Why do dark eldar always go on raids? Wouldn't it be more efficient for them to just breed captives?

Why do dark eldar always go on raids? Wouldn't it be more efficient for them to just breed captives?

For one they kill slaves fucking constantly. Two breeding slaves is in no way more efficient because now there is a 7 year waiting period before they can even do basic labor. That kind of long term planning is not Dark Eldar in style.

But wouldn't raising them in a lifetime of pain be more efficient in the long run?

The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

No. A period of half descent living before the seemingly endless agony of slave nice is a necessary reference point to make their suffering all the sweeter

You'll get twing if you torture them constantly while they grow up.
And if you don't have an outlet like raiding, Commoragh will devolve into civil war (well, more than currently, I mean).

fun and

Twing?

No. The only real life slave population that was able to reproduce at a rate to keep up with demand was the US. Everywhere else just kept importing new slaves. I imagine 40k is slightly deadiler than Brazil so bringing in new slaves makes the most sense.

*twinks. Dunno how I made that typo, honestly.

Did the US just treat them better?

Still confused by twinks? If I grab a guy and torture him from a young age I get a cute slim fuccboi?

But it's no fun

Being a dark eldar sounds really fun.

I wish I was a high ranking dark eldar

Yep. But with less cuteness and more scars.
And totally unfit for slave labor or gladiatorial fights.

Time to go build a torture dungeon I guess.

I can see a couple of reasons given the nature and structure of Dark Eldar society.

Firstly, and most importantly, it's not a necessity. Raiding sources are near infinite, and weapons and transport are not scarce. Breeding might be more stable and potentially higher yielding in the long run, but it needs time and peace to build up. This simply isn't possible due to the next point.

They're a violent society, ruled by strength in all ways. They have no concept of personal loyalty, trust, or long-term value. There is only strength and obedience. Killing an Archon often makes you an Archon. Any Dark Eldar who even looks unwilling to fight would appear vulnerable. Only Vect could possibly afford to expend the resources necessary, and he doesn't want to.

And there's also the fact that they fucking love raiding and would probably do it even if they didn't have to.

>Did the US just treat them better?

Not really. As far as slave treatment goes, the US was probably somewhere just south of the median standard of compassion for slaves. It wasn't nearly as bad as the East India Co's sheer brutality but it was still horrifying by basically any normal person's moral standards. At least on large plantations. Smaller farms had better treatment generally because the owners couldn't afford replacements and they had more direct contact with their slaves as they were often working the fields as well.

The US was able to create a domestic slave trade because it spent like a century and half importing absolutely staggering numbers of slaves from Africa before that was finally banned. By the time of the Civil War the slave population was large enough to sustain itself.

Wouldn't they have an interest in maintaining the balance of power then? If one faction started winning their yields would drop.

Apart from it should be noted that working on a sugar plantation is by itself a way worst destiny than working on a cotton one. I don't know if the USA had sugar plantations, they probably had some, but south america and the Caribbean were the main sugar region with the south of the american states more oriented towards cotton.

The US didn't really have any sugar planations. It inherited a few after the Spanish-American War but slavery was illegal in the US for almost half a century by that point.

And yeah, sugar plantations were way worse than cotton plantations. Cotton farms were still pretty awful but sugar planation owners would have slaves mutilated and killed for extremely petty reasons. As bad as American treatment of slaves was, the Spanish and English were way worse. But then again where do you think the Americans learned it?

Why was sugar so bad?

Not good for your teeth.

They worked with massive boiling metal cauldrons of the stuff, we're outside doing backbreaking labor in hot tropical climates.

Mortality rates on sugar plantations were astronomical compared to cotton plantations on the mainland. The spaniards had to import slaves from Africa because the native populations of their colonies went almost extinct from the mortality rate

Am I the only one getting a boner reading all this

The Spaniards and English were also extraordinarily cruel to their laborers, even by slaveholder standards.

To this day I still can't quite figure out why the early colonial powers were so brutal. I guess it was a mix of economic urgency and the fact overseer and governor jobs in a far off and strange land just naturally attract ambitious and ruthless individuals.

And the remnants of the Inquisition, who were perfectly willing to torture a new slave to death for not knowing the rosary (actually happened), and the suger cane spiders (fucking deadly), and the machetes used to cut the sugar cane (rusty but sharp), and the swampy conditions (Nurgles playground).
Also, US slave laws were influenced by Jews, who took the biblical laws on slavery and the treatment of slaves seriously (a Jewish plantation was the cushiest job a slave could hope for), while the Spanish and Protestants ignored those laws.

Most American slaveholders were Protestants though. The Jews mostly stayed up North counting their shekels from selling steel to the Dixies.

Born slaves, slaves raised under the yoke, are jaded. The grip of She Who Thirsts can only be momentarily loosened by the truly unwelcome and unsought sensation, and so jaded slaves are less nourishing and less valuable.

