MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

"THE MEMES, JACK!" Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Who's your favorite meme Commander and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multi-track-ramping-with-brozilek
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/13-02-17-Sbw-none/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/updated-xenagos-deck-d/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-10-16-tap-that-ass/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Holy shit what is this ass-mad mouth breathing retard going on about?

Different playgroups have different wants for the format and competition scales differently between them. Some groups may play like legacy singleton, and some may play like timmy Battlecruiser, and both are OK. What's ignorant is saying one is the """correct""" way to play edh and one is wrong.

Let the edh spikes play spikey and let the Johnnies and timmies play like they want likewise.

Favorite meme commander is probably jin-gan augur man

>Who's your favorite meme Commander and why?
Zedruu because when I pull her out, people are laughing.

But after I softlock them and combo out, they aren't laughing anymore.

I like you and your taste. I put that hunchback in every deck that has blue

Do you have a good list? I wanna see the memes!

>Different playgroups have different wants for the format and competition scales differently between them.
your fun-hating tryhard decks forcibly raise the power level for everyone else (unless they kick you out, which they should)
you take all the variety out of the game to instead run stax, turn 3/4 combos and fill the rest of your deck with answers to everyone elses combos and stax
but in the end combos are combos and stax is stax so all you really do is run the same homogenized decks against each other for 3 turns until the winner is declared and then you try again
and you had to spend hundreds of dollars for your trouble
what's fun about that?

Kaalia. She's easy to stop but i still like using her every once in a while cause she's my first commander that i spent money on.

Hell yeah

It was my colorless eldrazi deck before (I tried all of them as generals except aeons torn) , I just kept running into the same fucking card draw issues every game, not even the kozis were enough.

So I made Jin gan the commander, and replaced 20 colorless lands with islands, and put in vedalken archmage.

The deck is fucking insane now, flashing in my 10 cmc commander between turn 4-5 completely fucks my opponents answers if he resolves and makes it around the table once (fat fucking chance). It plays like normal colorless eldrazi but I get to puke out SO MUCH more of my deck, it's insane.

For memes, I put eldrazi conscription on jingo late game

Calm down man, I'm defending all levels of play.

Honestly, play however you want with the right playgroup, but please scale yourself down to a Timmy stompy deck if you're playing with randoms at your lgs and you can tell they're not playing combo.

If you're playing with obviously newer players, don't fucking play a tuned Combo deck to show off how big your dick is, pull out the meme decks and have fun.

>play however you want with the right playgroup, but please scale yourself down to a Timmy stompy deck if you're playing with randoms at your lgs and you can tell they're not playing combo.
this i can agree with
im fine with people doing whatever they want with their private playgroup but i'd really prefer that public forums like lgs stay as places where creativity and jank can shine
but it seems to me like a lot of wankery around the game (especially in these threads) centers on these ridiculous, expensive, and homogeneous wins that attempt to destroy this, and its really just moving the format into the awful direction standard and modern went in

>What's ignorant is saying there's one """correct""" way to play edh.

There is a correct way. It's been the philosophy since it's inception. The format is a social format and generally speaking legacy singleton supports that philosophy less easily than timmy battlecruiser.

That sounds pretty fun honestly. Would you say that if I swapped 20 lands in this deck for islands and put in jin-jam, would it function?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multi-track-ramping-with-brozilek

Because I never really get draw issues, but your way sounds like a lot of fun. Lastly, what are some good blue spells to run if I do swap?

Is an izzet color deck as fun as it sounds?

I threw together a Mono-Black Yahenni deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/13-02-17-Sbw-none/

Thoughts?
This is for Tiny Leaders

But not for your opponents.

That's just wrong. You can play just as socially with megacasul meta as with Doomsday or Hermit Druid meta.
Unless you're a woman, of course. They can't even talk and walk at the same time, let alone play and talk.

I'd think so, make sure youhave a few rocks that tap for any color too (darksteel ingot, youknow) and 20 islands will be fine.

a few good blue spells would be:

Padeem, vedalken archmage, blue artificers that tap to add mana for artifacts only. Mystic remora , rhystic study.

>You can play just as socially with megacasul meta as with Doomsday or Hermit Druid meta.
The barrier to entry for a doomsday meta is higher than a megacasul meta, so it is objectively less social.

This gave me a chuckle

Sure, but unless you're playing with autists, you'll probably get into some kind of agreement.
We usually split games in between vintage-tier combofags and everyone else. It works fairly well.

>Sure, but unless you're playing with autists, you'll probably get into some kind of agreement.
you realize we're talking about mtg players don't you

Angry Omnath featuring a haste enabler, primal surge, and 97 lands.

