How would a flat world differ from a round world?

How would a flat world differ from a round world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babylon_(story)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean

It would immediately collapse into a round world unless you posit magic, at which point it really depends on what magic you're using.

Everyone talks about the world being flat but nobody is pointing out how retarded it is to beleive its just some huge head that creates wind?

Or never following up what they beleive is holding up the world so you get a "its turtles all the way down." scenario.

>how retarded it is to beleive its just some huge head that creates wind
It's really easy to feel superior over people thousands of years ago that hadn't access to modern education.

It's a good job that they didn't actually think a giant head created wind then isn't it.

well, one would be more flat, another would be more round, duh

If it's non infinite, all gravity would be directed towards the center, in which case it would behave more like a bowl world, with a great ocean in the middle and impassable mountains at the rim. All civilization would be centered around the great rivers flowing into this ocean, or the ocean itself.
If it was infinite, it would behave mechanically like the traditional flat world. The vector sum of gravity would make gravity go straight down no matter where you were, so the terrain wouldn't be highly differentiated. Unless there were plate tectonics and underlying magma beneath this world, erosion and deposition would eventually turn the world into a uniform ocean.
If the races all spawned equally spread across the infinite world, local empires would battle it out and colonize everywhere they could, but would quickly run into other colonial empires. Neverending war between colonial powers over less developed lands. If races spawned in clumps, you'd have supernations of single united races emerging, any race that didn't do this would be wiped out.
One interesting quirk of an infinite world is that light itself would be warped by infinite gravity, and all light emitted from it would eventually curve back and hit the plane again. Meaning there would be no horizon, the world would seem to curve up in the distance until it met at a single point that always seemed to be directly overhead. So while the world is flat, it would look like you're living in an infinitely deep bowl.

world is already flat, it's just very thick in the center

>How would a flat world differ from a round world?
There wouldn't be any real depth to it.

Read the webcomics 'Unicorn Jelly' and 'Pastel Defender Heliotrope'

Both are set in universes that feature flat worlds.

>Read the webcomics 'Unicorn Jelly' and 'Pastel Defender Heliotrope'
Why would you tell someone to do something like that to themselves?
God damn it, I'd almost managed make myself forget about Heliotrope.

Fun too.

If you don't compensate with fancy movements of your light source, there would be no seasons.

What kind of batshit mindset do you have where you can rationalize a flat world but somehow real world physics selectively apply to it?

Flat Earth Society and the bevy of other flat earthers, especially those on /x/. Yes, they are just as crazy as you think they are.

everywhere would be day or night, no single part of the world would be in darkness while another is in sunlight (not including darkness)

have it so that monsters only appear at night, so the entire world becomes paranoid at night

Ships wouldn't have crow's nests.

Theoretically one could make space opera in a infinite world. Just replace planets with continents

It's magic, duh.

Though seasons are pretty fucking important. I was thinking about outlining a "flat"-world for a setting. The sun would remain stationary in the sky relative to observation from the ground. There is day night, though the local term being something more similar to "eyeblink" than day and night. The sun would dim until it was completely eclipsed for the night. Night would gradually give way to day as the Eye opened again, heralding the new day and reassuring the world that their deity is still awake.brownie points to whoever can guess what the Eye of God really is
All that said, a static sun doesn't really do seasons all that well, if at all.

I actually laughter out loud

It would be flat

Of fucking course not.
It's the goddess of life leaving the underworld in the spring and coming back in the winter. Like, how stupid you must be to not know it?

Actually people almost never believed that the world is flat. It's a XIX century invention.
Earth's circumference was rather precisely estimated in antiquity.

A huge ice plane dotted with habitable "puddle" worlds. The huge ice field would be almost impossible to traverse. Each of these worlds would have its own races and civilizations. Tunnels are created between neighboring worlds under the ice.

gravity don't work so good

well, i guess gravity works fine, but standing upright don't work so good

Well for one the corner of the world could be a well defended position, seeing as they could only approach from one side. Maybe people have tried building straight off the edge, just to see what's out there? If you didn't want anybody near the edge, maybe make it so the atmosphere thins out, and it's just kind of an eary tundra with a few corpses littered about.

