/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Maratha Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6aottpt8ipnzajy/Osprey - MAA 263 - Mughul India 1504-1761.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uw529mhs1hug3ab/Osprey - NVA 150 - War Elephants.pdf
mediafire.com/file/jsulfe3ww8fph5z/In Her Majesty's Name.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=VlY8WBZ9fNw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

14th January in military history:

378 – General Siyaj K'ak' conquers Tikal, enlarging the domain of King Spearthrower Owl of Teotihuacán.
1539 – Spain annexes Cuba.
1761 – The Third Battle of Panipat is fought in India between the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marathas.
1784 – American Revolutionary War: Ratification Day, United States - Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris with Great Britain.
1814 – Treaty of Kiel: Frederick VI of Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden in return for Pomerania.
1822 – Greek War of Independence: Acrocorinth is captured by Theodoros Kolokotronis and Demetrios Ypsilantis.
1858 – Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
1943 – World War II: Japan begins Operation Ke, the successful operation to evacuate its forces from Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
1943 – World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill begin the Casablanca Conference to discuss strategy and study the next phase of the war.
1950 – The first prototype of the MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
1969 – An accidental explosion aboard the USS Enterprise near Hawaii kills 27 people.
2011 – Former president of Tunisia, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali flees his country to Saudi Arabia after a series of street demonstrations against his regime and corrupt policies, asking for freedom, rights and democracy, considered as the anniversary of the Tunisian Revolution.

It is 256 years since the Third Battle of Panipat, fought about 60 miles (97 km) north of Delhi between a force of the Maratha Empire and the forces of the King of Afghanistan, Shah Abdali, supported by two Indian Muslim allies—the Rohilla Afghans of the Doab and the Nawab of Awadh. The battle pitted the French origin artillery and cavalry of the Marathas against the heavy cavalry and mounted artillery of the Afghans and Rohillas. The battle is considered one of the largest fought in the 18th century, and has perhaps the largest number of fatalities in a single day reported in a classic formation battle between two armies.

The once-great Mughal empire had been in phase of decline for decades while Maratha power was on the ascendancy. When Persian ruler Nadir Shah easily invaded India in 1739 any remaining illusion of the continued domination of Mughal power was shattered, and India entered a period of great instability. Some states that were formerly part of the Mughal empire declared their independence. Others continued to pay lip service to the seat of imperial power while following policies that were increasingly independent. Among those rebelling against the empire the Marathas, who had even challenged Mughal emperor Aurangzeb’s authority, captured a large swathe of territory in central and north India.

Meanwhile the Afghan ruler Ahmad Shah Abdali was making frequent inroads into Punjab. Abdali decided to strike back and check Maratha power. In 1759 Abdali and his allies reached upto Lahore and Delhi. Seeing the Afghan advance, the Maratha chieftain Sadashivrao Bhau headed north towards Delhi with an army of 100,000 men that was strengthened by other Maratha forces on the way.

There were several tactical manoeuvres from both sides but eventually the Marathas were encircled and their supply lines disrupted. Smaller battles continued through the months and forces from both sides amassed for the final assault. But the food was running out for the Marathas.

The Maratha lines began a little to the north of Kala Amb. They had thus blocked the northward path of Abdali's troops and at the same time were blocked from heading south—in the direction of Delhi, where they could get badly needed supplies—by those same troops. The Maratha line was to be formed up some 12 km across, with the artillery in front, protected by infantry, pikemen, musketeers and bowmen. The cavalry was instructed to wait behind the artillery and bayonet-wielding musketeers, ready to be thrown in when control of the battlefield had been fully established. Behind this line was another ring of 30,000 young Maratha soldiers who were not battle-tested, and then the roughly 30,000 civilians entrained. Many were middle-class men, women and children on their pilgrimage to Hindu holy places and shrines. Behind the civilians was yet another protective infantry line, of young, inexperienced soldiers.

On the other side the Afghans formed a somewhat similar line. Their left centre was led by two Viziers with 3,000 soldiers and 50–60 cannons and Ahmad Shah's Vizier with a choice body of 19,000 mailed Afghan horsemen.[19] The right centre consisted of 15,000 Rohilla Pathans. The left wing had 5,000 cavalry, the right 3,000. Long-range musketeers were also present during the battle.