I might just keep the cards I need for the jin-jan variation and swap them out whenever I see fit. Thanks for the help.

I just bought this at the walmart for MSRP.

Sit on it, or take the first offer over $60?

Help me out, /edhg/.

I would like to build a deck that is:
- two-color
- with white
- not one of the popular, well known generals
- with an interesting Johnny general with an ability that can be built around in a specific way
- isn't just goodstuff.dec

Don't sit on it. Either open and play, or sell now.

For what reason?

It isn't going up in value any time soon, and there are rumors about a new batch coming.

Even if it went up in value in the future, it would be years before it would be worth it to have it laying around.

You have a ticking timebomb, my man. Dump it before it explodes. $60 is decent, but try to jew for $65 or even 70

Honestly I wouldn't mind it sitting in a closet for a few years. Ideally I'd like to sell it. But, if I can't get any bites on it, I figure I got a good commander for waaay under value.

>Honestly I wouldn't mind it sitting in a closet for a few years
The value of your currency would most likely go down in value because of inflation faster than the deck's value would increase on the secondary market, making it a bad long-term investment. Add to that the cost of storage, even if it's negligible.

>one commander precon
>cost of storage
>literally have a 3bedroom house with just my wife and myself and 2 dogs

You would be waiting several years to sell an item just to make a few dollars extra profit. Which isn't even guaranteed. None of the previous precons from C13 onwards have gained significant value over the years.

Also, have some children.

Lavinia flicker detain
Run etb tap or control effects with it

>Who's your favorite meme Commander and why?
Mishra, because he's janky as fuck and my deck has no wincon

I wish demon tribal worked without all the typical tribal support

rate my deck? - tappedout.net/mtg-decks/updated-xenagos-deck-d/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-10-16-tap-that-ass/
An user posted this a few weeks ago when I asked about a Selvala deck. Really been wanting to make it with the addition of paradox engine

>31 lands
>Only Sol Ring with CMC3< Ramp

I was about to point out that the deck wins through Hurricane but it didn't had Glacial Chasm but then I remember that Selvala's ability also nets you life. Funny deck, you could also make everyone deck out too I think.

so more mana sources?

This is fucking dumb.
I love it.

Needs ranger of eos and avacyn's pilgrim

You should at least have more green mana, as much of your early-game ramp either has G or GG

Where do you place, /EDH ?

where does oviya pashiri fit on the list

Yeah and I know I'm grasping straws, but maybe some normal people play it as well. Right? R-right?

Sigarda
Grenzo
Sharruum
Jarad
Kruphix
Noyan Dar (It's more like Celestial Collnade turbo)

So where do I place?

I've got a monoU Burn list with Reveka in mind I want to build someday so tier VIII?

I'm on Kruphix so I'm a fucking beluga whale or whatever animal that is

I'm tier 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8.
What does this mean?

Average your scores

have wort but been wanting to make noyan-dar when i get some flying manlands.

where would zada cantrip grinder be placed on this?

Where do Riku and AVR Gisela place?

Anyone have a Queen Marchesa deck? All the lists I've seen seem to heavily lean into full on pillow fort but she seems she would be more fun/useful as super political.

Any spicy tech?

Tier III

Tier IV

Only one of my commanders is there, so I'm transcendent

Where's Melek and Xenagos?

I have combo/pillowfort Zedruu, am I ascendant enough?

Hey Rule question:

If I cast a spell that gives all creatures -X/-X, then cast a creature myself. Is the new creature affected by the effect?

No, it is not.

>affected by the effect?
effected by the affect?
Er did I English that right the first time?

>Kruphix, literally U/G goodstuff the commander
>tier VII
it's garbage

>Only one of my decks is on the list

Guess I am a normal EDH player?

Affect is the verb, effect is the noun

Not unless you flashed it in.

Tier III and Tier IV, which also accurately describe me in real life.

Rank these in order in which you'd cut them from your 3-color deck.

Obviously the City and the Confluence are the best ones, but what about the rest?

I recently grabbed a copy of planechase anthology, what's the best way to build/use the included decks?

Build Vela ninjas and/or Wanderer shenanigans.

Play with the single planar deck and have fun.

Forbidden Orchard / Aether Hub (honestly can't decide which is worse)
Reflecting Pool
Exotic Orchard
Mana Confluence / City of Brass (If I'm running damage prevention effects, Mana Confluence goes first. If I'm running damage doublers, City of Brass does. But I probably wouldn't cut either of these.)

yea, those are the obvious decks, only problem is I only started playing in M15 so I'm pretty ass at deckbuilding

Unless you have energy support, cut Aetherhub

Exotic orchard is play style dependent. I almost always play in 4+ people games, so orchard almost always taps for any color.

