MTG: AeR {Prerelease

all right boys, it's almost time. what's the top card you hope to pull from your packs?

pic unrelated

No matter what I pull it's already a good night, pic related

Once again not going because it's not cost-effective to go to a prerelease (cost of tournament $25, cost of 6 packs $18)

While I want to go tonight, only getting 4 packs of the new set is pretty lame.

I don't think you understand how Limited works.

How did prereleases work when there were 3 sets in a block come the third set?

2-2-2?

1-1-4?

>I don't think you understand how Limited works.

How so? You're not going to top 8, and only top 8 gets anything on top of their sealed pol and promo rare.

>have work at midnight so I can. Go tonight
>spending time with my family and gf so no time over the weekend
>money isn't scarce but I know I should be spending money on more important stuff.
>yfw life getting in the way of magic.

This is why I love pre release, haven't gone less than x-0 since m15, getting around 18 packs on the average from prize support alone

Good for you, but for most people prerelease is not worth going to unless the cost of attending is very close to what you normally pay for six boosters.

Black looks like hot dog shit this set unless you pull the few good uncommons.

That's luck friend. You could be a better deck builder but when your opponent opens 4 on color bombs and you open crap there isn't much you can do.

I opened a Grindstone and no Painter's Servant.
Played a super silly Sram deck with only nine creatures but with Siege Modification, tons of removal in Mardu colors and jut silly things. Went 2-2 with it but won no prize packs.

Depends on the block.
Draft is 1-1-1 for a large-small-small block.
Sealed I can't remember because it's been ages since I last did a large-small-small prerelease.
But sometimes you have a large-small-large block, in which case:
Draft for the first two is 2-1.
Draft for the third set is 3.
Sealed for the first two is 2-4.
Sealed for the third set is 6.

Beat people that have pulled planeswalkers, master pieces, and things like avacyn, and some times a combination of the three. Constructed I'm a rogue Brewer that makes consistent top 8s and for draft and seal it's pretty common I go x-0 and some times X-1, even with bad pulls. Like I'm honestly pretty good at this game, trying not to be conceited but it's true.

>everything I say is totally believable

So you agree then that going to prerelease is cost effective only to rogue brewers?

Played a midnight prerelease, built W/G aggro with pic-related. Second of roughly thirty participants.

Pulled a masterpiece Engineered Explosives. Managed to fit it into my deck, recurring it with Scrap Trawler was nice. Went 3-1 but it was a casual event so payouts were the same no matter how well you did.
I feel like kaladesh sealed was better than aether revolt, but maybe that's because both I and the opponents I went against in kaladesh had really good sealed pools.

Was hoping for EDH playables, Yahenni, legends in general, at least one mythic or decent foil

Wound up playing a deck with no card valued above a dollar, containing decent-ish white rares, white-black revolt that fell over to a stiff breeze or even the slightest removal, blue and green pools were impossible and my red was tied into stuff like Depala when I had no vehicles

Went 0-4, managed a single 2-1 when the value gods decided to let my deck actually do something, all thanks to Eddytrail Hawk letting in some attackers

pulled nothing
now have two copies of Consulate Crackdown
everything is horrible

>Caring about cost effectiveness in your hobby

I'm going to the prerelease precisely because it cost as much as the 6 packs

Not to mention it's the only time you'll be able to play with all the jank you pulled from a booster.

POO IN THE LOO

>dominos

Other than the midnight event, our prerelease sessions are capped at thee rounds and anyone with positive score gets prizes. I won 2/3 matches and got two boosters on top of participation booster which you're guaranteed if you do all three rounds.

£22 for the event, I'm leaving with the prerelease box and three boosters.

didn't see there was another thread... anyway my wall of text from other thread

hey guys, how was your prerelease?
Mine was okayish i guess... the only downside was shop owners' son who was a total self-centred faggot who irritated everyone.

My pulls were fine i guess, no masterpiece card. Actually noone pulled masterpiece.

Went:
2-0
2-0
0-2
2-1
Didn't get anything anyway because of some bullshit points or whatever... i actually felt sad.

I had some very nice green and black pulls so that's what my deck was.
Had 2 green implements which worked wonderfully with the Revolt rule, especially with my Livecraft Cavarly which i wished i had more than 1.
Fatal Push and Foundry Hornet were really fun too.
Scrounging Bandar was fun utility creature to move some counters.
Defiant Salvager worked really nice with Servos/Oviya Pashiri

Pic related are rares/mythics i pulled with the exception of Natural Obsolescence which i included because it was my MVP card today.
I could taste the salt when people artifacts went on the bottom of the deck.