Before dawn on 14 January 1761, the Maratha troops broke their fast with the last remaining grain in camp and prepared for combat, coming from their lines with turbans disheveled and turmeric-smeared faces. They emerged from the trenches, pushing the artillery into position on their prearranged lines, some 2 km from the Afghans. Seeing that the battle was on, Ahmad Shah positioned his 60 smooth-bore cannon and opened fire. However, because of the short range of the Afghan weapons and the static nature of the Maratha artillery, the Afghan cannons proved ineffectual.

The initial attack was led by the Maratha left flank, who in their eagerness to prove theiir worth advanced in formation against the Rohillas. The first salvos from the Maratha artillery went over the Afghans' heads and did very little damage. Nevertheless, the first Afghan attack was broken by Maratha bowmen and pikemen, along with a unit of the famed Gardi musketeers stationed close to the artillery positions. The second and subsequent salvos were fired at point-blank range into the Afghan ranks. The resulting carnage sent the Rohillas reeling back to their lines, leaving the battlefield in the hands of the Marathas for the next three hours, during which the 8,000 Gardi musketeers killed about 12,000 Rohillas.

In the second phase, Bhau himself led the charge against the left-of-center Afghan forces, under the Afghan Vizier Shah Wali Khan. The sheer force of the attack nearly broke the Afghan lines, and soldiers started to desert their positions in the confusion. Desperately trying to rally his forces, Shah Wali appealed to Shuja ud Daulah for assistance. However, the Nawab did not break from his position, effectively splitting the Afghan force's center. Despite Bhau's success, the overenthusiasm of the charge and a phenomenon called "Dakshinayan" on that fateful day, the attack itself failed because the sunlight shone directly into the eyes of the attackers' horses, many of them half-starved Maratha mounts who were exhausted long before they had traveled the two kilometers to the Afghan lines; some simply collapsed.

In the final phase the Marathas attacked Najib. Najib successfully fought a defensive action, however, keeping their forces at bay. By noon it looked as though Bhau would clinch victory for the Marathas once again. The Afghan left flank still held its own, but the centre was cut in two and the right was almost destroyed.

The Maratha cavalry was unable to withstand the muskets and camel-mounted swivel cannons of the Afghans. They could be fired without the rider having to dismount and were especially effective against fast-moving cavalry. He therefore sent 500 of his own bodyguards with orders to raise all able-bodied men out of camp and send them to the front. He sent 1,500 more to any those front-line troops who attempted to flee the battle and kill without mercy any soldier who would not return to the fight. These extra troops, along with 4,000 of his reserve troops, went to support the broken ranks of the Rohillas on the right. The remainder of the reserve, 10,000 strong, were sent to the aid of Shah Wali, still labouring unequally against the Bhao in the centre of the field. These mailed warriors were to charge with the Vizir in close order and at full gallop. Whenever they charged the enemy in front, the chief of the staff and Najib were directed to fall upon either flank.

With their own men in the firing line, the Maratha artillery could not respond. Some 7,000 Maratha cavalry and infantry were killed before the hand-to-hand fighting began at around 14:00. By 16:00 the tired Maratha infantry began to succumb to the onslaught of attacks from fresh Afghan reserves, protected by armoured leather jackets.

Bhau, seeing his forward lines dwindling and civilians behind, had not kept any reserves, and upon seeing Vishwasrao disappear in the midst of the fighting, he felt he had no choice but to come down from his elephant and lead the battle. Taking advantage of this, some Afghan soldiers who had been captured by the Marathas earlier during the siege of Kunjpura revolted. The slaves deliberately spread rumours about the defeat of the Marathas. This brought confusion and great consternation to loyal Maratha soldiers, who thought that the enemy had attacked from their rear. Some Maratha troops, seeing that their general had disappeared, panicked and began to flee.

Bhau and his loyal bodyguards fought to the end, the Maratha leader having three horses shot out from under him. At this stage Holkar, realising the battle was lost, broke from the Maratha left flank and retreated. The Maratha army was routed and fled under the devastating attack. While 15,000 soldiers managed to reach Gwalior, the rest of the Maratha forces were either killed or captured.

