Roleplay in video games

Your best instances of roleplay in videogames. Go!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MEpv7YxnLCQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Crusader Kings 2.

Queen of Navarre. Husband assassinated by Spanish Muslim king.

She genuinely loved him. She was distraught. Never remarried. Became celibate.

By that point she was already pregnant with his child.

Thus began the Blood feud.

There was never a time when there wasn't an assassination plot in progress targeting that family for her entire reign and she lived to be 92.

There was either a Holy War in progress, recovering from the last Holy War or preparing for the next one.

She was a monster.

Why do I find almost nothing when looking up this character? That's disappointing.

Playing Skyrim without stealing, looting crypts, or murdering people. It was harder than I expected. At least for a few levels.

Oblivion playing a black guy obsessed with stealing, watermelon, skooma, and moongrass.

I was a simple man. I hunted and gathered from my town's surroundings. Whatever I mined and found I used to craft wonderful items and shared it with the townsfolk. They never were particularly greatful but it was decent work. I was content, I was happy.

After a particularly long day of work one of the townsfolk came over and invited me to the town party.

"Be there or be squared!" He yelled as he ran back towards the town. I scoffed, I was tired as any man would be and retired for the night.

The next day I awoke only to discover, to my horror, that the man's curs took form. My head, my arms, legs, even my body turned to blocks!

Enraged I stormed into the town, demanding justice for this cruelty and seeking the one who cursed me. The people would not listen. To them I was just a disgusting, squared monster like the ones that roamed the land at night.

Soon the guards came and chased me out of my city. Exiled me from my HOME.

Now I live in the wilds amongst the beasts I once hunted. My anger is as infinite as my patience and for now I will take it slow. I will mine and I will craft and once I am ready and have forged the fabled diamond sword and armor will I return "home" and take my vengeance.

For now, my domain will grow.

This is my story and this is what I do best.

This is minecraft.

10 out of 10

I'm not into the kind of games you guys are talking about, but sometimes I like to boot up SimCity (the SNES version), speed-develop a town for about 100 years, then cause a nuclear disaster that absolutely destroys the city and covers huge swaths of it in glowing radioactive icons.

Then I pretend I'm the mayor trying to rebuild after the apocalypse and build new villages around the chunks of city that aren't completely destroyed.

You should try Terraria

Total War: Attila, playing as Alamanns.

I have kept king Macrian alive for fourty years when the Huns invaded, and he and his two brothers fell in combat against the vicious riders.

His last brother, whose name eludes me, continues to live on and be an advisor to the following two kings, bravely battling Attila's Hordes and the Romans as they're attempting in futility to take hold in the central European kingdom.

He then died of old age, having braved sickness, battle and crisis and fathered many children of his own.

A man who lived his life for the kingdom of the tribe. A man whose bravery will echo forever in the oral tradition of the Alamanns.

I should play TW:A again.

So, basically Fallout.

I like it.

Xcom EW, didn't go into it with any intent to arghpee.

4 missions in and I'd created a complex web of characters and relationships between my soldiers. I laughed, I cried, I felt sorrow and hope and I lived and died the lives of a hundred soldiers.

7/10 alien ai kinda sucked

I don't understand the question.

Had plenty of good times RPing in City of Villains.

Solo play, a mage hunter in Skyrim. Never activated the dragons to show up in the game so Skyrim was only troubled by the civil war. My character operated under the notion that he wanted to be the sole mage in Skyrim, killing any other magic user he knew of or came across. Eventually being wanted enough he sided with Ulfric under the logic that if he helped win the civil war, Ulfric would be willing to look the other way about the mage killings. Particularly when the greatest mage in Skyrim was on his side.

>Alamanns
Do you mean Alans or Alemanns?

Alemanns, Alamanni, Ale Men, you know the deal.

