/40kg/ - warhammer 400000 general

1 am edition

>Previous thread
>A shitty little list builder that you all should stop ASKING ABOUT YOU FILTHY BITCHES
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Not always current PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Up to date FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

> The Black Library(Stay the fuck away from the clowns)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

First for the Guard!

The Imperial Guard Stands!

Should I try to give my Nobz their least shitty loadout or should I accept that they are bad and give them whatever looks cool?

This is looking like THE Death Guard list

Second one. Do that for all Orks. Have fun with it, really.

whats out today lads?

>las havocs
>not delicious autocannon havocs using their relentless to sweep units after giving them a pounding

If your entire army is being optimized you can actually win some games with orks and klaw nobs but if you're not really changing the whole army just use this as a good opportunity to model whatever the fuck you want because the army's probably going to lose either way.

AoS Tzeentch stuff, mostly.

I was thinking about autocannons but I was really torn between the two. I decided if I'll be against Eldar I'd take them but otherwise I'd just throw my bikes at the masses and have dependable armor penetration with range, all else being melta.

these and some flash gitz are literally my first ork kits over

and wouldn't an optimized ork army not include nobz at all? might as well have fun with it I guess

>See this
>Look at pic
>Try to understand the reason to continue

shootas require nobs

>axillary, 1-10 per core
>as if someone is going to take 30 dakkajets per core

>and wouldn't an optimized ork army not include nobz at all?

Correct. But an optimized ork army is basically a bunch of bikes, MANZ in Trukks, Buzzgob's Stompa and some grot mobs. Maybe some Mek Gunz.

>might as well have fun with it I guess

This is exactly the correct attitude to have with orks.

>not taking 30 Dakkajets to synergize with WAAAGH every turn

C'mon git

It has a second page of aux units.

Would you give all four autocannons from each squad or would you mix it up a bit with one lascannon and three autocannons per squad?
This does free up a ton of points for more bikes

No Lord of Change yet unfortunately. It appears Lord Tzeentch wishes for his faithful to hope for it next Saturday.

4 autocannons, never, ever mix and match weapons unless you have split fire. You always are losing effectiveness if you do so

>airbrush the single spot with no reflective lighting OSL
>something stupidly heavy mounting a creature that has skinnier limbs.
>riding with no stirrup while having a saddle

fucking disgusting.

Why is the Internet's collective head lodged units own ass about Thousand Sons? Every "tactical" thread I go to is in full denial about how shitty they are. Even here we constantly get shitposters defending them.

so what was it that allows tau to take multiple relics?

Cause anyone who actually plays the game knows they are good. Most people here don't even play

Because they're fun

True most people don't play. They mathhammer and read bat reps and then decide that way.

talking about skinny legs carrying something stupidly heavy how the fuck am i suppose to actively transport this thing without its legs snapping off?

Magnetise them and detach them when you have to carry it.

A friend of mine who plays around with CSM and Demons actually bought a lot of the stuff and we've been playing some games with the new 1k Sons stuff. The verdict we're reaching so far? Expensive core bits that allow you to more effectively spam demons, making the centerpiece ( The Rubricae) somewhat redundant part of the whole thing. Neat to look at though. Also really stupid powers that give a chance to give FnP to enemy units while also allowing access to the same renamed power that doesn't do that is retarded. Not sure who thought that was a good idea.

It's all anecdotal mind you, but it's all I've got to work with that isn't from a website. It is what it is.

Gonna be playing my first ever 40k game as a friends who it will also be his first. He is playing emperors children but I am unsure of what exactly he is bringing. I know tau are much stronger than EC and I want to make sure my list isn't super optimised blow him out of the water type thing, it's really just the models I have

(1498pts)

++ Combined Arms Detachment
+ HQ (110pts) +

Cadre Fireblade (60pts)

Ethereal (50pts)

+ Elites (569pts) +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuits (275pts) [2x MV84 Shielded Missile Drone]
Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (124pts) [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon]
Stealth Shas'vre [Burst Cannon]

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits (170pts)
Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Flamer]

+ Troops (90pts) +

Strike Team (45pts) [5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]

Strike Team (45pts) [5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]

Fast Attack (307pts)