Casualities are estimated at between 30-40,000 on each side. The bodies of Vishwasrao and Bhau were recovered by the Marathas and were cremated according to Hindu custom.

The Afghans wild through the streets of Panipat, killing tens of thousands of civilians. The women and children seeking refuge in streets of Panipat were hounded back in Afghan camps as slaves. Afghan officers who had lost their kin in battle were permitted to carry out massacres of 'infidel' Hindus the next day also, in Panipat and the surrounding area. They arranged victory mounds of severed heads outside their camps. According to the single best eye-witness chronicle- the bakhar by Diwan Kashi Raj, about 40,000 Maratha prisoners were slaughtered.

In his book History of Modern India, the historian Bipan Chandra writes: “The Maratha defeat at Panipat was a disaster for them. They lost the cream of their army and their political prestige suffered a big blow. Most of all, their defeat gave an opportunity to the English East India Company to consolidate its power in Bengal and south India. Nor did the Afghans benefit from their victory . . . In fact, the [battle] did not decide who was to rule India but rather who was not. The way was, therefore, cleared for the rise of the British power in India.”

mediafire.com/download/6aottpt8ipnzajy/Osprey - MAA 263 - Mughul India 1504-1761.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uw529mhs1hug3ab/Osprey - NVA 150 - War Elephants.pdf

The community project this month, is a mini or unit based on something from military fiction.

What ya reading /hwg/?

I finished Forczyk's book on Sealion which got uploaded recently. It was a quality read, he gets stuck into a lot of the lazy preconceptions that always hung over simulations of the invasion. He specifically mentions that he's not trying to rewrite an already counterfactual history but he does a great job of questioning the received wisdom wargamers have always had about Sealion.

I also checked out Fighting Sail and it seems cool on first impressions. It's all about the qualities of your captain and officers which adds a certain RPG element (a bit like what I've seen of Men Who Would Be Kings). I really like the fact you can field a Barbary force; I think this is only Age of Sail game other than FGU's old Hearts of Oak that has this.

Can I still reply if it's a halo novel. Oh wait I already did.

Tigers in the mud is up next after this trilogy.

Anybody know good suppliers of modern combat vehicles in 1/72 or 20mm? My favorite modern infantry supplier makes their stuff in 20mm but I don't know who makes vehicles that'd look good alongside them.

Trumpeter, Dragon, Zvezda, Revell, Italeri, ICM, ACE, S-Model, tons of plastics around. For metal/resin Grubby Tanks/Britannia, S and S, Elhiem, Sgts Mess, prolly a couple others as well.

Black tree miniatures. Unfortunately they mix rifles and SMGs. But since all of my other units are pure rifle or SMG they can be elite and be allowed to mix.

Hans Roth diaries for some light reading. Otherwise 'Northmen, the viking saga' which I feel is very slow.

What vehicles are you looking for specifically?

Have you checked Scalemates.com already? Its a huge kit database where you could just search for "Leopard 2 1/72" and it would list you any kit from any manufacturer.
Then you can check reviews for each to compare price/quality etc.

Alexander I Tsar of War and Peace.
Would recommend

I'm building myself a small defence of Berlin force. I've gotten myself a mix of Fallschimjaegers, blitzkrieg germans and late war soldiers. I do this because I know that sometimes the soldiers were given what uniforms were available.
My question is if you feel I should be able to sprinkle in some Waffen SS. Were normal soldiers ever given Waffen SS uniforms if none other were available? Is it unfeasible?

It's all about the lapels really. Wehrmacht had their Litzen (that distinctive double braid) while the W-SS of course had their famous patches. Same uniform (essentially) but significantly different insignia. The FJ are out (Luftwaffe insignia and helmets were very separate) and the Blitzkrieg-era guys would have clear Litzen. But if those Late War Soldiers have no obvious lapels you can call them SS, especially if it's some ad hoc/scratch unit that didn't even get insignia to wear. Certainly nobody from one branch would be issued the uniform of another; even Luftwaffe aircrew and Kriegsmarine sailors went into battle wearing their own uniforms.