For me it was Fallout 3. For some reason, I could never really play as someone evil. Sure, I'd steal stuff that I needed but that was about it. Good Karma comes so easily in the game that you can nuke Megaton and still be Good or Neutral by the end of the campaign. The "evil" missions were rather unfulfilling. Even the slaver ones where it's just "lol do evil get some caps". But all that changed when I stumbled upon the mod community.

Oh boy.

Then I found that my problem with being evil was that the options were too PG. Installed some nudity, sex and prostitution mods. And so began the days of sexual slavery, uncontrolled hedonism and unparalled debauchery of Dr. Hijinks, the Lost Wanderer of the Wasteland.

i once told a faggot OP to go to shit was so cash

I did that. It was hard as fuck

Lineage II was pretty great.

The Secret World I had a fun time with a lesbian abusive relationship between my Templar girl and her XO.

This. Got the frostfall mod and just hunt and sell pelts.

Nearly every time I play Dwarf Fortress, I roleplay as a leader who is obsessed with building grand tomb complexes - often at the expense of the living inhabitants. Mighty multi-storey ziggurats tower above the ground, while underneath waves of migrants serve to mine stone, cut it into blocks and farm the bare minimum of food required to keep them alive.

Once the ziggurat is complete, the sacrifice begins. Drowning is usually the preferred system, killing off the dwarves floor by floor, and having those that are next in line to die carry the bodies to the ziggurat before going to their burrows and getting drowned themselves. Eventually it ends up with just the leader, sat in a throne room in the top of the ziggurat.

Eventually, I'll get around to bringing an adventurer out there to slay the last guy.

Do you know what kind of game CK2 is?

>Oblivion
>moongrass

Though everyone on /v/ claims you can't roleplay in Skyrim, I still felt like I did. But it's autistic so be warned:

I literally can't do a playthrough anymore unless I use the journal mod to write down the events of the day. I write in the book everytime my character goes to sleep and I write a summary of the day and how he felt about it. In addition to that, I used a mod to require eating, sleeping, and drinking. My favorite playthrough so far was an Argonian battlemage who got infected with vampirism at the beginning of the playthrough. I didn't know what to expect, but I downloaded a vampire mod to make it funner. I roleplayed him as a good person slowly being corrupted by his vampiric tendencies, but still trying to do the right thing. The mod didn't let me walk in the sun anymore, but I also didn't need to eat and sleep, so it was a really fun playthrough

When I got XCOM, I immediately decided to kit out all my soldiers to look like the Freelancers from Red vs. Blue, with me pretending to be the Director, natch. I do a pretty good Southern Gentleman's accent. This would have been enough, but the way the game ended for me was the best piece of emergent gameplay I every came across. Agent North Dakota, a sniper, earned the nickname "Zero". I thought his sister, a support, South Dakota, needed an accompanying nickname. I was constructing this whole story in my head that as my sniper, North always was making South feel useless accidentally, especially after she had got put in the infirmary for a good while after panicking, so I thought she needed a real good nickname to perk her up. After I toyed with "One" as a binary code reference, I realized that sucked and went with "Hero" instead. From there things were pretty normal until the very end, when I was looking for psychic soldiers. South was literally the only soldier I had with psychic abilities - I honestly thought that the game only gave you one psychic at a time. Those of you who know XCOM know that the psychic has a pretty big role after they go into the Gollop chamber, and those of you who know Red vs. Blue know that South really didn't deserve the name "Hero", but she sure as heck earned that name in my game. I'm pretty sure I did a fist pump in the air at how perfect that nick name was, and how much she turned the plot on its head.

Which mod was it? It sounds fun.

Playing Darkest Dungeon, I decided that the first bounty hunter I got was me finally deciding to go out and get dirty with the no longer disposable adventurers who'd been fighting and dying for my estate. But when I died...that was it. I died. There was no one to continue my crusade.

Whew, way too much. Let's see...