Pathfinder Team (214pts) [2x MV1 Gun Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, 2x Pathfinder]
Pathfinder Shas'ui [Pulse Carbine with Markerlight]
2x Pathfinder with Rail Rifle [2x Rail Rifle]
TY7 Devilfish [2x MV1 Gun Drone]

Pathfinder Team (93pts) [MB3 Recon Drone, 4x Pathfinder]
Pathfinder Shas'ui [Pulse Carbine with Markerlight]

Heavy Support (65pts)

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (65pts)
Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

++ Allied Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (357pts)

Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ (145pts) +
Commander (145pts)
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]

Troops (212pts)
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (212pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual]
Crisis Shas'ui [Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle]X4

i forget magnetizing is a thing sometimes

>Cause anyone who actually plays the game knows they are good.
lol

it was a joke model desu senpai

>Completely inflexible formations
>For arguably the LEAST organized fighting force in the entire game

Im still fucking mad

Nigger, I've been playing TS since 4e. The new rules are shit. They do absolutely fuck all to fix any of the faction/unit issues, the discipline is still as crappy as it was, and all of the new shit is, at the absolute best, underwhelming.

Proposed change to Codex: Orks

Orks armies must always have an HQ choice.
Orks have no other FOC limitations.

Ok, so I've got that DA army I've been learning how to paint on for a while now. The models don't look shit but god they do look inconsistent.
Could you recommend me some tips? I've been thinking about giving the troops some heavy weathering in order to mask the differences between them. I don't want to strip the models but it hurts my eyes.

That wouldn't even be overpowered although
> 1850 points
> 24 ML2 weirdboyz
> all one unit
> all rolling for sanctuary
Yeah actually I could see actual fun from the codex

>1 Warboss
>20 Custom Stompas

Is Start Collecting box + Armoured Assault box a good way to start a small army for ~1000pts games and Kill Team? I'm thinking about Tau or Nids Necrons also look neat and easy to paint but their boxes don't grant a wide wariety of models. Is bundle like this a good way for newbie to jump into one of these factions or is there another - better - way to go about this?

Also what about next edition? I mean, is there a risk that if I buy something now, it could be useable only as dust-collector on shelf in next six months?

Why would you put 4 heavy weapons in a vehicle only two can shoot out of?

I think Armorbane should affect individual units/characters with armor and not just vehicles, or the name of the mechanic should change. It doesn't make much sense to have 'armor' not effected by 'armorbane' (aka Anti-armor)

Isn't the custom stompa unique as you buy it with buzzgob or whatever his name is?

the tau one is rathre good for jumping into starting a tau army i dont know about the nids one. There is a risk of buying useless models but i dont think its a high risk as tau have been strong in most editions.

Most armorbane weapons are already high ap.

Looks really good and I'm pretty sure you get what's in the box at a very nice discount.

I don't think Tau and their infantry are going out of style any time soon even if 8th does change the game radically.

Tau don't have useful and useless models.

They gave good and stupidly good models, min-maxing is why you never see the simply good models.

Nope, that's just a standard Big Mek Stompa. The Kustom Stompa is from the same book, but is basically a "build your own Stompa".

It's exactly what the rules for the Stompa SHOULD be.

Codex: Orks was basically written like this. It was the first codex release after 7th came out and it reads just like it was intended to be played as Unbound, especially with the bloated HQ and HS sections.

But then as 7th continued GW realized that no-one played Unbound but it was too late for Orks by then.

Does anyone else play in such a way that you know it's not ideal, it's not meta. But it's fun because it's fluffy? Even if you lose? I do do that with my 'nids.

>Most

>his army cannot hold the line
>his men wont die standing
>he wont sacrifice himslef for the Imperium with His name on his lips
Why even bother?

I can't actually think of any, but if I said all someone would undoubtedly correct me.

>doesn't recognize a meme

Nothing wrong with the models you got but I doubt you'll get to 1000 points without putting on useless wargear.

What would you add to Tau and Nids to complete them? I don't want a WAAC tournament list - just something casual and easy to run but also not entirely unusable

A Commander is always good to have.

Working on some Blood Angels list building, I have a Fire Raptor, 3 Dreadnoughts (Furioso, Librarian, Death Company), 20 Death Company, 20 Sanguinary Guard,10 Vanguard Veterans (magnetized, counts as Assault Marines), 3 Drop pods and a bunch of unpainted Tacticals.