Buy some separate Late War SS and paint them up as the SS-Charlemagne or something instead.

>Were normal soldiers ever given Waffen SS uniforms if none other were available?

Certainly happened. (and probably way more common than regular soldiers with Fallschirmjäger-gear which also happened, there even is a famous pic of a dead non-Fallschirmjäger in Berlin with an FG-42)

But why is this a concern? You can just paint one squad or just some soldiers with SS camo and play them with rules for whatever you like. Don't feel restricted by Warlord Games rules for certain units. Some SS were not veterans, some Osttruppen were not inexperienced shrinkers and some Volksgrenadiers actually performed better than elite SS units.

That being said, its certainly possible to mix in SS men within regular squads in a scenario like Berlin where the Kampfgruppentaktik was the rule and not the exception.

Does anyone have any info on what sort of armour various militaries were using circa 1995? Would Level III plates be around, or would it still be mostly aramid vests?

>various militaries

I'd say none at all for 95% of the militaries.

>there even is a famous pic of a dead non-Fallschirmjäger in Berlin with an FG-42
This is what I intend to do, just mix as much as I can. Not only uniforms within a unit but also wrong era weapons with wrong era uniforms and helmets.
I'm mostly wondering because my FLGS are full of grognards who get pissed about historical inaccuracy and I don't want to be THAT GUY.

although I did make a matrix german jumping through the air firing two pistols which will be my liutenant assistant. Sorry

>I'm mostly wondering because my FLGS are full of grognards who get pissed about historical inaccuracy and I don't want to be THAT GUY.
Have you considered doing research then?

I remember reading a book about the fighting in Berlin a while ago where one of the former soldiers described how his squad reported in for Ammo-resupply only to find out that the staff at the supply "warehouse" had gone already. So they just grabbed what they could find (and what was left) and they ended up with 5 lmgs in their squad.

Also don't forget to mix in russian smgs.

You know you gotta give us a pic of that assistant, right?

Minmaxing faggots.

Fair enough. I suppose what I really was asking was about the primary NATO countries and the Russian Federation, as I know for a fact that they did have armour.

>What ya reading /hwg/?
The Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors
Jesus but I reckon they're close on the only time that an entire ship and crew deserve the VC/MoC. A man would be lucky to be a hundredth as hard as those fellows

I've read the Berlin book from Beevor but can't remember much about this kind of thing. And I've got too much to read atm and this is more of a fun small thing for me.

I have a shitty cam and my phone can't resize so it's probably gonna be an aussie. Here you go

God maybe it's late night me being dumb but I really wanna do a soviet list with a commisar, Artillery observer, and a shit load of shirking shraftbat squads for BA.

That sound dumb?

There's a guy who won a tournament with shittons of Japanese bamboo fighters, so Iunno, could work.

I'm building my soviets currently.
I will have 7 squads of twelve soldiers, a heavy howitzer, a heavy mortar and an artillery observer.
3 squads of 7 done as we speak. Gonna finish the fourth tonight when I have time.
No commisar though, are they potentially good?

Ehh it comes down to luck on whether or not you pass order tests. Inexperienced squads though allow that too happen easily and the commisar let's you reroll that but you lose a model and he has to be near the squad in like 6" range I believe.

So... I mean are soldiers live worth a reroll? And clustering them up (unless you bring multiple commisars)?

I've been reading On Seas Contested. Enjoyed most of the book so far, but I've been slogging through the IJN section for some reason, and I expect the US and USSR sections will be the same. I recently finished another book in the Destroyermen series which sort of straddles the line between /HWG/ and /AWG/. Up next is Struggle for the Middle Sea, a detailed look at the Med during WWII, and In The Hands of Fate, a book about Patrol Wing Ten (PBY Catalina group) during the early days of the Pacific.

That's on my list to accquire. I suspect it will make me even happier that my grandfather that served in the USN was onboard a tanker in the last year or so of the Pacific when it was a lot safer for auxilliary ships. Turns out friendly ships were way more dangerous at the time.