People and their "gravity" nonsense. Things fall down because that's where down is. If they floated up everything would run off the disc into the Spheres. No sane god would want something like that.

The Norse thought wind came from a giant eagle beating its wings

If the world was round we could actually go round it instead of building a huge network of accomplices destined to trick people into the world being round

Rolled 2 (1d20)

that's pretty cool actually

First off. What does spherical do for us?
It makes the molten magnetic core.
What does that do?
Protect us all from instantly dying thanks to space radiation.
Also, where's the atmosphere?

>It's the goddess of life leaving the underworld in the spring and coming back in the winter. Like, how stupid you must be to not know it?
Nope. It's much more mundane than that, in a way.
They live on a Ringworld.

Oh fuck me meant for.

It would be baller as fuck
Pic very related

whats the difference between and infinite flat world and an infinite round one?

concave earth at least has some merits, unlike flat earth which is a made up hoax from modernity.

You can't really have an infinite round world, because every arbitrary edge on the two-dimensional plane that is the world's surface area eventually meets its opposite, forcing repetition and finitude. It could be space infinitely curving in on itself in all direction maybe, but that's pretty hard to imagine.

This is a pretty good video on the subject

youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

>Actually people almost never believed that the world is flat. It's a XIX century invention.
>Earth's circumference was rather precisely estimated in antiquity.

Yeah, but before antiquity, they thought it was flat.

you know, because you were there before recorded history, asking the big questions about modern concepts.

>If the world was round we could actually go round it instead of building a huge network of accomplices destined to trick people into the world being round

I was reading a Flat Earth website (as I am wont to do) and it struck me as more than regular hilarious that the writer sincerely believed that every single airplane has been made with trick glass that makes the planet look curved.

It seems like you could prove the earth was flat by making your own glass for your own plane that you build yourself, but then I suppose everyone who would teach you how to make glass would trick you into making the type that makes the planet look curved.

Well, since most people need to be taught that the world is round, it stands to reason that the first person to be able to think didn't immediately realize that the world was round.

You don't think you came to the conclusion that the world was round all by yourself, do you

If I was doing a flat world session I would copy discworld and not tell anyone.

>it's a roundcuck thread

you would not even ask such questions unless you had the leisure to wonder beyond basic needs. a mastery of geometry is required to even conceptualize such a problem, which you take for granted because it was in a text book when you grew up.

>you would not even ask such questions unless you had the leisure to wonder beyond basic needs. a mastery of geometry is required to even conceptualize such a problem, which you take for granted because it was in a text book when you grew up.
Right, which is exactly what I said?

pretty sure crop dusters and stuff have windows you can just roll down or something

this doesn't make any sense, it would imply that the earth's surfaces is obscenely larger than we have empirically measured

But then what happens with your perspective when you fly upwards?

People believe the world is flat now...

Trick air. DARPA makes the air curved around all plane windows.

5 insane people with youtube channels hardly qualifies as "people" in the societal sense

If the round world had infinite surface area, it must have an infinite radius. A great circle around a globe with infinite radius has a curvature of 0, so there would be no difference on any finite scale.

Shit, tri and bi-planes had open cockpits. Some early monoplanes had open cockpits too.

i know. it was meant to be more of a riddle/joke but i guess he didnt get it

like how an unstoppable force and an immovable object are the same thing

That's where the giant holographic projectors and nanomirrors seeded by chemtrails come into play.

Theres always the theory that gravity doesnt exist and the flat disk of earth is accellerating upwards at 9.81 m/s

Except in space opera it's typical to jump between worlds quickly, if not instantaneously. On a 2-D oceanic plane, even in fast ships you'd have to circumnavigate around entire continents to reach the place you're trying to get to.

>5 insane people with youtube channels hardly qualifies as "people" in the societal sense

One of my coworkers is a honest to god flat worlder. He told me that at the edges of the world are mile(s) high walls of ice guarded by "the government".

He also believes the moon landing was faked because rocket engines run on propane, which could never get them to orbit and the recent Ebola epidemic was engineered to kill black people after AIDS failed to do the job.