Any ideas what I should do with them?

Also a GK Librarian 10 GKTs 10 PAGKs and a Dreadknight in my backlog.

what exactly is an air superiority detachment?
Kind of struggling to understand it.
How does it work?
What are its restrictions?

Id pick up some kroot to pad the troop choices and then maybe some more pathfinders if you can squeeze em in also a box of crisis suits wont hurt

And by commander, I mean a tau commander in a crisis suit.

From tau boxes you can get roughly 750p army with some upgrade bloat and/or by converting one of the suits to a commander (different paint scheme/extra antennas etc.) So to fill 250p you'd have to take one or two heavy hitters. Riptide would be nobrainer option but we should leave that out before /40kg/ chimps out. Hammerhead/skyray is a good choice, more crisis suits or a broadside squad. School of piranhas. Pretty much anything, but I'd suggest some anti-armor.

World Eaters list

Also, is it better to run 2x 20 mam blobs or 4x 10 squads of marines?
I also realise i forgot to mark the termiside squads. Consider an extra havoc dropped

Anyone has an idea how to represent a Rogue Trader on the tabletop? I was thinking guardsmen to act as the crew, some obligatory kroot mercs, maybe a hereticus inquisitor model for the trader himself.

AAs a SW player with many sources of delivering remove from play (Helfrost and JOTWW), I've come to the conclusion that remove from play is a terrible mechanic and should be removed from the game.

What do you think and what should it be replaced with on existing rules that have it?
Just instant death so we can't freeze magnus because eternal warrior?

Since Havocs are now a prerequisite for all CSM armies, I wish they would release new models. They're hard to find on ebay for a decent price and shitcast anyway.

Pretty much whatever you like. Rogue Traders are a very mixed bunch, which is unsurprising given that they operate outside of the regular norms of the Imperium. About the only characteristics you'd need to demonstrate would be wealth and very powerful equipment and/or bodyguards.

Yeah, I guess so. A shame there is no codex that I could use to play though.

It's fine. If your opponent brings something deliberately bad he'll get his shit kicked in, but I would argue that's mostly his own fault. Consider sending him your list if you want to make sure, I doubt he can counter it super well even if he tried.

Orks gots to have a proppa amount o' boyz tho. No boyz no WAAAGH!s.

My codex incourages me to play a fluffy army because it isn't shit.

I'd say the best codex to represent them would be Inquisitors. They're largely similar, and hell, Inquisitors commonly disguise themselves as Rogue Traders (a fact that Amberly Vael in the Cain series laments. She disguises herself as a spoiled rich aristocratic daughter or a cabaret singer).

Everything you want to play can probably be made through Imperial Agents in some form.

So, thinking of doing a Mechanicus army using the combined list you can do with the new Fall of Cadia book, mainly because what has kept me out of 40k for years now has been a hatred of like formations and the like, but I rather like this combined list enough to give it a go again, suggestions and/or tips?

how easy are skitarii to piece together for someone new to model building? is it pretty simple or should I expect to cock it up quite a bit?

Also, how fucking jewy is it that the Start collecting: paint bundles don't actually come with paintbrushes, you have to get those fuckers separate.

AVs should not exist in the first place. Having a intricate damage system for vehicles and no such intricate system for MCs is dumb. Making all vehicles into MCs wouldn't be a horrible idea if you want to encourage bigger battles and streamline the rules, on the other hand giving MCs a more detailed way of being damaged if you want to make smaller battles more lifelike is also not a bad idea. Removing the strength cap is also not a horrible idea, why have S 8 Armourbane when you can have S 11/12?

are you saying we should helfrost helfrost?

what codex?

I think he's saying we should remove it from play.

Imagine playing MC's with this:

Whenever a Monstrous Creature suffers an unsaved wound, roll on the following chart. Add +1 to the roll if the wound was caused by an AP2 weapon, or +2 to the roll if the wound was caused by an AP1 weapon.

1-3: Concussion - A blow to the creature's head or targeting systems leaves it unable to focus. The Monstrous Creature can only fire Snap Shots until the end of its next turn.

