I know there is a general for Warhammer 40k Kill Team, but I'm more interested in how to get started...

I know there is a general for Warhammer 40k Kill Team, but I'm more interested in how to get started. There is a shop nearby that holds a WH40k Kill Team tourney and am considering KT since it seems to a cheaper, quicker and more accessible game in the WH universe. How do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6CsJatgd7lk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're going to need a regular codex to see what units you have available for KT, and a rulebook to learn the rules.

First, tell me what army you're interested in, user? I can help you out from there.

In other words, is it as easy as just buying the set for a tourney?

Tyranids look interesting. I'm pretty new to the WH universe, besides seeing the space marine.

Tyranids, huh? I'll admit that they are a lower powered army, but from what I've heard is that they can do pretty well in KT, since a lot of the cheese and other things that bring them down isn't available/doesn't harm them as much.

While I'm afraid to admit I don't know too much about Tyranids, I do know for certain that they can take most of their troop choices in KT, like Warriors, and Termagaunts, for example.

One thing to watch out for is that you'll need Synapse Creatures for your Tyranids, so from what I know, is that you'll need at least a couple Warriors to lead your Kill Team force, or something else with Synapse.

Before doing anything, I suggest watching Duncan of Warhammer TV's painting guides on Tyranids, as well as going to the 40k general to download the rulebook and codex, and the Kill Team or 40k general to ask more ablut Tyranids. I play Khorne Daemonkin, so what I know is mostly about Chaos, sorry.

For some cheap-ish painting practice, there's GW's snapfit Termagaunts box, which is 5 gaunts for $10.

I'll look into the painting. How many should be in an army for a game?

The box contains simplified rules for the tac squad and firewarriors, and doesn't include rules for the special weapons, iirc. However, it does contain a smaller version of the rulebook and the kill team rules.

Are there any other armies you're interested, also? Just wondering.

I really like the art style of the orks.

I'm like OP. I'm interested in Kill Team and wanna get my foot in the door. Only problem: I want to play Sisters of Battle.

I have 2 squads of Sisters from when I was gonna try playing years ago, a Celestine, and a Canoness.

What else would I be looking at to get 'started' if anything?

I'm not sure since I don't know much about Tyranids, but a Warrior squad's minimum size is three, iirc. You need them or a Synapse unit, as most Tyranids have a special rule that causes them to do bad things when not near a Synapse creature.

Really, I say just download the KT rules, BRB, and Tyranids codex from the 40k general's mega link, ask question and learn the rules, then try and build up a force slowly.

I'm happy to help in any way I can, however!

Oh, and GW's how to paint guides are really good and helpful! Just don't expect it to look like Duncan's after your first try.

I'm going to be brutally honest right now. Orkz are the worst army in the game, and Tyranids are the second worst army, though previously third worst, CSM got a boost from Traitor Legions and other supplements, iirc. In casual settings they can do fine, but in competetive they're not going to do well. Don't let this discourage you, however! And in Kill Teams, they both do a lot better than usual due to the small amounts of points.

>Sisters of Battle
Have you tried putting them in a sock? Metal in a sock works wonders for hurting things.

All jokes aside, two Sisters squads should be fine for Kill Team! I don't know their points costs, however. So long as it's 200 points or less, you'll be fine. Also, Dedicated Transports and other Vehicles are allowed in Kill Team so long as their Armor Value is 33 points or less, allowing Rhino chassis vehicles and Chimeras and such.

>In competitive they're not going to do well
Outside of a couple spammy monobuilds, I mean. But again, in casual settings they can do fine.

what would you say are the top tier armies to play?

Eldar, Tau, and Space Marines with Grav spam and/or Formations.

I like the way you think.

It's been so long since I've looked into the Sisters. They got a new Codex in White Dwarf or whatever right so I'd have to find that?

Nope! Their codex is now in the Imperial Agents codex, so fortunately you can have a book that has a lot of other stuff in it. Celestine has a new datasheet and is not in the codex, but in the Fall of Cadia supplement. Spoilers, Cadia is kill.

God damn I'm so out of the loop now. Assault on Black Reach? Was when I was like "MAN I'M GONNA PLAY THIS GAME" and promptly realized I couldn't justify it as a young 20 something when I was playing competitive CCGs and Halo.

Guess i'll go to my LGS and see if I can find that codex and hope they've got some cheap used minis (yes, I have a store that sells used minis and its a god send)

I've been watching youtube.com/watch?v=6CsJatgd7lk and Tau seems pretty interesting.

is it common to sell used minis?

How much can I expect to spend if I intend to go Tau, like in a similar build that is in ?

It's the first and only store I've been to in my state that sells used Minis. I know of a second store way out of town but they pay next to nothing and try selling them at retail. That doesn't sound right to me.

I contradict myself in my own post. RIP me.

Sudoku is the only answer.

Haha! Yeah, good luck, user! I hope you have a good time.

Somewhat, though usually on eBay.

That looks like a 3rd party model plus a box of firewarriors, so $50 for the models, plus a good amount for the necessary paints and equipment, so maybe around $80-$100 total? Dunno about the 3rd part dude though, sorry.

It might seem like a lot, and I'm not going to lie, it is, but the initial investment into the hobby is the most expensive part due to the paints and all that, which don't usually factor into later purchases.

This is exactly what the ktg is for, ya git.