Never doubt the sanity of the true Eldar, for we alone maintain proper mental health in ourselves and our fodder. Apathy is another form of the relentless entropy of the cold, uncaring galaxy that we inhabit, to be fought against but never triumphed over. Sadism too, a regrettable inevitability, one that draws She Who Thirsts to us even as we repel her. Never confuse it with Masochism, a true and vile cancer of the mind, one that should be excised cleanly and swiftly whenever it is encountered.

Elephants are more or less the same. It is too costly to take them as babies. Hence, mot tamed elephants were captured on the wild.

- Not sustainable.
- not fun
- slaves would be already depressed, you need to break them
- raiding is not just slaves but resources
- their entire society is built around such things, glory and so forth, like roman society was

Also cutting sugar cane with a machete is simply a more exhausting work than picking cotton.

An imported slave is always more rebellious than a non-imported one, and therefore must be treated more harshly. This makes the mortality rate bigger and you continue having imported slaves. It's a vicious cycle.

Not to mention the conditions of working we've already talked about. The harder the work, the more brutal you have to be to force the slaves to do it. Slaves in mines were also cruelly mistreated everyfuckingwhere by everyone in history.

How about the Portuguese?

Those Brasilwood camps were pretty hellish as well. The Portuguese were pretty cruel, but they had a smaller empire so their brutality never reached as large a scale as the Spanish and English.

Also people like exist and would be drawn to the lack of oversight.

There were plenty of Jewish slaveholders in America. Its not talked about, and they also faced lots of legal issues because they made the typical slaveholder look bad (for a while, it was illegal to free slaves because Jews did so, and then they bought the slaves people didn't want as replacements, starting the cycle again with slaves who had tried to run away)

There were a fair number of sugar plantations in the US at one point, most of which was shipped north to make Rum. The decline of the sugar plantations came about because tobacco and cotton were more profitable cash crops and Caribbean plantations undercut American growers and forced them to switch to the aforementioned crops.

Because slave raids are a sport to the Dark Eldar. The number of slaves taken is just a way to keep score.

I'm pretty sure that, in the specific field of sugar-related cruelty, the portuguese were more cruel than spaniards and brits since they simply had more land destined to that purpose.

Let's just say the other two had more options.

Some of them actually did it in a way, I remember a short story (aparrently canon) called "Wolf at the Door", where a Dark Eldar Kabal raids a planet every few years, but they don't wipe them out completely, they let them breed, rebuild, etc.

The population goes into hiding during those raids, leaving criminals and other undesirable people on the surface.

Of course, the DE eventually get bored of this and arrive unexpectedly to get some action.

Because it's fun

They exist for thrill and pleasure, They were never forced to replenish themselves with emotion. They could have stopped with the sadism and pleasure-seeking and became Craftworlders or Exodites, but instead they said: 'Fuck that, we want to carry on having a good time, not even the birth of a goddess that drains our souls could stop our party.'

user no! You can create twinks by smothering them with so much love that they never need to fight for anything, too! And they'll be cuter, and love you more!

>meanwhile, the french were too busy fucking the natives to be really cruel.

Only the anglos had a racial superiority complex, pretty much all others were fucking the natives/slaves, look at spanish/portuguese colonies, everyone is mostly mixed with some purebreed whites at top of society.

Spanish and Portuguese had a major religious superiority complex though.

Really the French were the only bro-tier colonial power, at least by the standards of their competitors.

Hmm, how about doing both, to get both kinds.

Haiti was one of the worst hell on earth colonies. They weren't bro tier at all. Nobody was bro tier in the caribbean.

This "french were nice" is based on what they did in the north of america and Canada, where they never had a lot of numbers to replace the local population. Spaniards, too, respected and adopted local indian traditions and politics where they needed to do so. And nobody with a brain would call them nice.

I'm sure that was all exaggerated by abolitionists. Slavery was not that bad.

>the US imported staggering numbers of slaves
No, the US only ever accounted for 4% of the volume of the international slave trade.

Are those pre or post Revolution figures? That matters a lot.

Most of the trans-Atlantic slave trade to the States occurred before the US became its own country.

In the history of the trade, period.

To be fair, the european ruling classes weren't bro-tier to anybody, even their own people. The Spring of Nation existed because the lower classes were worked to death at the time, and repression then didn't have much to envy to purges made against rioting slaves.

For reference, out of the ~12 million Africans imported to the Americas in the entire history of the trade, only about 380,000 went to North America, which includes the US, Canada, /and/ Mexico.

>Slavery was not that bad.
And you know this because you have a time machine that means you know better than every source we have available that wasn't from a slave owner?

I think he's being sarcastic and/or trolling for (You)s

I think he may be referring to the atmosphere of the times. One of the arguments of pro-slavery Americans at the time was that their slaves were actually happy compared to the slaves in other countries. It still sucked big time but it wasn't 24/7 misery as abolitionists would claim.

I mean compared to work conditions in the rest of the world slavery in the americas wasn't that bad.

I mean slavery was still a miserable experience and even by the standards of the time pretty immoral. I mean not every slaveowner was an inhuman monster but at the same time it was still quite literally turning a profit from human misery.

The abolitionists /were/ right, even if most of them were just as racist as the pro-slavery crowd.