I played Oblivion as an NPC. No adventuring, no fast-travel, walking only, fleeing combat as much as possible, which was the only time I was allowed to run, only fighting when there is absolutely no escape, and once I die, I'm dead. Since just dicking around in a town would be too boring, I decided to become a traveling merchant, but there's no money to be made by buying and selling, so I gotta make my own merchandise.
I eventually became a traveling alchemist, wandering from town to town, harvesting ingredients, making potions and selling them to the highest bidder. My goal was to buy the house in Skingrad and amass a wealth of 10000 gold, which I decided would be enough for the character to retire.

I had so much fun that I continued to play him for a LONG time. Turns out alchemy is ridiculously lucrative. By the time I decided he was now due for retirement, I had bought every property in the game and become a millionaire.

Mount&Blade Warband worked for me.

>16th Century mod
>Playing the journey of a young loser farmboy on a quest to prove his worth for the kingdom of france
>Started with nothing but some tunic and a battered spear or something
>Worked for any man who was willing to offer me a job, long as it wasn't immoral, until I could afford myself my first pistol.
>As time goes by, my party grows, overall good terms for my soldiers and companions
>After proving myself aiding the king of France in battle, finally be worthy of becoming his sworn man.
>By that point I have a flintlock pistol, a musket and a sidesword
>Fancy hat and outfit as well
>Now the lord of a small village I take care of, and commander of a Musketeer brigade, aiding the other French lords in battle.

Which one? The journal one was Take Notes, iNeed was for requiring food and all that, I'm pretty sure the vampire mod was Better Vampires with the easier progression option. With it, you level up your vampire powers as you suck more blood. I also chose the option that lets you become stronger when you have more blood as opposed to weaker when you're well fed, because that shit made no sense.

I used to love just sitting around the rp areas in my WoW server and just watch them.
They were shit. I mean, really bad. But it was fun as well, they were so earnest about it and being this half dragon demon thing that it was often hard to resist playing along for a time.
Also occasionally you got actual rp which threw me for a loop as I didn't really know how to go about it and an erp that one time.

Virtual people watching, it's... an experience. I can say that much.

My buddies and I all came up with backgrounds for our Destiny characters, and we act in character whenever we're over voice chat.

that sounds cool

I once played a drug dealing troll. I'd brew potions, then give one out to people as samples. The rest, I said, would cost them.

I also sometimes play FPS games with a "Oh god, I don't want to die" mentality. Like, I'd try to get through taking as little risk as possible. Still playing, but not to the degree where I would put myself in danger. I'd do this in BF2, hiding under bushes and staying still while tanks roll by.

I had a hilarious amount of fun playing Dragonball Xenoverse with two random guys I met in multiplayer. They were RPing as their characters, so I made a character for that purpose.

Way more fun taking our time with missions to act stuff out in character, than to just blaze through them as fast as possible for drops, like everyone else online did.

>tfw never shouted that much in a game before or since

>playing FPS games realistically

The madman. Ever play STALKER? It would suit the hell out of you. You can make it through most of the game without having to engage anyone. I think.

/yell AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I roleplay in almost every mmo I touch, my most recent character was a veteran warrior turned blacksmith in gw2. I would travel around cities trying to sell weapons and take orders, rping the actuall process of such and eventually delivering out said swords.

Every saturday I would hire people to go on treks through zones with me to find ore and such. Paying them off with coppers and spending an afternoon rping . It was pretty comfy.

We had mics boii

Get out of here, I play Stalker.

Strangely, though, Stalker is more a bob n' shoot game than a Don't Get Shot game.

I wish I could find people like that. I just generally have some vague idea of what I might do if I had more options with my character as I play the game.

Doesn't help when you're going through your inventory or getting into the spirit of things in a big questline and "Hitler Senpai" runs past as they head for the next questgiver.
That actually happened once.

>I roleplay in almost every mmo I touch

I roleplay in Eve Online. Then again, I think deep down, we're all roleplaying in Eve.