Commisar also gives you another order dice for almost no cost.

How are the Japs in BA? Competitive, shit, "play them only if you are crazy the other guy is going to take a Tiger II"?

Ouch. I read that recently. It's a good book.

Currently reading: nothing because I can't sodding find my copy of The Military Experience in the Age of Reason.

Everything is ready for tomorrows Ostfront game - the largest ever played (to my knowledge)

1500 points, mid war, battle of Kursk. An average ostfront game is about 250 points so its 6 times larger...

Pic includes the soviet list, I dont have the Wehrmacht list, but I know it includes 52 tanks/SPGs. Armored cars and halftracks not included.
8 Tigers, 7 Panthers, countless Pz. IIIs and IVs, 4 StuGs, just to name a few.

Should be insane. I will be back with photos and possibly even some short videos tomorrow.

Since this is an even battle, the result could go either way. Essentially its the Wehrmacht against the first line of soviet defense, after which they would have to deal with 3 or 4 times more forces. So it is possible for the Wehrmacht to "win" this part of the battle.

I asked this awhile back but I lost my bookmarked link; I'm looking for 28mm scale DAK artillery crew, specifically for a Flak 36. Any suggestions?

Brigade games order just arrived lads...and im disappointed/seriously considering packing it up and demanding my money back.

Some stuff is missing, other is miscast or so bent during transit that I get the feeling they will break in the near future)some stuff was packed in padded jewelry boxes while other stuff was in loose baggies unprotected), flash/mouldlines are prevalent throughout most minis.

Also I tried to modify the order and they pretty much just ignored me completely.

some pics?

Look to the Perry Bros for all things 28mm North African.

Brigade Games (US) or Brigade Models (UK)? I've never had a problem with the latter.

Imam with one ankle that is non-existent/ready to snap.

a sergeant with a spontoon that also looks ready to snap.

also various bent weapons/bayonets im wary to tackle in case I break them and what could be a miscast officers sword(it looks too short)

>middle guy

I thought those heavy fur-lined parkas were only issued for the 3rd battle of Kharkov.

Does anyone know where I could find some free printable Old West style buildings? With my group we're thinking about trying LOTOW, and would like to set up a table cheaply and without too much hassle.

I'll be getting my blood and plunder shit from the KS midweek, does /hwg/ want pictures of the models?

That's the standard M44 winter suit user; full row of buttons, non-reversible. Closer in style to British battledress than the traditional German outfit.

Oh I see they are rather different now after looking it up. Thanks.

Have you checked Papermau? Other than that, maybe Wargame Vault has some pay what you want stuff.

Been reading The Zulus at War in my free time, not super far in so far, but it's pretty good. Has a handy pronounciation guide in the front which helps.

Also, the Pirates of the [blank] game Wizkids made had Barbary Corsairs in it, not sure about any other games. Any that have them as a ground force, like for going on slave gathering raids and fighting the militia, or fighting US Marines for later age stuff?

>Any that have them as a ground force, like for going on slave gathering raids and fighting the militia, or fighting US Marines for later age stuff?
DBR has a 'Maghrebi' list which would work for up to 1700, and it's a pretty cool force. The problem with seaborne armies in the DBx rules though was that you were fucked if there was no coastline/sea terrain generated. For the later wars against the US I suppose you'd use an appropriate Napoleonic set.

Kursk really was a shitshow

Yes! (Sometimes it sucks being a europoor, my stuff won't arrive until mid February, possibly later)

Could I get a recommendation for a low model count Medieval skirmish game? Painting up my retinue for Lion Rampant and would like to play something while I build up the force.

Are there any good books that discuss how and why Europe transitioned into medieval feudalism? Even more granular stuff like how knights came to be.

YES. Thanks for that, I totally forgot about Perry.

eeeh, the subject is enormous, and most of it is a matter of ferocious debate (the "feudal" model is considered kind outdated and applicable to a very limited part of Europe, if it EVER worked at all and wasn't Carolingian legal gibberish). The usual starting point for discussing it is Bloch, The Feudal Society, but consider that medieval historians have been working to dismantle that model for decades.

Bloch is awesome, though. Great writer.

