Sorta HFY

Scenario:
>Humanity is extinct. How or why does not matter.

>What does matter is that humanity once had a gigantic interstellar empire stretching across the galaxy. It has touched almost every single major star system with its hands and shaped it to its needs. Alien races that fought against it were defeated. The dangerous ones eliminated, the useful ones rebuilt into powerful allies or made subservient. Humanity uplifted primitive races and made them part of the empire. Humanity used their boundless knowledge to create races, organic or inorganic and also made them part of the empire. Whole planets were remade to suit their needs and their subjects. Gigantic metal rings built around planets, stations of immense size and power, etc

>When humanity became extinct, all the other races swallowed up their legacy. When peaceful partition was not an option, open war became the norm. The other races declared themselves the successor of Mankind while others declared Man's achievements to be the hard work sponged off others. In today's galaxy Humanity is revered across the galaxy as the perfect race. Beautiful, intelligent and creative. Some extremists worship them as the god-race.

>Thus the whole galaxy is now in a struggle of epic proportions. Armed conflict, proxy warfare, covert operations, and strife is the new normal.

cont:

So I have broken down the races into a few categories

>Usurpers: Alien races that have no relation to man nor interacted in the past. Outsiders.
>Successors: Races created by man. Organic and often human-looking with significant differences. Pic related.
>Manufactured: Machine races created by man to serve as intelligent workers or slaves. Machines tend to exhibit the extremes views of humans with some outright hating them or worshiping them.
>Uplifted: Alien races uplifted culturally or genetically by humans
>Others: Alien races that interacted with humanity in the past. Many are either allies or defeated by mankind in the past.
>Guardians: organic or inorganic races that view humanity's achievements to be sacred and thus to be protected from misuse.

So Veeky Forums, what are the races that might inhabit this galaxy? Technology?

Scifi Pugmire

Smells like halo.

Bumping out of interest

basically humans created the galactic order with other aliens. They maintained it and when they went bye-bye everyone moved in to get the super duper tech.

I liked the Serious Sam setting. Humans made the best guns and quickly became the arms dealers of the galaxy.

How is humanity extinct when their demi-human off-shoots still exist? What killed them and not the obviously very similar subspecies?

Spreading a species across a galaxy is going to cause some notable changes as they adapt to different situations. Did the core "human" template just get lost in the mix?

"reconstructed humans" whose DNA was assembled from damaged DNA traces or from strands taken from races they inserted their own DNA into to uplift.

>what is protheans from mass effect

>How is humanity extinct when their demi-human off-shoots still exist? What killed them and not the obviously very similar subspecies?
Not OP, but I can offer some suggestions to this:

They all uploaded their minds to machines and eventually went insane when some virus infected their networks.

Cloning sickness, after progressive generatons of clones cloning clones cloning clones and so on, so their DNA was degraded to the point they could no longer survive without machine support; and eventually, not at all.

Our DNA was constructed by an even higher race and contained a hidden killswitch that was mysteriously activated one day.

a race of catgirls

Fighting the wolf-girls

Being preyed upon the pervert machines of Sextis VI

>sling tied to gas tube

>Entire race uploaded rather than the elites while the majority remain biologically finite.
Not likely on a planetary scale, let alone a galactic one.

>Cloning sickness.
The technology for cloning doesn't make you forget how to procreate. What would make mass-production of people necessary while fazing out older tried and tested ways of getting new people?

>God or Space-God did the rapture.
This is going to be a weird kinda sci-fi but I actually dig this one even if it does boil down to "a wizard did it" levels of plot.

What little I remember of that show was terrible but yes you could throw little situations like this into the mix.

Check out HC SVNT DRACONES OP

Pretty much the exact same backstory. It's basically Eclipse Phase but aimed at Fury fetishest.

No furfaggotry allowed

>>Humanity is extinct. How or why does not matter.

I tried to avoid long-winded backstories but whatever floats your boat.

Leftover human cryptids angry that their reputation has been lost to the ages and that anytime someone sees them it's "AH! ITS A HUMAN!"

Whoops, sorry OP I missed the point a bit at the first.

>Alien insectoids whose pupal state resembles humanoid parameters but traditionally larval in youth and carapace-covered humanoid-beatles in later life. Their majority population don't reach beatle-age and make use of old human tech while the eldest rulers can hardly fit in a ship not customized to their size

>>Entire race uploaded rather than the elites while the majority remain biologically finite.
>Not likely on a planetary scale, let alone a galactic one.
Post scarcity society where machines do all the work.
>>Cloning sickness.
>The technology for cloning doesn't make you forget how to procreate. What would make mass-production of people necessary while fazing out older tried and tested ways of getting new people?
Cloning allows you to replicate the best and brightest of your species. Conventional sex for procrration instead of pleasure became taboo. So for a few millenia there was a huge craze over cloning before they started detecting problems. Then by that point they were sterile.