You routinely have to fight people. In the first game, at the very least, you're not actually required to kill anyone (to get to the Monolith), but not killing tends to get you killed in return.

Like, the STALKER games are almost non-stop shooting.

In Skyrim, my ninth or tenth character was a Khajiit named Tarbart. I didn't like Khajiit at the time, and still mostly don't, but I wanted to try a brawler character. Lots of enchanting and heavy armor.

He was always drinking if I could help it, and I spent almost all of my gold on cheap beer. It had more priority over armor, spells, and gifts for my children. He would even steal it once in a while, though he was never very sneaky.

He hated bows and arrows, other Khajiit, and the Modded-in Milk. Roggi Knot-Beard was his bae. Accidentally joined the Stormcloaks in another drunken fit, stayed because they were good beer buddies.

He was also the first character I ever finished the Main Quest on and got up to Level 80 until his latest worthwhile save got corrupted. RIP.

>Wyoming not a sniper
I'm triggered

>roleplay in a FPS
I did this in Far Cry 3, played it like the scared suburban whit boy the character starred oUT as. Spray and pray all day every day, hide and cower whenever someone shot in my direction. Explosions sent me running.

we all roleplay like we're not gaypwnd, but really, urgaypwnd

ahhh, roleplaying in DBZ the tabletop game. I remember, it was quite like pic related

Ah, but did you drink the joojoo? Then you will fight with pride.

On Veeky Forumss recommendation I'm playing Trials in Tainted Space.

Having read the wiki I've decided to go in the exact opposite direction to the one the games designers intended.

Playing as a tall, lanky former mercenary with an abrasive personality, ice cold stating perk for low sex drive and willpower as main stat.

I intend to play this shit as a joyless borderline misanthrope who eventually learns to trust his crew (and no fucked else) with a spaceship, a chip on shoulder and a blunt force method of solving any and all problems.

Just spent some time XP grinding in the jungle looking for first probe (got lost. Assaulted by tribals and beasts. Desperate to find civilization again, surviving off of fruit and what I kill) stumble upon rival and rivals body guard just as they get to the probe.

Epic battle. Other dude, some fucking prettyboy called Dane, is huge and has 4 arms and a high tech weapon in each hand. I had a machete.

I now have one of his weapons. An electro sword and I presumably stole his wallet.

So far playing a lewd as fuck sci-fi text game with the intention of avoiding lewds is surprisingly fun.

I regularly RP on WoW. I know a lot of people frown or sneer at it, but I'm genuinely having fun. I'm in a guild where we use a light-weight DnD derivative system within the game, so it really doesn't differ all that much from actually playing on tabletop.

youtube.com/watch?v=MEpv7YxnLCQ

Ahhh I miss Vanila sometimes.

But user, then my character just feels 2-dimensional and no depth.

Morien Sero, runaway daughter of a minor Dunmer bloodline, wound up in Skyrim to escape bounty hunters and mercs sent to bring her home.

Initially started out very naive, stealing booze for people out of pity, getting into brawls, etc. Wound up at the College of Winterhold, where she ended up saving the world from a lunatic Thalmor in between writing a dissertation on Gaulderson brothers and helping her fellow students out with their projects.
She graduated, then went on pilgrimage to the Shrine of Asura. There started a dark fascination with Daedric artifacts, and she set out to gather as many as she could find.

So far she's only managed to gather the Star of Asura and Dawnbreaker, though she's working on tracking down Namira's Ring, which is likely to finally obliterate her moral code.

OP here. I feel you, the screenshot I posted in the OP is from an event I attend yesterday with my scarlet crusaders guild.
We had some"help" thanks to the silver hand as you can see in the back, and we fought against a group of DK who wanted to raise Abbendis as one of their kind.

Epic shit.

Make wow roleplay great again

Now that I think on it, you're right. I did a playthrough of the first game with minimal shooting, but it had maximum running and hiding and a lot of people died. Not ideal.

