Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How do you handle divinties in your games? Are they always meddling in the affairs of mortals, or are they a footnote mostly only seen on the cleric's character sheet?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1:docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3:docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/equipment/goods-and-services/animals-animal-gear/#Riding_Animals
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles/
d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/superior-sniper/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How do you handle divinties in your games?

Tenderly, keeping their needs at the front of my mind.

Divinities in my settings are usually on the animistic side, and gain power from people thinking about them. Dead Gods can be resurrected if people start worshipping them, and suppressing their faithful literally weakens them.

It seems that by the time I managed to pull my thoughts together the thread had officially been replaced. Here's a link should the user being addressed be interested.

I use them for major plots. In my present game Urgathoa's servant Barasthangas seeks to align with the Four Horsemen to overthrow the Pallid Princess and ascend to divinity herself.

Divinities in my game work through visions and messages, typically to their faithful but sometimes to less religious folk. They don't interact directly much, but give plenty of orders and suggestions.

I only have them interact in amusing, incognito mortal guises, and that only applies to the ones that have a sense of humor.

Is it also where inventing a god and actually suckering people into worship creates a new one?

Is it worth taking a 1 level warder dip for int to AoO as a wizard/harbinger gestalt?

It seems like a sweet dip but I'm not what you'd call experienced when weighing the benefits of initiator progression.

Also a fun way to play them. And even lacking a sense of humor, some could be like Odin or Baba Yaga and test folks for stcking to hospitality laws or good manners.

>tfw the Norse pantheon is not in Golarion or even vaguely in Golarion

Oh but the Egyptians are?

...yes. Yes, they literally are.

It actually kinda bothers me that they imported the Egyptians wholesale like that, but mostly because a whole lot of their shit revolved around the afterlife and in PF the afterlife is whatever the fuck Pharasma wants it to be.

Does anyone actually use the divine signs that show up when a cleric is behaving/misbehaving by their God's standards? For example, Sarenrae apparently gives people haloes/nimbuses (among other things) if they're playing nice, but strikes them blind if they're being assholes. None of the DMs I've played with have used them.

>All Shelyn does is guilt trip you into either asking forgiveness or leave the church

Never even heard of them.
What book are they from?

Considering Shelyn's former handmaiden is the goddess of "kys fag (but in a good way)" (Naderi) and her brother is CRAWLING IN MY SKIN (Zon-Kuthon), Shelyn is probably just making sure her fallen adherents don't an hero or make pipe organs powered by screaming children.

How hung up do you guys get on overland movement and scale? I'm making an overworld, hexagonal, and trying to figure out what semi-arbitrary distance to assign to each hex. Though I guess I could just leave it as feet or N/A (it's a roll20 game) and let the players guess for themselves if they care.

>Sarenrae strikes assholes blind
And yet her terror cells are totally fine

Inner Sea Gods (and Inner Sea Faiths for the minor gods). I think the Campaign Setting had the basics too, but didn't go into detail.

Is it possible to get an actual fully grown Roc for a companion or at least to hang out with like a buddy? These things are gargantuan but the animal companion versions can only grow to Large size.
How do I get big bird?

Animal Growth?

Suffice to say, Divine Betrothed are already VERY common in the games I play in... so, y'know. Take that for what it's worth.

Did the other general thread get deleted because of the anime picture?

This thread also has an anime picture in the OP...

You can buy a full-sized riding Roc for 7,200gp or a combat trained riding Roc for 10,800gp.

d20pfsrd.com/equipment/goods-and-services/animals-animal-gear/#Riding_Animals

It's only for a minute per level, though. Any suggestions on making it permanent for the bird?

50m for skirmish scale
100m for standard ground scale
500m for air combat
1km for space

RELIGION OF PEACE

There's a reason that evil cults getting to a certain size is dangerous. The more people they gather and the more worship they garner, the more powerful they become and the risk of them being able to affect the world becomes greater.

So...I'm going to run an AP for my group soon. I ran Reign of Winter before and liked it.

Which one should I run?

What *kind* of campaign do you want?

Well...
I want to start between level 4 and 6. I want there to be an overarching goal/conflict, but I want to allow the party to solve/interact with that as they see fit.