From the other prerelease box i got after the event i got
Herald of Anguish
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
Scrap Trawler
Confiscation coup
Blooming Marsh
and promo Quicksmith Rebel

Hope you had a great time friends and that you at least got consolation booster unlike me or you just won. (i fucking won 3 out of 4 games reeeee)

>when your opponent opens 4 on color bombs and you open crap there isn't much you can do.
this

OP here, I completely bombed. 3 of my rates including the promos were 5 drop enchantments, and neither of my creatures or spells in either color were really good enough to support it. My black pool was ass. Went UR artifacts with a couple of improvise creatures but lacked any real speed, only removal being burn and tap down. I got out removaled by black and out creatured by well. Everything. When I was dropping a 4/4 hexproof turn 5 they got a 6/6 trample. I really need to stop running red in limited.

Holy shit man, just asking for show of hands how many people played WG or BG? There were like 6 people at my prerelease who went these colors.

You need to pull the good red stuff, user. Like this plus two shocks and two other removal spells.

Best play was probably getting the daredevil dragster with Kari Zevs expertise, attack and sac it for card draw. Still lost that game though.

Still, had some great games and went 2-3

WB here, because both color can easily turn on revolt and both have nasty revolt abilities. Aethergeode Miner is one dirty revolt trick.

>tfw opened jackshit of good cards

My pulls:

1. Dubious Challenge
2. Padeem
3. Quicksmith rebel
4. Aethertide Whale
5. Whirl of Invention
6. Consulate Crackdown

Baral's expertise as promo

aaaand the guy in front of me got promo harvester, Saheeli, and the 3/4 elephant. I'm feeling salty.

>I'm feeling salty
not as salty as the dude who lost to me after he dropped Cataclysmic Gearhulk 2 times, won with 1 hp left.

>tfw working this afternoon

I really wanted to go this time and I don't think my shop has an event tomorrow

All I wanted was one fatal push, didn't get one tho sadly.

I went 4/2 with green white energy/+1/+1 counter fliers.

Was pretty fun.

I didn't open any OP rares/mythics, so I went for what I considered an ultra jank Jeskai Improvise deck, with the red/blue 5X improvise guys and the 7 colorless improvise fatty.

Turns out that the big Improvise guys I had did all the job, and I went 5-0. Imo the pseudo-manaleak and all the white removal was maybe the reason I won all these games, dudes don't expect to be manaleaked for 1.

I still opened nothing good, except the 3/4 elephant and a disallow. Otherwise, not a big payoff.

And next to me, guy goes 1-1-3 and opens a Engineered Explosives. I'm fucking mad.

But other than that, I had a great load of fun. Just a bit sad that a guy got salty in front of me that " Tricolor deck worked because of luck huuuur duuuuuur "

I was considering 3 color but really wanted to win so I played it safe.

It didn't work out.

>stadnerard
nobody said ruining magic was easy

1st was W/B
2nd was W/G
3rd & 4th were W/G and W/B
5-8th had B/R, W/R, W/G and W/B

>tfw no LGS
>tfw have to wait until it gets released on MTGO

>tfw no LGS
better than having shit one like me
go 3 wins 1 lose, don't get jack shit.
thanks for nothing

I like MTGO better anyways, aside from the lag I don't have to drive and deal with "that one guy" if you know what I mean.

I always use play points anyway, modern burn is a great thing to farm points with

>"that one guy" if you know what I mean.
had one today, i know what you mean.
fucking shop owners' son, he was detested by all the participants. fucking spoiler piece of shit

The fuck kind of stores do you guys play in?

Every store I've been to is minimum one prize booster, 2+ if you go positive

christ how do you not get prize support going 3-1? Do they only reward top 8 for a 30 man flight?

sounds like you got jew'd friend.