She's a kid. She doesn't know any better

>Conventional sex for procrration instead of pleasure became taboo
Maybe even illegal, since the totalitarian government wanted to control all new citizens and their genotypes

welp, this is going to turn into "le cuck meymey" within the hour

What would happen if one of the alien races found a lone cryopod drifting through space. They open it up to find a single human inside.
It's bob from accounting, frozen long before humanity became a super race.

I was thinking along the lines of Brave New World

Long-lived enormous reptilian creatures who were in a tribal state for millenia until a human probe satalite broke down and crashed in orbit. Its discovery and examination catipulted their people forward culturally as they began to look upward differently, even if they wouldn't understand the technology behind it for some time, they would Live long enough to see it happen. They have only recently arrived on the galactic scene and are eagerly seeking "the sky-fool" people to return their lost trinket as ownership and property rights were integral to their social development from primitive status; they were and are very territorial, but only over what it claimed or presumably claimed.

What I like more is that the villain invades numerous planets, obtains trace DNA from all of the uplifted races, until he has enough DNA to reconstruct a human. He creates a massive genetics facility and awakens what he thinks is a god, but its just a naked dude with the mind of a newborn.

Doesn't matter, not on a venezuelan fishing conglomerate imageboard

I think it'd be funnier if it was a naked surfer dude.

>How is humanity extinct when their demi-human off-shoots still exist?
I have two favorite takes on why the precursor race would cease to exist.

The first option is that they became so advanced that they came to a final answer to all their question, a certain universal truth, did everything there is to do, lost their drive to live and just floated around in existential despair before committing collective suicide.

The second option is that instead of a final answer they came to a final question, and they couldn't move on before answering this question, but it turned out that the question had two radically opposed answers, so one side could not tolerate the existence of the other, and they they fought themselves to extinction in an internal conflict, mostly invisible to others.

That said, I am also of the belief that a sufficiently advanced civilization spanning the galaxy, instead of having trillions of members, would be reduced to mere hundreds of thousands of extremely powerful individuals aided by legions of robots and servants, most of them living in solitude and focused on their personal pursuits in their little sector of the galaxy and meeting with others of their race once in a while, maybe for a council or just because one of them wants to be a tourist for a while.

Or a pot-head.

>This is going to be a weird kinda sci-fi but I actually dig this one even if it does boil down to "a wizard did it" levels of plot.
Just put in some extremely scarce, extremely vague allusions to how we "grew too powerful" and how the ancient watchers couldn't permit humanity to achieve godhood.

BAM. Deepest Lore. Dark Souls fans will spend hours trying to figure it out.

Think it sort of does matter. Mysterious extinction creates an entirely different set of circumstances among the aliens/etc when compared to a technological extinction or biological or war/defeat. One might inspire fear of following humanity while the other might encourage them to try and follow and improve their technology to avoid the same end.

it was open ended for interpretation.

Each race has their own version or theory. Nothing will be clear cut. Adds more mystery.

So basically this is halo only the highly advanced precursor modern humans instead of ancient humans?

I suppose it make things slightly easier to swallow, but other than that I'm not really sure how it changes things.

unlike halo everyone knows humans are gone and everything is up for grabs and easily accessible for those who are in the know.

A group of amicable creatures who can only scarcely shed a reflection of themselves into our observable dimensions of the universe. They are explorers from another realm, eager to meet and greet once they manage to establish communication. It is difficult for them to do so however, as they do not yet have audio-sensory perception. It is uncertain why they seem to try to help creatures in some form of visually-expressed distress or what if anything they're looking for, but most of them seem to be happy to wave hello before going about their business like some kind of friendly neighbor.

>humans ended up similar to culture humans, with built in drug glands and educations
>clone one
>instant entitled hedonist dickhead

I believe you mean Forerunners or possibly even Progenitors from Halo. The Protheans were just a bunch of assholes mooching off of tech from previous cycles. Really, the Protheans aren't all that impressive, even in their own setting.

Why does everyone point to Halo? It hardly invented precursor races or even highly advanced ancient superhumans.

Because it did them pretty well, on top of a few not-entirely-predictable plot twists, in a genre that is decidedly lowbrow even for vidyagames

No, but it is the most well-known setting for it.