>The battle pitted the French origin artillery and cavalry of the Marathas against the heavy cavalry and mounted artillery of the Afghans and Rohillas.

Can you explain what do they mean by french origin cavalry? Did the marathis field french riders? I can get the artillery, but how better was european cavalry at the time that indians needed to field foreign horsemen despite having an old and good cavalry tradition?

Chevauchee is supposed to be pretty good.

I believe it should be read more as the french origin artillery, and the cavalry of the Marathas

Makes more sense I guess, but the sentence was a bit misleading.

Awesome, I love me some pillaging.

On a related note, any games that work for boarding actions? I think I saw one at Gencon '16, but I didn't get a chance to try it.

Well what do you recommend? I just want an article or short book on the hows and whys.

By feudalism I mean what a casual person would call it.

For sure, but that's the downside of Wikipedia being written by anyone.

I'd just send it back and demand a refund.

Alright bitches, you need to pick up Kaeuper's Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe.

At heart feudalism was about letting the peasants be peasanty, the priests be faggoty, and the bitches be bitches. Because that left you free to steal land, joust dudes and retake Jerusalem. Generally live in critical failure mode and have your entire CK2 save file based on your reputation and ability to raise armies.

Eventually it works out better to pay specialised peasants to specialise in murdering knights, and to earn money to pay then by trading, but as user said the feudal system never happened anyway.

Reading a lot about campaigns, something that seems lacking from tabletop games is the importance of choosing the site of battle. Most games I've seen have a fairly bland system of laying out terrain with both players getting to pick a piece and place it.

What's some good systems for working out terrain, especially for uneven battles, that is a bit more interesting and involved than that?

And what's some good ways to set up a table with terrain that will really have meaningful impact on the battle, and not just leading to everyone getting a cover bonus of some kind or fuck up the spacing like having a river effectively carve off a chunk of tablespace?

There is a Napoleonic game that has a campaign grid each space representing a particular table layout and the two players maneuver and close with each other trying to meet in their ideal field of battle. It was pretty unique as far as I know.

Blucher was the game's name.

Blucher has a system, Scharnhorst, for generating terrain and uneven encounters.

I think you are right about rivers though. It's rare to have one impact positively on a battlefield for a game in my opinion.

If it didnt exist then what was all the stuff about kings, dukes, barons, counts, knights, etc?

>Alright bitches, you need to pick up Kaeuper's Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe.
You got a pdf of that?

Masanori Ito's The End of the Imperial Japanese Navy. It's an interesting read, especially the rare moments where he mentions his experiences during the war. It's got a bit of the "Navy dindu nuffin it was the Army's fault", but he recognizes that the anti-war faction didn't really stand a chance.

Do we have this in the folders? I checked but couldn't find it in the obvious places.
Could you perhaps describe it in more detail anyway?

Nope, here's the best .pdf I have of medieval violence.

Should be in the Napoleonic folders

LAV-75

Hold still one sec.

Old West seems to be primarily played by Europeans (at least from what I can tell) who might be less famailiar with US history. May I suggest you consider playing old West somewhere besides the Mojave desert? Montana, Idaho and Alaska all offer lots of interesting events and some of the same people (Wyatt Earp prospected for gold in the Coeur d'Alene district of Idaho for example) plus other characters like Soapy Smith.

There's also Bleeding Kansas and the whole Bushwhacking thing going on in the Civil War.

I think it'd be fun as hell to play a Hell on Wheels style campaign, fending off Indian attacks and labor disturbances, and plotting out routes.

Just noticed it's the 153rd anniversary of hanging that guy on the tombstone. Spooky.

