Question Veeky Forums, what system could I go for if I wanted to run a modern-ish fantasy game with magic...

Question Veeky Forums, what system could I go for if I wanted to run a modern-ish fantasy game with magic, mechs and huge swords? I'm basically trying to emulate something akin to Final Fantasy 7 but I wouldn't know where to start with it system wise.

GURPS

Anima.
No, not that one. The other one. Anima Prime.

What books would you recommend to go along with it?
I haven't actually heard of that, have you played it before? It's sounding exactly what I was looking for thus far.

Only need the main book. From there it depends what you want to elaborate on: Want an expanded or totally different magic system? Try Magic and Thaumatology. Want more future tech? Ultra-Tech will do the trick. Need help world building? Fantasy is a handy book to have.

Legend d20. It's great at this exact kind of thing.

This is pretty good. D&D 4e also works for a more tactical feel.

I've personally found Anima and the FF RPGs I saw too complicated and inelegant for my tastes.

Not OP but sell me on this please.

A D&D 4E "Final Fantasy Tactics/Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced" style game would be dope.

This is a good point. Reskinning stull to lasor zwords or fukhueg gunz would be pretty simple too. Dailies being a limit break type attack or something.

Hell, one game my GM let me reskin the Superior Crossbow from the Adventurer's Vault as a matchlock arquebus because I was playing an artificer and it fit the character.

Imagine a d20OSR fantasy game that was good, letting your heroes go from being competent but generally human to being demigods.

Now remove the monster manual, because the creator abandoned the project before finishing it.

That about sums up Legend. But to be a bit more precise, the biggest unique mechanical quirk it has is that each class is built of 3 tracts that can be switched around to create multi-classed characters.

For example, you could grab one of the Barbarian's tracks (say, Destruction, the track that gives it all kind of cleaving and wall busting attacks) and give it to a Monk classed character instead of one of its own tracks.

There are also 1 track classes, that are meant to be added to other classes instead of standing alone. Things like Masked Vigilante, or Skeleton Lord.

Ayupp.

If you excuse my shilling, there's also Strike! for a lighter, more easily refluffed alternative (of course, considering how numbers go in FF, "lighter" could be a detriment in this situation).

Considering that I was just shilling 4E, and I shill Ryuutama and SWN every chance I get because I love the games, I'll give you a pass for Strike!.

If only because I like to try to be reasonable.

Shill and let shill, as I always say.

I didn't understand the draw of Strike! or it's relation to 4e that people seem to profess. Though I admit I feel like I missed something when reading than anything, if I recall the free "lite" version on their site doesn't explain a bunch of stuff, like powers.

The free light version is hot garbage. It entirely omits the tactical side of the game, as well as a bunch of other optional rules and modules.

I get that they want you to buy the book, but it's fucking terrible at explaining what's good about the game for people who are interested.

Yeah, I remember discussing it here when I first read it (as an user recommended it), I skimmed it and the list of questions I came back with made us all realize the free book is near counter productive to get people to play.

It's an effort to take everything good and unique from 4e (refluffable fun tactics combat+clear, concise presentation+non obtrusive skill system) and boil it down into a simple chassis that isn't bogged down with D&D-isms (not that they are bad, but they muddy the water).

Also, the simplicity/modularity makes it easy to brew for.

Unfortunately not.
It's one of the many games I read, but have little chance of ever playing.
That said, as somone who has played quite a few systems and read many more, I haven't found any glaring issues with it.

Strike! is a fucking mess.