WIP: Work in Progress General

Making good progress in the new year Edition
Squaduary Sub-edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e7XPpxvox5U
youtu.be/_odi1c7ErCg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do P3 paints stack up against Citadel and Army Painter? Also, what is dark tone better for and what is strong tone better for?

Hey /wip/, this is my second ever model! What do you think of him?

Making slow progress on my supremacy suit. Thought the size comparison was interesting......

Stupid upside down phone nonsense

Looking pretty good my dude.

that's great, for a second model! keep up the good work user!!

made some progress on the blightkings I got.
still pretty new to the hobby, be gentle!

Thanks mates! Here's my first model for comparison, I can tell that I've definitely improved a lot.

Finally put some base on this with some texture paint and color, then I touched up the face and lighted the hair a bit. The face isn't as smooth as I'd like, but its as good as it's going to get since my apartment is dry as shit.

Definitely improved. Never change that first model. Like the great Duncan, keep it as a reminder of how far you've gone.

Here's my improvement over the years.

P3 paints are great. Great quality, great value and some unique colours.

Dark tone is black and strong tone is dark brown, so it's just for when you want a black wash or dark brown wash obviously.

Where can I get model train parts to build a 40k rail yard with for less than $150/car? O scale is the right scale, but holy shit, does no one sell non-electric?

I am making progress with my Wraithknight.
I am unfortunately somewhat unsure of how I will color the weapons. My wraithguards have blueish/turquoise guns, but I dunno if that color scheme would work well with something this big.

Also, would painting all the black joints etc in the limbs of this thing Brass/Gold look good? The upper torso has gold in it, but in the limbs, I only really have the joints as places where gold would fit.

Man that color scheme is really bizarre looking. Like really alien I guess, which is fitting because its Eldar. certainly grabs the eye.

Thanks man.
It all evolved kinda accidentally.
This was the first Eldar I painted with this scheme.

I love it's bright it's dark, the blue looks amazing. with the purple

>ELDAR-01
Looks bretty gud user

You need more highlights at the edges of plates, again the hue transition won't do all that work for you and they need more value contrast. I know it will take hours, but as this is a centrepiece model you want to be happy with it.

On the guns, I'd try black highlighted into the light blues to keep the consistency. between your models, or keep it neutral with something greyscale.

Brass limbs I think could work. Certainly the forearm shield can take some brass. Your brass is basically doing the job of the orange in the classic EVA scheme.

Got 5 more of these left. May acquire some 3rd party bits for variety's sake.

First vs last miniature. made the pic and noticed I forgot some stuff...

aight, /wip/. I'm just finishing off my monopose spess mehreen captain and i need to ask -
Do you attach the Iron Halo if you're using the helmeted variant?

>I'm just finishing off my monopose spess mehreen captain
There are about a dozen different ones.
Doesn't really matter which one you are working on unless it's a question about being able to paint it.
Do what looks good.
If you got second thoughts about painting him it's better to leave the head off for now. Glueing it in later is always an option. Just mount the head you are painting on a wire and put that into a hand drill or stick it into a winecork for painting.

Keep us updated fellow Tau, havent seen a supremacy suit on here before

awful awful models, nice paintjob though.

Yea. Berzerker mode yiffs hard brief to fuck up but they managed it comfortably.

>just finishing him up now, have the head off to paint it
>trying to get the crest positioning right
>only just notice that it's half of each segment in each colour
J U S T

Leman Russ will come back as a wulven mutant

Mark my words

here, finished my captain. Ish. He's total dogshit, but he's mine. How do I fix him, /Wip/? Apart from the sword blade, which I'm waiting on some runefang steel and guilliman blue for.

Just bought a spray can od Corax White. Anything to look out for when using it to prime big surfaced vehicles that I plan to paint in white as their actual color?

Can I just spray the damn things, add details/highlights and end up with a decent looking model?

The forgeworld skinwolves are better to convert. Here's my wolf lord, still needs lots of work

I would say you should stripe him and start over. If you arent willing to do that you have to fix the mistakes and paint in the lines on the banner, and where the cape hits the armor specially. Give another layer of thinned down white on the ropes and the hair of the helmet.
Thick painting aside you will have a solid basecoat, then you move to washes. Wash the recesses of the armor and weapon with nuln oil, and the gold with sepia o agrax. Finally chose a ligther color and apply edge higlights on armor, gold weapon and every other hard edge.

