Warmachine, the second biggest game out there, also has lots of guys with huge pauldrons and equally large muscles.

Meanwhile stuff like Confrontation, Malifaux, Infinity, and anything where guys are lithe and gay always lags behind.

>Not learning to shoot with your superior metal hand.

The Warmahordes developers don't understand their own game and are too conceited to listen to others, so don't fix the glaring issues that top level players are screaming at them. Like, everyone expected their first wave of erratas for the current version of the game to be huge, but they literally fixed just 1 of the broken spam lists while creating another one to take its place at the same time.

And just yesterday they released "theme lists" that give you benefits for playing a thematic army. Except the benefits are way too small to build the lists fully, and spam lists can actually get the benefits. They literally just buffed the cancerous spam lists. It's unbelievable how incompetent of a company Privateer Press is.

GW has arguably one of the best Sci-Fi settings among other games. Few other settings are as comprehensive or as widely accessible. Even top video game settings aren't as accessible as 40k is.

>Making IWND roll

It's not being forced to make these rolls in the first place. GW literally spent millions to produce shit-casted resin fuckery and still hit sales targets. The closest GW has been has been to crumbling has been from the past few years of Kirby induced Sudoku. This is because Kirby is you typical 'Businessman' whose concern was money and pushing a culture to see how deep the customer pockets were. At the moment Rountree a) Has played the games, b) Understands the fucking customer base and c) Understands the whole hobby domain.

Finally:

Are prime examples of Why GW continues to endure.

They are the caustic asshats who declare they are 'done' with 40k/GW/whatever game, move to another game, provide the revenue it needs to limp its first couple of years and then drag a load of people with them so they don't feel lonely. Then when their new games change or move on turn into caustic cucks again and move off, except less go with them and they just return. It's a revolving door nearly every neck-beard gets caught in because of how socially retarded and group-think the wargaming community actually is.

Still sounds miles better than 40K

underrated post

>GW has arguably one of the best Sci-Fi settings among other games. Few other settings are as comprehensive or as widely accessible. Even top video game settings aren't as accessible as 40k is.
This. In basically every discussion I've ever witnessed/taken part of involving how various tabletop games stack up against each other, everyone agrees that, despite arguably not having the best rules or the best models, GW has the best fluff by far, and that counts for more than you might think.

They reached critical player mass

>Even if Warmahordes is bad it's still better than 40k.
I'd agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that
Warmachine plastic is shit
They switched from metal to low res plastic
They still make abysmal resin/plastic/metal kits
Their sales have been dropping ever since the new edition
Warmachine is still "Kill caster, win" regardless of gametype.

This, same reason WoW is still top dog.

There's also warpath, and bolt action.

I also find it unfortunate that no one mentions Flames of War.

>Warmachine is still "Kill caster, win" regardless of gametype.
This is the worst fucking thing

Having the constant caster-kill mechanic kills narratives in big games, makes the low-point casual play toxic, and keeps a constant source of pressure on new players. It's not fun to lose because you moved your big guy too far to the right and opened up a charge lane to your dude before you could do anything.

At least in 40k you aren't constantly in danger of losing and being unable to continue playing; Lose your HQ? No biggie, just keep throwing dudes and dice at a problem.

>Guildball
That game has a lot of focus on killing others. And I am not sure what Malifaux not using dice has to do with anything.

Can't help but laugh at these people who play for the 'narratives'. They're the reason minis games are such a shitshow.

Because they have a 30+ years headstart.

What other piece of entertainment has dedicated hobby stores in almost every major city?

You don't simply buy a game. You buy an experience and become part of a vast community.

Simply by being able to easily find players it is the superior option to all alternatives.

I don't even play the game and understand that.

>Why is GW still the top dog when it comes to Wargaming?
Because only autistics buy tiny plastic statues for the associated rules

As said with MtG, WoW, amd Monopoly.

It's inertia.

Warmahordes
Xwing
Infinity
Hellderado
Maulifax

Rage
Force of Will
Destiny
Dicemasters
B5

I don't think Infinity's lore is bad, last I knew anyway, and Warmachine and Hordes was somewhat interesting. 40k does have something about it however that is quite hard to beat.

Malifaux and Infinity could suffer from being smaller games and thus not as widely played. In addition they may have things about them that turn people off for one reason or another. I liked Malifaux's card mechanics and Infinity's anime aesthetics and such, but I suppose I could see how those are turn offs. Infinity can also be daunting modelwise if you're used to recent 40k, Fantasy, or AoS since you're going from plastic models sculpted in a heroic style to metal models that are closer to being proportionate.

That last point is right on the mark. Every new wargame that starts up gets filled with some people who have a chip on their shoulder about GW and they make part of the resulting fanbase toxic. However as soon as their new interest does something they don't like, they're just as ready to jump ship and be toxic about them and GW in another game.

Wargaming might not even be a thing if it wasn't for people who play for the narrative or similar reasons. What else are historicals but playing a narrative?

>Every new wargame that starts up gets filled with some people who have a chip on their shoulder about GW and they make part of the resulting fanbase toxic
I just can't see how this is true at all outside of anecdotal evidence. I mostly play Flames and most people I know started with the game rather than opting for it over 40K due to grievances.

IMHO, the reason for the GW's success is the setting:

It's a dark, grim & edgy place where war never ends, taken to 11 - all the way around to the other side.

It's (again, IMHO) the perfect wargame setting:
lots of fighting, easily identifiable (and relatable) armies - each with it's distinctive modus operandi, all taken in not-so-serious & over-the-top manner.
('cause we're literally playing with toy soldiers, see?)

>warmahordes and infinity are both really good, but they both have a lot of things that easily turn off new players
You mean that both actually require a player to use their brain for once.

Literally every major LGS tabletop wargame that is not Warhammer. GW games are the gateway-wargames. They're the shit that gets you hooked, and you either move on to better games, or you fail at life and don't move on.

1. It's been here for a while and while it wasn't the first of it's kind like D&D, it has managed the same general idea that miniatures = Warhammer.
2. The management was always just competent enough to keep it afloat (and now they're starting to grow again IIRC).
3. The brand identity and "coolness" of the setting, strengthened by recent forays into vidya.