I also work with a guy who is so much like a stereotypical shitposter you'd would see on/vg/ Veeky Forums, /k/, or /pol/ shit poster it's almost not funny. Every other thing out of his mouth is a reference to MGTOW, MRA, femnazis, SJWs, "hardcore" gaming, working out, his dislike of the BLM movement, or his shit-hits-the-fan plan for when America falls and the Chinese take over. Everything he talks about comes back around to this shit to the point where he seems like a caricature and you can predict his response to anything you ask. He's forever dateless and very much prone to exaggerated ideals of chivalry. I've yet to hear him say "m'lady" yet, but I can see him doing it.

He- with a totally straight face- told me he refused to see Rogue One on the grounds that its portrayal of a woman leading male soldiers was part of the Hollywood agenda and so laughable that it would have ruined his suspension of disbelief.

I've often thought it neat to take a bit of a child-like view on it, where there's two sides of the world whose gravity pull towards each other.

Also the rim of the world is a hell of a place to sail.

>rocket engines run on propane

neat

>all these people instantly regurgitating basic astronomy like nerds out of highschool

>completely missing the fantastical element of the question

imagination is truly dead.

Make the the amount of time the eclipses themselves last (aka "night" vs "day") vary through out the year, just like IRL. In winter, night lasts longer than day, less daylight, means less heat from the sun, so therefor it gets cold and snow and shit. In summer, day lasts longer than night. Therefore more heat from the sun, so it's warmer.

>a mastery of geometry is required to even conceptualize such a problem

What? No.

You just need to be able to watch a ship sink below the horizon from a tall place then see the ship return later.

Prehistoric Polynesians could have told you the world was round. They had no idea of the size of it, but you don't need to do math to get the basic idea.

/thread

>Ctrl+F Discworld
>Only one user mentions it

Look, we could go on speculatively and bicker about Flat Earth Society or just leave it to the bloke who spent a lifetime crafting one that works.

Then please, good sir, do enlighten us with your oh so superior personal opinions.

There's a pretty good short story that uses this idea:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babylon_(story)

In the story, it turns out that the vault of the sky is actually the same thing as deep under the Earth, three-dimensional Mobius loop style.

Oops, meant to refer to

For a neat thing here, you could have a ringworld. Both sides have "down" towards the center. On the outside, the sun circles the ring for something approximately like planetary day/night. On the inside, it's eternally night, you see the other side of the ring's inside by looking up, and time is marked by the faint glow of the sun outlining the edges of the ring as it passes.

There's a lot of cool settings you can make by taking a dumb conspiracy theory, and saying "if this was true, what would the rest of the world look like to make that work?"

Most aircraft don't fly high enough to really observe the curvature of the earth anyway.

It'd be flat.

Pretty much any jetliner on a clear day, user.

>brownie points to whoever can guess what the Eye of God really is
So what was it?

i've always been smitten with this piece. could someone help me make this thing work?

>people who missed that soldiers were lead by a woman in Star Wars from the very beginning
That's some pure ideology.

There's literally no reason at all to include modern concept of physics in your fantasy setting.

The sun can be a god who rides across the sky in a magical chariot, and if someone manages to hijack it or simply kill the god there will be no sun.

The land itself can be the god of earth and mining too deep makes her angry so she creates goblins to punish the miners.

Don't take this as objective, but I always felt it was a form of rebellion, a predictable sprout to emerge from anti-intellectualism.

"Those fuckers say the world is round, well fuck em, they're wrong!"

It appeals to a base instinct. Otherwise, it would be much more easily squashed out, but since it appeals to the ego, it's almost worth dying for. The same reason you get neonazis in the UK or Israel or Russia, the same reason you get kids who turn out liberal or conservative if their parents were the opposite.

It's not an absolute opinion, though, but I feel it makes a big part of it. Just to have that chemical in your body wash over you when you flip the bird at the standard.

heeeelp

What the fuck do you want? The garden of eden is a bounded realm, if you hit the edges and keep going you enter the outer spheres which are the domains of the divine. This is basic fucking theology