Mammoth Rider, make it huge, broker an infernal bargain with you Gm/Satan to allow animal growth to work with Permanency.

>I want there to be an overarching goal/conflict, but I want to allow the party to solve/interact with that as they see fit.

That can mean anything from Rise of the Runelords to Wrath of the Righteous.

Personally, if you want maximum "do it at your own pace" than I'd aim for Kingmaker.

Is there a list of "these are not shit" adventure paths that pazio has made?

THere's a list of "it's shit" AP

Serpent's Skull (falls flat after a strong start)
Carrion Crown (f"we forgot to foreshadow the final boss)
Wrath of the Righteous (Problem with mythic rather than the AP itself)
Legacy of FIre ("AH, I forgot this existed" the AP)
Second Darkness (It's just a mess)
Council of Thieves (Mediocre to the core)

These are not BAD BAD per se, save for Darkness, but they have the most glaring problems

What's the problem with mythic?

Every AP needs a little polish to make them shine, but a few need a bit more spit than others.

If you want something that works good right out of the box, I'd go with Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Shattered Star, Iron Gods, Skulls and Shackles, Giantslayer and Jade Regent.

If you want something that's great after a couple weeks of editing on your part? Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous.

Of all those, the ones I recommend most are Skulls and Shackles, Curse of the Crimson Throne and Jade Regent.

Absolutely nothing if you realize it's going to make the game easy mode for certain people. Do realize you're talking to people who tear things apart and optimize their use.

I wanna hear more about WotR and its problems and mythic stuff.

All I've heard is that at one point Iomedae summons the characters against their will, imprisons them, immediately slays any snarky PCs, and then forces the rest to undergo a trivia quiz where wrong answers or hesitation delivers lethal amounts of sonic damage to the entire party.

"Lawful Good"

It ranges from non-functional to way overpowered to not at all impressive.

>I wanna hear more about WotR and its problems and mythic stuff.

Wrath of the Righteous has problems that are surprisingly topical - they're all things that can be fixed with altered pronouns, a few names changed here and there, or altering the tone of an encounter. All in all, it's nothing that shouldn't take more than a lazy afternoon with a little spillover into the next day.

Iomedae's encounter isn't as bad as people make it out to be - it's dumb, but you can see where Paizo was trying to go with it. All you need to do is change the dynamics of the encounter from one where you're punished mechanically for an incorrect answer, to one where you're merely punished through fluff (less, "roll for damage" and more "she blares her horns, your ears are ringing and it hurts like hell")

Mythic is the only aspect of WotR that is inherent to the AP and truly a bitch to either rip out or fix. My advice? Embrace it - your players might abuse it, your players might not, but regardless of their intentions it will be *fun* for them, and if you see things are getting too easy than you can always pad out an encounter or add an extra zero to some HP.

Mythic itself is unbalanced as it heavily favors players. Any good player can, without much optimization, overpower enemies easily without taking too much damage in the process.

As for the AP it's only real problems on itself are that it's entirely a "Good" AP which proves that Kurgess is the only real paladin god and that it's railroaded, which may or may not be a gamebreaker, but everything is set on a path you can't deviate from. It's decently written, has some interesting characters you come across and does make you feel like a god chosen hero besides that.

Why do people have issues with APs being railroaded? They're meant to tell a story and PCs fucking off and doing their own shit isn't conducive to that. It's an adventure -path-. Follow that path.

>Why do people have issues with APs being railroaded?

Same reason you have people who beg for an airship in their campaign - they care more about their vision of the character's story more than the DM's presentation of a story.

It's why you should make a character with ties to the region or, if you can't do that, backstory-justified reasons for being in that region.

The best part is Wrath of the Righteous railroads you into being an unconquerable god among mortals, a being equal in might and majesty as Baba Yaga (Level 20, Mythic 10) without the misanthropy.

It comes down to being less a matter of wanting a different type of character build, and more you want a different type of character development, which just makes me think "why the fuck did you join a Crusades campaign if you don't want to be a Crusader?"