You should watch the warhammer tv tutorial on ultramarines for a detailed guide.
youtu.be/e7XPpxvox5U

Just finishing up some more firewarriors.

Pretty much done with Tau now apart from some stuff I'll throw in later just to paint.

I really like how the yellow works with orange and the weathering. Good work user.

Anyone got a tutorial or some help with how to magnetize the cockpit joint on an Onager Dunecrawler or a good way to generally fixate it but keep it detachable? Ready to do some greenstuffing, which seems all but necessary.

Damn thing doesn't fit into my carrying case when glued on and taking the cockpit off makes it look much better when destroyed.

>strip him and start over
You hurt me, user.
He looks better in person, but I totally see where you're coming from. Honestly really disappointed in myself for shitting out this abomination. Gehenna's for edge highlights on gold, right?

Also, he's been highlighted. It just doesn't show up due to a combination of dogshit lighting and phone camera. Your feedback really is appreciated, though! Gonna go fix that banner.

Finally finished a test model for the skitarii. I had doubts on the green robes but I think that in the end it turned out ok. Thoughts?

I think it's fine, the green on the visor could probably do with another brighter highlight though.

If the model was a regular marine i would say to leave him as it is, but being a character(and a expensive model) you want him to be a your top level. I dont know about the gold color, just use one which is a grade lighter than your base color.

Try using more washes. It's a bit flat.

youtu.be/_odi1c7ErCg
start here

They look lovely but they might need a stronger highlight on the cloth.

>Thought the size comparison was interesting......

No shit! There are towering fingz in da background! Would you believe the Tau player had *two* of those in 1850 points?!?

Totally getcha, user. I picked up the Space Marine Heroes box to try and challenge myself a bit, but based on this guy I might leave the chaplain and librarian for a while. Gonna pick up a start collecting box and go tac marines -> cap -> dread to try and build up my skills before tackling a character again.

I've cleaned up the lines on his banner a bit more, it looks way better now!

Yes. Yes I would.

Honestly, a good recess wash of nuln oil would make your captain a solid 4/10

I'll pick up some nuln oil tomorrow and hit him with it.
>4/10
t-thanks
that means he's only slightly below average, right?

Runefang silver highlight bronze and gold

Gotcha, senpai.

Don't worry about it user. Practice makes perfect. And after a carefully painted tac squad you should have gotten the basics down. Fuck. I've probably painted over 100 marines up till now and I still occasionally get bothered by how shit I was when I started out and strip my older models.

Well just practice on cheap minis, don't begin with the heroes. Also remember to thin your paints.

that looks awesome, so far

Thanks user, just gotta save up my shekels and pennies for a little while to afford it.
Pic unrelated, the captain with banner fixes alongside one of my build+paint snapfit marines.

My first 10 marines are really bothering me with how much shittier they are than the newest 20, but I only have 30 marines total and they're already based and varnished and I have limited time to expand my army so I feel like I can't afford to waste time stripping them.

I have the same problem but on an army level.

Wash the clock with Seraphim Sephia.
Agrax the crest on the helmet and the rope.

Yessir!

Expand your army first, so you'll always have a fully painted one and if you have spare time come back and redo them in squads of 5. Or just buy more. Your choice

Don't do it then. You can just buy new ones and either sell or shelve the old ones if they bother you.

I started redoing my Dark Angels a while ago and man, it's a deep, deep hole if you go down that path.

That's some top-notch freehanding work, user.

Christ that marine is huge. Or is the Captain model just that small?

Am I the only one who would like tau to have a less humanoid face? dunno like 4 eyes and sharp teeth, maybe a red caparace on their forehead

The new snap-fit marines don't combat crouch. Kinda like the new thousand sons.

Dude, you got worse with time, your first mini is fucking awesome, but the second one is shit.

What do you think of my 1k sons Praetor?

Thanks, mate. To be fair, I somewhat sketched it out with a pencil on the cut-up piece of condiment tube I used for the banner.

Green is good.

I love it. Is that straight out of the Exalted box or are there conversions involved?