I've been in the building on the left

While not strictly in our purview, this has been long-sought-after around here and will be of interest to Victorian/pulp wargamers

In Her Majesty's Name

It is 1895 and the world is in turmoil. The Great Powers compete for resources and the latest technology, and an undeclared and secret war rages between them all. This is battleground of the Adventuring Companies. These clandestine agents of the Great Powers operate in the shadows, matching skills and wits in pursuit of the newest scientific formulae or powerful occult artifacts. In Her Majesty's Name sets these adventuring companies against each other in one-off encounters and in longer narrative campaigns. Companies are usually comprised of just 4-15 figures and two players could easily play three games in an evening, making an on-going campaign a highly viable option. In Her Majesty's Name has been designed to allow maximum versatility for the player - if you can imagine it, the system will help you build it. There is, however, a wealth of material provided in the book, covering weird science, mystical powers, and a range of pre-generated adventuring companies, including the British Explorers' Club, the Prussian Society of Thule, the US Marine Corps, the Légion Étrangère, the revolutionaries of the Brick Lane Commune, ancient Egyptian cults, and the mysterious Black Dragon Tong.

mediafire.com/file/jsulfe3ww8fph5z/In Her Majesty's Name.pdf

>Just noticed it's the 153rd anniversary of hanging that guy on the tombstone. Spooky.

There was indeed quite a reckonin' that day

>Hayes Lyons (18??-1864) - A telegraph man in Virginia City, Montana, Lyons was thought to have been a member of Henry Plummer's gang of Innocents. His family lived at Hook's Station, Nebraska, so that was probably where he came from before making his way to Alder Gulch. In June, 1863, Lyons, as well as Buck Stinson and Charley Forbes were arrested for killing an honest deputy sheriff by the name of Don H. Dillingham. The three were ordered to be bound in logging chains to prevent their escape while they awaited trial. They were later tried by a "miner's court," but were soon freed. He was then banished from the city, but the following year was tracked down by the Montana Vigilantes and hanged on January 14, 1864 along with Boone Helm, Frank Parish, "Clubfoot George” Lane and Jack Gallagher.

Ratel

I always loved how sci-fi that thing looked.

Here's some video walk-arounds of the Kursk battle:
youtube.com/watch?v=VlY8WBZ9fNw

It was pretty overwhelming, but we made it to turn 6 and then decided to call it a day. Each of the 3 tables were divided into 4 strips for objectives, and whoever controlled the most at the end of the game was deemed the winner. Pretty solid German victory, even though their center totally crumbled, their flanks did solid work. Unfortunately they would have to fight their way through the same amount of soviet forces 4 times over to actually capture Kursk...

Next time we'll do a battle 1/6th of the size - 250 point Shanghai - 2nd Sino-Japanese War. Should be a total change of scenery. Mostly infantry in an urban setting!

Anyone have the ASL Rules in HTML (or chm, or any editable format - no pdf)?

I would have read a write up, but as has been mentioned in this thread before a video isn't really the right medium for a wargame battlereport. I didn't watch it all because you pointed a very shaky camera at a big battlefield and then basically just listed all the vehicles on screen, no mention on mechanics, no mention of strategy.

Also, on a table that huge for it to look like you just grabbed every vehicle you could and then put them down in a perfectly straight line REALLY doesn't sell your rules/scenario to me.

It really isn't the right medium, but occasionally, it's cool and charming as hell. thanks ostfrontkurskanon.

I mean, it doesn't look like a good battle, honestly - line up the toys and ram them into each other, eh - but you probably had more fun than it looks like.

Yeah it was definitely not the best battle, hardly any maneuvering, just a brick wall smashing its head against another brick wall.
Those minefields really hampered the Germans movement, and the Russians were determined to keep most of their tanks in their entrenched positions - which means not moving! Much more static than an average ostfront game.

I took some photos, but at that size it was difficult to completely capture the situation in one photo.

And yes that was every Soviet and German miniature we have, minus a load of unpainted infantry. Had to be done once I guess, just to say we've done it!
Definitely be a relief to get back to normal sized games with some maneuver.

What user means with: It didnt exist was that the system was different everywhere and everytime. There was no system it was a huge web of individuals deals and oaths diifferent for every set of individuals. Youhad dukes more powerfull then kings, knights more powerfull then dukes.

Should have really checked my spelling here, oh well.

Has anyone got any experience with Smooth & Rifled? Thinking about buying but I want your guys thoughts first.

I've started painting my Vixtrix Successor Phalangites and I hope to upload images next week. I've never seen any painted examples anywhere so I might be the first then. The minis themselves are excellent.