Whats the board for pre-history? I want to dinosaur shitpost

Whats the board for pre-history? I want to dinosaur shitpost.

(Yes I know this is not a dinosaur.)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiology_of_dinosaurs
theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/14/scientists-reveal-most-accurate-depiction-of-a-dinosaur-ever-created
saurian.maxmediacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/rjpalmer_trex_infographic_007.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i think that would be either here or Veeky Forums, eitherway dinosaurs are still enough Veeky Forums related

If a giant reptillian monster from the dino ages isn't a dino, what is it?

dead

Something that falls within the biological classification of dinosaur maybe?

And if chickens are vertibrates why aren't they mammals?
Stupid question

What are the red beaked thingies?

Dino shitposting? does this mean we have to have a war about feathers again?

/an/ probably.

I think you want /x/, since dinosaurs are mythical creatures.

"Alioramus Altai", according to the artist.

Feathers are cool, I prefer them over giant lizards mainly because it could look super scary.

We might never know how exactly they looked.

Would you rather shitpost about how the new spinosaurus is gay and ugly?

That's a dinosaur OP. Better hold off until you know what you're talking about.

What kinda dinosaur would be ideal as war mount?

"New spinosaurus"?

Pre-historic is the term for any kind of civilization that has neither it's own history documented or is mentioned by others.
What you're looking for is palaeontology, and I think that's supposed to be part of Veeky Forums.

Not stopping you from discussing it here, but you shouldn't do it on Veeky Forums.

Yutyrannus. It's fluffy, It's big, but not too big, and it's arms aren't to small.

It would be a pain in the ass to feed a carnivore wouldn't it be?

Not sure about war but I do have this handy pet guide.

The one that takes directions the easiest while having the lowest chance of trying to actively kill it's handlers.

If you factor in logistics and training you'd never have a carnivore as a mount.

Were there omnivore dinosaurs?

the hypsylophodon, and the compsagnathus seem like the best pets.

>requires space/frequent exercise
that's exactly the same as german sheperd
>a bit nippy
Cats, anybody?

Nice edit

>PC edition

I want to run a game where the players are cavemen type hunters and get tracked through a blizzard by these things.

Pretty sure, but mostly smaller ones, I think.

Here's a better version.

Don't the dinosaurs need heat?

Omnivores were probably about as common as they are today. Very few animals are consistently omnivorous. But tons of animals will eat stuff like bugs and rodents when they find them.

Chickens and pigs are good examples of omnivorous domesticated animal. They can generally survive on vegetable diets, although it's best if you have a variety of different grains and nuts for protein.

I thought they were warmblooded.

Don't ask me, I'm not a dinosaur scientist.

Fuck. I bit. I'm sorry everybody.
>FUCKING ANTI-DINOSAUR FAGGOTS!!!!!!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiology_of_dinosaurs

Apparently it is debated.

Warmblooded is an outdated term brah. Get with the times.

What's the current term then?

Icthyosaurs come from a branch of reptiles that split from the branch which would become dinosaurs before dinosaurs existed.

Dinosaurs' closest living relatives are crocodilians and birds. Icthyosaurs' closest living relatives are turtles and tortoises.

Circulatorally challenged

Differently-temperatured, you cis-temp scum

I like feathered dinosaurs, too. Archaeopteryx has always been one of my favorite proto-birds anyway.

Endothermic ("warmblooded") and ectothermic ("coldblooded"), although it's not as simple as "hot and cold". Afaik there are also other variants of thermoregulation in animals, but I am not very knowledgeable about this.

Just because it's an aquatic reptile dosen't mean you can't call it a dinosaur, the only people who correct you are neckbeards who get off to that.

It's not totally clear.

For some of the larger ones, like the really big sauropods, it's likely impossible that they were warm-blooded, since they'd essentially cook themselves alive just by walking around.

But for others--especially smaller theropod dinosaurs, like raptors--it's quite possible that they were warm-blooded, considering they'd have to be pretty reliant on quick movement and reflexes to hunt and avoid being hunted.

>caring about Paleozoic reptiles is lame

Whoops, Mesozoic.

Id love to play or even get a book series involving dinsauriods. Fuck.

Thoughts

Don't get me wrong, tribal dinosaurs is cool, but just give them some thumbs. How did they even make that stuff without them? With their teeth?

you'll probably have trouble balancing stone weapons vs. tough hides. justifying fighting anything more than a velociraptor (and that's pushing it) will be tough.

Birds are literally dinosaurs my dude.

You're right, I meant non-avian dinosaurs.

Even childrens know the difference, idiot.

>the only people who correct you are neckbeards who get off to that
You miswrote "I'm an ignorant fuck".

Humanity overestimates itself. its a huge flaw.

Satisfying both parties is not hard

the quadruped stance isn't as supported as it was two and a half years ago when the paper first came out. We're still not entirely sure but it's unlikely the front limbs could have been built to bear weight because Theropod limbs are NOT designed to do so.

It's generally agreed upon that they were or something similar, for the carnivores especially.

I believe if Giraffatitan was cold blooded, it would take over a hundred years to grow to full size.

As far as the scientific community is concerned all theropods (the group T-rex, raptors and other bipedal dinosaurs belong to) had a feather-like hair whose length depends on whether they were used for body heat regulation or gliding through the air (basically only the smaller species developed it as full on feathers while T-Dex and co looked fluffy).