4: Stunning Blow - The wound overwhelms the creature momentarily, leaving it temporarily disabled. The Monstrous Creature can only fire Snap Shots until the end of its next turn. In addition, it cannot move until the end of its next turn. If it is a Flying Monstrous Creature, it may not change flight modes in its next movement phase.

5: Arm Shot - One of the creature's arms or weapon mounts is ripped asunder. One of the Monstrous Creature's weapons (randomly chosen) is destroyed. This can include wargear such as teeth and claws. If the creature has no weapons left, treat this result as Crippled instead.

6. Crippled! - The creature's lower limbs or locomotion systems are utterly destroyed. A Crippled Monstrous Creature cannot move. If it is a Flying Monstrous Creature in Swoop mode, it immediately takes a Grounded test that it automatically fails.

7: Mortal strike! - The blow punches through to a vital organ or system. The wound causes Instant Death.

4*10 lets you Assault more squads without losing 2 A/model. 2*20 lets you pile in with models that may not have otherwise been able to reach combat. I'd go for the 4*10.

Which forgeworld flyers can be taken in a flyer wing? Is it any that can be bought as a squadron?
Or is it specifically stated somewhere.
Asking in particular about running remora drones as a flyer wing since they get purchased as a squadron. Could I take them as an air superiority detachment? Trying to run a dawn blade contingent and want them as air support since tau GW flyers are the worst in 40k.

Making remove from play effects into ID is a good idea. One thing that would go well with that is giving eternal warriors FNP so ID still has some effect. Magnus should probably just have the GMC special rule that makes it so removed from play effects causes D3 wounds.

the word targeting system shouldn't be included in something that is considered a monster

It'd make monstrous creatures complete garbage, so mission accomplished I guess.

Cough riptides
Cough wraithknights
>t. Tau player

So I`ve made something that looks legit enough for me. I know that its bad, but it was made to be fluffy, not competetive.

You mean the Grand Convocation?

Because there is next to no reason to take it over just running a Cult Mech detachment next to a Skitarii Maniple. Infact, you lose the bonuses those detachments give you.

Unless you are playing about 4000 points the only buff you are getting is IWND on vehicles, one of which can buy it as an upgrade, another has a 5+ natural cover and the third is never taken.

Oh and PotMS, but that is only useful if you want to embed an Icarus Onager in with Neutron Onagers.

Not so sure about the acolytes. Rogue Traders I'd imagine to have better equipped soldiers. Tempestous Scions would be more in line with what I'd expect; body armour, hellguns, etc. The Ogryns fit well enough though. Is Nord Dedog still a thing? Ogryn bodyguard for the Rogue Trader seems very fitting.

Oh, and don't forget that every Rogue Trader, by definition, has a starship. And aside from the firepower it brings, they have dropships, usually armed. Including a Guard flyer would be entirely keeping in line with the theme.

i cant say how much i hate these things more than it has already been said by everyone else

Techpriests are a seperate faction aren't they?

You can organize your army into an inquisition formation, an AM CAD and an allied detachment with the Tech Priest and the Servitors.

Shall we go on?

As a tau player (the one that replied), there is actually a reasons for tau suits to be monstrous creatures and not walkers. I don't own any monstrous creatures as a tau player as I use a bit of forgeworld flyer cheese for my high impact dakka. Anyway, back to the reason they aren't walkers: drones, all suits can take drones, drones with AV would be retarded as you can't mix toughness and AV in one squad. And drones with AV would make all drones have AV, which would screw with other non creature suits and infantry. As for WK, no excuse there.

What's the best way to build an urban focused guerrilla tactics renegade guard army?
Does the emperors blade assault company + some auxiliaries solve my problems?

A charismatic commissar becomes disillusioned with the imperium and leads a rebellion against the imperium, rallying his loyal followers and whatever armour he can find.

How would you build it user?

That's a problem they made themselves by letting them take drones. A simple solution would be to NOT let them have drones.

Or make some system where drones can be independently targeted out of units.

With the fall of Cadia, who do you how becomes the new face of the guard?

I play Necrons and have never used any formation other than CAD. I mostly play against cheesemongering Tau, and Space Marine players. I haven't won a game in over 3 months...

Hope*

preatorian guard

Pls GW

Higher points cost, but it might actually be somehow threatening on the table top now, because Vendettas are fucking nuts.