Forbidden Orchard is great if you are doing group hug, or political games

Never used reflecting pool, doesn't seem that useful to me honestly.

>You can play just as casually with...

Some groups can some can't. The emphasis on commander is the journey and not the end. When you have a spike-focused group that vision can more easily be blurred. I didn't say it was impossible just less likely.

You might as well leave the decks as they are and have dank multiplayer games with you and our friends each piloting one of them. With the Planes.

It's not EDH, but it's very fun.

forbidden orchard
aether hub
reflecting pool
exotic orchard
mana confluence
city of brass

We did that but it didn't feel well balanced, the Aura and devour decks were leaps and bounds ahead of the other two.

Plus when it's just with my friends we all just play janky bullshit that plays off each other.

Going to proxy a deck so I can introduce 3 of my friends to commander. I already have an Starks dragon tribal, an Alesha thats built as tokens and hatebears and a yasova borrow your stuff.

What commander is board oriented, not too complex, and fun? No budget cause ill be proxying.

Starks should say atarka

Mine isn't on there. And fuck your little school project, user.

Trash tier unless you built around them:
Forbidden Orchard, Aether Hub

Decent tier but unreliable:
Exotic Orchard, Reflecting Pool

Great tier:
Mana Confluence, City of Ass

Made this deck. Can confirm it is a lot of silly fun to parley 10 times in one turn. Consider adding an Aetherflux for an additional wincon.

I hope you realize that Yasova is going to suck, especially against dragons

>>Forbidden Orchard is bad

I've literally never had Forbidden Orchard come back and bite me in the ass. It's either been neutral by giving the tokens to some player who can't use them and they die in the crossfire, or helpful because I can give them to someone who uses them to attack a mutual opponent. Would definitely run over Exotic Orchard, which might not even tap for your colors.

where does skeleton ship fit on this list

guess that means your a edh hipster or ultra casul

Well, short journey is a journey as well. Not everyone likes high power decks which end the games fast, but I do, I find it enjoyable to see all the possible ways to win, but obviously winning with the same way every game gets boring and the most important thing is resiliency anyway.
Still, I don't get the attitude that commander somehow must be a slog and attitude towards the format and deckbuilding needs to come from same mold for everyone.
Some people like to see which of their similar decks manages to win first through disruption, I like to play stax and strategies like that.
I dislike dumb combatting and beefsteaks and I solely built my Mogis that was somewhat watered down Hanna I have, but with hand destruction along with the wipes and creature hate.

Its the only one with an infinite combo in it just to bring it up to closer to the level of the others. I'm going to change it to surrak once i get a kiki jiki, or maybe maelstrom wanderer.

My alesha deck has a stax package that I'm leaving out for now and is meant to be the competitive one

Something with do with tokens maybe? Like krenko or elfzuri?

Where is hidetsugu?

>give it to anthems.dec such as Marath
>that 1/1 is actually a 4/4 flying deathtouch that taps for mana
>give it to ETBs.dec such as Newzuri or Purphoros
>they're now one step closer to going off
>give it to gravepact.dec, such as Meren
>free sac fodder is free value
>give it to spellslinging.dec, such as Mizzix
>he now has a chump blocker to stall for time ever so slightly until he goes off
>give it to anyone else when you have a voltron.dec in the pod, such as Rafiq
>he has to deal with chump blockers every turn so he's probably gonna focus you to get rid of that shit

It might be a meta thing, but that thing is useless where I play

>only one of my commanders on the list
>Daretti
>tier 1

Where do Sen Triplets, Marrow-Gnawer, Ikra Shidiqi and Sidar Kondo place?

Atraxa has me at tier one, but I don't know if hope of ghirapur, reyhan+thrasios, and/or bruna, fading would affect it.

In light of the news that Amonkhet will bring full art foil Amonkhet basic lands as promo rewards for events (at least, possibly even has full art lands in the actual set), what's everyone's favourite basic lands?

I want a commander that casts a fuck ton of 1~2 drop cantrips, be it for Storm or anything else. Don't care if its instants, sorceries, artifacts, creatures, I just want a fuck ton of cantrips. What's her name, Veeky Forums?

Not Ink-Treader because my playgroup sucks like that.

Pretty stupid. Names on the sides aren't creative, just simple insults. Mouth breathing retard is used twice. Might as well use the tier list that one guy from tappedout made cause there's no guideline on how they're ranked. Also, you're missing a lot of commanders

say no more senpai

Noyan dar, talrand or zada

>as my deck gets optimized, all the fun cards have to get cut
Every time.

I'm sure nobody will notice if I bring a 105-card deck, will they?