There is a reason why Paizo learned to start the railroad from the very beginning of the AP
These days the player guide itself tells you to make a character who cares about the stakes the AP sets up.
If you just wanted to freeroam roleplay, you don't need an AP for that

>These days the player guide itself tells you to make a character who cares about the stakes the AP sets up.

The number of people who refuse to read the Player's Guide or even consider the campaign traits they offer is absurd.

Hell, didn't the older APs have outright explanations why different *classes* would be in the region?

Making my first ever high-level character (10)
Is it even worth it to get heavy armor? The speed penalty hurts a lot and all it's doing is giving me up to +5 AC over a chain shirt. Feels like I could just grab a mithril breastplate and some wondrous item that grants concealment and be done for defensive gear. Am I wrong?

Can't be sure.
I mean all player guides give hints which classes will fit the best

Heavy Armor looks damn spiffy at the higher levels, if you don't need the Dex than I don't see why you wouldn't wear some full plate?

>tfw no merchant campaign in Druma

>speed penalty hurts a lot
Get the Fusing property from psionics if 3pp is allowed. +1 cost, makes the armor count as one category lighter, stacking with mithral so that your speed isn't reduced.

Make one. I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest.

Hmm.
But is it worth 18.5k?
It gives me +9 AC and no armor check penalty, but I could have +6 AC and no armor check penalty with a mithral breastplate for just 4.5k. Is that 3 AC worth 14k gp? I could put that money to much better use, I think...

Anyone here ever play/theorycraft a zweisent/dervish Warder with a double weapon?
Seems alright on paper to me. Thoughts?

>trying to boost my attack bonus to compensate for being a 3/4th BaB "frontliner"
>starting to actually consider taking Greater Weapon Focus down the line because of my own numbers autism

Some days I wonder why I play anything but Big Dumb Martial characters, since I'm clearly a sperg who's too stupid and/or lazy to try to do smart people things like "properly play the superior caster/gish classes".

>18.5k
Fusing is +1, so a +1 Fusing Mithral Full plate is worth 14.5k gp
Also, if you can pregame craft, you'll at most need 5 ranks in craft (armor) to make your own mithral full plate for 3.5k, making it just 7.5k total in price.

I'm trying to find a creative way to play a slayer, one that doesn't involve being a TWF-ing full attack turret.
Anyone have any ideas?

Stealth archer.

Become the hunter. One shot, one kill.

You're playing a martial in pathfinder, you're probably going to turn into some kind of full attack turret. That said there are lots of different play styles that you can build a slayer around other than TWF. Two of my favorites are sniper/archer builds or intimidating two-handed builds.

Are there any feats or magic items that would help with the sniper build?
It actually sounds like a fun idea.

>Become the hunter. One shot, one kill.

This does not work AT ALL in Pathfinder, if you expect to actually kill anything more dangerous than a deer.

Usually all 3/4th bab classes that are meant to kill stuff have some buff that makes up for it
What class?

d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles/

I have made a rogue, an inquisitor, and an archaeologist bard as two-handed intimitanks, it is my very favorite kind of character to play

>sneak attack from any distance

Refluff multiple shots as being one arrow (and missed iterations as being less accurate than a full attack that completely hits) and you get something very, very close to that.

Extend your ranged sneak attack range, pump your flat number bonuses and get a strong stealth score, and you can play the guy taking out a squad, one arrow at a time.

Mix with a dip into warpriest for the air blessing and assassinate the king from the next kingdom over.

Can attest. Playing a Bolt Ace Gunslinger with a heavy crossbow, and it's pretty much worthless against anything beyond human-scale. Granted, part of it is due to bad rolls, but there is an inherent weakness to the concept without any sort of magic or other shenanigans that could be better accomplished by another class.

Neither of those abilities change your maximum range, though.

>Taking Greater Weapon Focus purely for the attack bonus

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/superior-sniper/

Slayers can take Rogue talents, by the way.

>Gain Mythic rank
>Take Endless Range
>Longbow can now hit without penalty from 700 feet

The Slayer can pick Rogue Talents from the following list; bleeding attack*, camouflage, combat trick, fast stealth, finesse rogue, firearm training, grit, hard to fool, lasting poison, powerful sneak, rogue crawl, slow reactions*, snap shot, sniper's eye, surprise attack, swift poison, terrain mastery, trap spotter, unwitting ally, or weapon training.