>12 players
that's how
24 bosters pool
1st place took 12
2nd 6
3rd 3
and fucking COIN TOSSED other 3 by singles.
What's the point of winning if you lose anyway...
my local shop fucking sucks but where else am i supposed to go...
here's my previous post if you are even remotely interested in how my rounds went
and yes i am sad, salty and feel like i've been cheated

2 of the large set, 4 of the third set. No second set in prerelease.

oh man, your lgs is shit, go somewhere else that fucker deserves to lose his job

You said something about him in the other thread.
Greentext please?

bad at greentexts but ok (faggot is owners' son, and the shop is actually is one of 5 in the city owned by the same people)
>go to shitty local shop
>some people i met during kaladesh
>some new
>bunch of kids
>fuck
>sit down
>start some casual banter with people about cards, fave decks, etc
>faggot arrives
>f: oi bois who wanna buy some cardzzz
>pulls out card album
>tons of fucking expensive shit along with invention cards
>shows that to bunch of kids who probably came here with mommys 10$
>f: hey dudz what are you fucking poor? Inventions are cheap, i got them liek for 100 euro or shit, barely anything
>i ask him if he even knows that's a lot of cash
>f: wew what are you saying dude it's fucking cheapo go away poorfags
adding to that he kept hurrying people all the time during play like they were wasting his time, intimidated and insulted bunch of kids who came to have fun,
>muh fucking casuls
kept gloating over his victories even if he won by sheer luck of last second good pull, kept being smug motherfucker, boasted what tournaments he did go to and how much did he win and generally fucking triggered everybody in the shop.
After prerelease was over he fucking took bunch of prerelease boxes from the shelf for himself and just left, leaving everyone disgusted and with the bad taste in their mouths.

I went to 2, one in the morning and one in the evening

I lost pretty much everything horribly, including losing to a guy who I actually had to re-teach how to play, since he hadn't touched a card in 14 years and built a 63-card deck

I'm fucking garbage at this game and my best pull was a foil shock. I should stick to EDH

I got a smugglers and heart of kiran and still got btfo twice in a row trying to run Boros

fuck my life

I love living in a place that scales payouts to the number of players; top 11 got paid out at mine, although i'm pretty sure only the top 8 got more than 1 pack. Plus so many people dropped that there were only 16 of us by the end.

I somewhat less love living somewhere where packs are 4 dollars plus tax each; a prerelease is actually a slight savings for us.

>only top 8 gets anything on top of their sealed pol and promo rare.
You have a bad LGS.

>and fucking COIN TOSSED other 3 by singles.
Uh, rankings?

>Holy shit man, just asking for show of hands how many people played WG or BG? There were like 6 people at my prerelease who went these colors.

I went full Abzan, because I am a greedy fool. Almost no white, though; I just had Ajani and that was that. Only got screwed on colors once, and oddly it was G that I didn't have until far too late. Not bad for no fixing.

Also, I lost to Crazy Cat Lady. I ain't even mad.

>Uh, rankings?
nope, literally coin tossed.

What has it ever been 2-0-4?

>cluck
I'm glad I re-read that

Very good, what's the store? Better than my LGS.

Went to 2HG with my gf, got two Sram promos. Two more Srams were in the packs. Went 2-2, one deck was Sram-based UW auras+vehicles, the other one was br with lots of removal. Could have won, but Sram deck totally flooded out in the last game, drawing 12 lands and only 7 or 8 other cards.

On one game, someone Mechanically Produced the Scooter on my ass.
The next game i Pain Trained him back. When he conceded, it was 8/8 trample. It's fucking unstoppable.

Dark Sphere, London

That is basically what prerelease is. Buy 6 packs at retail price, get a free random foil and a chance to win several more boosters.

London gets everything good...

Some nice pulls I got including my prize packs were scrap trawler, dark intimations, two hope of ghirapurs, spire of industry, and a spacejam regent. Plus some nice uncommons here and there, interested in building a grixis deck so it was nice to get these.

Also got a masterpiece black vise from my first prize pack.

I preregistered for a prerelease tonight but it started snowing and now I don't want to go.

I'm going anywhere because I can't justify losing the money but I'll be cranky.

>black vise
imo, the most pointless masterpiece in the entire kaladesh. i mean, seriously, did anyone want this thing?

Still fun to open a fancy card when I didn't expect to, and I could always just sell it to at least cover the cost of the event. I'd say its worth, considering

I know. I don't mean it's bad to open one. Just ranting that the slot could've been another good artifact.

I mean did anyone ask for an ornithopter? It fits the plane I guess but still.

Yea you're probably right, but I still dig the art on it. Had I gotten like a lightning greaves, or solemn sim, or anything sick like that I would've pooped my pants right there in the store.

>tfw almost noone had any trains this time

I'm so damn glad, these things are a nightmare.

I was next to the asshole who opened 3 on-color mythics and a Sword of Fire and Ice.