My Gnome Mage (Herbalist/Alchemist) once went full on monopoly in WoW, running the thorium market all by his lonesome on the server for around 3 months. Wore a suit too.

Sort of related, anyone know of any Wildstar rp? I remember liking the game but I think I saw one in-character conversation in total. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right area though.

I feel this makes your eventual rape upon losing a fight that much more impactful, too. I've done the same thing. Though eventually turning towards lewd as my character's mind was broken after being assaulted enough times. The lewd is suddenly less fun and more horrifying.

I think it's really sad that mmoRPgs have so little role playing in them. I just gave up on them entirely because all anyone cares about is the grinding. That's WoW's fault, right? I feel like it wasn't a problem back when Star Wars Galaxies originally came out.

anyone remember the Roleplay-ONLY server in Everquest? I never rolled a character there, but I can only imagine where that went.

It's doubly annoying for Wildstar. The Housing customisation is insane, there's more to possibilities than you could shake a stick at with the system.

Most of the time the people you want to RP with don't RP, and the people who do RP are the ones who probably shouldn't.

Which is frustrating, because I do enjoy a good RP. I like to make people laugh, mostly. I like to be the foil to every serious special snowflake Mary Sue or Stu. Half way through their monologue about how their parents were raped to death by dick wolves, I bring up the unpleasant realities of fighting in chainmail inside the mouth of a volcano and describe, in detail, the resulting yeast infection.

You sound just as awful to be around as a Mary Sue.

I went out to get my pay check, got milk and got fired from my job on the first day.

Just your average Monday.

Which is why there are no good RPs.

>drowning

Git gud son.

>fall pits
>crushing chambers
>railways of death
>DELICIOUS MAGMA
>bridges

And of course for the most FUN you can break into hell so that the circus can come up into your tomb. Of course, never to defile your body. No. That's protected by being unpathable - collapse the entrance and then flood that area with magma. But woe will befall any who dare enter your tomb.

Forgot to add in that it was Postal 2

The game with cat silencers and MC with infinite bladder?

Also Gary Coleman.
And yep!

I hope that Conan sandbox game coming out is good. I just want a game I can autistically disappear into and role play.

eyeroll.jpg

Victoria 2, playing a game as Communist Zulus, seeking to liberate Africa from the white devil

Needless to say, It was hard as fuck and I only managed it after getting an alliance with the Soviet Union and Communist Britain.

kek

See, this is my problem.

I want to roleplay in video games, specifically MMOs, but I try to make myself as not overpowered as possible. I try to play someone who might start off as untalented, but grows more talented and powerful over a period of weeks, months, etc. But people don't want to roleplay when I do those sorts of things.

When I play someone who is "secretly" super talented though, and acts enigmatic, then people are suddenly interested. I don't like playing these sorts of people, though, because to me it's just being a special snowflake who's uber talented and skilled and hasn't done things to EARN that talent expect in my backstory. It feels like I'm cheating.

>thinking about playing some kind of priest
>no crypt looting
Fuuuuuuuck

Following traffic laws in GTA.

It's harder then it seems.

In order to get wider audiences mmos focused more on the objective aspect like dungeons and quests than the roleplauing parts that make it seem like a living breathing world. Its sad to say, but Im kinda glad the genres dead for now. It needs a reset to get back to basics.

Honestly Xenoverse seems like a vidya I'd love to rp in but I ain't going to do it over voice cause I don't wanna yell for twenty minutes.

Darkest Dungeon, when playing the Heir as a person with positively no time and money for weaklings. I would throw new adventurers without any ressources into suicide mission and only keep those who did well.

It created some impressive storylines but the best one was when three Abominations in the same party went heroic and proceeded to kill everything in the Coves so fast you would think I had called an Exterminatus.

I've played GTAV once. I was high as balls at a friend's place. I just got in my car and drove around the outskirts taking in the views. Obeyed all the traffic laws, drove carefully and safely. It was only the next day that the other guys told me I'd been at it for almost 4 straight hours.