Poe's Law. I have no idea if you're mocking the idea or genuinely are that dumb.

In fracture of Biel-Tan blood brides start to turn into hags after two nights with murder and all that

They don't literally start turning into hags.
They start acting like hags and Yvarine muses that if they cannot feed soon, they will start killing each other in order to sate the Thirst.

The Deldar don't start physically deteriorating after few days of not feeding on the pain of others, but they will start feeling the thirst more increasingly.

So they stay as hot girls forever?

Provided they keep torturing people, yes

If I chain one up could I torture things for her then keep her as a harem slave?

No, she has to do it herself. And an Eldar fucking a human would be akin to beastiality to them. They view humans that lowly

I thought they had arena shows to feed in their city?

Surely they would be able to do it by proxy.

Also the point of the chains is kind of so they don't have a choice.

Does humiliation kill them? Could you literally rape a dark eldar to death?

Well fuck I could be wrong about that one part, maybe they just have to witness it. And no, you couldn't fuck one to death unless you choke her or some thing

>cuck makes dumb claim
>cuck proven wrong
>cuck spills spaghetti trying to justify dumb claim with weak, irrelevant bullshit
>cuck BTFO

The DEldar have very advanced cloning technology.

Isn't that just to clone eldar

That would make sense if you were talking about a hard sci-fi setting but WH40K is very much not a hard sci-fi setting. Also DEldar Haemonculi love to do experiments on humans.

What experiments even remain to be done after 10k years.

Says so right in the codex, slaves aren't enough to keep their society running. They need slaves to feed their industry, their arenas, their brothels, and sacrificial pits.

But they also need suffering to sustain themselves, and the atrocities they do to slaves is the DEldar equivalent of eating a party size bag of potato chips: filling for a little while but no real nourishment and leaves them sick.

The DEldar, especially the archons need to see suffering on a much larger scale visited on innocent beings that haven't had the light of hope snuffed out yet. Raids satisfy that need.

>What does a human sound like if they are kept a live to scream in agony for 10,001 years?

>DE
>Sharing information

kek

But by sharing information everyone is stronger together!

>Making other people stronger

Khaine's Balls it's like you want to fed to Slaanesh.

What is this heresy for ants.

I unknowingly saved another Thumbnail.
I am going to cry and wonder what else I fucked up.

>wanting to make those faggots in rival Kabals stronger
Sink or swim on your own cockbag.
I bet you're from the Severed or some other shitty Kabal that Vect doesn't care enough about to acknowledge they exist.

>Being stronger together when you could be the only remaining weaker individual because you killed literally everyone else
>Being stronger together when you could be weaker overall and still at the top of the pile
>Willingly assisting your enemies
>Doing anything together ever and not secretly or openly trying to kill everyone else
>Implying you're actually "stronger together" and it's not just giving your ostensible allies more opportunities to steal your shit and kill you

Fucking mon-keigh or Tau pleb detected

Because how else will i keep my factories working at full? I haven't got >5 years to watch 2 Monkeys or Fishpeople pop out another 1-5 more

Don't even mention how long it takes for "Eldar" slaves to spawn

I've got guns to run and money to make

Not true at all but we're not on /pol/ so I'll just let it pass.

I'm calling Poe's Law on you for being such a whiny bitch.

Wait did they use slaves for factories? I thought it was automated and they just used them for sport.

They tried that, but mass slave labor was both funnier and slightly more efficient.

My penis wants to learn more about this. Is there any good reading material on the dark eldar beyond the codex?

>would be akin to beastiality to them
Good thing they're all about the perverted stuff, then.
DE probably react like /d/ when exposed to handholding.

I wonder if there are NEET Dark Eldar who are too scared to leave their houses so they watch videos of girls getting tortured.

They would die of hunger. Plus NEETing is pretty hard when attendance to raids is mandatory, andbackstabbing the weak guys is socially recommended. The closest thing is probably a crazy Haemonculi obsessed with creating the perfect waifu murdermachine or something.

>Yaekassar, what is this shit?
>My latest Talos, of course. Isn't she terrific?
>The boobs I can understand, but why is it blushing?

Like with chaos, you'd be a bitch boy with the short end of a stick.

Aka not fun.

Fun fact, all emotions work.

Its just that pain is the strongest and tastiest. So there might just be a subgroup of insane deldar who just go around making everyone feel really good.

>Brings it on raids so he can show off to other Haemonculi and his enemies
>One day, a lucky shot by an enemy brings it down
>They say that even the other Dark Eldar were shocked at the horrors he inflicted upon that world

aint nobody got time for that

Even worse, they dont eat the ugly perfectionist god comes and murders them forever.

>killing a waifu
Wow, hold on, there's a thing as too much grimdark, and this is clearly an instance of it.

Just having a DE cuddling with you and baking you cookies would be a stressful experience. So they get to feed on fear and and happiness at the same time!

Are there any Dark Eldar who just fuck off on their own and build some castle of pain somewhere?

Sure, but thats just like building a giant target sign saying "God is a faggot" in texas and wearing it 24/7.