"Gigantic metal rings built around planets, stations of immense size and power, etc" -OP.

Probably just that and its ubiquity in the previous decade or so.

Arboreal back-to-nature culture that is working to dismantle a human relic in orbit around their homeworld's moon. They don't hate it or disrespect the precursors, but their culture is really big on dead things being consumed for the sake of the living and are keeping it secret that they've already learned plenty from a hidden, terrestrial ruin that was in better condition as it was a bunker to survive catastrophe while the orbital relic is mostly just utilitarian tech for travel around the moons.

Their world has a rapid day/night cycle from a high velocity spin that somewhat off-sets its gravity well to the effect that despite being a giant terrestrial world it has earth-normal gravity within acceptable differences. It has several other moons which also reflect sunlight which has made it possible and viable for photosynthetic life, though arboreal nervous systems are possibly an artificial uplift, no one claims responsibility for it.

Nah I mean like just imagine it:
>you've alienated your friends and family
>you've broken hundreds maybe thousands of intergalactic laws
>you've committed some of the worst crimes against life that a being can even imagine
>you've spent decades of your life on one hair-brained risky obsession
>but all that is worth it because tonight you revive God
>as the being stumbles from the chamber he looks up at you through his golden locks, naked and almost vulnerable
>as his eyes struggle to focus on you he speaks to you his first holy decree: "Bro, I'm so thrashed right now."

Yea verily, for I art stoked to see thou.

May thine killer waves descend upon mine enemies.

They ascended to a higher plane to fight a sixth dimensional evil

I like it, kind of reminds me of a not!high fantasy setting I had once.

>Humanity progressed to the near-singularity, strife had all but been eliminated
>with the advent of genetic modification, cybernetic engineering, and much more, three primary factions emerged from the unified humanity
>Superhumanists; those who held the human form and condition to be sacred and pure. They wished to push man to his absolute limit as an individual and as a civilization, while ultimately remaining human.
>Transhumanists; similar to the superhumanists, with the exception that they were interested in experiencing life from a perspective separate from humanity, while ultimately retaining the human condition in its majority
>Posthumanists; those concerned with neither the human form nor the human condition, they sought to improve themselves to their upmost peaks as individuals, as egos

>There was a war, and humanity lost

>Earth has regressed, most of the artifacts of its once great civilization wiped away
>There are no more baseline humans
>ancient systems from old-man, both civilian and military, litter the new Earth
>only the descendents of the superhumans are "humans" in this new world, holding immense power and potential for growth within them
>the descendents of the transhumans form the other races of the world, them solidifying into clans and families without the ability to modify themselves. They range from almost humans, to beast-people, to things that would be almost alien if not for their minds
>there are no descendents of the posthumans, only those few great and terrible ones that survived the war, and slumbered

>That said, I am also of the belief that a sufficiently advanced civilization spanning the galaxy, instead of having trillions of members, would be reduced to mere hundreds of thousands of extremely powerful individuals aided by legions of robots and servants, most of them living in solitude and focused on their personal pursuits in their little sector of the galaxy and meeting with others of their race once in a while, maybe for a council or just because one of them wants to be a tourist for a while.

This, I like the idea of post-humanity being a supergalactic power, but only with a million humans.

This sounds kind of like Twilight Imperium. I think. Is this Twilight Imperium?

In any event, a question needs to be asked. What drove Humanity extinct?

that would be an amazing picture.
If it wasn't a fucking cat-girl.
Shittest of taste.

Shame of having made 40k

I can't help but imagine this as CATastrophe, space edition.

depends on quality. quit being a party pooper.

>What drove Humanity extinct?
I think the OP said it doesn't matter. I personally like the "Ascended" concept, that they simply reached a level of existence equivalent to Godhood from our perspective and peaced out.

Maybe humanity rose up to another level of existence as a whole so the God-race isn't an overstatement.
Think of it like "the rapture".

>try banning humans from having sex
Man that's dumb to a whole new level.

Of course they wouldn't ban humans having sex.

They'd ban having sex without getting your tubes tied first (or whatever procedure exists in the future).

Fragged Empire had a similar backstory, kinda.

Humans were going extinct via "genetic erosion" so they made a race, called the Archons, to inherit their empire. The Archons made a batch of races of their own, one of which revolted and wiped out the Archons. Hundred or so years and you play as the survivors of that genocidal conflict.

That would be the shittiest way for our species to go extinct honestly. We aren't wiped out or ascend to a higher place of existence. We just kinda...rot away, slowly.