I did this shit, and had a blast with it. I got all the survival mods like Frostfall and shit, and then did the alternate start where you start as a dunmer refugee, and basically played that. I made sure to get the atronoch stone, and played her as some sort of chosen one who could absorb magic, which was how she got the various shouts she absorbed but couldn't use because I never did the dragonborn questline.

You went pacifist or psycho?

Not really intentionally roleplaying, but when I play CK2 I do get into character a bit. I hold grudges, I find states that I like and hate, I feel betrayed when a friend attacks me.

As for specific characters I once had a game where I played as the Jewish ruler in Abyssinia and tried to reconquer the holy land. I always named all of my sons Shlomo and all of my daughters Shloma, which is how I found out that the AI will start using your custom names after a while. Late in the playthrough, after I had become Emperor of Abyssinia, King of Israel and ruled all of Africa and had a puppet state in Spain I ended up with a ruler who died in a duel days after taking the throne, with a daughter as his only child.

This is how I became /pol/'s worst nightmare. Empress Shloma of Abyssinia, the Ethiopian, Lesbian Queen of the Jews, conqueror of Rome and enemy of all of Christendom. I launched a full scale Jewish invasion of southern Europe, managing to take good chunks of Greece, Italy, and Southern France.

Which mod was this? I'm looking for a 16th century mod to be a puffy Landsknecht in

Use to rp with oblivion all the time. My favorite was taking the poisoned apple from the dark brotherhood questline and use the duplication glitch on it. Then i'd hand one out to EVERY npc, and rp a "last man on earth" character. sleep in peoples homes, scavenge for supplies from the "disease infested" cities. Would even make one of the small settlements my home base and protect it from random wild animals...... Wow no wonder i never had a gf in high school.

I'm pretty sure there are way easier ways to kill off every NPC like using console commands but the last man on earth idea actually does sound really fun, I might try it myself in Skyrim.

i loved that game.

That screenshot, what region, server and/or event is that from?

OP said videogames, not real life.

My first Fallout New Vegas character was a Mexican radio repairman with a finely-trimmed handlebar mustache. Living out of a trailer, selling junk, drugs, and refurbished guns to Chet, before one day buying a pre-War business suit and a fresh pair of reading glasses off a passing caravan merchant. This ushered in a new height of ambition, and one day he strolled into New Vegas with enough caps to buy his way in out of pocket. He made the necessary changes one by one and in a month's time he was running the place.

In Fallout 4 I played a science teacher who became a full-fledged neo Nazi and put every fucking Minuteman he encountered in stocks because executing them via gatling laser was mysteriously not working.

Kirin Tor, which is a french server.

And another screen

I also RPed in Guild Wars 2. My character was an Asura Golemancer who only fought with the Asura racial skills and traveled around researching possible improvements or advances in their technology. But it was hard to find others who didn't fall into the bad RP stereotypes described in . Everyone was Logan Thackery's long-lost brother or a Charr warmaster.

I know right?

I used to roleplay in Guild Wars 2 as well. A Sylvari who's time in the dream happened to be filled with the memories of people writing knightly literature and enjoying such things. So of course when he came out of the pod, he was dedicated to becoming the knightliest knight who ever knighted.

But then people didn't like that, or were passive aggressive about things like "isn't a knight a HUMAN title for a HUMAN noble who doesn't DO THAT SORT OF THING IN REAL LIFE" and it's like, motherfucker.

Shit's rough when you're not a super talented dude right from the get-go. Also there were so many people who openly roleplayed being part of the Nightmare Court it made me want to rip their leaves out.

Even as someone who roleplays on tabletop I cannot get over how fucking nerdy it is to roleplay in MMOs.

Seriously it's embarrassing.

There is no nerd hierarchy on Veeky Forums, friend.

Our anonymity makes us equal.