The hand with the bolt pistol is converted with a pistol hand from Mk. III marine and forearm and bolt pistol from 1k sons aspiring sorcerer. Otherwise its all exalted sorcerers, that box is crazy cool.

That's one sexy motherfucker. The foot is letting him down a bit, but that's nothing a bit of nuln oil in the recesses won't fix.

4 arms, rending claws and a psychic link to the hive mind too ehy?

ETHERAL, GET IN HERE. YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO SEE THIS.

Ethereal here, checks out. Go about your business, citizen.

Shield was originally red but I didn't like it so going to paint it black with a silver Moon.

Good enough for slaves in a Chaos dwarf army?

Sup /wip/, working on some World Eaters assault marines.
Can't decide how to do the sarge's power axe. Would it look better with blended blue, or dark metal with stark highlights?
General C&C also appreciated.

Great idea and execution. Never seen green-robed skitarii before.

Bloody lovely. Looks suitably ornate. Maybe the script on the scrolls needs some work though?

I admit, I am terrible at free-handing

>Can't decide how to do the sarge's power axe. Would it look better with blended blue, or dark metal with stark highlights?

That's a tough call. Are there any HH art books you could reference? I like the idea of power weapons contrasting with the models' paint schemes, so I always pick blue or green for my Blood Angels. You already have blue going on with your WE shoulder pauldrons. Maybe it's time for ... red?

Looks great imo, I think Duncan did green Skitarii as well on the website.

I still have an unassembled SC Skitarii box laying around and are very much in doubt which scheme I should go with. I like Martian Red, but by default never do the 'studio scheme', any ideas on how to make it more interesting /wip/? I was thinking on doing a kitbash with Genestealer Neophyte hybrids for my vanguard to make it a wee bit more interesting but I'm still on the fence about my final scheme (+basing)

And a pic where the robe is actually visible.

If you are open to sugestions, the alternative scheme i was thinking is bronze armor, black robes, blue energy weapons and lights, and probably desert base.
Looking forward the conversions user.

Made a test base for some kreig I've ordered.

Wanted a wet mud effect. When I do it properly I'll sink the models into it so it looks better.

What do you guys think?

>inb4 chocolate

Its really well made and the rust effect is uber realistic, but i cant support another full mud krieg army so 0/10.

If it's any consolation they're just meat shields for an imperial fist siege army who will also be knee deep in mud.

Quick wip of my burning chariot

But I have more of a question on how to achieve a good coat of yellow

I made 2 coats of very very thin yriel yellow and it just comes out so I dunno what to call it flaky?

New Starter Here, still trying to finish my Dark Vengence starter set. Took me hours on the Dark Lord. Any tips?
p.s. Thanks for all the books and videos, very helpful

Hey guys.

Wanna make rad arco flagellants conversion. Any idea ?

Crypt Ghouls and Bloodletter parts for the torso and limbs, flails from the Flagellants kit and some greenstuff work. Season with DE Wrack parts to taste.

I made dead leaves for my autumn/swamp themed stirland army

The sword could do with a tiny bit more depth but other wise not much feedback to give. The biggest complaint is the lack of contrast but that's not much of a complaint.

Get a bunch of guitar wire, EMpire Flagellants, a pin vice, and some round bases.

Give some flagellants guitar wire whip hands. Boom, done.

Paint your basing material, unpainted basing always stands out next to painted models (in a bad way)

That Tau on the left
>This isn't mud, is it?

Probably just a space Mumbai back-alley

This is a good idea.
I buy premade baggies of similar stuff. The benefit is that there are 3 different scales of leaves, so I have more control.

Step one is to build into your yellow through brown or tan, it will make the yellow richer in the end. As you're going on over white, you could just start with Averland Sunset, which covers well.

Step two is that if you're thinning so much that the paint is breaking down and going chalky, it's time to think about thinning with medium as well as water.

Well painted. Nice and thin coats too.
I'm mildly sentimental about my own second model, the assault cannon termie from the DV set.

Been painting seriously for a few months, mostly for D&D. This is probably the best I've produced. Any thoughts?

I'd recommend lifting up the raised edges of the detail on the sword blade with a light silver just to provide contrast on the sword so it looks more like energy rather than it having been washed with glaze all over.