Christ that is terrifying.

It's always more unnerving when an animal is looking right at you

Did anyone else start hating paleontologists when they started putting feathers on everything?

As far as I'm concerned Jurassic Park is the height of dino science. Also, Walking With Dinosaurs.

You mean when they realized they were doing something wrong for decades and fixed the mistake?

No. Nobody else hates that.

FUCKING FEATHER FAGS GET OUT!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm not sure you understand how big of an advantage being able to firmly grip objects actually is. Now it looks like one of their digits is acting as a thumb there, which is fine, but having very little upper/forward body strength and no thumbs is pretty condemning when it comes to making tools and weapons.

Might be a little less unnerving without the crocodile teeth, but I guess dinosaurs having lips is still a fairly recent theory.

A little. depends on the depiction.

Why go caveman? Everyone always wants to do the caveman game but fail to realize that being a caveman sucked so hard that humans evolved the fuck outta there way long ago

The mouth is open so you'd see the teeth anyways

>As far as the scientific community is concerned all theropods (the group T-rex, raptors and other bipedal dinosaurs belong to) had a feather-like hair
But's that completely wrong. Allosauridae didn't have feathers, and all evidence points to T-rex (esspecialy adult T-Rex) not having feathers either.

Featherfags are the worst.

>it's wrong because I say so lol i magically know things from hundreds of millions of years ago
>let me tell you what color dinosaurs were next lol

I hate to break it to you man

theguardian.com/science/2016/sep/14/scientists-reveal-most-accurate-depiction-of-a-dinosaur-ever-created

There's no evidence to suggest it was bald either.

Who's team ankylosaurus?

I love these tanks.

Any good dino podcasts?
Whats the best dino documentary and movies?

In terms of sheer quality and effort put into it WWD is still the best I'd argue. Even if it's a bit outdated.

WWD?

Planet Dinosaur & Dinosaur Revolution are decent.

Funny how that series managed to predict the direction that Resident Evil would end up taking.

Walking with Dinosaurs

Ohh right, I remember watching that as a kid, good stuff.

Yes there is, the near complete nano-tyrannus skin impressions which show no feathers. Unfortunately it's in a private collection, and so we can only go off of the word of the few researchers who've studied it like peter larson.
There's also the fact that we've known about T rex for 130 years, have found tons of skin samples and yet not one example of feathers.
Or that there are no examples of tyrannosaurids with feathers.

There is absolutely no evidence T-rex had feathers, and plenty of evidence it didn't.
Feathered T-rex is a baseless meme that needs to die.

>Planet Dinosaur & Dinosaur Revolution are decent.
Agreed.

Do you think pre-history man was successful at his attempts to domesticate dinos?

I wanted to become a Paleontologist. Now I'm in the middle of a masters in History that I can barely motivate myself to complete. I regret not going with my dream of becoming Alan Grant several times a week.

This is bait. I'm not going to even go into the Nanotyrannus argument or that Peter Larson is a gigantic asshole who has continuously tried to put money ahead of actual study. Bastard tried to sell Sue to a private collection and only failed because the entire city got in on selling it to the museum, and he later sold the Dueling Dinosaurs so we'll never know for sure what they are.

Also, as far as skin samples go, the ONLY skin sample we are *positive* came from T.rex is this tiny smidgen that is pic related. And it's likely on the underside of the tail, where we figured it would have bare skin. (SKIN mind you, not scales.)

There's no evidence that large Tyrannosaurids ever lost the feathers they once had, and given Nanuqsaurus (who is very closely related mind you) almost CERTAINLY had feathers given the climate it lived in, to deny that T.rex had any sort of plumage is silly.

I hold nothing for other large Theropods. I think it's fairly well understood now that Allosaurus and its descendants did not have feathers.

saurian.maxmediacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/rjpalmer_trex_infographic_007.jpg If you're interested in more

Wasn't there a few million years or something between the last dinosaurs and the first humans?

allegedly

Given that chinks apparently were having chicken for dinner 10k years ago I would say that they were pretty successful.

I remember when sue first came to the field museum. They displayed the head first and let everyone take photos with it.

Maybe /an/.

Alternately /k/ for Indominus Rex related fetishes.

>watching walking with dinosaurs with dad
>cute little dinosaurs innawoods
>giant ass dinosaur out of nowhere trying to eat them
>they get a away
>dad's like "wut they just got away? what is this gay shit?"

I've loved Pachycephalosaurus since I was like 5

for a couple pathfinder groups I petitioned hard to be able to get one as an animal companion but the gms would never allow it. Maybe one day

About 30 million years between the end of the dinosaurs and the first primates.

About 62 million years between the end of the dinosaurs and the emergence of Homo.

H.Sapiens appears around 250,000 years ago.

How about some civilization with mid-1700s technology?

>tfw 90% documentaries about prehistoric life are either about dinosaurs or muh ice age fauna

/an/ has a dino general from time to time

If by caveman you mean a palaeolithic civilisation, then no, life back then was quite comfy.
>they didn't have to work for longer than 4-5 hours a day
>they lived in close knit tribes with occasional cities if land was rich enough
If only they had medicine and modern dentistry.

Time portals, my friend.