>supergalactic power, but only with a million humans
I really like this, but what I'm imagining have their own warp drives and starship quality sensory suites, otherwise living among megastructures would just be impractical.

>beatle age
fund it

does All Tomorrows count?
they're almost all still technically human, just... altered.

is that why they were cockroach aliens with african accents?

We wuz progenitors n shiet

Would that really be the shittiest? It's the best I could imagine. It even gives you enough time to get your affairs in order and create beings to continue your legacy. I mean individual humans die all the time, there wasn't anybody going to see eternity anyway.

Clearly a wolfgirl, fucking pleb

Was Humanity part is really needed?

Because it is interetsing setting on its own and without HFY stuff it would be better.

Eh, I like the megastructures, actually.
"Humans as artists" always tickled me the right way, and the idea of humans alone, or tens or hundreds, equipped with swarms of drones and super-advanced ships for the sole purpose of reshaping worlds and systems as they see fit for purely aesthetic values is something fun to think about.

The only time they would ever join up is back on Earth, which has been purposefully restored to it's natural state while a glorious network of orbitals are around it.

Why would it be better if the progenitor race is aliens?

Fragged Empire.
That's what this is. Go play that system.

Would personally go with breaking it down into:
Outsiders (Aliens):
>Subs: Aliens who were conquered or ended up in a subservient position to Humanity - unique physiology that can be a boon or a hindrance depending on the situation (as human civilisation was geared towards human physiology) but generally having access to technology that mitigates that and interfaces with human technology fairly easily, as well as having a good understanding of and access to human technology in general.
>Doms: Aliens who remained free and seperate from humanity, also occasionally conquered humanity on a small scale - technology can almost always overcome any hindrance their physiology might have, except when it comes to *peacefully* interacting with old human technology. At the same time, have best access to anti-human-tech both in terms of hard cracking human info systems and physically penetrating human defenses by force.

Breeds (organic created races, hybrids and originals):
>Floofs: Former sentient pets/pleasure creatures, often very physically quick and possessed of enough human-like features to find interacting with human-technology easy and natural, but generally are physically very weak and fragile and heavily reliant on human healing technology.
>Prods: Sentient foodstock, physically tough due to high rate of wound regeneration, but may lack appendages neccesary to manipulate any but the most basic of human technology without heavy modification.

Madein (inorganic created races):
>Service: Androids and gynoids designed for doing light maintenance and interacting with human technology as though a human.
>Industrials: Former industrial machines.

Then divide them by views on human tech (destroy it/harness it/preserve it) and future goals (New Empire/survival & peace/Old Empire)

Doesn't make much sense for food stock to be sentient, maybe a slave race?

Depends on the foodstock - was thinking of them being both sentient plant people who just cut things off for others to eat and intelligent cows/sheep who also have side products like wool and milk.

Sentience also makes sense if you're gonna drop them en masse on a planet and expect them to survive before later harvesting them. Humans worked on weird scales.

Prods wouldn't be very happy or look too fondly on their former overlords.

Honest answer would stance on HFY.
For people who hate HFY (those include more people than just misanthropes or those who love human sucks stories only), making humanity into ultra advanced galactic empire what shaped it for generation and will be imporant as legacy in future is something what ruins setting.

I had an idea similar to this a couple years back, inspired by a pic I seem to have misplaced. A race of amorphous blobs that place great esteem in the human shape and will often wear masks and equipment that help them to emulate humans.

Also, given that there doesn't appear to be sling swivels of any kind on the weapon, it's probably a modification out of necessity

YES.

I mean, gifting a race sentience for the purpose of taking care of itself only to be eaten just sounds way too mustache-twirlingly evil.

If humans have the scientific know how to genetically engineer sentient plant people for the eating wouldn't they also be able to use the exact same genetic engineering to make crazy hardy vegetables that they could plant on barren or dead worlds?

It would make more sense to me if humans just made a race of designer slaves to harvest and farm and do the food shit for us.

anyone got that one greentext story of humans making smart dogs, humans die and dogs end up meeting aliens?

>Pic Related

>humanity suddenly dies
Did they try to make a reality-bending mecha and it accidentally genocided them making humanity part of it?

Who?

I warned them faggots but they went and did it anyway.

FAR could be a good example too

>people don't recognise a fucking numidium reference.
Sad!

I was trying to make a joke by subverting the expectation but okay man.

I assumed the you were too retarded for a subvertion of a joke, so I subverted my expectations. I'm sorry.