I was filled with glee when he didn't manage to take first place.

user's LGS gives 6 packs.

I think it was used in some deck somewhere.
Also,
>Regardless of the century, plane, or species, developing artificers never fail to invent the ornithopter.

I mean, 7. Plus prizes.

Painters servant combo in limited.

A 1/3 is serviceable and then you have a great legacy card

4-0 last night

Got an additional 12 packs but didn't get anything super cool.

Still pretty happy

Back in the day you got a starter deck of the base set of the block, and then three packs of the expansion. I remember at the Urza's Destiny prerelease, we got a Saga deck and three packs of Dest.

Got these in my draft. Currently 4/0

Sorry about upside down

middle one is pretty good, good luck user

Please tell me you hit the angel somehow with Aetherworks Marvel while your opponent went for lethal

Where is your fatal push, user?

pulled none
none in the pool and none in the bonus 12

I was
VERY
sad boy

I did actually. He used alike 3 burn spells then I pulled her and he rage quit and left all his cards

So far I've two copies of Baral, I wonder if I should finally build that janky wizard tribal deck

This was my deck. Went 3-0-1 at the midnight prerelease. They had double prizes so I walked away with 12 packs. I only played red for the shocks and hungry flames. Otherwise I had to rely on green and artifacts to give me most of my creatures. Didn't think I was going to do as well as I did

Pulled Saheeli Cat at pre release

placed 4th and won 4 packs

feels good to me

Nigger, packs are $7 a pop here and prerelease is $45. Being an Ausfag in a small town is suffering.

None can beat the FLYING ENERGY WHALE.

I still have no idea how the hell I managed to go 4-0 with pic related.

Went 3-1 dues to judge telling everyone you can block, crew, block with vehicle because "Special action that's faster than instant". Only lost the one match because of that. Goodbye, top three. Took 5th/24

Got decently lucky with my pulls, didn't do very well at my prerelease. Opened Tezzy, foil Rishkar, paradox engine and that shitty red mythic.

What shitty red mythic?

Too lazy to snap a pic but my deck was:

>Land
9 Swamp
8 Mountain

>Creatures
1 Augmenting Automaton
1 Dhund Operative
1 Kari Zhev
1 Ravenous Intruder
1 Defiant Salvager
1 Embral Gear-Smasher
1 Vengeful Rebel
1 Ovalchase Daredevil
1 Quicksmith Rebel
1 Treasure Keeper
1 Ambitious Aetherborn
1 Freejam Regent

>Other shit
1 Implement of Combustion
1 Fatal Push
2 Shock
1 Subtle Strike
1 Implement of Malice
1 Servo Schematic
1 Sky Skiff
1 Renegade Freighter
1 Midnight Oil
1 Daring Demolition

Went 4-0-1, unintentional draw in the last round. The deck was sweet, kari zhev is really strong. Implement of combustion may have been a bit loose, but I wanted a couple more artifacts and it was a janky was to trigger revolt. Daring demolition is also definitely premium removal, the fact that it can also hit vehicles is huge and four mana is a huge upgrade from five.

went to two events today. one at midnight and one at noon. Managed to top 8 both events. first I went r/b aggro. opening a black expertise and getting a second one as my promo. opening three shocks also made a huge difference in my ability to remove anything opponents could put in my way.

second event i placed 8th, going 3/2. played w/g. it was okay, but there were just better decks in the room. I felt like my pool was good, but not great, was happy to just hit top 8 and get an extra 8 packs on top of the 20 AeR packs i had already opened.

friend that went with me placed first and won an entire AeR box. Opened it and it was garbage. best value was a foil mimic.

>Got some okay pulls for my EDH decks but nothing tremendous
>Pool was pretty scattered and nothing really stood out as a bomb
>Won my first game
>Lost every other one to people with some really sick pools

Feels bad man. I was planning on going to another tomorrow but I don't really feel like it. Everything I want in the set together is less than the cost of a pre-release pack and I just am trying to win packs for the farfetched hope of an invention.

goes in Nekusar EDH

>Packed odds and ends of all mechanics
>Built UR deck
>Lost to player who pulled all the removal, including 2 copies of Yahenni's Expertise
>Scrap deck
>Make new GW deck
>Win last two matches with heart of the cards
>Pull meh cards overall

Unsure of best pull. I would guess Oath of Ajani. Friend I went with pulled a foil promo Tezzeret and traded it for other cards he wanted while the value was high

Indomitable Creativity