Magus, it's probably just me being paranoid and not accounting for things like flanking, or just going invisibly, or what have you. I'm just very used to just being able to go "fun's over, get out of my pool" without any elaborate setups any time the plot-moving PCs actually get in danger.

Eww, Magus
Magus is a one-trick pony.

Nothing really elaborate needed. Just spend a swift action to juice up your sword with arcane pool. It stacks with existing enhancement, even.

You can take the Arcane Accuracy magus arcana to give yourself an insight bonus on attack rolls for 1 round every time you spend a point of arcane pool.

There is a balance. If one side does something then the other side can do an equal and opposite action. So most divine and infernal deities work in minor miracles. Including but not limited to:
>Modifying "Random" spell effects to be more beneficial.
>Vauge divination results that allow the party to avoid a dangerous battle.
>You find a silver great axe under an overturned wagon two hours before fighting were-creatures.

Newfag here: psionics, yay or nay?

Yay. I'm not crazy about their flavor personally, but balance-wise they're really well done.

I know, I just finally got a chance to play one after 2 years of wanting to and didn't want to pass up the chance. I can only hope that the future holds brighter things.

I guess so, they just don't feel particularly impressive after a while, especially with the limp list of weapon qualities you get. Made worse by the fact that you have to spend an arcana, in order to spend MORE pool points to get... Qualities you have to trade your +1's for anyway? On top of the inability to extend the duration of the buff outside of the 3pp Arcana to a meaningful amount of time to counter the increased costs.

just ignore the weapon qualities and go all-in on the bonuses.

All this talk about Wrath of the Righteous makes me want to play it!

Yea, sooner or later you'll HAVE to dip into weapon qualities and the list is pretty darn lame. It especially hurts since Bladebound is one of my favorite archetypes.

What do you guys read when you want to restore your well of narrative creativity? I'm at the point where I used to be good at wordplay or descriptions, but the past couple sessions have shown I'm in a rut.

I'm going back to old habits to see if that doesn't fix my spark, but what do you guys do?

Laying face down screaming until my neighbor bangs on the wall normally helps me.

I go here to Veeky Forums and look for/make a horror stories thread.
Reading about people forcing characters to walk over to and fall into a pit of crocodiles firstly pisses me off and secondly makes me re-create the entire thing in my head but well instead of badly. Really activates my almonds if you will.

There is that Wrath of the Raunchy gearing up, might as well apply, yeah?

Anyone got suggestions for really cool wondrous items in the 15-30k price range?
I've got a big list of cool shit, but the most expensive one there is 12k and I've got a lot of gold burning a hole in my pocket.
I've got Black Market Connections thanks to our Rogue and we're in a metropolis so I can buy basically anything.
Not looking for combat tools specifically, I'd prefer really cool/useful items instead. Stuff like portable hole, you know.

Anything that bumps up one of your class abilities by 4 levels' worth. Robe of Arcane Heritage, Silver Smite Bracelet, etc.

Is Boarding Gaff the only double weapon with reach?

Tools of Amazing Manufacture are 10k and allow you, with the proper craft skill, to build up to 2,000 gp worth of goods in 1 hour per day.

Isn't it already done with the whole application thing?

No, this is going to be a mountain of butthurt whn only like 6/40 are chosen.

Since you seem cognizant of the whole thing, can you tell me what sorts of backgrounds or character archetypes are missing or would be greatly appreciated? I've got some ideas, but I'd like to know if they line up with some pressing need.

It's so bad that we're starting to see characters that are basically clones of one another in applications

I'm a level 2 human Barbarian. My saves are looking like this, while raging:
Fort: +10 (12 against spells/su/sla)
Ref: +4 (6 against spells/su/sla)
Will: +8 (10 against spells/su/sla)

Is this enough?

It's okay, on average better than any non-paladin for your level.
Work on your Will save when you start getting up there in levels. Your Reflex save probably won't be as necessary, since failing one of those usually just means more damage, and as a Barbarian you should be able to tank a big hit or two.

Yeah only triple what they have by default
What the fuck are you afraid